• Published 23rd Feb 2012
  • 732 Views, 5 Comments

Secrets - Wild Potato98



Appleblooms heading for a cutiemark Crusador sleepover, when a cloaked foal is sitting on a hill

  • ...
 5
 732

The Mysterious Foal

Chapter 1: The Mysterious Foal

Applebloom quietly tiptoed out the door of her silent home, the only sound was the wee whisper of snores from upstairs. She then trotted into the dense rows of apple trees, it was just past dusk, when the Apple family hit the hay after a long day of Applebuckin’. Applebloom made sure that everypony in her family was sleeping before leaving.

She was happily trotting to the monthly Cutie Mark Crusaders Secret Slumber Party, at their secluded tree house. Two months ago, Sweetie Belle started the slumber parties strongly wanting a cutie mark of some sort; she thought a slumber party cutie mark would appear. Sadly it didn’t, but the sleepovers were much to fun to give up.

Applebloom had finally reached the back fence of Sweet Apple Acres; she was ready to make a turn; when she noticed a dark figure, sitting on a hill, looking over Ponyville. She quietly tiptoed forward trying to get a closer look, but she stepped on a bad zap apple; it exploded all over her and alerted the mysterious pony. The pony turned its head and looked toward her. She gasped and darted to the tree house in absolute terror.

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo were already there playing Go Fish when Applebloom burst through the door, gasping for air. Sweetie belle dropped her cards and rushed to her friends aid,
“Applebloom! What happened? Did Apple Jack catch ya??"
Applebloom finally sat down and shook her head, "Nah...on my way here..." GASP "...there was a pony on the hill...juss sittin there...watchin over Ponyville."
Sweetie Belle thought for a moment, "Maybe it was the Mysterious Mare do Well?"
Scootaloo landed on Sweetie Belle after doing a triple back flip and losing her grip on the handle bars, "Oof. Yeah, or ,maybe it was tree or a shrub?"
Applebloom shook her head, "Yall arent listenin, it was small and alive and looked like a small foal."
Scootaloo laughed, "Why would a foal waste their time watching Ponyville, the most boring place in EQUESTRIA! Besides why at night? there's so many better things to do."
Sweetie Belle shrugged,"maybe they were waiting for a meteor?"
Scootaloo shook her head, "It was probably just a rock."
Applebloom wasn't 100% sure," Well it scared the apples outta me!"

Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle continued their game of Go Fish,
"Got any Celestia of Spades"
"Nope! Go fish. Got any unicorns of hearts?"

This went on until Scootaloo got bored and decided to do something else. For the rest of the evening, the girls tried diffrent games and small hobbies in hopes of getting a cutiemark. In the wee early morning hours they all fell asleep after devouring two whole jars of zap apple jam and a fresh loaf of bread. Scootaloo was snuggling against her scooter with jam smeared along her face, Sweetie belle was curled around the empty jar of jam with her flank in the air. Applebloom looked out the window trying to see the distant hill in the darkness of the morning. Wondering who that foal was and why they were on the hill, she blew out the candle, layed down and fell asleep.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A cloaked foal sat quietly watching the nocternal activities of Ponyville. The pony sighed in despair, " If onl-", the foal sat straight up in alert; he heard something...he jerked his head in the direction of the sound trying to see if anything was there and like that, a soft explosion in the bush motioning down the unseen trail something darted away. The foal not wanting a chance to get caught, galloped downed the other side of the hill toward the mountains blocking the view of Canterlot.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Any luck?" Sweetie Belle stuck her flank toward her friends.
Scootaloo sighed, "Nah! Still blank."

"Awww." Sweetie Belle thought they would have earned a cutiemark for something; loudest snores, deep sleeper, party animal. Anything would have been nice.

Applebloom picked up her saddlebags. and opened the door for her friends, "Yall ready? We got crusadin' to do!"

Scootaloo attached her scooter to the wagon , and put on her helmet, "Ready?"

Sweetie Belle and Applebloom hopped in, "Ready!"
Scootaloo zig-zagged along the trees ducking under branches and leaping over dead branches, she escaped to her peace of mind, where it was just her, the scooter, and the space to ride around. Finally, the Crusaders made it to the center of Ponyville. Scootaloo looked back, surprised, but laughing at the same time; to see her friends jumbled and lopsided. Twigs stuck out and decorated Sweetie Belle's mane and dirt and mud smeared Applebloom's coat.

"While you were riding you forgot about us!" Sweetie Belle was helping Applebloom pull brambles out her coat, when Applebloom jumped up,

"Next time try to remember were here!"
"Hey Blank Flanks!" the snobby sneer of Diamond Tiara and the giggle of Silver Spoon greeted them. The two stuck up foals pranced over to them.

Applebloom glared at them completely forgetting the knots and brambles in her coat and mane, "What do ya'll want?"

Diamond Tiara smiled a fake innocent smile, "Nothing, I just wanted to check if our dear classmates received their cutiemarks...why I see no cutiemark, do you Silver Spoon?", Silver Spoon shook her head in fake pity, "I guess you'll never have a special talent." Diamond Tiara smirked.

Scootaloo growled,"And? At least we'll earn ours. When we get our cutiemarks it means we'll have a talent, I bet yours was given; you know since being a spoon...I'm sorry, a silver spoon is oh-soo talented."

Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon glared in pure hatred at the three foals, scoffed and walked on.
"What yall wanna do today?" Applebloom pulled the last twig out of her mane and fixed her bow.

Sweetie Belle was about to suggest something but Scootaloo's hoof stopped her, " Sweetie Belle, youve suggested enough...lets go to Sugarcube Corner and get a cupcake." They smiled and headed to the sugary sweet bakery.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ "Dusk! It's time to wake up! Please get up!"

The foal pulled his blanket over his head, "MMMrrmmmm!" His mother being terribly impatient, magically pulled the covers away from him,

"Please," the beautiful voice of Princess Celestia filled his ears, "Mountain Dusk, why are you so tired in the morning?"

He groggily sat up, "I was..uh...restless...again."
She sat at the end of his bed, "What have I told you?"

"Not to sneak out."

"I know your curious about the outside of the castle, but its a harsh world out there."

"Not Ponyville." he muttered it under his breath loud enough to notice it but not understand it.

"What?"

'Nothing, nothing."
She nodded, and gracefully walked out. Mountain Dusk calmly crawled out of bed and trotted to his terrace, surronded by mountains and brush. He sighed in satisfaction. An eagle soared around the mountain, the beauty of it took his morning breath away, the eagle landed beside him and perched itself majestically, Mountain petted its feathers, "I wish i could fly; and be free like you." the eagle gave a confused look and looked over toward his center back, "Its not like I can use those with mothers' magic protecting me. They aren't able to fly in or around the castle." Mountain Dusk leaned against the railing and watched the morning happenings of the nature around him.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The sun was setting as Mountain Dusk jumped over his terrace, he landed perfectly and began the high climb over the familiar rocky hills and trails, he was prepared for. Most foals, well grown ponies also, would have problems climbing and walking up and through mountains, but not him he knew it all to well. As hiked his mind trailed of to a not-so-long-ago memory:

An indigo- gray foal managed to clamber up rocks and around shrub and brush. He had never felt more free, when the sun was almost setting he looked up and saw a ledge, he tried to grab hold but it crumbled beneath his hoof, and began hurtling toward him. He pushed himself to the mountain and felt the rocks brush past his wings and back. When he was sure the rock slide was over he pushed himself to the next ledge a little bit away from him, then the next, until he pushed himself up to a flat surface. He looked around, he did it. he jumped and squealed in pure delight. He stopped and began to look around, he felt something. He felt like he belonged here. When he was about to turn around and leave he noticed a small town at the bottom. The sun was just setting a small sparkle and flash appeared over his flank. He looked back to see a cutiemark. He gawked at it, it was a gray mountain against the setting on the Celestia sun and the rising of the Luna moon. From that night, his hooves became tough as stones, his eyes stained with courage and determination.

He remembered that night like it was yesterday, but he slid that thought aside and continued on. Sneaking out of the castle and hiking over the mountains was never done at a fast pace. He never wanted the thrill to leave and besides Ponyville would always be there.

He saw hill few yards away, quiet, serene, and looking over Ponyville. As he climbed up he put his hoof in a hole and lost his balance, but as he was about to fall; a hoof caught himand pulled him up, "Evenin'! Like an apple? That was one mighty climb ya did there."
_________________________________________________________________________________________________" Evenin'! Ya' there?" Applebloom was standing to the side letting him catch his breath. Mountain Dusk panicked and hung his head,
" I'm sorry for trespassing. I wont come here again." He went to turn around, but Applebloom called him back,
" Ah don't think so, ya look exhausted! Come sit down!" She held out a juicy apple, he ready to take a turn and go, but that apple looked so delicious and the foals' golden eyes hypnotized him to stay. He walked over and sat down beside her, and she nudged the apple to him. "Ah'm Applebloom! Ah live here' on Sweet Apple Acres. Ah saw yesterday, in this spot! Ah don't mind ya being here, ah was jus curious, thats all." she looked over to see him sitting awkwardly and nibbling on his apple, guilt slowly crept over here, "Ah'll leave ya now, ah see that ah was botherin ya." she turned to leave, but was stopped by a hoof on her shoulder,

"Wait! I'm Mountain Dusk...I live in Canterlot." he didn't reallly want to tell her to much, but went more with his gut feeling than his brain tonight. he gulped his small breath of fear and waited for her to answer.

"Thats a mighty hike, ya did. Ah mean from Canterlot to lil ol Ponyvile. Those rocky trails dont look all that easy to gallop on."
He blushed at her admiration for him, "It was nothing. Thats how I received my cutiemark," he lifted his cloak ever so slightly to show his flank, it was dark enough to make the Celestial sun and Luna moon look normal.

Applebloom leaned in, from what she could see; it was one of the best cutiemarks she's ever seen, "Wow. When did ya get it? If ya wanna talk a'bout it?"`

He shifted uncomfortably, "Uh not really; what's your cutie-" he stopped noticing she was pulling herself in, he looked to her flank...blank," Oh I'm sorry...uh i mean..." his words trailed off as he was trying to think of a way to take the awkwardness away.

"It's not a problem, ah dont have one yet. uh, ya want another one?" she lifted an apple with her nose, and passed it to his waiting hooves., "So are ya from Canterlot, or juss live there for now?"

"I live there, and am from there."

"Really, are ya sure?"

"I'm pretty positive.

"Where do ya go ta school?"

"I'm home schooled."
Applebloom continued her "20 questions"(which turned into one hundred), until she fell asleep curled on the ground beside him. Mountain Dusk magically appeared a wagon and lifted her inside. He began to pull her through the dense orchard, following the faint hoofprints till he reached an opening. He looked in awe at the well cleaned tree house, painted in pastel colors, in the dark he could only tell by the moon's light it was friendly and cozy. He pulled the wagon close to the tree and lifted Applebloom on his little back,carried her up the stairs and carefully set her down on the floor. He tucked a blanket over her and galloped away.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

It was dawn when he returned, he instantly trudged to his bed and fell asleep sprawled out on it as his mother walked in,
"Dusk?" his mother softly shook him awake, "Dusk? where were you?" the princess stood, her eyes soft but furious. Mountain Dusk sat up and chuckled lightly,

"Nowhere, just outside."

"Really?"

"Yes."

"Would you like to tell me the truth now?"
Mountain Dusk gulped, shook his head and firmly stated,"No."
Princess Celestia smirked, walked out and came back with Princess Luna. Luna had a stern look on her face and avoided eye contact with Mountain Dusk.

"Morning Princess Luna!" Princess Luna did return Mountain's bright smile, instead she walked up to him and gently tapped her horn with his a blue light glowed around there heads.
Mountain Dusk's head filled with images of him and Applebloom under the- now he understood, the moon. Princess Luna watched the whole event and tattled to his mother.

"Dusk! You diosbeyed me! You left without permission, and then was caught by another pony!" her eyes burned with fury from her son's rebellious acts; but inside she felt fear of what might've happen if other ponies find out about her son...her's.

Dusk smiled,"Mother! She's my friend...yeah...my friend. My first friend!" the more he said it the more he beamed and the more confidence he had. Princess Celestia softened,

"I know! I know this isn't fair to you, but I understand you need a companion of some kind to help you. So I will allow you to continue these few conversations, but only her! I can't have to many ponies digging around our secrets!"
Luna looked rather displeased, she scoffed and trotted off to bed. Dusk didn't mind, he layed on his bed and opened up a book and began to study the geography of mountains around the world.

"Dusk?"

"Yeah ma?"

"Be careful."

He grinned,"I always am."
Princess Celestia went to her throne, sat down, and began to cry, nearby maids and servants came to comfort her, but it didnt help much. looking at Mounatin Dusk reminded her too much of his father. She remembered the young stallion she fell in love with,

It was an extremely sunny day in Canterlot, Princess Celestia was taking a slow stroll through the gardens of the castle, when of the Royal Guard's gracefully landed a few yards away, he waited patiently for the Princess. Princess Celestia noticed him out of the corner of her eye, a well groomed dark indigo-gray guard...new, she had never seen him around the castle; and his armor was sparkling new. She addressed him in a friendly manner, "Good morning soldier. What is needed?"

the colt looked straight on like a proper soldier, "Captain Cloud requests your presence at strategy planning, tomorrow evening." the colt tensed every bone in his body to stray away from looking directly at the princess.

"At ease soldier. What is your name?"

"Private Redwood."

"You may be top soldier around your fellow guards, but around me, be yourself..." her eyes locked with his. He melted inside at her steady gaze. She's lovely,he thought....then shook himslef out of his daze, 'she's the princess don't be a fool!' he carefully slipped his face out of her hooves, as she was curving the outline of his young face.

"Yeess...ma'am." he went back to his soldier position saluted and took off.

Private Redwood fell in love with Celestia and Celestia with him. Their love was secret due to tabloids and how it would seem to be an awful thing for the Princess to have an affair with one of her own guards. Although the secrecy tore them apart constantly, they endured through it. Time flew by, and they began to see eachother everyday. Princess Celestia was as happy as she could be.

Princess Celestia had a monthly check-up to make sure nothing was wrong and she would have happy long life. The doctor did his normal routine, but somewhere during her X-ray he gasped. After he was finished with the rest of the procedure he called the Princess over to him, "Um..uh..Prinnncess Celestia?"

"Uh, yes?"

"I'm not sure how to tell you this, but, uh...your pregnant."
At first she was shocked and wasn't sure how to respond, but she soon became filled with joy, "Really? Oh I must tell him." she went to go, but the doctor stopped her, "Um, Princess Celestia; I'd reccomend, you don't tell anyone, keep in mind the harsh people in this world."

Celestia stopped, Celestia may act like a regal ruler..but in actuality she was scared...scared of rebels, tabloids,anyone who had a reason to threatened her authority, "Your right, none of Equestria shall know!"

"Princess!" her thoughts retracted and she was brought back to Equestria and complaints of her citizens.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Applebloom woke to three ponies poking and prodding her, "Finally yer awake!" Apple Jack had been awfully curious why Applebloom slept in the treehouse without the crusaders.
Applebloom sat up, "Mornin' AJ! Scootaloo? Sweetie Belle?"

"Why are you in the treehouse? I don't remember planning a sleep over last night."

"Were you looking for that 'shadow'?" Scootaloo pushed past Sweetie Belle.

Then Sweetie Belle pushed past Scootaloo, "It was the Mysterious Mare do Well?!" Scootaloo growled,

"Tree!"

"Mare Do Well!"

"Tree!"

"Mare Do Well!"

"Alrighty there lil fillies, settle down now!'
Apple Jack tried to control them but Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle tackled eachother to the ground. Apple Jack managed to pull them apart, "Tree or Mysterious Mare Do Well, it don't matter! Applebloom, why in Equestria were ya out here'!" Apple Jack watched Applebloom with threatening demeanor.
Applebloom panicked,"Uhh...um..Ah juss love this treehouse so much!" She ran to the curtain and all around,"Ah love this wall, Ah love this curtain!"
Apple Jack backed off, "Uh.. ohkay...then. Ah gotta go help uh..Big Macintosh. Ya'll go play now."
When Apple Jack was outta sight Sweetie Belle pounced on Applebloom,"What were you doin' out here Applebloom?"

"Uh..ya were right, ah was lookin' for that shadow."

"Oh."
Applebloom was relieved when they stopped pestering her with questions. She didn't recall coming back to the treehouse. 'Ah remember eating, talking and sleeping. Ah fell asleep on the hill...so how did ah get to the treehouse?'
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Mountain Dusk climbed up the small hill over Ponyville. A familiar filly bounced up to him, "Ah hope ya won't mind me joinin' ya!" Applebloom stood at the top with a basket of apples, she held out her hoof, it lingered for a moment until he finally accepted her help,

"You know, I could get use to this."