• Published 31st Jan 2013
  • 1,231 Views, 16 Comments

Shadows of Dusk - Radiant Dawn



The past can haunt the longest of memories for long spans of time...and for an eternal being, that span may very well be eternal. What happens when that memory is given form and sentience? Can a mere shadow become more than darkness?

  • ...
7
 16
 1,231

Chapter 3: A New Day for the Blade

Chapter 3: A New Day for the Blade

As I expected, when I woke, the sun was well on its way past the midpoint of the sky, which meant I had slept upwards of nine hours...

Far more than a royal should sleep.

I nearly bounded out of my bed at this realization and spent an amazingly short amount of time bathing...just under four minutes.

As I dashed out of the washroom and into my walk-in wardrobe, I suddenly drew a complete blank.

‘I was supposed to do something when I woke up...something important...’

“Luna!” I suddenly shouted out loud, and began haphazardly pulling on a pair of pants, an undershirt, and a vest before draping my coat over it all and hurrying out the door.

“You forgot socks, shoes, your sword, and your pants are on backwards.” stated a familiar voice from behind me.

I sighed and lowered my head before opening my door and muttering, “Thank you, Spike.”


Some time later, my friend and I were making our way through the palace, thankfully with me being properly dressed.

“So what exactly had you so riled up in the first place?” Spike asked curiously. “I mean, from what I can tell, you’re a pretty chilled-out guy normally...so what happened, did you realize you forgot to wear a wrap for some fun or something?”

Among others, such a lewd comment would be grounds for a fine...but Spike was a dear friend, and it was a common way we related to each other.

I chuckled and shook my head. “Thank the stars it was nothing like that.” I then sighed as we continued to walk. “No...I have made amends with Luna finally.”

“Really?” the young dragon-blooded man asked. “Dude, that’s awesome! It’s about time, too.”

I nodded with a sigh. “Indeed...”

My friend then bumped his shoulder against mine. “It is a good thing, right?”

I nodded without hesitation. “Of course it is. I just fear that perhaps I will ruin this new bond we share.” I felt my eyes avert of their own volition as I added, “I do not know if I could survive her scorn again, especially if it was my fault.”

“That seems kind of...well, dramatic. Especially for you.” Spike commented wryly.

I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Luna is my other half, Spike. It was nearly physically painful to have her so angry at me.”

“So wait,” the dragon-blood began carefully, “you’re in love with the princess? Aren’t you kinda like, the same person kinda-sorta?”

I shrugged. “It has been so long since I was my own person that I have forgotten who I was. Who I became when Luna and I were merged is who I am now, and stars willing, who I will continue to be.” I smiled fondly at the thought of my new life. “I have friends again, and a family. It is more than I could have ever wished for.”

“I love how you totally dodged my first question.” Spike said with a grin.

I sighed. “Spike, I am unsure what romantic love even is. I cannot remember if I have ever cared for one in such a way, and truthfully, I do not know if I could care for Luna in such a way. Not because of her as a person, but because of who we are to each other. The closest bond we share is that of a brother and sister, as it is the only connection I can think of that relates to our unique arrangement.”

Spike shrugged as we arrived at the dining hall. “Well, is that what you want for the two of you to be? I mean, you two would be a first as far as a relationship of any kind, so there isn’t really a rule for it.”

I shrugged as I pressed the door open. “I am just unsure if that is what she wants...if that is what I want.” I then shook my head to clear the thoughts as we strode towards the table that mother and Luna were sitting at. “Besides, the eclipse is in another five days. I have more important things to worry about at the moment.”

“Whatever man. I think you’re overthinking it, but I guess that’s for you to figure out on your own.” he replied dryly. He then turned to me as we stopped beside the large oaken table. “Anyway, I’ve got some work to do for Celestia before I head back to Ponyville. You gonna be alright?”

I nodded with a smile, enjoying my good friend’s concern. “I will be fine, Spike. Thank you for your company.”

“No problem, man. I’ll visit again when I can.” he replied before walking away towards the large doors that led to the landing dock.

I watched my friend leave before taking my seat to Luna’s right, in between her and the solar princess.

“How nice of you to finally join us, Nightblade.” mother quipped.

I rolled my eyes to shoot a reply back, but Luna did so for me. “He forsook sleep to watch over me as I rested, Tia. Much as the guard wishes to believe otherwise, he is not invincible.” Luna then nudged me with a smirk.

“Yes, and I must thank you for keeping Luna company during the night.” mother added gratefully as she gazed at her sister. “Though she would never admit it to our subjects, she is lonely at night.”

I shrugged with a smile as I took a sip from the glass of wine provided to me. “In truth, no thanks is needed. I enjoyed my time with her every bit as much as she did, but you are welcome all the same.” I then looked to my left and caught eyes with the night princess. “If I have anything to say about the matter, the moon princess will never be lonely again.”

Happiness the likes of which I’ve never seen before flashed through Luna’s eyes at that moment, and she smiled so brightly it nearly outshined the radiant light in the sky.

“I am so pleased that the two of you are so close. It is more than I could have hoped for.” I heard mother comment from beside me.

I nodded as I turned my attention back to the sun princess. “And it is all I could have hoped for. I feel confident now that the eclipse will be bearable.”

“Indeed, Nightblade...and Cassie will be happy as well to know that her brother doesn’t have to hide in the palace private quarters for a half-year.” mother answered with a smile.

I couldn’t help but let a smile grace my features as I felt contentment suffuse me. I had no doubt in my mind that my unveiling was going to be difficult and awkward for the people to understand and accept who I was, especially with the way biased historians had written the story. Nonetheless, I was gladdened by the fact that I would no longer need to hide, and it would be untrue of me to say I was not looking forward to the eclipse now.

“Hopefully without armor on, our subjects will not be so afraid of you.” Luna suggested as she brought a slice of jam-topped toast to her mouth.

I smiled at the moon princess, truly grateful to her. “I do hope so, Luna.”

“So, what is on the agenda for today, my son?” the sun princess asked with a smile.

I shrugged. “I have not seen Quickwrite all day, so I am unsure at the moment.” It was then that I noticed the young man approaching with a nervous jog, and I smirked. “Ah, speak of the devil.”

He rolled his eyes as he stopped in front of me, and smiled as he bowed slightly. “Hello highnesses.” He then turned directly to me. “Prince, today you are to meet with Windwarden Celia ‒ she has requested to speak with you regarding the encroaching centaurs to the north. After that, you are to stand in for Armsmaster Shining Armor at the quarterly defense meeting, and following its end, you are to report to Princess Luna for a very important meeting.”

I looked to Luna from beside me and quirked my eyebrow as I asked, “Very important meeting, hm?”

The moon princess did not break her serious gaze as she nodded, though I could see the teasing glint in her eye. “Very important, and I expect you promptly after the defense meeting.”

I shrugged as I stood and gave a slight bow to the two princesses. “Well then, I will begin immediately. I bid you both a good day.”

“Goodbye, Nightblade...be safe.” the sun princess replied with a small smile.


”So,” I began as Quickwrite and I strode through the palace, towards the audience chamber, “what must I know in regards to the windwarden?”

My companion looked through his notes and jotted a few things down before turning the page. “Well, the griffons are a warlike race. They respect strength and battle prowess, and shun any who do not possess it. What they lack in magic, they make up for with training, military tactics, and sheer brutality. They are not known for taking prisoners and do not take kindly to disrespect. Look her in the eyes when you meet, grasp her forearm firmly, and bow without breaking gaze. Other than that, I am sure you can handle it.”

I could not help but utter a chuckle at the situation. “Meeting with predators is always interesting.”

“I hope you do not mind, but the windwarden has asked to meet with you alone, so I will not be accompanying you.” Quickwrite stated. He then added, “It is customary among her people to do so, do not worry.”

I smiled and shook my head. “I do not. I am armed with both steel and magic, so I doubt an assassination attempt would take place.”

“An assassination is not what I’m worried about.” he mumbled. We then stopped in front of an open archway which bordered the room in which the ambassador was waiting. “Alright, here we are. For the love of Celestia, please be respectful.”

I knew he was poking me with good-natured humor, so I simply smiled and nodded. “All will be well, Quickwrite. I will meet you outside when we are finished.”

“Good luck, prince.” he stated with a smile.

I watched the young man as he walked away, and once he disappeared behind the stone pillars that framed the open walkway I turned to enter the large chamber, noticing the large white griffon waiting patiently for me. She wore not a traditional garb of nobility, instead choosing to wear a full suit of armor, as was customary for her people.

She stood as I approached, and extended her large taloned limb in a gesture of goodwill. “Prince Nightblade, it is an honor.”

Her voice was as flowing and soothing as a warm summer breeze, and yet it held an undertone of strength that I took notice of. Her mere presence demanded respect, and I found no reason not to oblige.

I extended my hand and clasped her forearm as Quickwrite had advised me, bowing slightly. “The honor is mine, Windwarden Celia.”

She held my gaze until we released each other, and then she sat down at the head of the large table in a chair that was specifically designed for griffon comfort. “So, I presume the young Quickwrite has advised you of the situation, yes?”

I nodded, holding my gaze with her bright golden eyes. “He has. If the facts serve true, I am told the centaurs are once again encroaching upon your lands, correct?”

The windwarden nodded before reaching into a pack that draped over the shoulder of her silver armor, passing a few documents to me. “That is correct. From what we gather, they are not of the civilized tribes of the High Weald, and seem to wish only for war.”

I took the documents in hand and looked them over, and as I did so, my expression slowly darkened. “I see that peace talks have not gone well.”

“That is correct.” she affirmed. “Though my people live for the thrill of battle, we do not fight without reason. The most recent request for a peace talk ended in disaster. Twelve griffons dead, with over fifty wounded...and no headway made in a treaty for peace.”

I continued looking over the reports, but nodded. “I apologize for the tragedy, windwarden. Have you spoken to the Gladerunner tribe in regards to this?”

“They are distrusting of my people...though I cannot say without good reason.” she replied nervously.

I brought my gaze to hers and raised my eyebrow. “Explain, please.”

She let loose a close-beaked sigh before replying, “Our relations recently are tenuous at best, with outright hostility towards any military personnel. The previous regent-lord’s planned slaughter of nearly their entire people is the fault for this, but the criminal elements from our kingdom constantly pilfering their resources also plays a part.”

I nodded. “Very well. I will meet with them in two day’s time, at which point I will negotiate with them and will have a solution for you. Being of a different tribe nearly assures your ability to deal with the invaders at your discretion, but I wish to be positive before doing so. Neither of our people can afford a war with the centaur nations.”

The windwarden’s face lit up slightly at my words, and she nodded. “Thank you, prince. We will not forget this kindness.”

I grinned and shook my head. “Do not thank me yet, Windwarden Celia. Save such thanks for when I advise that your people are open to handle the encroachment how you wish. For now, tighten the border and warn your people to steer clear of the northeast border.”

“It will be done.” the griffon ambassador assured.

I nodded. “Good. I will likely opt to arrive directly at the Cloud Temple to meet with you after the talks have concluded. As I said, I cannot promise you anything at the current time, but I am optimistic. You can expect me to arrive in the late afternoon of Wednesday. I will attempt to conclude my business in the Weald with all haste, so I ask you please notify your soldiers of my visit. I would prefer to not have any more scars.”

The griffon nodded with a predatory grin. “Oh I am sure you could handle things, but very well, I will advise our forces of your visit.” She then stood and reached her clawed hand out to mine, which I again took and grasped firmly. “Thank you for your time, prince. It was an honor.”

“It was an honor to meet with you as well, Windwarden Celia. Safe travels.” I replied with a nod.

The griffon left the room, and was joined by her guards outside before flying away. I also left the room to meet with Quickwrite, who was awaiting my return in the garden next to the meeting space.

The young man looked up at me as I approached, and stood up from the stone bench. “Hello there, prince. How did it go?”

I shrugged as I made my way to follow him towards the Lunar Tower, where the defense meeting was to be held. “It went as well as I could have hoped. It appears the rogue centaurs are causing more trouble than we believed. I worry that if we do not handle this diplomatically, we could have a war with the Centaur Nations on our hands.”

“Yes...that would be a pity.” Quickwrite replied sarcastically.

I stopped abruptly and sighed, a little disheartened. “Quickwrite, I know that you do not think much of the centaurs, but they are an honorable people that have been civilized longer than our people have. You do not have to like them, but I ask that you still show respect.”

Understanding his folly, my assistant readily nods. “Understood, my lord. Apologies.”

I shook my head with a smile. “No one is perfect, Quickwrite...not even we royals. To ask you to do and think nothing wrong would be asking the impossible. I simply ask that you strive for perfection. Do I expect you to attain it? No, I do not...that does not mean, however, that you cannot fight to be the very best you can be. Is that understood?”

Again he nodded. “Yes...and thank you.”

“Anytime, Quickwrite.” I replied with a smile.


The defense meeting was drab, even as far as a meeting with nobles went. For the most part, the different members of the Equestrian Defense Security Force advised me of that which I already knew: the rogue centaur clans were becoming more and more of a problem across the land. Thankfully for the moment, the radical centaur faction was currently pinned against the North Sea, and with a dragon settlement in the islands of the coast, they were rather restricted in their movements.

I was quite pleased when the meeting was adjourned early, on account of the fact that there was little to discuss besides the centaur encroachments.

As I left the meeting chamber, I was flagged down by Luna herself, who was waiting for me outside. It was still a rather novel feeling, having the night princess so friendly towards me, but instead of resisting such a change, I relished it.

I approached the princess and smiled happily, greeting, “Good afternoon, princess. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Luna smirked and quipped, “A pleasure simply to see me? My, you are easy to please.”

With any other woman, such a remark would have immediately been interpreted as flirtation, but I shrugged it off. After all, two days before, the princess could barely stand to be in the same room as me. So instead, I assumed the princess was simply “busting my balls” as Spike would say.

With this in mind, I simply smiled and accompanied the princess to wherever she had in mind, confident it would at the least, be entertaining.


The next thing I knew, I was standing upon a cloud high in the sky with my wings disabled with a spell, and my magic inhibited with an inhibitor ring.

How do I get myself into such situations?

“Luna, this is a very bad idea!” I exclaimed as I looked over the edge of the cloud surface.

The princess rolled her eyes and tapped my forehead gently. “Come now, Nightblade. You will be fine, I promise.”

I grumbled, “I better be. If I perish, I will be sure to haunt you for the rest of your days.”

The night princess shrugged as she replied, “Eh, you will tire of haunting after the first hundred years or so. I will take my chances.”

I gazed over the edge of the cloud again and found that we had moved away from Canterlot, meaning that there was no mountain to buffer the distance...only a straight drop from sky to ground.

I backed up and shook my head. “Woah, I am not alright with this anymore. There is no way I am jump-”

A soft hand pressed on my back firmly, and I fell.

“-iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnng!!!” I yelled as I fell.

Contrary to the way most stories portray a falling person, I did not scream in terror the entire way down. Instead, after a few hundred feet, I resigned myself to the loss of my own “safety net”, and realized I was putting my life in Luna’s hands.

I never should have worried.

A hundred or so feet off of the ground, a spell exploded in front of me into what looked like a very viscous material, and when I impacted it, it felt as if I were being cradled by gelatin of some sort. As soon as I slowed to a stop, the spell dissipated, and I dropped to the ground, landing on my behind rather clumsily.

Luna, by her token, landed some distance away from me, laughing quite loudly and without restraint. Tears were dropping from her eyes from how hard the laughter was shaking her body, and the few guards that were watching from different parts of the palace were also laughing.

I rolled my eyes and stood, thrusting my hand towards Luna. “Alright fine, have your laughs. Get this ring off of me, please.”

My tone must have been more scathing than I believed, because as the ring was removed from my finger, I caught sight of a very worried look in the night princess’ eyes as she stopped laughing. “You are not upset, are you? Apologies, Nightblade...’twas a jest, nothing more.”

Once the ring was gone, I quickly thrust the magic-cancelling device upon Luna’s own ring finger before casting a spell on her and smirking. “I do not get upset, princess...I get even.” With that, I teleported both of us to a point where only the icy cirrus clouds called home ‒ nearly ten miles into the sky, with nothing but open air below us. Without any sort of warning, we both began to fall.

With no magic to save her and no wings to stop her fall, Luna panicked and screamed.

I fell next to her, reclining as if on a comfortable chair, enjoying the revenge I was giving to the night princess. “Ah. I have always enjoyed the crisp air of the stratosphere. It is unfettered and clean.” I then looked to my left with a smirk and shouted, “Are you well, princess?”

She leaned her body forward and floated over to me, grasping my collar with both hands, even as ice crystals began to form on both of us. “Get us DOWN Nightblade!”

I grinned nonchalantly. “Oh we’ll be down soon enough, princess.”

I waited for a few seconds longer until the ground would soon be upon us, at which point I grasped the night princess and pressed her against me before opening my wings and slowing our fall. After a moment of gliding, we landed softly upon the ground in front of the palace gates, much to the confusion of everyone present. The two guards, by their token, were unable to contain their guffaws, and it was likely all they could do to stay standing. I could not fault them for this, as until now it only Cassie and Cadence who they had seen acting so candidly.

It was only after a few moments of watching the guards that I noticed I was still holding Luna tightly against me, and also found it odd that she could do little else besides look up at me with a smile. I released her gently to avoid offending her, and stepped away, sporting my own smile.

Her smile softened a bit as she commented, “Well, I suppose we are even now.”

I was subtly relieved that she chose to spare me her ire, but opted not to show it. “I believe we are. Now, what have you planned for the night?” I forced myself to keep from cringing at the question. It had simply slipped out, with no forethought put into it. I could only hope that the princess would not be put off, seeing as how-

“Nothing, Nightblade. Would you join me?” she answered happily.

I fought to keep from gaping at her in surprise, and instead returned a smile before nodding. “I will, if you will have me.”

Luna walked forward and extended her hand, allowing me to remove the dampening ring from her finger. Once that was finished, she looped her arm in my own and gently guided me through the palace gates. I could see the confusion clear on the faces of the guards as we passed them, but they offered no comments one way or another. That was besides the fact that I was not entirely focused on much, other than the feel of Luna’s soft warmth pressed against me as we walked.


Night had fallen hours ago, and Luna had little to do this night other than look over some scouting reports from our border with the gryphons, so she was currently spending time in her quarters as I washed, changed, and then made my way back to her. Perhaps a fluffy violet evening robe was not what one would normally consider appropriate to wear outside one’s private quarters, but being royalty had its perks. No guard would say anything in regards to it, and I was treated the same no matter my clothing.

What did garner a few curious eyes was the fact that I was dressed as such ‒ complete with silk pajamas and a violet nightcap ‒ while making myself from my quarters to Luna’s. This was likely a surprise for a few reasons. The first was that until recently (earlier in the day, to be specific), it was a well-known fact that Luna and I were completely at odds with each other. Also, Luna was known for being extremely solitary, no matter the time of day. Lastly, Luna was sexually pure ‒ a “virgin”, I believe is the term used nowadays ‒ and was expected to keep any and all men at arm’s length for that reason.

So, from the outside observer, it likely seemed quite odd that I was approaching her chambers in my nightclothes, having advised my guards to leave me undisturbed until morning.

I did not mind, however. I had explained to my own guard captain the situation between us, and thus had convinced him that no unbecoming activities came from my time with the night princess. Although, I will admit I likely looked rather odd with my sword still clasped to my side.

The guards at Luna’s door simply nodded to me before knocking, the left one announcing, “Princess, your guest has arrived.”

A few moments passed in silence before the large ebony doors opened, revealing Luna, dressed in her own personal nightclothes. She looked me over for a moment before opening the door wider, beckoning me inside, then turned to her guards and said, “Thank you. Shift break is in two hours, so do not forget your evening meals.” The two guards offered her a nod and smile before settling back into a stock-still stance in front of her doors.

As I entered the princess’ private quarters, she gently shut the doors behind us, and strode in front of me before flopping unceremoniously face-down onto her bed, causing her soft blue hair to haphazardly splay around her head.

I cocked my head to the side as I approached, and smiled as I asked, “Are you well, princess?”

She blindly reached around on her bed until her hand contacted an unrolled scroll, which she thrust toward me. I accepted the parchment and opened it before reading aloud:

“With attention to all royals of Equestria:

The Eclipse is fast approaching, and we must take precautions against a dire threat.

Each solar eclipse has brought rumors of the Nightmare returning to Equestria, and while proven sightings have not come about, such rumors are dangerous to the public’s safety and peace of mind.

Thusly, the Merchant’s Guild of Equestria has seen it prudent to call for aid from the Gryphon Kingdoms in case the Nightmare decides to attack once again. The people of Equestria will rise up and protect our home, fear not.

With respect, we ask that the royals of Equestria pass on any new information regarding the validity of said rumors, so that we can confirm or deny the plausibility of the Nightmare’s return.

-Guildmaster Filthy Rich”

I set the parchment down and looked with worry to Luna. “Well now, this could be a problem.”

Luna turned her head and looked up at me with a sigh. “It will be no problem to deal with, Nightblade. My concern is the very fact that such rumors are passing around the populace. There are so few that know of what you truly are, and even fewer have direct access to you during the solar months. With that in mind, this means that someone has been talking a little too much.” She then rolled to her side and propped herself up, and I couldn’t help but stare at how amazing she looked in her own moonlight. “I only worry that the truth will be leaked before we wish it to be, which will not be a good thing. It could cause mass panic or a full-scale revolt.”

It took me a few moments to tear my eyes away from the lunar princess, but I did so before hanging up my sword on the bedpost and sitting down beside her with a shrug. “Clearly whoever spoke of such things either drank too much or knew too little in order to pass on any dangerous information. Rumors are simply rumors, and the coming eclipse will allow us all to put them to rest.” When I turned my eyes back to her, Luna was gazing at me with a grin on her face, which only made me confused. “What?”

She brought a hand up and batted at the end of my nightcap. “A nightcap? Really? Those haven’t been worn by the general public since before I was born.”

I frowned and pulled the cap off, inspecting it. “It is not that out of date, is it?”

Luna gently pulled the cap from my hands before running her hand through my hair with a smile. “You need not dress up for me, Nightblade. You are in your nightclothes, in my room, with me and me alone. Truthfully, I would not care if you showed up only in your smallclothes, were it not for the fact that these bodies are so much more revealing than that of a pony. So I believe it is safe to say a nightcap is not needed around me.”

I suppose normally I should have been a bit embarrassed about what Luna had said, but then again, the relationship we shared was far from typical, in any terms. I honestly do not think anyone knew another as intimately as Luna and I knew each other. With that being the case, certain things that would normally be embarrassing were...well, not.

What I knew for sure was that I loved it whenever she touched me, though I couldn’t place why. It felt almost as if the contact with her was returning to me a part of myself that I had lost, which considering the specifics of our connection was rather close to the truth. All I knew was that if I could spend every day with Luna without causing certain rumors to arise, I would. Still, I was pleased that in the privacy of the palace, I did not need to censor my actions as I did in public, nor did I have to worry about what the general public would think about how close Luna and I were. Not to mention the fact that I was in my nightclothes, in her bedroom, with her.

“Nightblade?” called Luna, causing me to again focus my attention on her. She eyed me quizzically for a moment before asking, “Did my comment about your smallclothes offend? I did not mean it in an insulting manner.”

I chuckled and shook my head. “Not at all, Luna. I was just thinking how odd it would sound to the outside listener should they have heard such a thing. Indecent rumors would spread.”

Luna shook her head with a grin. “Worse things have happened. During Twilight Sparkle’s early tutelage, rumors circulated that she was being loved in an indecent way by sister. It took her unveiling of her consort, Pine Winds, for the rumors to abate.”

I remembered meeting mother’s consort before, though he was often abroad, doing work for the crown. He was a giant of a pony (and thus, a giant of a man), and was known to be undefeated in battle. Equestria’s enemies fled at the very sight of him, and it was he that inspired me to take up the sword for my home.

I looked to the night princess with a smirk and asked, “So what do you think it would take for rumors of an incestuous relationship between aunt and nephew to abate? Because technically speaking, by your sister naming me as her son, that is what we are.”

Luna opened her mouth to retort, only to close it again as she scrunched her face up in thought. “Hmm...you are not wrong.” She then looked to me with a sly grin as she said, “I suppose we will have to keep all indecent activities to a minimum until the eclipse then.”

Had I been drinking something, I would have choked.

She held her grin for a moment before bursting into laughter, a sound which I relished. Luna truly had a beautiful voice, and her laughter was like a song flowing through a lush forest. So rare was her true laugh, that it was a treasure in itself, and I silently vowed to myself to find ways to bring it out of her more and more.

A few moments later, she caught her breath and smiled at me before patting the bed beside her. “Come, lay down and relax.”

I complied with her request and eased myself onto my back, turning my eyes towards the moon, which was easily seen from Luna’s bedroom window. My ears picked up on some shuffling of the sheets before I felt and saw Luna lay her chin upon my chest, turning her eyes towards her moon.

“You know,” she began in a near-whisper, “I used to look up at the moon as a filly, wondering what it was like up there. I used to make-believe that it was made of snow, or even ice cream.” She was silent for a few moments before she continued. “I wish I never had to find out that my beliefs were untrue.”

Without thinking, I lowered my hand and began running it gently through her hair, trying my best to comfort Luna as she spoke.

“I was foolish.” she continued sullenly. “I believed that ponies saw my night and I as unneeded and unimportant. It was only after I allowed my hatred and anger to possess me that I realized my mistake, but by then it was too late. Sister was forced to send me away, and I had to atone for my crimes.” She then sighed sadly and mused, “I wonder if things might have been different had none of that happened. Would things have gotten better, or worse? A part of me wishes to know, but another part of me is fine with the way things are now.” I watched as her eyes dropped to me. “I am pleased to know you as you are now, and I am sorry for treating you so coldly for so long. You did not deserve it, and I have no excuse other than the need to blame someone other than myself.”

I let a smile cross my face as I answered, “I forgave you as soon as you apologized the first time, Luna. There is no need to keep apologizing.”

Luna sighed through her nose as her eyes glistened slightly. “It hurt me to treat you that way, likely as much as it hurt you, but I could not stop myself. I was ruled by my anger and unresolved faults, and you were an easy target for it all.”

I offered her a gentle smile as I said, “I forgive you for all of that, Luna. I have let that past die, so please, do the same. Let us forget our past misdeeds to each other and move on.”

She sighed again, but this time it was with a smile. “Why could I have not met you before my transformation into Nightmare Moon? Things could have turned out so much differently.”

I shrugged, allowing my fingers to massage her scalp as I lay my head back and stared at the moon again. “Truthfully, I do not even remember what I was before you came along. I am unsure how I even exist now, but that is not to say I do not enjoy it. What I do know is that we cannot change the past. All we can do is keep in mind the lessons we have learned, and forge forward to a better tomorrow.” I felt as Luna’s fingers began drawing circles upon my chest, and could not help but recognize just how close our actions were to that of a courting pair. Still, Luna did not seem uncomfortable with any of it, and truth be told, it was nice just to be in contact with her. Besides, I was rather sure that Luna was simply acting in the same way that I was: doing what felt right.

We were both clothed, so all was well.

A soft knock at the doors broke the relaxing spell that seemed to have descended on us, followed by a soft female voice calling, “Princess? Your evening tea has arrived.”

Luna and I untangled ourselves from each other, and she stood and strode over to the door to open it. When she did so, a young servant girl entered and handed a tray of teaware to the princess. Luna looked over the assortment before smiling and nodding at the girl, causing the servant to bow before leaving us.

Luna turned on her heel and brought the platter to her bed, setting it down beside me and quickly pouring a cup of the steaming beverage, and I couldn’t help but pick up the scents of spearmint and fire lily nectar. The scent alone induced a feeling of peace within me, which I assumed was the reason Luna had chosen to have it before sleeping.

After she was finished, I poured myself a cup of the drink and added a bit of milk and sugar before taking a sip of the steaming beverage. The cooling effect of the mint was counteracted by the warmth of the tea itself, which gave a rather curious sensation of both warmth and cool as it flowed down my throat and into my stomach. The nectar within it left behind a tingling sensation in my mouth, and caused a pleasant warmth to spread throughout my entire body.

I hummed in delight, causing Luna to giggle at me. “Wonderful tea, is it not?”

I nodded happily. “The best I have had.”

She and I locked eyes and smiled at one another before silently enjoying our drinks.


Hours later, the two of us once again found ourselves laying on the large bed, and again with Luna taking the position above me. The tea had done its job wonderfully, and I now simply closed my eyes as the pleasant haze of relaxation suffused me. Luna had once again taken to slowly running her fingers in small shapes upon my clothed chest, which in honesty felt quite nice.

“Nightblade?” she called to me, at which I opened my eyes and looked to her. She had a nervous expression on her face as she asked, “Will you stay again tonight? I um…” she swallowed thickly, “I slept better with you here than I have in longer than I can remember.”

Truthfully, I was perfectly content doing so. Perhaps it was the effect of the fire lily nectar, but wherever Luna touched me, pleasant tingles seemed to dance upon my skin. I did not want to leave, so if Luna asked me to stay, I was more than happy to oblige.

“I will stay with you, princess.” I answered with a soft grin.

As I closed my eyes again and felt as she moved up to lay her head next to mine, I could not help but notice how the soft curves of her body pressed against me. I enjoyed it, probably more than I should have, but yet again, she saw no issue with it.

For a few moments we laid in silence before she nestled herself beside me and extended her arm across my waist, squeezing me tightly as one would a stuffed animal. “Goodnight, Nightblade. May your dreams be pleasant.”

I smiled again and settled my head to rest against hers. “And you as well, Luna.”

Sleep took me almost instantaneously, and my last thoughts were on the woman at my side.