• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 2,080 Views, 93 Comments

The Ghost Of You - MadMan



Sequel to Intension. Twilight, Luna, and the Black Berets seek to stop the unstoppable.

  • ...
8
 93
 2,080

On The Run

Twilight hadn't bothered looking up for hours. At first, she had been watching her hooves for practical reasons, as the morning sun had been in front of them and was very bright indeed. Now, however, it was afternoon and the sun was behind them, but Twilight kept her eyes lowered. There wasn't much to see anyways. Almost three hundred weary ponies, each with packs or lashed to wagons.

The breaking down of camp had commenced as soon as the wounded were tended to or packed into wagons, depending on the severity of their injuries. Some had healed enough to walk, light packs on their backs. Many of the wounded were still in the wagons, recuperating. A few able bodies had stayed behind to finish burning the dead, graves taking too much time to dig and cover. The creatures from Axion's army were left to rot.

Now they were headed east. As soon as they reached the coast, they were to turn south, and travel towards the Zebra port city of Giddia, before turning west towards the capitol. The march was projected to take just over a week, and to Twilight, it might have well been forever. Eight hours in, and she was already ready to drop. The bag on her back wasn't quite as heavy as some of the others, but it was large and bulky and awkward, and Twilight hated it.

The sun had just reached the horizon when Luna called the procession to a halt for the day. Immediately, most of the ponies groaned and as one dropped their packs where they were standing. Several pegasi immediately took to the sky, stretching their wings. They stayed low, but flew in circles, wider and wider from the camp. Once they were confident that the camp's perimeter was safe for the moment, they landed and everyone began the task of preparing for the night. No tent were erected, as it was cloudless and not so cold. Fires were started, and sleeping bags thrown around them.

Twilight threw her sleeping bag around a fire with her friends, and Luna soon joined them. The Black Berets arranged themselves in a circle around the group, and so the night was spent. There was very little conversation, as everyone was too tired. The morning was just as quiet, but instead of being too tired, they all were saving energy for the long day ahead.

The next several days were just as uneventful as the first. No enemies were encountered, although pegasi scouts sent to any nearby town all came back with the same report. Axion's forces had moved in and taken control. The locals were put to work, but it didn't seem as if they were slave laborers. The workdays weren't exceptionally long or harsh, and it appeared they got weekends off. Twilight wrote every scrap of information gathered on a notebook, and she and Luna spent time every evening going over any new information, adding it to what they already knew, trying to get a comprehensive understanding of what Axion's long term plans were.

The only thing they knew for sure was that Axion was actively increasing organized industry. Manufacturing plants had appeared in nearly every town, although what they were making and why was unclear, as the plants were too well guarded for the pegasi to get too close, and wagons leaving were covered. Mining had also been noticed, great holes in the ground with a steady stream of workers going in and out. Axion was clearly trying to boost the economy, although to what end was debated. The Black Berets all agreed that she was funding a giant army to gain control of Equestria and all surrounding lands. Luna put forth the idea that the plants were manufacturing armour and weapons for Axion's existing army, upgrading their equipment rather than try and recruit more soldiers. Twilight thought that Axion simply wanted Equestria to become the center of wealth in the known world, and gaining power by trading and political maneuvering. Pinkie Pie was of the opinion that Axion was building the largest cake in history to celebrate her domination of Equestria, but the rest of them didn't quite think that was the case.

After a week of hard marching under the relentless sun, they reached the coast. The salty air and steady wind was a miracle to Twilight, relishing the cool breeze on her face. They reached the coast just after noon, and Luna called an early day. The camp was set, and most of the procession immediately descended onto the beach and into the waves, bathing the grime and dirt of travel away. The sentries were rotated out more often then normal, so everypony got a chance to swim and relax for the first time in too long. Brittle nerves were built back up, and that night, there was conversation and even a little merriment at dinner. They were only three days hard mach away from Giddia, which everyone had become convinced they would be allowed to visit.

The march down the coast wasn't nearly as tough as the march to it. Every night, they were allowed to bathe and soak in the waves, and the sentries only had to watch in one direction, as assault from the water seemed unlikely. The days passed, and not nearly soon enough, faint lights were seen on the horizon one night after sunset. Many wanted to stop in at the port city, but Luna was adamant. None were to witness the former city of Ponyville on the march until they reached their destination. Twilight suspected that a few of the more brash young stallions had snuck out for an evening of merriment, but she was never able to prove it. Nevertheless, the next morning the congregation packed their bags and left the city behind as they moved back west.

They had only come to the coast so that they could make the march south avoiding the thickest of the jungle that they hoped would shield them from northern invasion. It wasn't very far from the coast to the capitol, but it felt like so much further.

Twilight was loathe to relinquish the charming beach, although it did mean that there was only a single day's march until the capitol. They had gone far to the south, officially leaving Equestria's borders. It was the first time in her life that Twilight had been outside Equestria, and she spend several hours mentally meditating over the fact that it didn't feel any different. Sure, the weather was slightly warmer, but the difference was barely perceptible. The flora and fauna were pretty much the same, and so the matter was soon ignored. It was a difference in name only.

Once the capital was in view, the army was called to a halt. It had been decided that they would remain outside and Luna would proceed inside, taking only Twilight with her. They met in Luna's tent, and they could only spare the time to share only a single kiss before they had to depart. They solemnly entered the city, eliciting strange looks from the zebra population, which were ignored. The central court building was easy to find, as the proud spires towered above every other building in the city. The found the Zebra Emperor, Acoreg, sitting high on his thick thrown of hewn wood. He rose and walked down to meet his guests.

"Princess Luna! It is a true joy to see you. How have you fared?"

"It was a long road, and friends were lost to Axion's forces. Pray, what news have you?"

"We have much to discuss. Let us go to privacy."

Acoreg was tall and proud, his modest golden crown dwarfed upon his head. He turned and led the pair out of the great hall, and into a well furnished sitting room, complete with fireplace and servants to bring them food or drink as desired. Twilight asked for a mere apple cider, and turned her attention back to the King, who was already discussion the situation with Luna.

"It is an intimidating prospect, to be sure. Axion moved with decisive force, and we are nervous. The Zebras do not have much by the way of military, having not needed it much for hundred of years. We have a small border patrol to the south, guarding our lands from the bandits and outlaws from the uncivilized badlands, but other than that, we are weak. If Axion were to invade in force, we would be as weeds swaying in the winds of a storm."

"It is as you say. She has numbers, yes, but they are paltry in strength. We ourselves defeated a force that outnumbered us four to one. It is truly a matter of quantity outweighing quality, and it shall be Axion's downfall."

"And what would your plan entail?"

Luna hesitated, only because the servants had arrived bearing refreshments. Luna took a sip from her glass of water, and Twilight took a drink of her cider. It was crisp and refreshing. Then it was back to the matters at hoof.

"We seek to retake the throne. Axion is an usurper. With adequate soldiers, we could force our way back into Canterlot, and remove her."

"So you seek able bodies?"

"In mass, yes."

Acoreg took a moment to think. He had ordered a salad of incomparable quality, and he took the time to take a bite and relish it. He swallowed, and Twilight saw the first vestiges of anxiety in his eyes.

"And that, my dear, is where we must reach the walls of difference. Axion had put to us a treaty. We will trade with her to certain extents, and she will not destroy my people. I have agreed, for the time. It is a matter of survival. It is sure that she will attack us eventually, but in the meantime, I will build our armies. Us Zebras are renowned for our ambush forces, and I will put them to good use. Even now, they train, in the dense jungles to the west. However, it is not time, and they not ready. I ask you, why should I provoke a snake, whose fangs are deadly but yet still hidden?"

Luna was silent for a moment, sampling more of her water.

"For the reason that the longer time you wait, the stronger Axion will become, and all the harder to defend your land from."

King Acoreg was silent for a long time. His eyes were only for his salad, and his mind elsewhere. At great length, he spoke.

"You have a point. However, I do not grant you the benefit of doubt. I think that my troops will hold our borders, as unfamiliar as she is with our lands. I will not help you, and bring death upon mine so soon."

And so the meeting was done. Pleasantries were exchanged, but Luna could find no purchase upon the King's will. He was adamant that he could hold his lands, and that giving Luna troops would bring Axion's wrath upon his Kingdom too soon. All too soon, they were leaving the castle, winding their way out of the city and back to camp.

That night was quite similar to the one in Giddia, several nights ago. The ponies were resigned and silent, staring into their bowls or the fire, whichever was more appetizing. The Zebras were cordial enough, some even donating spare food or fabric before furtively walking away, as if Axion herself were watching. Breaking camp in the morning was a somber affair, and all too soon, they were marching again.

Luna had intentionally not mentioned that an entire village was along with her, as well as the fact that they were going to camp in Zebra lands. The spot that had been chosen had been carefully selected for it's location, far from any cities or outposts. They were confident that they could stay there for an extended period of time before they were discovered, if they ever were.

They were miles from anything, secluded in a vast forest of ancient trees. The undergrowth was mild, so it didn't take very long to clear an area large enough for everyone. Tents were erected, fires were started, and food was prepared. Twilight sat with the rest of the Black Berets, who quietly ate their dinner.

Many thoughts were crossing Twilight's mind, but she ignored most of them. Her whole life, everything she had known, was now turned upside down. Now, instead of worrying about late books or enigmatic experiments, she was thinking of how to take back control of Equestria, and keep those she cared about alive.

Later, as Twilight lay down next to an already slumbering Luna, Twilight reflected on the events that had brought her to where she was. She tried to think about the future, and imagine how this could play out, but it was difficult. Axion had a strong position, that wasn't up for argument. The only thing Twilight knew for sure was that there would be much suffering before the end.

Luna's wing unfurled and wrapped around Twilight, almost as if Luna realized the conflicted nature of her lover's mind. Sleep was elusive to Twilight that night.