• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 2,078 Views, 93 Comments

The Ghost Of You - MadMan



Sequel to Intension. Twilight, Luna, and the Black Berets seek to stop the unstoppable.

  • ...
8
 93
 2,078

Nouveau Heroes

Conjuring a light to fight off the evening gloom, Luna did her best to put a stone mask over her face as she surveyed the grisly scene before her. Blood and bits of flesh were splattered everywhere on the graveled ground, as if a body were rent with an explosion. Here and there, a few larger pieces lay, giving her clues as to the pony that had once been whole. The head was mostly intact, however, and she first focused on that.

The coat had been blue, best she could tell through the blood, and a few scraps of longer hair might hint to a green mane. His one intact eye was open and bloodshot, gazing to the infinite. His mouth was open, tongue hanging out lopsided. His teeth were browned and cracked, with quite a few missing, but the ones remaining had been filed to points. Quite recently, if the gleaming white edges were anything to go by.

Looking around, Luna couldn't find anything else to go on. She sighed. An hour ago, a messenger had ran into her tent and proclaimed that Rarity and Hawkeye had been attacked. She had immediately leapt up to follow him to where they both sat unhurt, if covered in blood. After ascertaining that the blood wasn't theirs, the Princess had decided to view the scene. Nightfury had arrived and offered to assist, but so far they had only found bits of flesh and gore.

The scene not giving any clues, Luna turned to look towards Hawkeye and Rarity, standing at the edge of the clearing. Hawkeye was standing very close, sides nearly touching, and whispering what was sure to be reassuring words into her ear, though Rarity didn't seem to need them. In fact, she simply studied the area with stoic curiosity. That unnerved Luna more than anything, so she decided to go investigate.

Hawkeye took a small step away from Rarity and saluted as the Princess approached, Rarity dipping her head in a halfhearted curtsy. Luna studied her eyes, those pretty blue eyes. They were calm.

"Rarity, I need you to tell me exactly what happened."

"Yes, Princess. It happened so fast, there's not a lot to it. We were heading a bit deeper into the woods to get some practice in this evening before he left for Dodge City in the morning. Hawkeye has been helping me to improve my skills. As we were walking, we thought we heard something off to one side, a few twigs breaking, things like that. We stopped talking and were looking around, but we weren't spooked enough to turn around. Well, we came across this little clearing and decided that it looked like a fine place for a session. We hadn't been standing here for a few seconds when he charged out from behind a tree at us, shouting nonsense. He came straight at me, ignoring Hawkeye. The only weapons we had between us were my arrows, and they were tucked into my sling and would take too long to pull out and around. So, I reacted somewhat instinctively and grabbed hold of the rocks at our hooves. I sent them at him. It would seems I overdid it a touch. Half the ground rose up and cut him down. A perimeter sentry heard the commotion and came to us, and it was he we sent to you."

She fell quiet, so Luna looked to Hawkeye to add anything, but he just shook his head.

"It was as she said. He was mad, clear as day. I think he was sent by Axion. His gibberish sure sounded like it, but like I said, he was also quite insane."

"Could you comprehend anything?"

"Just a few disjointed words. Something about the purple mistress, and stuff like kill, eat, dead, hungry. What struck me was purple mistress. Axion isn't purple, is she?"

"No, but Twilight is. I wonder if he wasn't some kind of brainwashed assassin? If he were mentally deficient, it would be difficult to give him detailed instructions. So Axion could have conditioned him to kill any pony with purple in their coat, hoping he would go for the most purple one in sight. Unfortunately, he found you two before he made it to the camp, saw Rarity's mane and fixated on her."

The three ponies fell silent as they digested Luna's analysis. No one had any better ideas. A few others scoured the clearing, attempting to uncover any trace, any clue that had been missed, but as the night grew deeper and the stars came out to dance, they one by one admitted defeat, even Nightfury. Soon Luna, Rarity and Hawkeye were the only ones left in the forest. Luna caught those small glimpses that the pair shared when they thought she wasn't paying attention, and so made her excuses, leaving them to walk back to camp in private. They had scarcely left the carnage behind when Rarity sighed.

"Is this courage? Keeping the calm face on when you feel like your mind is trying to rip itself apart?"

Hawkeye answered, but only after a moment's quiet thought. His reply was barely above a whisper, and Rarity knew it was because there was no easy way to say it.

"Yes."

They took only a few more steps in the quiet woods.

"It must be the hardest thing to do for a Black Beret, keep strong when something like that happens."

"Indeed. It is something we had to try and teach Twilight before she was fully fit to be our Commander, but it wasn't anything like what just happened."

"What was her trail?"

"She had to kill a frog."

Rarity paused, cocking her head to one side in thought.

"Kill a frog?"

Hawkeye stopped too, stepping front of Rarity to meet her questioning gaze with a level one of his own.

"Yes. Nightfury was the one who administered it. It's something all Berets have to do. Usually we use something with more intelligent eyes, such as a rabbit or badger, if we can find one."

"That's horrid!"

"Yes, but if they can't kill then, in a peaceful and controlled environment, then how can they be expected to kill a pony or a griffin when the situation calls? How can we know that they won't fall apart? Long ago, the Berets used prisoners, ones slated for execution or exile, but the times have long moved past for such criminals to be in supply, in Equestria at least."

Rarity lowered her eyes. He spoke the truth, she knew. Still, it didn't so much to quieten her pounding heart, which had been beating itself senseless against her ribs since the incident.

"Can you teach me your courage?"

"I would say you have shown a surprising amount already. You acquitted yourself valiantly at Ponyville, and again tonight. I don't think I can do anything more."

"I mean... Can you teach me the courage that makes the Black Berets so strong? Can you teach me to be like you, steadfast and fearless in the face of the worst possible situations? Can you teach me to stand before the jaws of Hell, and laugh?"

Hawkeye chuckled and seated himself at the base of a thick tree, waving for her to join him. Rarity lowered herself to recline against him. He was warm, and not nearly as hard as the tree. The camp's torches were barely visible through the trees, but they both wanted a few more moments alone before going into the camp, where a plethora of questions and odd stares were sure to greet them. As Rarity got comfortable, Hawkeye sighed through his nose.

"You're mistaken. It's not our courage that makes us strong, nor our muscles, nor the enormous amount of magic each of us holds."

Rarity narrowed her eyes as she contemplated Hawkeye's words.

"Then what is it?"

"Fear."

"Fear?"

"The most driving of feelings."

Hawkeye looked away from her captivating eyes, staring deep into the shadows as if they held his memories.

"Fear allows one to leap when the gap seems too distant. It allows one to fight long past being broken, to run past time lungs are gasping. They say what we do is impossible, that we defeat enemies that are invincible. That is not true. We simply put ourselves in a situation where there is either success or death, and we fear death. It fills us with a dread that nothing on this planet can match. We fear nothing, by fearing everything."

Rarity had nothing to say. At first, the whole premise sounded silly and backwards, but the more she thought, the more it made sense. Was it not fear that had gripped her when the unknown pony came charging out of the woods with murder in his eyes? Was it not her fear that ripped him apart? What are survival instincts, if not concentrated fear?

Another idea latched onto her train of thought and followed behind it like a caboose, but she hesitated in asking.

"When... it... happened, did you notice anything about me?"

"You mean, other than reacting faster than me and in good fashion?"

"Yes, other than that. Anything... coloration-wise?"

Hawkeye narrowed his eyes.

"Well, I guess. I thought it was just a trick of the light, your swirling magic and all."

Rarity rose and stood over Hawkeye, waving with a hoof for him to remain seated.

"Did it look something like this?"

Rarity reached inside and cast a simple illusion. She didn't go for the full effect, she didn't dare, but she could at least get the colors. A dull purple glow arose and subsided, and Rarity didn't need a mirror to know it worked, she could see it in his eyes. The glossy grey coat and the royal purple with a single vivid white stripe were surely glittering prettily under the starlight. They weren't as voluptuous as when IT happened, nor was she taller and as shapely, but she was sure to look as ravishing to him as she was terrifying to herself.

Rarity closed her eyes and let the magic go, draining back to her normal hues. She again reclined against Hawkeye, who was still speechless. At least he didn't try to pull away. After a time, he found his words.

"That's exactly what I saw. What is it?"

"I don't know. I noticed it only recently. I don't know which is the cause and which is effect, but it almost always comes with visions, flashbacks to Ponyville. It most often comes when I'm practicing alone, and really get lost in the art, but it also sometimes happens in my sleep, and I wake in a cold sweat, grey and angry. But if you did just see it back there, then it must not always be the case, as I wasn't having a flashback. I just... went into a trance, I guess the best word would be. Also, I grow a little taller, and my legs and hips get a more defined and shapely curve to them. I've been wondering what it is, exactly, or if it's all in my head. I guess not, though."

"Have you asked anyone about it?"

"No, of course not. Until now, I've been worried that it was all in my head, and that I was going insane."

"Well, now you know you're not crazy, and I think Princess Luna would like to know about this. She might even know what's going on."

"If we hurry back now, we might catch her."

"Yes, let's go."

~~~~~

Luna was sorting some papers into a drawer when she heard a polite knock on the tent pole.

"Come in!"

She wasn't too surprised to see Rarity and Hawkeye. She had been wanting to go back to bed and get a nap in before seeing the Berets off at first light, but she had been expecting the two to have a nice long talk in the woods, and such talks often breed questions.

Hawkeye saluted sharply, and Rarity dipped into a full curtsy, which Luna waved off.

"No need for such formalities right now, my friends. What can I help you with?"

They looked at each other and Rarity nodded her head sideways, as if telling Hawkeye to spit it out. Luna almost smiled when he did. They were a cute couple.

"Rarity has noticed something interesting. Since Ponyville, whenever she is confronted with an especially vivid flashback to the battle, she... changes."

"Changes? How so?"

Hawkeye swallowed and looked at Rarity for support, but she seemed content to let him explain.

"Her coat becomes a middling shade of grey, like polished iron, and her mane goes deep purple, with a single white streak. She also stands a bit taller and more defined. So far, she has thought it all in her head, some kind of hallucination brought on with the memories. But tonight, when we were attacked, I saw it too."

Goosebumps crawled up Luna's spine, nestling somewhere in the base of her skull.

"Rarity, can you do it at will?"

"Maybe..."

"Show me."

Hawkeye bowed his head and took a step back. Though their faces were straight, Luna could see the fear in their eyes. Rarity took a single step forward and closed her eyes for a long moment. Luna had expected her to cast an illusion, but if what she was thinking was right, it was much, much more than that. As well, if Luna's thinking was better still, Rarity was at this moment attempting to get in touch with her most base emotions, a place in her mind where her insecurities, doubts, and most importantly, fear, resided. A few moments of silence later, Luna's guesses were confirmed. There was a ripple through the air, much like a pebble being cast into a pond, and Rarity changed.

She stood tall and regal, eye to eye with the Princess. And such eyes they were: The cold blue of a clear winter sky. Her mane and tail both grew in size and volume, shifting into the richest purple Luna could imagine. A single snow-white streak ran straight through both. Luna stepped out from behind her desk and approached slowly. She wasn't afraid, but her sense of wonder was overwhelming her. And she might have been just the slightest bit intimidated.

Rarity no longer looked like the scared girl desperately trying to hold it together. Her gaze was level and calculating, meeting Luna's as if they were one royal meeting another. Which, as far as Luna cared, right now, they were. Hawkeye had backed a few steps further back, mouth agape as he regarded a mare he had thought he knew. Luna took a step back herself and gathered her thoughts.

"Rarity, I-"

"No, not Rarity."

The voice that came from the mouth was Rarity, but not quite Rarity. It was slightly deeper, and also seemed to be more complex and fluid. The voice of angels, if Luna had cared to think about it. Not to mention, she had just interrupted a Princess without even blinking. The mouth opened, and the beautiful voice came forth again.

"I don't want the name Rarity associated with me as I am right now. You may refer to me as Scarlet."

"Very well, Scarlet, how do you feel right now?"

Those eyes raked Luna's very soul, piercing and glowing with restrained violence.

"Calm."

"How long do you think you can stay like this?"

"As long as I desire."

"How did you bring it about? Have you done it intentionally before?"

"I have not, but as I talked with Hawkeye about it but a moment ago, I realized where it was coming from. I do not understand it, but I know what it is."

"And what is it?"

"Me."

Luna took the esoteric answer in stride. This was something she had believed to be lost for ages.

"Very well. I believe I know what is going on. Would you like to stay as Scarlet, or would you prefer to have the conversation as Rarity?"

"Scarlet will do nicely. Rarity is scared and confused, whereas I am strong."

Luna was having a few uncomfortable memories as to her speech patterns as Nightmare Moon.

"Very well. Scarlet, I believe you are a descendant of an ancient bloodline of warriors. They were thought to be all killed several years before Nightmare Moon's arrival, but it seems they survived."

Scarlet blinked, slowly, and kept her stare even with Luna.

"Go on."

"They were a secretive and highly disciplined group. I don't know nearly as much about them as I wish, but I do know that the ones who displayed aptitude for the gift trained their whole lives as warriors. I know not how they were tested, or how they trained. All I know is that they were some of the fiercest ponies ever to see the field of battle. They were small in number, but in several instances have held their own against odds any logical mind would call impossible. What we are seeing here, I cannot explain, as it is their greatest secret. They do this only in dire circumstances, and it seems to me to be some sort of amalgamation of magic and heart, for lack of a better term. They might have had their own name for it, but we always just referred to it as The Shift."

"You say they were wiped out. How could they? I feel more empowered and in control than ever before."

Luna hesitated. This was why she would have preferred Rarity over Scarlet, but then again, Scarlet was so calm that she decided to go ahead anyways.

"Nightmare Moon sent an army to their village. It was far to the west, I do not remember where exactly. She was afraid that they would not kneel to her when she revealed herself and her plans. The best option was to ambush them, in such numbers that there wasn't the slightest chance of survival. They went in under the cover of night. The fight was terrible, with most of Nightmare Moon's army decimated. Over five thousand against less than a hundred, and yet there were only a hundred survivors to bury the dead. Although, as I see here, they did not succeed after all."

Scarlet gave Luna the exact look the Princess had been dreading. The flat stare gained a grain of darkness, the pupils an eternally black portal into a realm of rage.

"So, when you say Nightmare Moon, you mean yourself. You killed my ancestors."

Luna did her best to hold her bearing, but she suspected her knees wobbled the slightest bit, but she didn't dare break their eye contact.

"Yes."

"Past sins can be the most tenacious of demons."

"Indeed. I am glad to see that Nightmare Moon failed."

Scarlet's lips twitched upwards in what might have been a vestigial smile.

"You are just saying that because I am standing in front of you. But I thank you for the condolences."

Luna was continuously shocked by the boldness displayed by what is, deep down, a very gracious and polite pony. She hoped that Scarlet would revert to Rarity soon. This conversation was treading eggshells far too much for comfort. Hawkeye had been standing meekly behind Scarlet, but she turned her head now and regarded him in vested detachment.

"Tell me, Hawkeye, what do you think of my current appearance?"

He was silent a long moment as he chose his words.

"I think you saved my life earlier. I am thankful. We need every edge we can get in the days ahead."

"Spoken like a warrior."

Scarlet looked back to Luna.

"I wonder if your transformation into Nightmare Moon and this are somehow similar magic? A purely academic question, to be sure, but I am curious even so."

"I know not."

"I did not expect you to."

Luna wasn't sure whether to take insult or not, but before she could think of what to say, Scarlet dipped her head.

"This form is tiring to hold."

Without another word, a ripple again shook the air, and Scarlet's form gave way to Rarity. The seamstress took a moment a open her eyes, but when she did, she immediately dropped to her knees before Luna.

"My Princess! I sincerely apologize for my behaviour! I do not know what came over me! I knew you were royalty, but for some reason I didn't care! I thought us equals! Please, I beseech mercy for-"

"Enough, Rarity. Please, I am not mad. Your transformation is a complicated thing, breaching magical and mental barriers not fully understood by the brightest minds of today. You did not insult me, you spoke to me as an equal, something long missing in my life. Do not worry."

Rarity lifted her head, and Luna could see tears slowly coalescing in the corners of her eyes.

"Thank you, Princess."

She rose to her hooves and turned to Hawkeye, who had come closer. She buried her head against his shoulder. Luna didn't want to interrupt, but she had a question.

"May I ask, Rarity, in what way was was it tiring?"

Rarity lifted her head and narrowed her eyes.

"It's hard to explain. Mentally, somehow. Kind of like if you stare too long at a difficult puzzle you can't solve."

"I see. Well, Rarity, I have an assignment for you. As often as possible, once a day if duties permit, I would like you to go somewhere private and meditate on this state. You just did it intentionally, so concentrate on doing it more, until you can call upon it intuitively and at length if you ever have need to. As Hawkeye said, we can utilize this. I know it sounds somewhat harsh, but these are harsh days we live in."

"Yes, Princess. You make a valid point."

"Dismissed, both of you."

"Good night, Princess."

Rarity bowed and left the tent, but Hawkeye gave her a significant look and stayed. As soon as Rarity left, Luna lifted an eyebrow.

"Something on your mind, Beret?"

"Yes, Princess. I respectfully request for Rarity to begin training with the Black Berets, in hopes of eventually promoting her to one of us."

The other eyebrow shot up to join the first.

"Reasons?"

"Well, this new development is certainly fascinating, and I believe we are as much, if not more qualified than most to watch over her as she develops this gift. But I was thinking if the idea even before this. She displayed very impressive magical capabilities. She might not be the strongest, but she had proven brave and intelligent, qualities we hold most dear."

"Have you consulted the other Berets?"

"Yes. They have agreed."

"Very well. I will give the matter consideration. Expect an answer by the time you return."

"Aye, Princess."

Hawkeye saluted and left, the tent falling into silence. Luna unceremoniously dropped to her rump and sighed a very unladylike sigh. This night had definitely been an interesting one. Just that moment, Twilight Sparkle pushed the tent flap aside and stepped in without preamble, stepping up to Luna and giving a quick kiss on the cheek.

"Good evening, Twilight."

"Good evening, my Princess. I just heard that Rarity and Hawkeye were attacked, but they are both fine. I just saw them leave. What happened?"

Luna laughed lightly.

"Come, my dear, let us retire to the bedchambers and I'll fill you in. You missed all the fun."

Author's Note:

Woohoo! A real update!

Expect more shenanigans soon enough. We're finally getting to the meaty, chewy center of this massive debacle. I've got some chapters that I've been working on for over a year, and we're getting very close to their time to shine.