• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 956 Views, 12 Comments

Creating the impossible - theunknownuniverse



A story about a changeling, ponies and some very unexpected events.

  • ...
2
 12
 956

Changeling vs Manticore

The beast backhanded Strider into a nearby rock. Dazed and confused, Strider could only watch as the beast approached him. From what he could tell, was the beast had the head and body of a lion with a long messy mane. A blood red tail of a scorpion and wings of a bat but colored like his body. At first Strider mistook it for a overgrown changeling because of the two huge fangs coming from its mouth.

When the beast was 5 feet from Strider it pounced onto his arms to stop him from running. The beast licked it lips savoring the meal to come. As the beast was about to stick its teeth into Striders stomach, a pebble hit the beast straight in the eye lodging itself in the beasts socket. The monster roared in agony losing its grasp on Strider.

Strider took the opportunity and kicked the Beast of him with his legs. Sending him flying into a tree and nearly collapsing the tree. With the beast stunned Strider lifted himself up and looked to where the pebble came from. There was Dinky hiding under the roots of a tree. She looked petrified but was able to stay strong on the situation and save Strider from a terrible fate.

"Strider! Its a manticore!" Dinky shouted to Strider

"So?"

"So it means he gets stronger when he gets aggravated"

Perfect. If a stone in your eye didn't make you lose it. Then being kicked into a tree would.

"Does it have any weaknesses!?"

"Well your going to have to find that one out yourself"

"Brilliant. Now Dinky Just run!" Ordered Strider.

"But I want to help you fight him!" Argued Dinky.

"JUST RUN!" Strider looked at Dinky to show he was serious.

"but what about you?!"

"Don't worry. Im the pony who survived a fall from the sky! This is just a warm up!" Oh how he wished it was just that.

Dinky ran of deeper into the forest soon fading from Strider sight.

He hoped it was safe where she ran of to.

"Its just me and you ugly." Taunted Strider.

The manticore growled at Strider and began to circle around him looking for a moment when he would drop his guard.

But strider wasn't going to wait for the manticore to do the first move and lunged himself at the manticore.

He Impaled his shoulder into the manticore's stomach pushing the manticore back onto its two legs which Strider turned and whacked him in the chest with his back legs. Sending the manticore back into the tree it just got out of. Enraged by the assault on him. The manticore roared in rage and charged towards Strider.

"Thats right! Come to papa!" Strider forced his hooves into the ground preparing for the strike from the beast. He had no idea if this would work or make him a very hungry manticore's lunch....

As the manticore neared, Strider charged head on at the manticore and jumped up as high as he could. Strider landed onto his back and grabbed the manticore's head.

"Got you know!" Strider shouted into the beasts ear. The manticore started trying to fling Strider of his back but just made it worse as Strider managed to put him in a head-lock.

Dinky was watching from her hiding place under the roots of a old oak tree shocked to see a pony stand up to a manticore but actually be beating it! She wished there was something she could do to help Strider but he seemed to have the situation under control.

The manticore was close to blacking out from the head-lock but as he slowly began to faint, his rage disappeared and figured out what to do.

The manticore flipped onto his back crushing Strider under his weight. "OW!" Strider cried in agony. The manticore rolled back onto his front and stood up, grinning at Strider paralyzed. He licked his lips and opened his mouth as wide as he could around Striders body. But before he could take the bite another pebble hit him in the face. This time though it just scraped his forehead. He turned to where the pebble came from and saw the same stupid little pony that blinded him the first time. This time she wasn't going to get away with it.

Before he would go teach the stupid pony a lesson, he raised his paw and sliced into the other ponies stomach to make sure he wouldn't get up and stop him. He would feast soon....

Strider gasped as he felt the cold sharp claws rip into his stomach. Slowly blood trickled out of the rips in his body and oozed onto the floor. Was this it for him? Dying, fighting a manticore for the ponies he cared about? Wait...Strider realized why the manticore had left him.. DINKY!!

He lifted his head to look where the manticore had gone to. He could see the beast frantically trying to claw away the roots blocking him from Dinky.

When Dinky saw Strider crushed by the manticore, she rushed out of her hiding place and started throwing stones again. She didn't want to get close as the beast looked extremely mad and would rip her to shreds. So instead she held back and aimed at his head. She hoped she could get him in the eye like last time but missed and now the beast was coming for her. She jumped back into her hiding hole and hoped he would go away. He didn't and now she was trapped while the manticore growled and snarled trying break its way in.

Terror was slowly gripping onto Dinky freezing her into place, watching the terrifying beast claw its way to her with his blood red eyes and blade like fangs. She hoped Strider would come and save her as she didn't know what to do anymore. Strider seemed to be so strong and brave. Even willing to give his life for a strangers. Even if he was slightly weird. Oh how she hoped he was fine.

The beast had finally ripped out the last roots blocking him from his prey. He grinned at the terrified foal and slowly moved his paw inside and swiped the air infront of Dinky. The manticore could have easily just stabbed her and pulled her dying carcass out of the tree but, he wanted to toy with this one after all she had done to him.

Dinky knew this was the end as no one was coming to save her. Strider must be dead and her mother no idea where she was. She didn't want it to end like this but the truth was staring her right in the face...

The manticore was tired of toying with the filly and decided to end it now. He stabbed his claws into Dinky's side and pulled her straight out. Hanging on by the claws in her stomach, Dinky laid motionless in the air staring at the ground. She could feel her life slowly seeping away out of the holes in her stomach.

"You let her go! You filth!" Strider was standing up staring at Dinky. The minute he saw her limp body he felt everything coming back to him. His wounds fading and his strength coming back. He would make that filth pay for touching her.

The beast smirked and dropped Dinky to the ground. He then slowly prowled towards Strider surprised to see him standing. Before the beast could reach Strider, Strider dashed forward and slammed his hooves down onto the manticore head. The beast quickly recovered and rolled out of the way before Strider could strike another blow. But Strider was still on top and launched his elbow into the manticore's back. The manticore yelped in pain and rolled away again. The manticore stood back up and charged straight at Strider. Strider rolled out of the way before the manticore hit him and kicked him in the back leg. The manticore stumbled into the dirt face first.

"Had enough yet?" Strider taunted the fallen manticore. The manticore swung his tail at Strider hoping to poison him. Strider ducked and rolled towards the manticore.

The manticore was prepared though, and smashed the rolling pony into a rock.
Strider gasped and slowly limped into a less open area of the forest hoping the manticore would follow. The manticore did just that and sprinted after Strider deeper into the forest.

Strider flew up into a branch coming out of one of the trees. He was waiting for the the manticore to walk right past him and strike. But he never appeared. Had the manticore ran off not noticing where Strider had went? That couldn't be it though, he could still smell the the beast close. Very close... Strider felt something breath down his neck and turned to see what it was. The manticore was hovering in the air behind Strider flapping his bat like wings.

"So you can fly!?" Strider questioned the manticore

The manticore just roared back at Strider and slashed his paw at Striders head. Strider ducked and took of to the sky. The only one real place he had a advantage.

Strider led the manticore high into the clouds where a storm was brewing. Hopefully the clouds would hide him and give him the element of surprise. The beast sniffed out for the scent of the pony but nothing came to him apart from fresh air,

WHAM!

Strider hit the manticore in his left shoulder like a bullet.

SMACK!

Strider continued a flurry of hits to the beast in all directions. The beast just hovered in the sky stunned by the speed of his attacker and the pain he felt.

Strider flew right under the manticore and launched himself up into the sky upper-cutting the beast's head. The manticore somersaulted back and searched for any trace of where this pony was hiding. A flash of lightning split the sky open and the loud roar of thunder followed. In the flash the beast could make out the silhouette of the pony who attacked him. The manticore growled and sped up towards Strider.

"uh oh...." Strider gulped witnessing the Manticore coming right at him. The manticore smashed straight into him causing both Strider and the manticore falling. Strider tried to spread his wings out and catch the wind, but the manticore landed on him pushing him down so they both fell faster.

"get your stinking paws of me!" Strider shouted at the manticore. The manticore grunted and lifted his tail towards Striders face.

Strider tried to lift his arm up to push the stinger out of the way but the manticore dug his claws into Striders arms drawing blood.

The manticore stabbed his stinger down but luckily, strider turned his head to the left, dodging the manticore's tail. This came with a price as he saw what was waiting for them on the ground. A huge bush with thorns as long as the manticore's claws. Strider had a flashback from when he was falling to what he thought was his death two weeks ago. He was sure he wouldn't be as lucky to survive this time...

He snapped out of his flashback just in time to dodge another one of the manticore's attacks.

"Not this time!" Strider lifted his leg onto the Manticore's body and push as hard as he could.

The two flipped over so Strider was now standing on top of the manticore pushing him down instead.

Strider began to pound his hooves into the manticore's face causing the manticore's eyes to swell up and go black.

"THIS IS FOR DINKY!" Strider put his arm together and smashed down straight onto the manticore send him to the ground in a few seconds.

Strider pulled his wings out and stopped falling. He slowly lowered himself to the ground where the manticore fell. Rain began to come down from the sky.

The manticore had fallen into the bush and was now encased in vines with thorns sticking out. It laid there growling at Strider but couldn't do anything.

"I should kill you now." Strider said to the beast

"Stop you from harming any other pony. Praying on those weaker than you."

"But we're the same, me and you. We use them as a food source. But you went a step too far and attacked me and killed a helpless pony named Dinky."

The manticore tilted his head in confusion. He didn't understand what this pony was saying but it made him feel a slight guilt.

"Im going to let you live. Not because we're the same or because Dinky wouldn't want me to kill, but because Im better than that now."

"So I would advise you run, hide. Because If I see you again, I will kill you."

Strider turned and walked away from the manticore. The manticore roared out in rage by this pony's actions. Strider turned once to look at his opponent one more time. He then walked away.

He headed to where Dinky was. She was still there lying on the ground in a pool of her own blood. Still breathing though, Strider couldn't bare to watch but was forced to as the filly would need comfort before her time passes.

"Strider....." Dinky stuttered

"Its me Dinky. Don't worry about that manticore, I took care of him."

"Magic....."

"I'm so sorry this happened Dinky. It's all my fault." Strider felt tears beginning to swell.

"Water...."

WAIT!!! The magic water! Strider remembered now. If he could get some in time. He could save her! Strider picked up one of the fallen vials and dashed towards the stream he saw earlier. He reached the stream and scooped up a bottle full of the magic water and headed straight back. He was going to have be faster and so took to the skies. It was now pouring it down that Strider could barely see 5 feet infront of him. He landed right next to Dinky and lifted her head up. He poured some of the water into her mouth and a tiny bit into his. He could feel his pain going away and looked at the scratches on his arms. Slowly fading.

He hoped the water would work and save Dinky. Nothing happened though.

"Dinky.... No....Wake up please Dinky! PLEASE!" Strider sobbed. But still Dinky did not move. Strider began to cry over the body of his fallen friend.

"WHY!"

"Stop crying... you big wuss" Dinky mumbled at Strider

"DINKY!!!" Strider lifted Dinky up and into his arms, hugging her.

He look at where the manticore had clawed Dinky and saw the cuts fading away.

"Thank you for saving me Strider." Dinky still mumbled. Strider took the guess she was still extremely week from the wounds.

"Hey, don't worry about it at all. You did save me too though." Dinky started to fold her arms around Strider hugging him back. Strider saw his horn all of a sudden light up green. He began to feed on love energy coming from Dinky. He wasn't even able to control just like last time and Dinky didn't grow weaker one bit. He began to understand where this love energy was coming from. He was feeding of the love Dinky and Derpy had for him.

"Strider..."

"Yea Dinky?"

"Please don't tell my mother."

Strider grinned and replied "Lets just keep this our little secret."

Author's Note:

WOW this took me a long time to write but here it is! Thanks for reading! Also post in the comment section how I can make my story better and keep a eye out for a few new chapters coming soon. Final note: (I really need to stop talking) Do you think I should have the manticore make a return to the story? Or let him suffer back in the forest?