• Published 1st Feb 2013
  • 956 Views, 12 Comments

Creating the impossible - theunknownuniverse



A story about a changeling, ponies and some very unexpected events.

  • ...
2
 12
 956

A trip to the Everfree forest.

After they cleaned the living room up, Dinky asked Strider if he could take her to the Everfree forest outside of Ponyville. Strider wanted to make up for nearly injuring Dinky and agreed. It would soon be a big mistake...

"Its just up the road now." Dinky told Strider.

"So what's in this forest that you want?" Asked Strider.

"well its kind of hard to explain but, there's these types of flowers that are extremely rare and can grant powerful magic boosts to somepony who knows how to use them. But for that to happen they also need magic water which can only be found in this forest."

"Ok. I get it now but, what happens if your mother gets back and finds us not there?"

"Oh don't worry about that. My mother takes ages to deliver the mail now as she's no longer allowed to fly."

"Why's that?" Questioned Strider. It did seem odd not to let their employee use wings to speed the up the job.

"Well to put it simply, they said they couldn't afford another crashing accident."

Strider chuckled to himself now understanding what Derpy men't when she said its good to see someone else who crashed.

There was one other thing Strider wanted to ask, but it was a tiny bit personal.

"So where's your father? I haven't seen him once since my stay."

"Oh. My father travels a lot so I don't really see him much. But my mother says he's the greatest thing that happened to her. She used to travel with him too but when I was born Derpy wanted to settle down and well... Thats around it."

"Oh..." Strider felt a tiny bit sorry for the filly not really knowing her father.

"I didn't know my Dad either." Replied Strider in the hopes of cheering her up.

"you didn't?" asked Dinky surprised.

"No. Infact I never actually met him. It was only me and my siblings, we did have our mother but. She was normally busy or paid more attention to her favorite children."

"Thats a shame really. Atleast we both have something in common." Dinky smiled to Strider who smiled back.

"Were here now anyway." Said Dinky

Strider looked up from Dinky to see the forest. there were hundreds of trees, row after row all connected by vines and bushes grappling onto the trees. There was also a slight mist inside the forest making it impossible to see what was inside.

"Im not so sure about this now Dinky...." stuttered Strider. He just managed to survive one death experience by luck and didn't want to get himself in another.

"Oh come on scaredy! Do I have to hold your hoof?" mocked Dinky.

"Fine, we'll go in but you have to keep close to me. Promise?" Strider held out his hoof towards Dinky.

"Promise!" Dinky shook Striders hoof. "Now come on! Before we die of old age!" If there was one thing Strider disliked about youth. It was their determination and no fear.

15 minutes passed and Dinky had found the flowers she was looking for. "All we need now is the water."

"So where would the water be?" Asked Strider. He was getting nervous as he could smell something close to them. And it was on the move....

"Well the water we need is in a spring. Which is around the highest point of the forest. All we need to do is find a stream and follow it."

"I think i can fly up to the top of the forest and look for one."

"Are you sure? I mean you still not at your best yet and its quite high up there."

"Its ok. If I just fly up to the top for a few seconds and don't do anything too stressful, I can manage it."

"Ok then but, I don't wanna be dragging your sorry flank all the way back to Ponyville if you fall."

Strider laughed at that. He wasn't sure why but he was beginning to like Dinky a lot.

"Ill be back in a jiffy!" And with that Strider leapt into the air and took to the skies.

It felt amazing to finally fly again! The wind in his face and the coolness of it. It felt even better with Pony wings as they gave more of a thrust and didn't need him to flap his wings as much. He stopped right at the tip of the trees, from here he could see the entire forest and where the spring was. He jotted down in his mind that they would need to head north abit and look for the willow tree. After that it was just follow the water.

He began his descent back to the forest floor savoring his one chance to fly.

"Good news Dinky! Its just a tiny bit north!" Strider couldn't see Dinky anywhere and the scent he picked up was stronger then before....

"DINKY! WHERE ARE YOU?!" Strider Shouted. He turned to see if she had ran back to the entrance of the forest. Instead he was met by two giant hungry red eyes.

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter is a tiny bit short. I was going to add it on the back of the last chapter but I felt it needed its own part.