• Published 23rd Jan 2013
  • 5,733 Views, 82 Comments

Close Encounters of the Sixty-Third Kind - Yoshirocks341



An unexpected adventure throws the genderswap versions of the mane 6 (and Spike) into the same dimension as their originals! What will happen when they meet? Only time will tell...

  • ...
16
 82
 5,733

Chapter 9: The Athlete...

*Flashback thirty-five minutes*

“There goes all the leads I have thought of…”

The yellow unicorn stepped out of a colorful looking shop. It looked the same as any other shop in Ponyville, or any other building in Ponyville for that manner. Almost every building had a yellow straw roof and pale yellow walls that were lined with straight pink stripes. Dusk always wondered why only a few buildings didn’t follow that design pattern. It was almost like the architects had some really creative designs at first, but then just lazily repeated the same layout for the rest of the town.

“I need some help,” Dusk stated, “this splitting up idea wasn’t really the best plan of action when I look back on it. I have to remember to chalk that one up as a bad idea.”

Dusk quickly whipped his head around to see if he could find anyone he knew.

“Where did everyone go anyways?” he pondered out loud, “Ponyville isn’t that big.”

As he strolled by a couple of identical houses, someone he was hoping to see came into view. Dusk picked up his pace to talk to the only female that he could actually make a reasonable conversation with.

“Spines!” he called.

The young white dragoness turned her head to see the incoming colt.

“Oh, hi there Dusk!” Spines said as Dusk stopped right in front of her. “How has your search been going?”

“I haven’t found anything useful at all.” Dusk replied disappointed, “You?”

Spines let out a heavy sigh. “Same.”

“Do you want me to help you search around?” Dusk asked her.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Spines asked a tad harsh.

Dusk was awestricken by the sudden change in her voice and attitude.

“Well…nothing really,” he stumbled through his words; “I was thinking that my presence…would help you out and increase any chance of success!”

What Dusk had just said must have really ticked Spines off, because she was definitely not looking like a happy camper.

“I can do things by myself, thank you very much!” her voice was almost a furious shout.

“But…we usually do things together!” Dusk was confused why Spines was getting so upset, “You are my assistant!”

“Oh yes! I’m your lowly assistant,” anger had spread across her face like a fire does in a forest roasted by the summer’s heat, “I can’t do anything by myself without the help of the ‘brilliant’ master!”

Dusk opened his mouth to try to make his point, but Spines turned on her foot and stormed away. Dusk was left alone in the middle of town with his mouth hung wide open. Silence followed as random ponies walked by, giving quick glances at the bizarre sight. Finally, Dusk was able to gather himself enough to close his mouth.

“What did I do?” he asked no one in particular in complete confusion.

His gaze fell to the ground. He racked his brain trying to figure out what had just happened. A laugh rang through the air from what seemed to be nowhere, snapping Dusk out of his thoughts.

“You definitely have a way with women,” a voice sarcastically rang from above.

Dusk looked up to see a giant white cloud floating next to him. He looked up even higher to see a light blue face staring back down at him. She got up from lying on the cloud and prepared herself to fly down to him. This was all done with a mischievous grin placed on her face.

The mysterious pegasus swooped down and landed right in front of Dusk, giving him a perfect look at the stranger. The first thing that got Dusk’s attention was the rainbow hair the mare possessed. Her bangs swept to the right side of her face and fell nicely down the back of her neck. Her butt looked like it shot out a rainbow, due to the position of the hairs of her tail. By the rainbow’s starting point was not a pot of gold, but a raincloud and a rainbow lightning bolt.

“You were as smooth as sand paper out there!” she exclaimed as she gave off another giggle.

“Umm,” Dusk wasn’t sure on how to react to the new comer, “who are you?”

“The name’s Rainbow Dash!” she exclaimed, “The fastest pony in all of Equestria!”

“I first failed the plan by not splitting up the whole time and now I’ve failed it by meeting one of our doubles,” Dusk muttered underneath his breath.

“You should’ve seen the look on your face when she walked away in anger!” Rainbow let loose another round of laughter. “Priceless!”

“How much of…umm… our conversation did you hear?” Dusk asked.

“Enough to see you get horribly rejected!” Rainbow exclaimed busted into laughing once more.

“I did get rejected…” Dusk replied with a hint of sadness in it, “I w-wonder why. She is my friend after all…”

“Hey, sometimes just because she is your friend doesn’t mean she likes you like that,” she told Dusk as she flew over next to him.

“Wha-?” Dusk exclaimed.

“Boy, do you need help!” Rainbow walked back to her position right in front of him, “Now, it is usually a colt’s job to give you tips on getting mares, but seeing how horribly bad you screwed that up right now, I think it has to be my job to give you some well needed pointers.”

Before Dusk could correct her on any of that complete nonsense, she continued right along.

“Now the first thing you did wrong was that you were in no place special,” she was now flying slow circles around him. “When you ask someone out like that, you should at least make the occasion somewhat special! It doesn’t have to be under the stars or anything like that (but it would surely help), but doing in the middle of a public place, you’re definitely setting yourself up for a quick failure. The second thing is…”

“Hold on!” Dusk finally got over his spinelessness and spoke up, “I wasn’t asking her out!”

It was now Rainbow’s turn to say, “Wha-?”

“I was just asking her if I could help her search around town for something, that’s all!” Dusk stated.

“Sure...” Rainbow replied, not sounding convinced.

“Yes!” he yelled. He tried to think of a reason to support the fact that he really wasn’t asking Spines out on a date.

“Besides, did you see how old she was?” Dusk asked her, “She’s not even ten years old yet!”

“I was going to make a comment about you being a tad of a pervert…” Rainbow replied.

Dusk sighed. “Fine. Whatever. Why were you listening in on our conversation anyways?”

Rainbow finally stopped her slow circular flying and landed with her back facing Dusk.

“It’s so much fun to eavesdrop on conversation from up there in the clouds,” she stated pointing upwards.

“Don’t you have better things to do with your time then listening in on random ponies’ conversations?” Dusk questioned her choice of time usage.

“Na, not really. I have nothing to do and all day to do it!” she exclaimed happily.

“I’m getting nowhere with this…” Dusk thought. He knew he probably should get out of this conversation as fast as possible. He was pretty lucky that Rainbow Dash had no clue who he really was.

“Well, it was nice meeting you!” Dusk told Rainbow Dash as he slowly started to back away.

Before he could make his full escape, an unknown voice yelled at him.

“Hey! Hey you! The yellow unicorn! Stop!” the voice exclaimed.

Dusk turned around to see two colts running over to where he and Rainbow Dash were standing. They collapsed on the ground, breathing heavily.

“Too…much…running…for…one…day,” the older one said in between gasps for air.

Dusk stared at the strangers. The one who had just spoken had light blue skin that was mostly hidden by a white lab coat. His hair had already starting to thin due to age and lost any color it had. His tail contained some color pigment, by showed a hint of brown, while his hair showed absolutely none.

The younger colt looked as out of breath as his older friend. His thick brown hair was drenched in sweat, keeping it plastered to his head. He was wearing a thick red vest, probably the cause of all the sweat he was soaked in. His skin looked like the color of his hair mixed with the color of the trees. Due to the clothing being worn by both colts, he could see neither of the colts’ cutie marks.

“Come with us…yellow one,” the younger one told Dusk, still trying to recover all of his breath.

“Why?” Dusk logically asked, “And who are you guys?”

“We…can’t tell you…the answer to…either of those,” the older colt replied.

“Going to a random place with strangers for a reason I don’t know really doesn’t really scream ‘safe’ to me,” Dusk answered.

“But…we need you to!” the younger one exclaimed.

“Sorry guys,” Dusk apologized, “but unless you can tell me the whos and whys, I’m not coming with you.”

“Then…I’ll make you come,” the younger one staggered to his feet, swaying a bit, “with force!”

He mustered all his remaining might to lung forward at Dusk. Dusk, seeing that the colt was in no position to do anything of the moving sort, gave him a quick side step and almost bumping into Rainbow Dash (who was just standing around watching all of this unfold). The charger tried to get back on his feet, but he lacked the energy to do so.

“That isn’t going to work!” the older colt yelled over to him, “We don’t have the stamina to do that again!”

He tapped his hoof to his chin and tried to come up with a clever plan. He looked over at his friend and caught a glimpse of Rainbow Dash. Suddenly, an idea was being formulated in his head. You can see the moment of realization in his face when he had put the final touches on his plan. He slowly waltzed over to Rainbow Dash.

“I may be completely wrong here,” he began slow and deliberate, “but you look like a pretty fast flier.”

Rainbow’s face gleamed. “I’m only the fastest flier in all of Equestria!”

“You definitely look the part too,” the older colt replied, “And I’m taking a huge guess here, but since you are such a fast flier, are you by chance a fan of the…Wonderbolts?”

“Ah, ya I am!” she exclaimed, “They’re only the most coolest and most talented fliers in all of Equestria! Who wouldn’t be?!”

“Ah yes, silly me thinking that anyone could not be a fan of them,” his voice was straight, sounding like he completely agreed with what she was said, “Well, I happen to know a member of the Wonderbolts, one of pretty high stature too. And since you are the ‘fastest flier in all of Equestria’, I’ll gladly put in a good word for you the next time we meet.”

“Really?” her smile was now from ear to ear, “Thank you!”

“However,” he put his hoof up to stop Rainbow Dash as she dashed towards him, “I believe what you say about being the fastest. My friend however, might need me to give him an example of your skills.”

Rainbow raised an eyebrow. “What are you asking?”

“Well,” he stepped back to get the female blue blur out of his face, “if you could chase someone down and bring them back here, it would not only show off your speed, but also your endurance and agility, no?”

“Ya,” Rainbow nodded her head in agreement, “I say it would.”

“Well in that case,” he made a gesture to Dusk, “Can you by chance chase down this unicorn colt here and bring…”

That’s the last Dusk heard before he started sprinting as fast as he could away from the two mysterious colts. Not too long after he started to run though, he could hear the sound wings flapping as they started to fly. He dived down a dark alleyway and hid behind a dumpster that was placed behind a restaurant. This maneuvering tactic seemed to work because it was not long before he saw a light blue flash speed past him. Dusk’s heart was beating heavily as he waited in the shadow of the garbage.

“Great,” he muttered to himself, “they have Rainbow Bli..I mean Rainbow Dash chasing me down.”

He stumbled out of his hiding spot, giving one last look around before completely removing himself from his safe haven.

“I have to get her to stop chasing me…” Dusk pointed out the obvious, “But how?”

He quietly sneaked out the other side of the small alley and poked his head out. He peered around for any sigh of his pursuer. To his left, he did see a very strange sight. A bunch of construction crew’s tools were sitting next to a darkly lit building. Nothing really interesting stood out. It was a plain brown building, with a bunch of windows on the side facing the street in front of it. A giant wrecking ball had punched some holes in it however, so that was also strange. The wrecking ball punched the final hole that it needed to and the whole thing came tumbling down.

Suddenly, Dusk heard screaming coming from the area of the wreckage. He started to run over to the building, when he remembered that he had checked only one direction. He knew he should probably check both sides, just to be safe. Dusk turned around and scanned the skyline behind him. He saw nothing, until the very end where his eyes met with those of a light blue pegasus setting on a cloud about a fifty feet away.

“Drat!” his mind screamed and he ran down a different alleyway. This one was in between the buildings that were right next to the wreckage.

His running ran him into a pile of garbage cans that someone had sat out to be picked up. As he tried to pick himself out of the stinky mess that he had just created, he heard talking taking place right outside the alleyway.

“Whoever was bringing down that building must of saw me!” he whispered to himself, “She’s going to easily find me if I just sit here! I’ve got to come up with a plan, and fast!”

Dusk quickly tried to summon all the brain power he had. “Think, think, think,” he muttered to himself.

His hoof then bumped into one of the garbage can. He looked down and stared at it thinking. Suddenly a brilliant idea came to him. He hid behind one of the walls of the nearby buildings and waited for Rainbow to come flying down the alleyway.

As Dusk predicted, Rainbow Dash came flying down the alley way in search for her prey. Dusk, using his magic, quickly levitated one of the garbage can lids that were placed on the ground. It flew into the air, and smack tab right in the pathway of the flying Rainbow Dash.

*BANG*

Dusk, using his magic once more, caught the plummeting Rainbow Dash before she made contact the stone hard ground. He picked up a piece of dirty paper and a half-broken pencil that he had found laying on the ground. These were scattered around due to him crashing into the garbage cans before. He quickly wrote something on the piece of paper and placed it over the top of the head of the knocked out Rainbow Dash. He hoped that he didn’t permanently hurt her in any sort of way.

Dusk quickly tried to gather himself together and then sprinted away, hopefully leaving his pursuer behind once and for all.

Author's Note:

And yes, the split-up is finally done! Now, if you noticed, every chapter over lapped with another chapter in some sort of way. Now, if you want to go back and look through them all, good for you! However, if you really are not in the mood for a literature treasure hunt, I'll give you a nice little list here for you.

The party happening in Chapter 3 is the party Pinkie is planning to throw in Chapter 4.
The bushes in front of the library that are crushed in Chapter 3 is because of Spines' spying in Chapter 7.
Spines runs into Applebloom in Chapter 7, who was sent by Applejack in Chapter 6.
The reason why the weeds are strangely burnt in Chapter 8 is because of Bubble Berry and Applejack being shot at in Chapter 6.
The conversation that Spines is upset about in Chapter 7 is the one that takes place in Chapter 9 (tad obvious though).
Elusive thought he was being spied upon in Chapter 3 while Blitz was actually spying on him in Chapter 5.
The people that were by the building that was being taken down Chapter 9 were Spike and Elusive, as seen in Chapter 3.

There are also a certain two colts that keep appearing over and over again. I wonder what they are up too...