• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 12,665 Views, 1,314 Comments

Re:Harmony - starcross7



A thousand years ago, the three pony tribes failed to form a unified nation, and war doomed the unicorns to near-extinction. Twilight and Applejack now seek the Elements in the hopes of ending the long conflict between pegasi and earth ponies.

  • ...
57
 1,314
 12,665

PreviousChapters Next
7 - Sewer Town

Chapter 7 - Sewer Town

"Ingrid," Bellamena radioed through her headset. "The Clones suddenly showed up and our little clipper turned tail and run."

"Oh, boulders," Ingrid cursed. "There goes our bounty."

"Shall I stop my pursuit, sister?"

"No, continue on. Perhaps the clipper will give the Clones the slip and we'll be waiting for him with our trap net. Make you sure you keep an eagle's eye on him. I'm not too far, so we'll meet up to come up with a quick plan."

"Understood."

A dark gray mare with a light gray mane waited as the last few Clone Soldiers passed by her alcove far deep in the Ponyville Sewers. Bellamena--or sometimes Bella--kept a quiet yet quick trot after them despite all the heavy baggage saddled on her back. For her, this was light packing considering the easy bounty they were tasked to find, but small fry or not, she and most likely her sister would not be happy if the Government got to the clipper regardless of the reason.

The path led her down a multi-level catacomb, and Bella climbed up the access ladders to one of the higher service for an overall view. As expected, her dark-maned and lighter-coated older sister arrived shortly afterwards. Because of their overall gray shades and similar hairstyle, anypony would initially mistake them for twins.

They stood side by side silently watching the clipper, a pegasus who had his wings removed, plead to the Clone Captain and his unit that he had always been an earth pony and that he was never a spy sent by Pegasopolis to engage in guerrilla warfare from within Gaea. The Clones could not simply kill him, but they would not mind shooting him in all four of his knees--and that was the most humane way to take him in alive.

"Doesn't look like he'll slip out of this one," sighed Ingrid. "There are too many Clones. I suppose we'll have to let this bounty go."

The stoic sisters nearly fell from their vantage point when they felt a sharp tremor, and then a wave of magenta energy phased through the walls. That energy did not affect any normal ponies, notably the clipper and the sisters. As for the Clones, the energy wave smote their artificial existence off their hooves. In midair, they inflated, and then imploded to eject a stream of light bluish streaks of energies that wriggled in the air and towards, if Ingrid guessed correctly, Gaeaopolis.

Whatever happened, all that was left of the Clones were their armor and their weapons. The clipper, thinking that providence spared him from brutal interrogation, cantered happily away before Ingrid and Bella leapt down and trapped him in a heavy net. The sisters dashed his hopes of him wrestling himself free by knocking him with a sheathed machete.

"I guess he did manage to give them slip," said Bella, "but what just happened?"

"How strange," said Ingrid as she poked a Clone Soldier's empty helmet. "I have heard that Clones are made with borrowed magic, but that wave isn't something we've seen before."

"Does that mean there is a unicorn nearby?"

"Now, now, little sister. We cannot hunt unicorns if nopony will pay us, but I have a feeling a good bounty is going to land on our muzzles soon enough."


Twilight watched as more piles upon piles of empty Clone Soldier armor and their crashed hover trucks pass by in blurs. She knew her magical discharge was powerful, but seeing it reach this far into the other side of the Chasm was yet another surprise for her. Further ahead through the rocky tunnels, there were still more empty husks. She estimated over two hundred of these artificial ponies in both Unicornia and in this tunnel.

She had always been used to the putrid smell of the Great Chasm, but the smell at the Gaean side made her nose twitch and her stomach growl in sickness. A few times she nearly threw up, but she didn't want to inconvenience Applejack's focus. Still, this was something Twilight should have been used to. She had always known that what she picked up in the chasm river was garbage from the surface world, but like they say: one pony’s trash was another mare's treasure.

Further in, the roughly carved tunnels began to be replaced with a structured maze constructed of brick and steel made dirty by hundreds or perhaps a thousand of years of sewer treatment and dumping. She then beheld the cavernous machinations of earth pony society: massive cylindrical tanks, giant pipes, and turbines designed to sift water from septic refuse. The stench became almost unbearable, and it made the unicorn's eyes water. She wished Applejack would drive faster, but they suddenly stopped at the edge of one of the massive tanks.

"Why are we stopping?" Twilight asked.

"Seeing as this here hover truck is stolen, we can't actually come out to the surface with it. Besides, we can move a lot better, although slower, on hoof."

"I assume that ponies don't live in this area."

"Girl, don't underestimate any pony folk who is on the run or is tired of the government. You'll soon see a lot ponies and non-ponies make their home just in the sewers alone. Be careful, though. Even though the Clone Soldiers would not waste their time down here, there will be snitches who will rat out a unicorn for a quick bit. So I'd advise ya to keep your hood on and your flank covered at all times."

"Don't worry. I have a spell that will hide my horn in plain view."

"The sewerfolk ain't the sophisticated lot, but you'll run into some who will have a magic detection probe or two. Just stay close to me. These ponies in Sewer Town are very sneaky."

Twilight kept her guide's advice to heart as the orange earth pony led her on hoof through more mazes of tunnels and narrow walkways, some of which stood over a large drop into a deep waterfall, somewhat akin to the Endless Pits near Unicornia. No surprise that she would see a rat or cockroach, but a few more exotics like snakes, bats, and gators started popping up. It was not long until a few ragged earth ponies popped up, either walking along narrow walkways or riding in boats fishing for who knew what in the brown and murky sewer waters.

And so, the number of ponies increased, and eventually other clothed and sentient creatures started appearing as well, like Diamond Dogs, zebras, donkeys, dwarfish Shetlands, and a few tall Arabians. All of these creatures marched to and from into a large cavernous area lit up overhead electric lights blasting light almost as adequate as a sun spell in midday. The buildings were built tall and haphazardly with no regard to function or stability. Twilight felt that just looking at them would cause many of them to collapse.

As dirty and noisy this place was, the unicorn couldn't be any more excited to see such sights. The Earthians still managed to speak the same language, but with a different accent, and many other foreigners were speaking in tongues Twilight had either read in books, heard from legends, or simply have never heard of. The fashion varied from ragged to, oddly enough, brightly luxurious. There were stallions who paraded around in fur hats, coats, and sun glasses with two or more mares at his side seemed to command some kind of grudging respect, as anypony cleared his way whenever he passed through. She recalled from reading from one of the old novels washed down in the Chasm's waters that these stallions were called "pimps", and the mares they lorded over were "hookers".

"Keep close to me, sugarcube," said Applejack. "Even though we can't be too far apart from one another, bad stuff can still happen even when you're close by."

"I never seen so many ponies," said Twilight. "Hey, is that an gas-electric bike over there? And is that what you call a television? I never knew they made them so thin."

"Keep your pants on girl. We're not exactly here on a date. I'll teach you all about Earthian society when we settle down. For now, I have to visit somepony."

Twilight pouted, but only for a short time. The sights, sounds, and the smell of sewer slums continued to amaze her, but unfortunately things became darker when Applejack took her down to the back alleys filled with discarded boxes, sometimes with vagrant ponies sleeping rather lazily in them. These few earth ponies appeared perpetually dazed, and yet had ravenous bloodshot eyes like an animal. Twilight wasn't sure if they would spring up and bite her or collapse due to lethargy.

The alleys soon led them to small area lit by paper lanterns strung above her from building to building. The ponies here seemed to be wearing a more unique style of dress, where the mares had their manes tied in covered buns and the stallions with braided hair and skullcaps. There was an intense smell of nuts and roots coming from a food vendor stand that Twilight wanted to eat.

However, food would have to wait. Applejack motioned her come into one of the many shops in which many strange and initially pleasing antique wares were displayed past its smudged and darkened windows. Right as she entered, Twilight beheld even more curious artifacts, some of which she had seen in the old tomes her mother forced her to read. In no time she zipped form shelf to shelf almost like an excited filly.

"May I help you, traveler?"

The voice sent chills up Twilight's spine. Surely she made sure her horn-hiding spell was still active, and she turned around to face another one of those oriental earth ponies. This one happened to be gray and had a braided indigo mane.

"She's with me Unca' Curio," said Applejack.

"Ah, it's you dear Applejack," said Curio. "I have been waiting for days, and I was beginning to wonder if the Government have already captured you. Say, what ever happened to that stallion you were with?"

"Let's cut to the chase shall we? I'm here to get the goods that I ordered, and you better not have given them all away."

"I do have them, but I do hope your saddlebags contain the necessary payment."

"Uh, sure. Here's what I got."

Before they had left Unicornia, Applejack had packed a few saddlebags what Twilight thought were junk from the village, but it turned out to be some magic-carved stone and crystal sculptures.

"By the earth," gasped Curio. "Here I thought you skipped out with the unmarked bits, and yet you managed to land such exquisite antique unicorn sculptures. Truly the magical cutting precision is something to behold than that of Gaeapolis imitators."

Twilight smirked, knowing that the sculptures were carved by a neighbor about a week ago.

"You can see why I was late," smiled Applejack.

"Be honest with me," said Curio. "Did you rob one of the Party Elites?"

"An Apple does not need to steal without good reason, but I can say that I did cross the Dark Ravine."

"Now that is indeed a lie!" Curio laughed. "Very well. I'll get you a new standard ID and the keycard to get into the Labs."

"I do have another request. Make another set for her and have it ready by tomorrow morning."

"Her? Do you know much time it takes to make these things? Should I even trust this mare?"

"Hey, these are rare unicorn artifacts, and just by givin' them to ya is about as generous as I can get. Otherwise, I'll go to some other pony who can do the job."

"Okay, okay, but it will be an all-nighter for this old pony. Though, I will need a picture of your friend."

"Picture?" asked Twilight. "As in, a photograph?"

"Yes, unless you're talking about those analog ones. Applejack, who is this pony if I may ask? She doesn't look like she's been in Sewer Town before."

"She's a refugee from Appleloosa."

"But her accent doesn't sound like... Oh, it doesn't matter. What's your name, mare?"

"T-Twilight," said the unicorn in disguise.

"Twilight. That's a wonderful alias by the way. Unless you’re putting up act, you must have carefully chosen it to strike fear into the hearts of Earth Ponies.”

“Curio...” growled Applejack.

“Sorry, but you hardly hear about the name Twilight mentioned very often. Come this way, Miss Twilight."

The nodding smile of Applejack compelled the timid unicorn to follow the gray earth stallion to the back of his shop. Fortunately, she did not go alone. Applejack got her back, and at least Twilight felt a little safer in this dark and confining new environment.

The path to the photography studio was longer than Twilight expected. She passed through numerous rooms down long and crooked hallways, and many of these rooms contained oriental ponies working hard at making various clothes, cloth wallets, and other hoof-made baubles. Many of these ponies were mere foals.

Eventually, they reached a blue door locked by several bolts Curio painstakingly unlocked. Once past that blue door, they beheld a small studio with a plain gray backdrop illuminated by two studio lights. At the other side was a camera, and not too from it appeared to be some computer workstation.

The picture taking was uneventful. All Twilight had to do was to strip down, but not enough to expose her Destiny Glyph, thank the Moon and Sun, and a rapid series of shots fired and flashed at her visage. From those shots, Twilight carefully chose one for her fake ID that Curio showed on the boxy computer screen.

The shopkeeper then escorted the two mares out of his shop, notifying them to come first thing tomorrow morning, although Twilight had no way to tell how earth pony society that lived in the sewer metropolis measured time. There were things called clocks on signs in Sewer Town, both digital and analog, and for sure they functioned the same as the sundial that was used in conjunction with Unicornia's magically artificial sun.

Twilight's stomach growled, and that drew a smirk across Applejack's face.

"Hungry? I know of a place where we can get some grub and not be noticed."

"Why not the food stand over there?"

"Let's just say that they don't use very sanitary cooking methods, and their ingredients are questionable at best. Besides, we can't just eat out in the open. Follow me, sugarcube."

Applejack led Twilight out this unique district into another where she saw less and less ponies and more and more Diamond Dogs of all shapes and sizes, many of whom wore clothes that varied in style depending on status. Like the earlier district, this dog-district also had its pimps, hookers, shady hustlers, and gangs keeping an eye out on two ponies who brazenly walked through their territory. The two ponies entered a place called the Kobold's Den, and they were immediately greeted with loud music, drunken howling noises, and dog fights.

Applejack nonchalantly avoided the breakage of a dish inadvertently thrown at her from a dog fight in the corner and then walked up to the canine bartender to whisper into his ear. He nodded, and motioned his muzzle towards the second level where the more civilized Dogs sat on their haunches and ate.

"We got ourselves a private table and a chef who knows how to cook for ponies. Jus' try not to mind the smell."

"It smells like burnt flesh."

"It's called meat. You'll get used to it."

Upstairs, they sat in a booth-like area meant for a maximum of four Diamond Dogs of larger stature, but would easily accommodate several more ponies. A well-groomed waiter served clean water in bowls instead of tall and narrow glasses, which allowed Applejack and Twilight lap their liquid nourishment easily with their tongues. The same waiter came back to serve two salad appetizers in preparation for the main course.

"So Twi, how are you likin' Sewer Town? I know it ain't the surface, but I promise this will be our first and only stop before we head up to Ponyville."

"It is interesting, and it confirms a lot of things I read in books. But that stallion mentioned about you being seen with somepony else. Did it happen to be Shine?"

"It is."

"I know you didn't have a good look at his face or his Destiny Glyph, but personality-wise, what's he like?"

"Let's just say he's a stallion's stallion. He's the type who'd be willin' to go out of his way to protect you no matter how bad the situation. Even when you're tortured in the prisons, the thought of him kept me alive, and before I knew it, he rescued me.

"After that though, he told me he had to go somewhere important. He wouldn't say, but he had been havin' these weird dreams that kept him up all night. Before I knew it, he was gone. I waited and waited months for him. He never returned."

"I can relate."

"Anyway, we were supposed to go on a mission to retrieve the Alicorn that's stored in the Labs, but instead of bustin' in as planned, we're gonna sneak in."

"I have read that Alicorns are a race of legendary ponies who have the strength of an earth pony, the wings of a pegasus, and the horn of a unicorn. You believe this Alicorn will help you search for the other Elements of Creation?"

"I don't know that for sure. I wish I know how to use this here Element to find the others, but with me being magically-challenged, I'm at a loss as to where to begin."

"But now you have me to help you."

"That's mighty kind of you, but wielding magic is a huge liability. While it might be safer for you to do so in Sewer Town, up on the surface, especially near Gaeaopolis, there are magic detection devices planted almost everywhere."

"But if we unicorns are supposed to be extinct, why are they still active?"

"I suspect that we earth ponies can use magical artifacts left over from the Great Pony War, and there are pegasii and clippers who can use Atmos Arts. It's not just unicorn magic they're afraid of. Through science and technology, Gaea has become the most powerful nation on earth. They'll view anything that's against their beliefs as a threat that needs to be destroyed immediately. That is also why they got the upper hand in the Great Pony War.

"But the war continues on Twi. The pegasii rule the western half of this landmass, and Gaea has almost the rest. Gaea is constantly sending weapons to all nations who are fightin' their own battles against magic creatures, hopefully so that they would destroy themselves in the process."

"It doesn't even seem like there's a war going outside."

"You're in Sewer Town, Twi. The war is still far off, and it's been nothin' but sorties and skirmishes in the western borders and in the Frozen North. I have a feelin' that if we don't gather the Elements, Gaea and Pegasopolis will wipe each other out along with everypony else."

Twilight choked on her drink.

"You okay, sugarcube?"

"Applejack... behind you."

"Oh that. I thought I smelled dog food."

Calmly, Applejack turned to see three Diamond Dogs breathing down upon her and her unicorn friend. The three ranged from small, medium, and large, but the medium one wore a red vest.

"Twi," Applejack whispered to the unicorn quietly as possible. "Don't use your magic. I got this."

"Ponies," hissed the Dog in the red vest. "What are ponies doing in my table?"

"This your table?" Applejack slyly grinned. "I'm sorry, but I thought it was vacant. At least according to the bartender."

"Bartender is dumb. Kobold's Den is my place. I own it! You are in my table!"

"You sure you wanna tussle with the likes of me?"

"We don't care who you are!" cried the small fry of a Diamond Dog. He then leapt in claws first at the orange pony, who then kicked him off the second floor balcony to interrupt a random fight below. The largest of the trio lunged in next, and two timely kicks from Applejack's hind legs sent him staggering and then crashing onto a table across. Finally, the medium-sized leader drew a pistol gun, and fired two shots, none of which hit their mark.

Twilight had seen Applejack wield the sword with deftness, but unarmed, she moved with surprising grace. Whatever martial arts she used, the orange pony leapt up and flipped over the Diamond Dog and grabbed his neck with her hind legs. She then flipped him off his feet and sent him crashing into the adjacent private booth.

Two gray mares with straight manes and tail did not change their expression after their meal had been ruined.

"Sister, is that who I think it is?"

"Ah yes," said Ingrid. "It's our dear friend, owner of the Kobold's Den, Rover."

"Ah, it's the Unicorn Hunters!" said the Diamond Dog. "S-so nice to see you! I apologize, but it was these ponies' fault for taking my table."

Ingrid and Bella took one look at Applejack and Twilight before drawing their emotionless eyes back at the Dog.

"Sister," said Ingrid, "wasn't there a bounty on a particular Diamond Dog gang leader for masterminding the recent mine robberies?"

"There is," said Bella, "but the bounty is small fry compared to the one we just completed."

"Who are you callin' a small fry?" cried Rover.

"We could always use the extra bits," said Ingrid, "and it won't be much effort to capture him now."

"Um, maybe I could eat a little later. I'm not hungry yet."

With his head and ears lowered in fear, Rover slipped off the table and slunk away carrying his large wounded compatriot back downstairs.

"Good evening Applejack," greeted the dark-maned mare.

"Good evenin', um, Ingrid. Or is it Bella?"

"The first one. And aren't you going to introduce us to your marefiend?"

"Her name's Twilight."

"Twilight?" said Bella. "Strange for an earth pony to adopt the name of the First Unicorn."

"It's an alias," said Applejack. "She's on the run."

"Took another to your fold, have you?" asked Ingrid.

"I hope you're not plannin' on chasin' me as a bounty."

"No bounty has been set for you... yet. Then again, you're so dangerous that no sane pony would ever want to take you on."

"You do sound awfully confident back there."

"Unfortunately, we are sane ponies despite our profession. Even if there is a bounty on you, we won't take it because we don't like getting mixed up with politics."

"Knowin’ you gals, ya'll will take up any job if the price is right."

"In the event that we do have to pursue you, it would be wise that you hold nothing back against the likes of us," said Bella.

"After all, it is our living, just like how you live by spreading the truth of our society," said Ingrid.

"Say Applejack, now that our table is ruined, maybe we move over to yours and have ourselves a little chat with you and your marefriend?"

"Actually, we're finished," said Applejack. "Twi, let's go."

Twilight, having not finished her meal, could not protest as Applejack promptly tugged her tail back downstairs and out of the Kobold's Den. The orange pony displayed no fear for the ravenous Diamond Dogs that tried to assault her, but the two gray earth mares deeply spooked her so much that she almost fidgeted.

"Applejack," said Twilight. "Who are they?"

"Those sisters are called the Unicorn Hunters. It's best you avoid them."

"Did they actually capture unicorns?"

"So they say, but they might have taken that moniker just to bolster their reputation. They're veteran bounty hunters despite their age, but at least Ingrid and Bella generally leave us alone."

Unicorn Hunters. If they had actually lived up to their reputation then perhaps they were the ones who captured her father or her brother. But if those sisters frightened Applejack and their calm intimidation of Rover was any indication, she could not fight them right now. There were other ways to find out the whereabouts of her father and brother.

PreviousChapters Next