• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 1,660 Views, 18 Comments

I Dream of a Genie with a Light Brown Mane - Metool Bard



Twilight Sparkle receives an interesting package...

  • ...
2
 18
 1,660

Twilight's Third Wish: A Major Change of Plans

Chapter 8:
Twilight's Third Wish: A Major Change of Plans

Twilight was awakened by a powerful roar from outside. It was indeed far too loud to be the wind.

"Nngh, mmph," mumbled Spike, roused by the noise himself. "Who turned off the sun?"

"It's not daytime yet," said Twilight. "Goodness, what could be making such a racket?"

She then peeked out of her window, and her purple eyes became as wide as dinner plates. "Sweet Celestia above!"

"That's not good, is it?" Spike asked groggily.

"More than you know," said Twilight gravely. "C'mon, Spike! There's no time to lose!"

Before the baby dragon could protest, Twilight scooped him up with her magic and ran out the door.

***

Standing right in the town square stood none other than a very angry-looking Ursa Major. The large bear with fur that matched the purple night sky let loose a loud roar sure to wake up anypony within earshot. Twilight noticed her friends rushing alongside her, and deduced that they just woke up, too.

"Oh, you gotta be kiddin' me," said Applejack as she saw the source of the noise with her own eyes. "Is that what I think it is?"

"I'm afraid so," said Twilight, unable to believe it herself. "That right there is an Ursa Major."

The Ursa Major roared again, swiping its large paw at a small house and batting the roof clean off. Its rampage sent many ponies into a panic.

"Of all the worst things that could happen, this is THE, WORST, POSSIBLE, THING!" screamed Rarity in a very melodramatic manner.

"Okay, everypony, show of hooves. Who wants to panic with me?" asked Pinkie Pie, raising her hoof.

"This ain't the time to panic, Pink!" Applejack scolded. "We gotta think of somethin'!"

"Hang on! I know just the pony who can help!" said Rainbow Dash, radiating a take-charge attitude. "Back in a jiffy!"

The cyan speedster zoomed off. Pinkie, meanwhile, began shrieking and running around in circles. Finding her antics annoying, the Ursa Major lumbered towards the pink pony, barreling through any building in its way.

"Pinkie, cut it out!" admonished Twilight, using her magic to keep her hyperactive friend still. "You're just making it madder!"

"Yeah, and I don't think we want that," said Spike with a gulp. "It looks plenty mad already."

"Well, we can't jus' stand around doin' nothin'," said Applejack. "Oh, where is that Rainbow Dash?"

As if on cue, a beam of myriad colors zipped onto the scene. Rainbow Dash was carrying none other than Fluttershy in her hooves. The timid yellow pegasus was curled up into a ball, holding a teddy bear close to her chest and sucking on her hoof.

"Sorry I'm late, guys! It took me a while to get her out of her closet," said Rainbow. "Luckily, Angel was willing to help."

"Of course!" exclaimed Twilight. "Fluttershy is a natural with animals! She can tame this Ursa Major no problem!"

"Um, Twi? Maybe you should tell her that," said Spike, pointing at the cowering pony.

"Oh, right," said Twilight, rolling her eyes. "Um, Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy looked up. Seeing her friends, her face turned bright red. "Um, this is not what it looks like..."

Another roar from the Ursa Major startled her into the air. Seeing the beast for herself, she breathed a sigh of relief.

"Oh, is that all?" she said. "I thought it was a dragon. Well, don't worry, girls. I think I can handle this."

She casually flew up to the Ursa Major while the other five shared a collective shrug. All eyes were on Fluttershy, a heavy tension in the air as they waited for results. To their horror, the tension was broken when the Ursa Major let out a powerful roar that shook the sky, its large fangs snapping at Fluttershy. It then swatted the pegasus out of the sky with one blow of its paw.

"Fluttershy!" her friends exclaimed, rushing to her side. The pink-maned pony was very battered and bruised, wincing in pain as she struggled to her feet.

"What the hay happened up there?!" asked Rainbow Dash, helping her fellow pegasus up. "Are you alright?!"

"I-I'm fine. Nothing broken," Fluttershy said with a heavy sigh. "I'm really sorry, girls. I tried to talk to her, I really did. But she's not listening to me. Or rather, she doesn't want to listen to me. It's as if her heart has been closed off. I-I can't reach her."

"This is most peculiar," Twilight mused. "Why would it..."

"She," Fluttershy corrected.

"...she, act like that?" said Twilight, concluding her thought.

"Maybe this is not the best time to be worrying about that!" said Spike. "What're we going to do now?!"

Twilight thought for a moment, and reached an epiphany. "There's only one thing we can do. Rainbow Dash, hurry to my library and get Misty."

"Huh? Your genie?" asked Rainbow. "Are you sure, Twilight? I mean, I could probably..."

"No, Rainbow. You'll only get hurt," said Twilight, shaking her head. "And it would take too long for me to gather energy for the proper spell, which I'm not sure is powerful enough, anyway. This is the only way."

Rainbow shrugged. "If you say so."

She then zipped off. In a few seconds, she was back with the lamp.

"Great. Thanks, Dashie," said Twilight, rubbing the lamp. Misty appeared in a burst of steam.

"Who what? Ugh, fine time to wake me," the djinn groaned.

"I'm sorry, Misty," said Twilight. "But I need to make my final wish, and I need to make it now."

"So soon?" said Misty. Twilight pointed at the Ursa Major rampaging behind her. "Ooooh. Yeah, I gotcha. Speak, and it shall be done."

"Alright," said Twilight. "My third and final wish is to send that Ursa Major back to where it came from!"

"As you wish," said Misty with a clap of her hooves. And just like that, the Ursa Major disappeared in a puff of smoke. Everypony breathed a sigh of relief.

"Wow. Thanks, Misty," said Twilight. "I don't know what we would've done without you."

Misty gave a sigh of her own. "Honestly, I think you'd be a lot better off," said she.

"Huh?" asked Twilight, confused.

"Here, catch."

Misty picked up her lamp and tossed it over to Twilight. The lamp suddenly sputtered, firing off glowing sparks and puffs of steam. Suddenly, it shot forth a thick purple fog which formed around Twilight in a great towering spiral.

"What in tarnation?!" exclaimed Applejack, unable to believe her eyes.

"Is, that supposed to happen?" asked Pinkie Pie, raising an eyebrow.

"Misty, what's going on?" asked Twilight, beginning to panic. "What's happening to me?!"

"It's a magic vacuum, Twilight Sparkle," said Misty. "Once a genie grants three wishes, the magic lamp sucks in the closest source of magic. It keeps genies from running away, you see. However, in this circumstance, the closest and most powerful source of magic near the lamp is, well, you. I don't think I need to explain the rest."

Twilight opened her mouth to speak, but was interrupted by a powerful force tugging at her head. Looking down, she gasped in horror as a set of golden reins materialized around her muzzle. The force slowly became more and more powerful, pulling her towards the lamp. She struggled against the suction, but her efforts were in vain. "Help! Help me!" she screamed.

"Hang in there, Twilight! We'll save you!" proclaimed Spike. He quickly grabbed Twilight's hoof with his claw, and each of the five ponies gave him their assistance. They all pulled and pulled, but the magic vacuum was too strong.

"Spike!" Twilight cried out, feeling her grip weakening

"Twilight!" Spike called back, pulling with all his might.

But alas, it was too late. Twilight's hoof slipped out of the dragon's claw as she disappeared entirely into the lamp.