• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 1,660 Views, 18 Comments

I Dream of a Genie with a Light Brown Mane - Metool Bard



Twilight Sparkle receives an interesting package...

  • ...
2
 18
 1,660

Howls of Paranoia

Chapter 4:
Howls of Paranoia

"Well, that was fun," said Twilight as she, Spike, and Misty started heading home from the Pony Pet Playdate. "Did you have fun, Owlowiscious?"

Owlowiscious simply gave a tired hoot and perched himself on his owner's back. Twilight couldn't help but giggle.

"Yeah, I can see how racing against Tank would be tiring," she said. "Never thought I'd say that about a tortoise."

"I must say, your friends are certainly an interesting bunch, Twilight," said Misty. "I can honestly say that I've never met ponies like them before. Well, except maybe Rarity."

"Are you kidding?" said Spike. "Rarity is truly one-of-a-kind." He then sighed whimsically as he allowed Peewee to perch on his shoulder. "She's gorgeous, she's generous, she's elegant, and did I mention she's gorgeous?"

"Do I want to know?" Misty asked Twilight.

Twilight looked over to her assistant for approval, but Spike was too busy daydreaming. She sighed.

"I think it's pretty obvious," she said, dipping her voice so that the baby dragon wouldn't hear. "I'm not sure if he still keeps it a secret or not, since he told her already, but to be on the safe side, don't let him know that you know."

"Gotcha," said Misty with a wink. "So, what's next on your agenda?"

"Well, let's see," said Twilight, taking her planner from her saddlebag and looking it over. "I still have to place that order for some new quills and parchment, and I'm picking up some tea from Zecora this evening. Hmm. Anything I'm forgetting?"

As if an answer to her question, Spike let out a fiery belch. The plume of green flame swirled and sparkled, finally materializing as a scroll.

"Hello, what's this?" said Twilight, picking up the scroll with her magic and unfurling it, only to reveal a blank page. "Hmm. It looks pretty important."

"Pretty important?" asked Misty, looking over Twilight's shoulder. "It's just a blank piece of parchment."

"It's encrypted," said Twilight. "I've been expecting this letter. Come on, Spike. We have to get home and decrypt it."

"Right," said Spike with a nod. He then braced himself as Twilight prepped a teleportation spell.

***

In the blink of an eye, they were all back in Twilight's library. Wasting no time, Twilight set the letter onto her stand next to the fireplace and quickly used another spell on it. Sure enough, words began to materialize on the page, letter by letter.

"Just as I suspected," said Twilight. She looked over the letter carefully.

"Well, what does it say?" asked Spike.

Twilight turned to Spike and shook her head. "They haven't been able to figure anything out yet," she said somberly.

"Sorry, I'm a bit out of the loop here," said Misty. "What's this all about?"

"Nothing you need to know, Misty," Twilight said firmly. "This is top secret information from Canterlot concerning the security of Equestria. I can't share it with just anypony."

Misty thought for a moment. "Well, anything I can do to help?"

"Thanks, Misty. But I doubt even your magic would be of much use," said Twilight. "Spike, send the standard reply, and then burn this letter. I'll put Peewee back in his nest."

"On it," said Spike. As Twilight took Peewee upstairs, Spike took out a fresh piece of parchment and a quill and jotted down a quick response. When the letter was finished, he breathed a small plume of emerald flame that carried the letter straight to Canterlot. He then crumpled up the secret document, lit the fireplace with his breath, and tossed it into the hearth.

"There. Done and done," he said just as Twilight returned.

"Alright, Peewee's asleep," said Twilight. "We should move on to the next item on the agenda." She then turned to Misty. "I'm stepping out for a bit. Think you'll be fine on your own?"

"Um, sure. No problem," said Misty. "I'll just go back into my lamp and come out when you need me."

"Good," said Twilight. "See you later."

With that, she and Spike were out the door. When Misty couldn't hear her hoofsteps anymore, she floated over to the hearth. Carefully, she used her magic to take the burnt document from the flames and reconstructed it. When she read it over, she almost couldn't believe her eyes.

Dear Twilight Sparkle, My Most Faithful Student:

I regret to inform you that we have made no progress in the investigation into Tartarus. We still have no idea how the Chimera was able to escape. We tried truth spells as you suggested, but they seem to be ineffective for reasons yet unknown.

We have no proof yet that Orthrus is behind this, as your friend Rarity mentioned. As you can imagine, he has been massively uncooperative. As have the Diamond Dogs, who have all gone into hiding after the incident. Even so, we will continue trying until we get to the bottom of this. If you have any other suggestions, please let us know.

Best regards,
Princess Celestia

***

That night, Misty was wide awake. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't get the letter out of her mind. She had no idea that Twilight was looking into the whole incident.

Life sure has a cruel sense of humor, she thought, pacing back and forth. That unicorn is searching for answers, and they're right in front of her nose. What the hay am I supposed to do now? Tell her the truth? Tell her that the Chimera's escape was my fault? That Orthrus ordered me to do it? Yeah, right. Next I'll tell her that she's not really my mistress, and that I've been playing her for a fool.

She heaved a great sigh. "It's just not fair," she whispered to herself. "Why did she have to be so nice? Why couldn't she be a jerk like my other masters? Why must fate toy with me so?"

Just then, the genie heard a sinister howl, just outside of the window. The sound caused her to freeze.

Oh, don't tell me that flea-bitten hound is monitoring my every move, she groaned inwardly.

As if in response, another howl was heard.

Okay, apparently he is, she thought. She then straightened herself up and looked out towards the window with an air of defiance. "Listen, pal. I don't care how impatient you are, I'm working on this as fast as I can. The whole thing is kinda out of my hooves, anyway."

Another howl echoed from outside.

"Betray you?" said Misty, placing her hooves on her hips. "Forgetting for a moment that you're calling the kettle black, what would possess you to think that? Genies can't betray their masters. Unless they're masochists, which for the record I'm not."

Another howl.

"Second thoughts? What second thoughts?"

Another howl.

"Well, pardon me for having some moral qualms with playing a sweet, innocent pony like some cheap fiddle!"

Another howl, this time louder than before.

"What? No, I'm not going to tell her. What do you think I am, stupid?"

Another howl.

"Oh, I'm sorry. Am I not allowed to feel guilty? Just because you don't have a heart doesn't mean I can't! Now get the heck out of my head! I don't need you hovering over my shoulder, you stupid mutt!"

The howls outside became longer and more pronounced. Misty was brought to the ground, covering her ears with her hooves and clamping her eyes shut.

"Shut up, Orthrus," she muttered, her voice slowly becoming shrill. "Shut up, SHUT UP, SHUT UP!"

"Misty, are you alright?"

The glow of Twilight's firefly lantern caused Misty to open her eyes. She looked up at the lavender unicorn standing at the top of the stairs. Hastily, the djinn composed herself.

"I'm, sorry Twilight," she said, catching her breath. "Did I wake you?"

"No, not at all. I was working when I heard you screaming," said Twilight. "Is something wrong?"

"What? Oh, nothing. Nothing's wrong," said Misty. She heard another howl from outside.

"Wow, it sure is windy tonight," said Twilight.

Misty's face flushed red. Great, now I'm being paranoid, she thought. "It's alright, Twilight. I was just talking to myself."

Twilight gave the genie a look.

"What?" said Misty with a shrug. "I've been living alone in a lamp for several centuries, and I get bored easily. Cut me some slack."

Twilight made her way downstairs and over to Misty. "Hey, do you want to sleep in my room tonight?"

Misty blinked. "I'm sorry?"

"Well, if you're talking to yourself, you must be pretty lonely," said Twilight, as if it was self-evident. "I figure you could use the company."

Misty felt even worse than before. Do you see what I have to put up with? she asked Orthrus mentally. "No, it's fine. Don't worry about me. I've lived alone for centuries. One more night isn't going to kill me."

Twilight shrugged. "Okay. But you're more than welcome to come upstairs if you change your mind."

"You're too kind, Twilight," said Misty. Really, you are.

"Well, goodnight," said Twilight as she trotted back upstairs.

"Yeah, 'night," said Misty. As she went back into her lamp, one last thought crossed her mind:

This all better be worth it. Otherwise, I'm never going to forgive myself.