• Published 18th Jan 2013
  • 1,660 Views, 18 Comments

I Dream of a Genie with a Light Brown Mane - Metool Bard



Twilight Sparkle receives an interesting package...

  • ...
2
 18
 1,660

Twilight's First Wish: Good Morning BBBFF

Chapter 2:
Twilight's First Wish: Good Morning BBBFF

The next morning, Twilight awoke to the sounds of birds chirping and the rays of Celestia's sun shining through her window. She yawned and stretched, and then nudged Spike with her hoof.

"C'mon, sleepyhead. Up and at 'em," she whispered. "We've got a big day today."

Spike turned over in his bed and sighed whimsically. "I'm so glad you like my ice cream house, Rarity," he muttered in his sleep.

Twilight rolled her eyes and shook her head. "You and your ice cream dreams," she said with a smirk. "Alright. Once I get breakfast ready, I know you'll come running."

With that, she got out of bed and trotted downstairs, where Misty was waiting for her.

"Well, good morning, Mistress Twilight!" said the djinn cheerfully. "Given any thought about that wish yet?"

"I thought I already told you, I don't like being called 'mistress,'" said Twilight, rubbing the sleep from her eyes.

"Sorry. Old habits die hard," said Misty, sheepishly rubbing the back of her head. "So, about that wish..."

"Maybe after breakfast," said Twilight, making her way to the kitchen. "I hate thinking on an empty stomach."

Misty zipped over, appearing in front of Twilight in a puff of mist. "Oh, I can make you breakfast!" she offered.

"Um, no thanks," said Twilight. "I can handle that on my own."

"Are you sure?" asked Misty. "Maybe there's something extra special that you've always wanted but you haven't been able to cook yourself."

"Like what?" asked Twilight, raising a skeptical eyebrow.

Misty began sheepishly twiddling her hooves. "Um, well... Maybe some grass pancakes!"

"I can make grass pancakes," said a deadpan Twilight.

"Can you make them as big as a house?" Misty countered.

Twilight sighed, rubbing the bridge of her nose with her hoof. "Look, Misty. I thought I made this clear, but it appears you didn't get the message. I'm not comfortable with you giving me wish ideas. I'll tell you my first wish when I'm good and ready."

"Alright, alright. I'll back off," said Misty reluctantly. "After all, you are my mistress."

"Why are you so anxious to make me use my wish, anyway?" asked Twilight as she started making breakfast.

"Um, no reason!" said Misty nervously. "It's just that, I've never had a master like you before. Usually my masters just ask for the first thing that comes to their minds."

"Without thinking? That's not very smart," Twilight said plainly. "I bet they all regretted making wishes so recklessly."

"Meh, some did some didn't," said Misty with a shrug. "Oh, by the way. That owl of yours is a really curious fellow."

"Oh, you mean Owlowiscious?" said Twilight. "Well, I don't blame him. After all, you did arrive in a mysterious package with no return address. Still, I'm sorry if he kept you up."

"Oh, it's no problem," said Misty. "Just, ask him not to peck my lamp so much next time. The noise I can live with, but the dents are another story."

Twilight smirked. "Alright, I'll let him know," she said as she laid out two stacks of piping hot grass pancakes. "Spike! Breakfast!"

When there was no response, Twilight sighed. "Heh. That must be one good ice cream dream," she said, shaking her head. She then turned to Owlowiscious, who was asleep on his perch. She batted him awake with her tail. "Owlowiscious, would you be so kind as to wake Spike? His breakfast will get cold."

Owlowiscious yawned and hooted, stretching out his wings and ruffling his feathers before flying upstairs. Misty glanced around awkwardly as Twilight waited for Spike. Finally, she decided to break the ice.

"So, um... I forgot to ask," she said. "Where am I, exactly?"

"Oh. Well, this is Ponyville," said Twilight. "It's a quaint little town with a lot of nice ponies. All of my best friends live here."

"You don't say," said Misty, finding herself at least semi-interested. "And, you live here by yourself?"

"Technically," said Twilight, pouring herself some tea. "I have Spike and Owlowiscious, after all. And I'm never alone thanks to my friends."

"I, see," said Misty, biting her lip. Before Twilight could notice, she cleared her throat and continued making small talk. "So, did you always live in Ponyville?"

"Oh, no. Not at all," said Twilight. "I used to live in Canterlot."

"Really?" said Misty. "And what made you decide to move here?"

"It's a long story," said Twilight. "You probably wouldn't be interested."

"Alright, alright! I'm up!"

The conversation was interrupted by Spike's protests upstairs. Twilight stifled a chuckle as the baby dragon lumbered on downstairs, Owlowiscious not far behind.

"Glad you could join us, Spike," said Twilight cheerfully. "I was just telling Misty here about Ponyville."

"Mmm," Spike mumbled, still feeling very groggy. "Whasfer breakfast?"

"Grass pancakes." said Twilight. "I made yours extra crispy, just the way you like it."

"Mmph," Spike grunted, sitting himself at the table. He then stretched himself out and yawned deeply.

"You can probably tell, but Spike's not much of a morning person," Twilight whispered to Misty.

"No, really? I never would've guessed," Misty whispered back dryly.

"So, Twi. What's on the agenda for today?" Spike asked, still in a half-asleep daze as he ate his breakfast.

"I'm glad you asked," said Twilight. She then used her magic to bring in a scroll from the study and unfurl it. "Let's see here... Oh! Today's our Pony Pet Playdate! That should be fun, right Owlowiscious?"

Owlowiscious hooted with approval.

"Alright, what else?" said Twilight, looking back at her list. "After that, I have to place another order for parchment and quills, pick up some tea from Zecora, reorganize my books..."

She continued to rattle down the list. As she did so, Misty made a little gesture with her hoof.

"...make my first wish— Hey."

Twilight looked up at the genie, slightly annoyed. Misty simply avoided her gaze, looking out the window and whistling innocently.

Twilight sighed. "Look, if it'll make you feel better, I'll try and think of something after breakfast."

"Um, sure," said Misty. "I mean, I don't want to rush you or anything. I'm, just not used to this. Yeah."

Twilight shrugged, and began eating her breakfast. Misty turned to Spike, trying to find another way to kill some time.

"So, um, Spike was it?" she said. "Is she always like this?"

"Hmmph? Alwayph like wha?" asked Spike, his mouth full of food.

"Is she always this, I don't know, cautious?" asked Misty.

Spike swallowed before answering. "Well, she always likes to have a plan," said he. "You should've seen her before she visited herself from the future trying to stop herself from worrying about everything, only causing her to fret over this disaster that didn't even exist."

Misty stared blankly at the baby dragon. "I'm sorry, run that by me again?"

"Spike, what did you tell her that for?" asked Twilight, blushing madly. "I'm sorry, Misty."

"Uh, it's fine. Really. I don't mind at all. It's none of my business anyway," said Misty. She then played Spike's story back in her mind, and turned back to Twilight. "Did you, really go back in time? I mean, how far back did you travel?"

"About a week," said Twilight.

"Wow," said Misty in awe. "I can only go back an hour myself. I gotta say, I'm impressed."

"It was just a matter of finding the right spell," said Twilight with a shrug. "Besides, it wasn't really my proudest moment. I nearly drove myself crazy trying to prevent that non-existent disaster."

Misty wasn't sure how to comment on that, so she simply floated there quietly as Twilight finished her breakfast.

"You know, you're pretty impressive yourself. After all, there must be a ton of things you can do that I can't," said Twilight, wiping her lips with a napkin. "My friends are going to flip when they meet you."

Suddenly, there was an epiphany seen in Twilight's eyes. "Wait a minute! That's it!"

"What's it?" asked Misty.

"Spike, take a letter!" said Twilight. "I need to tell my brother about this!"

Misty smiled slyly. "Why write to him, when you can just wish him over here?"

Twilight thought about it. "Yeah, you're right. He probably wouldn't believe me if I just sent him a letter."

"So, shall I bring him here?" asked Misty. "Just say the word, and it'll be done."

"Actually, wait. That won't work, either," Twilight mused. "It's a pretty long way between here and Canterlot, and I don't want to just teleport him here without warning. He'd probably get mad."

"You can always wish him back," suggested Misty.

"And waste two wishes? I like to think I'm more careful than that." said Twilight. She thought and thought, and then pounded her hooves triumphantly. "Eureka!"

"What? What is it?" asked Spike.

Twilight turned to Misty and smiled. "Misty, I wish for a mirror."

Misty gave Twilight a look. "A mirror."

"A magic mirror," Twilight clarified. "One that would act as a communication portal to any reflective surface in Equestria! That way, I can talk to Shining Armor without teleporting him here!"

Misty paused for a moment. "That is, actually very creative. I gotta give you props, Twilight. You are a bright cookie," She then lifted her veil and blew a cloud of mist at a mirror in Twilight's study. The mist completely enveloped the mirror for a time. When it dissipated, the mirror appeared unchanged, save for a sparkling aura around it.

"Your wish has been granted," said Misty with a bow. "Go on, give it a go."

***

Meanwhile, in Canterlot, Shining Armor was just sitting down to breakfast.

"Mmm-mmm. Looks good as always, Cadence," said he.

As if on cue, his wife trotted in, carrying her own plate with her magic. "Only the best for you, Shining. So, any big plans for today?"

"Ah, just the usual," said Shining. "What about you?"

"I figured I'd visit the Crystal Empire, see how things are going," said Cadence. She then giggled. "Actually, Celestia suggested that we move there. The Crystal Ponies have been so attached to me after that incident."

"Hmm. I'll have to find a good replacement for the captain of the Royal Guard first," Shining mused. "I think Holy Lance might have some promise."

"Well, you'd know better than I," said Cadence with a shrug. The two then continued to eat their breakfast in peaceful silence. As soon as Shining Armor cleaned his plate, it began to shimmer and glow. Curious, he stared at it for a bit until his own faint reflection began to become clearer and clearer. As soon as it looked just like he was staring into a mirror, the image changed and distorted.

"What's wrong, honey?" Cadence asked.

"You, might want to come see this," Shining Armor responded. But before Cadence could get up...

"Good morning, BBBFF!"

Shining was so startled, he fell from his chair to the ground. Cadence quickly flew to her husband's side and helped him to his feet.

"Are you alright?" inquired Cadence. "What happened?"

"Sorry sorry sorry!" said a familiar voice. "I didn't mean to frighten you like that!"

Curious, Cadence looked over at Shining Armor's plate and gasped. In the reflection of the plate was the inside of Twilight's library in Ponyville, with Twilight Sparkle standing there looking quite apprehensive. She was about to question this odd phenomenon when Shining fully recovered from the fall.

"Nngh," he grunted, shaking himself and looking into the plate. "Twilie? I-is that you?"

"It sure is!" said Twilight. "How are you, Shining Armor?"

"A bit confused, actually," said Shining. "What are you doing in that plate? Did you perfect a new spell for Celestia?"

"Oh, nothing like that," said Twilight. "It's my new magic mirror! It lets me communicate through any reflective surface in Equestria! Pretty neat, huh?"

"Yeah, I suppose," said Shining, giving his wife a shrug.

"And I got it thanks to her!" said Twilight. With that, she pulled Misty into the frame. "Shining Armor, I'd like you to meet Misty. She's a genie!"

"A, genie?" asked Shining, becoming more confused. "Twilie, where did you find a genie in Ponyville?"

"Well, that's the odd thing," said Twilight sheepishly. "Somepony actually sent her to me in a package with no return address."

Shining raised an eyebrow. "Isn't that suspicious to you at all, Twilight?"

"Well, it was at first," said Twilight. "But, you know what they say. You shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth. Don't worry, I'm being careful with my wishes."

"I know you are, Twilight," said Shining, his tone becoming serious. "But still, you should probably keep your wits about you."

Twilight gave her brother a look. "Shining, this is your little sister we're talking about. Usually, you're complaining to me about being too careful."

"Oh, right," said Shining with a laugh. "Well, it's nice to hear from you, Sis. And, I suppose it's nice to meet you too, Misty."

"Pleasure is all mine, good sir," said Misty slyly, fluttering her eyelashes.

"Um, Misty? He's married," said Twilight.

Misty's face turned red behind her veil. "Oh. Terribly sorry, Mr. Armor. Old habit."

"It's alright. No harm done," said Cadence, walking into frame. "Twilight, are you sure you're alright? Genies can sometimes be tricky."

"Hey, I resent that!" said Misty with a pout.

Twilight giggled a little. "Don't worry, Cadence. I've got everything under control," said she. "Well, I gotta go! I'll, try to give you an advanced warning next time I do this."

"That'd be most appreciated, Twilie," said Shining Armor with a smile. "Take care."

"You too, BBBFF."

As Twilight waved goodbye, the image shifted back to normal. A heavy silence filled the dining room.

"Well, that was interesting," said Shining, breaking the silence.

"It most certainly was," said Cadence. "At least it was nice to see her, even if it was a bit unexpected."

Shining chuckled a little. "I suppose you're right," said he.

***

"That was amazing!" Twilight cheered. "Spike, did you see that? I was actually talking to Shining Armor and Cadence!"

"I saw, I saw," said Spike. "But next time, maybe you should give them a heads-up."

"I know, I know," said Twilight before turning to Misty. "Thanks a lot, Misty."

Misty blinked. "Excuse me?"

"Um, I was just thanking you for granting my wish," said Twilight. "Is there something wrong with that?"

"Only that I usually don't expect it," said Misty. "Seriously, it catches me off-guard every time."

"Oh," said Twilight. "Well, thank you all the same. Now then, it's time to start the day. After I get some things sorted here, we can all go out for the Pony Pet Playdate."

"Awesome!" said Spike. "I'll go wake Peewee."

With that, he dashed back up to the bedroom.

"Well, I guess I'll just stay here," said Misty.

"What? Oh, no," said Twilight. "You're coming with us. I just have to introduce you to my friends!"

"Oh," said Misty. "Um, sure. It is as my mistress commands, so I shall obey."

"Great!" said Twilight. "Now, just wait right there while I get myself organized."

The purple unicorn then got to work organizing her books. Misty sighed. "Why do I feel like I'm going to end up regretting this?" she muttered to herself.