• Published 22nd Jan 2013
  • 11,118 Views, 854 Comments

Equestria Legends Online - Shadowflame



A New virtual reality MMO goes screwy with the arrival of discord. Now over a thousand bronies are trapped in a virtual reality, and the only way out is to play Discord's game. Will they collect the Elements of Harmony in time, or die trying?

  • ...
39
 854
 11,118

PreviousChapters Next
The Unexpected Chapter (non-canon) - Part 2

Discord sipped his grey, herbal tea from the fanciest teacup he could conjure up, sitting upright and in the most gentlemanly fashion. The draconequus sat cross-legged as he waited for only a few seconds time lapse since the end of the first part of this unexpected chapter. Before suddenly, two letters appeared in midair before him.

Grinning, Discord snatched the letters out of thin air, looking down at the seven mares and the one stallion, who used to be seven guys and one girl, standing on the Canterlot street before him.

He looked down at us with a mischievous look on his face, “Finally, your viewers have voted (not really) and have decided what challenges you will face. But first, we need to split you into two groups.” With a snap of his fingers, we were standing on opposite sides of the street in two groups of four.

My group included Siron (Siren), Parangelia (Lexus), Lilac (Violet), and myself (Dark Ember) (Whoa! No! Don’t call me that!). On the other side of the street, the other group consisted of Skyla (You can guess who that is), Spectral (Soul), Veil (Eclipse), and Sw33tcross (Cross).

In a flash, the two letters Discord held disappeared, one reappearing in my hoof and the other in Skyla’s. Before we could say anything, Discord simply disappeared, his voice echoing, “You all better get going! Finish your challenges any later than sunset, you better get used to the idea of fighting as the opposite gender for the rest of the game.”

After Discord left, I pounded a hoof into the ground with a growl, which came out sounding more feminine than I had intended. “Oh, that’s just great. So we’re basically stuck like this until we finish these challenges.” I grumbled as our two groups met back up in the middle of the street.

I glanced towards Skyla, “Well, it’s more than likely that we’ll have to split up. You okay with leading your group?”

She nodded, “Yeah, we’ll be fine, depending on what the heck these challenges are.” She gestured down to the letter she held.

“Good point. Let’s see here…” I opened up the letter for my group and read it.

Your task is to enter the Castle’s Hedge Maze and navigate your way to the other side. But don’t think you have it easy, for I have set up a few surprises for you along the way through.

I frowned as I looked down at the letter, brushing my bangs out of the way so I could see it properly, “Well, it doesn’t seem too hard. We just have to get through the Castle’s Labyrinth before sunset.” I glanced up towards Skyla, “What about you?”

I found that Skyla had already opened up her letter, and upon reading it, her red irises shrunk down to pinpricks. She instantly threw her arms in the air in exasperation, sending the letter up into the air, “No. No! NO! Buck you, Discord! There is no way I’m doing that!”

“What? What is it?” Siron asked, the purple stallion cringing in concern.

“I don’t know.” Veil replied, before catching the airborne letter in her magic, “Let’s see here…” As soon as she read the challenge on it, her eyes widened and her cheeks went red in embarrassment. “Um… uh… what?”

Cross and Spectral, the last two of Skyla’s group, peered over Veil’s shoulders as they read the challenge too.

For everyone’s sake, Spectral read it out loud, “’Your challenge is to get a stallion to kiss you. PS, two of you can’t get kissed by the same stallion.’”

That moment wherein awkward silence prevails came to visit, but thankfully only briefly.

“No! Just no! I refuse!” Skyla repeated, stomping off around the street.

Immediately, I just facehooved, though I could feel a slight blush on myself at the thought of their challenge, more out of embarrassment than anything, “Of course Discord would do something like this.”

But as Cross read through the letter, her face grew beet red again, and she began to sweat profusely, “Oh… um…”

“What is it?” Spectral took a second glance at it, squinting slightly as she read, “Wait, there’s a little note jotted down at the bottom of the letter.” She leaned in closer to properly make it out, “It says, ‘Don’t worry about Sw33tcross, though. She’s already completed the challenge.’”

At that phrase, all eyes slowly drifted towards Cross, who sat on the ground, face completely purple as a flush of red covered her blue fur. She chuckled sheepishly, “Heh heh, um… I can explain?”

_______________________________________

Earlier That Morning: Inside Crossheart’s Bedroom

Cross was in a panic now, sitting on the ground as his legs had failed to work with the sudden change he had discovered.

His eyes were wide, because something had happened that deserved his eyes to widen at. He had turned into a she! He’s don’t turn into she’s normally, did they?!

So, in turn, she did anything a sane person would do.

”AAAAAAIIIIEEE!”

Cross’ shrill scream carried out of her room, and a few moments, someone had heard that scream and had come barreling into the room. Cross turned, her eyes widening even further when she found that someone to be Cinn, whose room resided across the hall from her’s.

* * * * Cinn’s POV * * * *

After hearing a girl’s scream, Cinn rushed into the room it came from… which happened to be Cross’ room? He thought it strange, but he burst through its doors anyways.

But all thoughts of confusion were instantly exchanged with pure disbelief when he saw who was in there.

Cinn felt his jaw go slack when he found himself looking at a blue, unicorn mare, wearing a black, red-streaked mane. He wasn’t sure if his eyes were playing tricks on him, but his disbelief and confusion intensified when he spotted her player ID: Sw33tcross.

Cinn felt his breath get caught in his throat, and his hooves locked in place where he stood in the doorway. No way… His thoughts echoed, That’s… That’s impossible. She couldn’t be… she died months ago!

Sw33tcross gave a nervous smile his direction, “Oh… um, hello?”

Cinn’s heart skipped a beat for the first time ever since it had broken on that fateful day, That- That’s her voice! That has to be her! She’s… She’s alive?!

* * * * Cross’ POV * * * *

The now female Cross and Cinn stood there staring at each other for a good, long while. In Cross’ mind, she thought, Oh, boy… this is going to take some explaining… And I don’t even know where to begin for Celestia’s bucking sake!

She started, “Um, look, I can explain, but- Aagh- Oomf!” Cross didn’t get a chance to finish, as Cinn cleared the distance between them in half a second, grabbed her in his forehooves, and kissed her right on the mouth.

Cross’ face went beet red as she went as still as a statue, completely shocked by the action. While she was trying to register what was just happening, Cinn was completely lost in the kiss.

After a moment, Cinn released his lips and pulled Cross into a firm, emotional hug. The brown unicorn whispered, “I can’t believe it. Cross, you’re alive?”

* * * * * * * * * * * * *

Sw33tcross stammered out, “Oh, u-um, yeah?”

Cinn couldn’t believe it. She had actually survived. Ever since the day she left for that ambush against the players, during Cinn’s days in the Haters’ Guild, he had thought she was gone forever. How was she alive?

Cinn didn’t care, because now she was back with him. For sure, he wasn’t going to let her out of his sights again. Not again, not… ever…

Cinn’s train of thought derailed as he opened his eyes, catching a glimpse of Sw33tcross’ cutie mark… it was a bright red ‘X’, definitely not the mark Cinn remembered being on her flanks before. That mark was… Crossheart's…

Pulling back away from this Sw33tcross in surprise, Cinn’s eyes went wide as he realized, a blue coat and a black-red mane was Crossheart’s color scheme too… so was the mark he had seen… and so was the room he was standing in currently, with no sign of said stallion around…

Wait a minute, Cinn’s eyes turned to pinpricks in befuddlement, his expression very similar to Cross’ bright red, bewildered face, If that’s... that means I-

Instantly, Cinn let out a scream, “Holy ****!” Not a second later, Cinn ran out of the room, trying to spit out the taste and thought of Cross’ morning breath, leaving the genderbent unicorn sitting in her room, eyes wide, with her left eyelid twitching as she realized what had just happened.

“Uh… wut?”

By the end of Cross’ embarrassing tale, everyone just stood there staring at the flushed mare. Well, except for two in particular, Spectral and Skyla, who were laughing their heads off for different reasons.

Spectral giggled hysterically, “Haha! That’s hilarious! Hey, Cross, was it any good? Maybe I’ll just have to see how good of a kisser Cinn is myself when we get back to them.”

Meanwhile, Skyla was laughing her flank off, “Oh my- I wish I could’ve seen Cinn’s face when he ran screaming! It must have been priceless!”

Cross just rolled her eyes at the laughing mares, “Oh, laugh it up, girls. At least I know I don’t have to go through that again. Now I get to watch you both try to get a guy to kiss you.”

Spectral was surprisingly indifferent, while Skyla immediately stopped laughing and shot Cross a bemused look, “… Shut up.”

Lilac giggled a bit, “Oh, don’t worry, Skyla. I’m sure any stallion in Canterlot will want to kiss any mare who looks like Vinyl Scratch. She’s a dang sexy unicorn.” She was joking of course.

A few of us got a few giggles out of that, including me, especially since a small blush appeared at Skyla’s cheeks.

After getting a few giggles out, I cleared my throat, “Alright, we better get going, before the early players come outside and see us. My group, gear up for the labyrinth!”

Parangelia, Lilac, and Siron all nodded, before us four pulled up our player menus and began equipping our usual gear. The other’s gear, despite now being different body sizes, had changed to fit their new forms, including my own.

But as I finished equipping my armor and weapons, and had closed my player menu, I looked back at the others, only to see them suddenly start snickering as they caught sight of me.

“What?” I asked, prompting even more giggles from them. But then, I felt something else, near the bottom of my chestplate, something that felt like my cloak… yet not.

I glanced back towards my flank, beneath my cloak, only to let out a shrill yelp at what I saw, “Aah! Why am I wearing a skirt?!”

Immediately the dam of cackles and giggles burst forth, and everyone was laughing their tails off. Ignoring them, I inspected my… er, skirt (*shudder*, this was getting way too weird). It was a plain, blue skirt that ended after the end of my tail. Though, as I looked at it, I had to admit the blue of it had a pretty nice contrast against my red tail and gray fur, but I still didn’t like it. Plus, it didn’t help that the piece of clothing was attached to the end of my chestplate, which meant I would have to take it off if I wanted to go without the skirt.

… Either go with the skirt or go naked altogether, besides my cloak…Wow. You know, I’m glad I’m pony, otherwise that would’ve sounded really awkward.

Groaning, I shook my head, “Whatever, laugh it up guys. Let’s just get going. I don’t know about the rest of you, but I want to be able to wear my armor skirt-less as soon as possible.”

“That’s what she said!” Cross chimed, prompting me to facehoof again.

_____________________________

Our two groups soon split off for our different tasks, and my group of four made our way to Canterlot Castle. It wasn’t long before we found ourselves walking through the castle to reach the labyrinth.

But all the while, my walking felt a bit uncomfortable. “Gah, Siron, how can girls stand to wear skirts?!”

The former girl raised an eyebrow at that, “Hm?”

“It feels so weird.” I explained, “At my waist, it feels like I’m wearing pants, but it’s so… ‘breezy’ farther down! I don’t like it!”

“Aw, c’mon, Ember.” Lilac joked, “Haven’t you ever worn a kilt before?”

“No.” I deadpanned, “And I said don’t call me that.” I shot her a glare, and she relented away from me in pace.

Of course, at that, Parangelia, who flew up above us, chimed in, “You know what, Shadow, Ember, whatever, you’re being kind of a prick.”

I shot a glance up towards her, “What? I’m a prick? That’s kind of rude.”

She just folded her forelegs against her chest as she flew, in a condescending way, “Yeah, but it’s the truth. Everyone else has been taking this whole change in stride, but all you’ve been doing is being a whiney miss prissy who’s done nothing except snap at every joke towards you.”

I paused for a moment, though not stopping in my walk. As I reflected over the day’s events thus far, I realized that she was kind of right. While everyone had been cheering up each other with jokes and the likes, I had only been a sour puss who snapped at everyone who called me… that other name.

I sighed shaking my head, “Ugh, sorry guys. I guess it’s just Discord getting to me. I’ll try not to snap at anyone anymore.”

A gasp suddenly resounded from behind us in the castle’s hallways, “Shadow?!”

I turned around, only to suddenly get glomped to the floor by a turquoise unicorn mare, one I knew frightening well. Oh, and speaking of fright, as soon as I hit the floor with her on top of me, I felt a pang of said feeling run through my spine.

Frostlight’s expression was ecstatic, “Oh my gosh, when did you gu-“ She stopped short as she realized that she hadn’t tackled a stallion to the ground, but a mare instead.

Pardon me if I say this, but boy was her expression priceless! Her eyes went wide and her smile drooped until the corners of her mouth almost passed the bottom of her chin. It was obvious that either she hadn’t expected me to return as a mare, or she didn’t recognize who I was.

Hoping for the second of the two, I decided to play dumb. I raised an eyebrow at her, “Um, can I help you?”

“Oh my- I’m so sorry!” Frostlight immediately hopped off of me, smiling sheepishly, “I thought you were someone else!”

Huh, good thing my cloak had managed to hide my wings, so I assumed I had passed off to her as unicorn mare who happened to have my color scheme. And for once, thank goodness for the skirt, otherwise she would have seen my cutie mark too. Phew, talk about a close call.

I quickly stood up and brushed myself off, “It’s no biggy.” I replied nonchalantly. “I’m guessing you thought I was your boyfriend.”

Frostlight instantly blushed, “Oh, um… yeah, but how did you know?”

But at this point in the conversation, I realized just what kind of an opportunity I had been given. I was talking with my girlfriend, and she didn’t even realize who I was! I could find out anything she wouldn’t be willing to say to my face! Oh, so many secrets or other things were now available to me. Noticing this fact, I decided to make use of it.

I smirked at her, giving myself a more feminine persona. After all, I didn’t want to let anything slip about my real identity during this! “Oh, don’t worry dear. I get it all the time. After all, when you have the same colors as one of the most important players in this game, you tend to get noticed. Shadowflame certainly has made quite the reputation for himself, but he deserves every bit of attention he gets.”

The others watching from the sidelines just rolled their eyes at that.

Ignoring them, I extended a hoof towards Frost, “I’m Ember. Pleased to meet you.”

She grabbed my hoof and shook it with her own, her embarrassed look disappearing a bit, “Hey, I’m Frostlight… of course, you probably already knew that.”

I nodded, “Yes that would be correct.” I fake giggled, “You see, I do hear rumors about you two once in a while, even outside of Canterlot. My team and I have to get going for daily training in a little while, but since we’ve ‘bumped’ into each other, I would like to ask you a few things, if you don’t mind.”

“Oh!” Frostlight smiled reassuringly, “I don’t mind. It’s the least I can do for knocking you over.”

Perfect I grinned, both inwardly and outwardly, “Okay, I just have one question.” I smiled at her widely, “Do you really love Shadow?”

Frostlight blinked a bit at the question, before a small smile came to her face, “Yes, I really do.”

I grinned widely, Oh, this is working like a charm! But just to double check. “As in… you really do?”

Frost giggled at my ‘fangirl’ expression, “Yes, yes, I really do, alright?”

I squealed in delight… HEY! No! it was just to complete the persona!... I think…

Anyways, I composed myself somewhat and replied, “Oh, that’s very romantic. And I think I’m just kicking the dead horse when I say he must love you just as much, if not more!” Happy and content, I decided now was a good time to get away from my girlfriend before she potentially found us out. “Well, I am satisfied. Sorry, but we have to get going. Thanks for answering my question, and I’m sure Shadow will return safely!”

Frostlight smiled, “Thanks, but it really was no problem. I’ll see you later, Ember!”

She turned and walked away, waving as she left. But once she was out of sight, the rest of my little group joined up with me again.

Lilac giggled slightly, “I don’t know about you, but that was as awkward as hell for us to watch you do that.”

Parangelia just smirked at her, “Please. Imagine what it would’ve been like if Frostlight had known Ember was really Shadow after all of that.” She glanced towards me, “But still, Ember, you do realize you were basically handed the holy grail of every dating man, right?”

“Yup!” I turned back towards the direction of the labyrinth, a bit giddy, “Now, c’mon! The sooner we finish this challenge, the sooner we can get back to the empire and defeat Sombra, and then I’ll be back here with Frostlight again. let’s get going!”

_____________________________

Skyla

“Tell me again.” Skyla turned towards Spectral, “Why did you bring us to a tavern?”

She just laughed, “Oh, don’t you know? The best place to get kissed by random guys is obviously a bar!”

Skyla deadpanned, “Well, two problems with that. First, usually those guys in the real world are drunk, and we can’t even get drunk in this game. Second,” She gestured to the brightly shining sun in the pale blue sky, “It’s eight in the morning! Nobody comes for ‘action’ in a tavern this early, not even the NPC’s!”

“How would you know?” Spectral smirked back, “You’ve never been awake past nine in the morning.”

Skyla opened her mouth to protest.

Spectral quickly added, “And staying up all night into the morning doesn’t count.”

Skyla just rolled her eyes.

“And besides,” Spectral continued as she headed towards the door of the tavern, “If my guess is right, I know a few bozos who’ve stayed up the whole night in here, playing the night away. Now, let’s go kiss some stallions!”

Veil gave her a bemused look, “You seem awfully excited about this…” A thought struck her mind, “You aren’t… er, ‘on that side of the fence’, are you?”

“No, no, nothing like that.” Spectral waved the notion off dismissively with a hoof, “It’s more like I’m curious to see what this is like from the female point of view.” With that, Spectral opened up the door and led Skyla, Veil, and Cross inside the tavern.

When they entered, they found that the tavern was unsurprisingly empty. There was only a single NPC stallion standing behind the counter, cleaning a mug with a rag. However, when they walked farther in, they heard some laughing coming from the far corner of the tavern. The band of four turned their heads towards the laughing to find three stallion players sitting at a round table in the corner, with a deck of cards and poker chips sprawled out in front of them, as well as a mug of mead for each stallion.

“Hah, I was right.” Spectral whispered, smirking in Skyla’s direction, “It seems my poker buddies decided to take an all-nighter game.” She giggled slightly, “Well, by my guess, they won’t realize it’s already morning until the afternoon, and that’s assuming they don’t fall asleep where they’re sitting before then.”

Spectral led the three other unicorns to the bar table, sitting themselves on the stools there, and ordering some mead for each of them.

Taking a sip of mead, Veil savored the flavor, “Ah, that’s some good stuff.”

Skyla nodded in agreement, “Yeah. Back in the real world, I never drank. But since we can’t get drunk in this game, I figured it didn’t really matter if I drank it or not.”

Spectral took a huge swig from her mug, before slamming it onto the bar counter, “Alright, girls, here’s how it’s going to go. I have a plan to get our sorry hides out of this mess in one fell swoop.” She nodded her head towards the table where her poker buddies sat, “There are three stallions over there, and three of us who need to get kissed. If I’ve done my math right, I’ll be able to get one kiss for each of us.”

Veil shook her head in disbelief, “Ignoring the fact that I don’t really like the idea of kissing another guy, how’re you going to do that?”

“Simple.” Spectral replied, before downing the rest of her mug, handing it to the bartender for a refill, “I can usually clean them out pretty easily in poker, but I don’t always for the fun of it. So, all I have to do is play a few rounds with them, then bet each of them a kiss instead of their bits. I’ll win that hand, and then the three of them will have to kiss the three of us, and I don’t think they’ll mind either.” She glanced Cross’ direction, “And you, Sw33tcross, get to just sit by and watch the fireworks, since you’ve already kissed Cinn.”

Cross just smacked her head down over the counter, hiding in embarrassment behind her mug, “I immediately regret the decision to tell you guys that.”

Spectral just giggled, “Hang in there, Cross. We only have today, and then we’ll put this whole mess behind us.” She turned towards the other two, grabbing her refilled mug o’ mead, “This should only take twenty to thirty minutes at most. I’ll call you two over when I’ve won the kisses for us, so just hang tight here.”

Skyla groaned, “Gah, why do I have to do this in the first place? Do I really have to… bleh, kiss one of your poker buddies?”

Spectral shrugged, “Well, this is the quickest way to get back to normal that I can think of, but if you’d rather kiss some other guy, we’d have plenty of time before sunset to make it happen.” She grimaced, “Although, I’m not sure who we’d go to for that.”

Suddenly, Cross’ head perked up off of the counter, thought written across her face, “Wait, what would happen if Siron got through the maze and turned back to normal, but Skyla never kissed a stallion and got stuck as a mare?”

A brief silence hung through the air, before Skyla groaned and face planted onto the counter, letting her wild, black mane shield her from the shame, “Ugh, fine. Go get those stallions, Spectral.”

“Righto!” Spectral replied in a sing-song fashion, before trotting over to the poker table with mead in hoof. After asking if she could play, as well as a light bit of taunting to rile them up, she took her seat there, all the while her poker buddies were oblivious as to who she really was.

Meanwhile, back at the bar stools, Cross mumbled slightly to Skyla and Veil, “You know, now that I think about it, Cinn’s actually not a bad kisser. I mean-“

“Ew, no!” Skyla blurted, covering her ears with her hooves, “Don’t want to hear about it!”

____________________________

Dark Ember

“Well, here we are!” Parangelia announced as we trotted up to the entrance of the hedge labyrinth. She was still flying just above us in Rainbow Dash style, while Siron, Lilac, and I walked. The airborne pegasus let out a small sigh, “Ah, after all this time, we’re going right back to the place where I got my element.”

“Er, no offense,” Lilac commented, the tan mare cringing slightly, “But I hope we don’t have to go underground here again.”

“Wait, underground?” Siron asked, confused, “There’s an underground part of the maze?”

“Oh, yeah, I forgot, you weren’t there for it, Siron.” I replied, “Yeah, there’s a whole other section of the maze underground, but I agree with Lilac,” I chuckled sheepishly, “I don’t want to go back down there again, especially with the boosts the monsters have gotten since we were last down there.”

Siron blinked in confusion, “Really? What happened down there anyways?”

Parangelia waved a hoof nonchalantly, “Oh, you know, fell underground after springing one of Discord’s traps, got separated from everyone else, fought a hydra, heck, I even heard Dylan and Sky almost got squished by a giant armadillo down there.”

By this time, we had already walked through the maze’s entrance, and were continuing on through it. But as we did, Parangelia’s wings failed and she ended up falling to the ground, thankfully landing back on her hooves.

Parangelia blinked in surprise, “Whoa, what?” She gave an experimental flap of her wings, though she couldn’t get airborne with them, “Are you kidding me? Why can’t I fly?”

Suddenly, a familiar voice echoed through the maze, “Sorry, this is a flight-free zone.”

“Discord!” We all glanced around the maze, though there was no sign of the draconequus anywhere, “Where are you?”

The voice replied, “Oh, nowhere near you, my dears. I’m just watching you four and the others from my own little hideaway. And, dear sunbutt princess, they are quite entertaining to watch.”

I frowned, asking the disembodied voice, “Wait, why aren’t you appearing in front of us like you always do?”

“Because, chaos.” He replied flatly.

I rolled my eyes, but Discord just laughed, “Oh, don’t roll your eyes at me, Princess Ember.” Wait, how’d he know about that!?! “Just go on ahead! Your first task in this challenge is just around the next corner.”

Shaking my head, our group continued forward.

Lilac glanced around warily at the maze, keeping a tight grip on her hammer, just in case she needed to whip it out at a moment’s notice, “What do you think the first task is going to be?”

Parangelia shrugged, still a bit bemused that she couldn’t fly inside the maze, “I don’t know. I bet it’s going to be dangerous though.”

Suddenly, a random geyser of steam burst randomly out of a patch of grass right next to Lilac's leg, causing her shriek in surprise in the most girly way possible as she jumped back away from it. And just as quickly as it came, the completely random geyser disappeared, as if it hadn't even been there, save for a wide eyed lilac staring at where it had been.

We all stared at Lilac, and she blushed in embarrassment at having screamed like a complete girl, even if she currently was one. She chuckled sheepishly, "Um... so... that happened, I guess?"

Parangelia just sighed in bemusement, "Alright, so we just need to keep an eye out for any other random things Discord has waiting for us. Let's go." We turned and continued down the maze. Though, we all had a feeling that we weren't going to like what we were going up against.

Author's Note:

Surprise! This R63 alternate route of the story will be a three-parter! Yay!:yay: This was surprisingly fun to write, and I'm sure that the jokes I put in there were up to par with their expectations. Sorry if there are any typos I missed, because I couldn't wait for my proofreader to find time to send what typos there were.

But I am SOOOO psyched for the upcoming (canon) chapters. You have no idea how epic the story will get, and also because I've been thinking this story up for the past TWO YEARS, and we're finally nearing the point where the end is in sight!!

Anyways, thanks for reading!
All you guys are awesome for following me into the story this far!
-Shadowflame

PreviousChapters Next