• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 8,545 Views, 130 Comments

What Will Make You Happy - ladyanaconda



Twilight Sparkle is marrying Discord, but Shining Armor doesn't like the idea in the least, which can endanger his relationship with his LSBFF. Will he accept Discord as a brother-in-law?

  • ...
23
 130
 8,545

Suspicions and Reencounters

Cadence had insisted on staying in Ponyville with Twilight to oversee the weddind with her, but unfortunately, Shining Armor had to return to Canterlot to make sure everything was doing fine. And secretly, he was hoping that he could learn more about Discord in the library, although there was not much information about him on history books, and there was not a book about Draconequues neither. However, before departing to the train station, Discord suggested to transport him to Canterlot.
"No way! The least I want is to reappear in the Frozen North!" Shining Armor declined the offer nervously
"oh, come on, Shiny!" Discord wrapped an arm aroud the stallion's shoulders, "Do you think I would be capable of sending you all the way there?"
"Yes, i do..." Shining thought, "Not really, but I would feel more comfortable if I go by train, that's all,"
"Come on, Shining Armor!" Twilight insisted, "It's not like that! I have done it before, and it's much more convenient than the train,"
"But I'm not used to those kinds of spells, I would just like to walk, that's all,"
"Why do you have to be so bad?" she teased, and Discord simply shrugged
"Don't worry, I can't send him to the Frozen North. Between us, I don't even know where it is."
Both of them laughed, then Shining Armor humorlessly walked out of the library. However, when he thought nopony was seeing, he hid in one of the bushes in front of the window.
Twilight headed outside to meet up with the other girls, failing to see her brother, and leaving Discord alone. When Spike was about to follow her, Discord grabbed him with his tail and lifted him at the level of his face.
"Discord, if you're still mad about what happened with Rarity, I'm sorry-!"
"Don't worry about that,I only wanted to ask you something," Discord looked around to make sure there was no one that could hear,"... What does Twilight like?"
Spike gave him a confused look, "What's that supposed to mean?"
"We're supposed to give each other wedding gifts, so I wanted to give her something special, but what can I give her?"
"Why don't you give her a book? She loves them,"
"... Spike, would you take a look around?"
Spike did as he was told, but all he saw was the bookshelves filled with...
"oh... I get it,"
"This is a library, Einstein. There thousands of books in there, I want to give her something she doesn't have!"
"well, then... You could also make her something, she loves that kind of gifts,"
"Yes, good idea! I'll just have to figure out what to make her. Thanks, Spiky, if you need me,I'll be in Canterlot!"
"Canterlot?"
"Yeah! Perhaps I can get an idea there. If Twi wonders where I am, tell her I went to take a walk."
Discord then narrowed his eyes, "And do what you do, do not tell [ianyone]about this, especially Twilight!"
"I have an idea, why don't you hypnotize me to forget what you just told me?" Spike suggested, "I'm not exactly good at keeping secrets,"
"Are you sure? I'm kinda out of practice, the least I need is you getting amnesia,"
"It is reversible, right?"
"Now that you mention it, I could snap you out of the trance with a click of my fingers... Alright, but I'm not responsible for baby dragons behaving like kittens,"
Spike laughed, but the both of them didn't see Shining Armor peeking through the window. However, he couldn't hear what they were saying, but by the way Discord was holding Spike, it as surely not pretty. Suddenly, he saw swirls in Discord's eyes, and soon Spike had the same swirls in his own. Shining Armor gasped in horror.
"I knew it!" he growled, "I knew he hadn't really changed!"
Saying this, he immediately rushed to the train station. Back inside, Discord let Spike down, and the baby dragon looked quite dizzy.
"So, did it work, Spiky?" the Draconequus inquired, "Do you remember anything about what we just talked about?"
Spike scratched his head, "what did we talk about, again?"
"Ha! Perfect! Just tell Twi I have a surprise for her, and that I went for a walk!"
Saying this, Discord snapped his fingers and disappeared in the blink of an eye; Spike simply shrugged and walked out of the library.

XOXOXO

Shining Armor had decided that he didn't have time to use the train at the last moment, so he used a transportation spell of his own. He appeared right in the middle of the Royal Canterlot Library, which was empty, except for the librarian, just perfect. The old unicorn with olive green coat and dark brown mane noticed the Captain of the Guard had entered, but was confused about what he was doing there.
"Captain? I thought you had an errand in Ponyville," she whispered, but was assaulted with requests.
"I need some books about the History of Equestria and the Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony!" he estates firmly, although he also knew the librarian was old and could take a while.
"Why would you want those books, captain-?"
"Just... curiosity,"
The librarian shrugged and ran as fast as her old legs allowed her to search for those books, Shining Armor decided he would find everything he could about Discord.
And speaking of the Spirit, he had reappeared in the Canterlot Gardens and was taking a long walk. What could he give Twilight? Quills? too easy to get. Clothes? Rarity would sure give her that. Flowers? That's the oldest gift that existed! He need something original, special, and... perhaps he could make something for her? He just needed to think what.
Just as he was walking, he realized he was passing through the Canterlot Statue Gardens. Memories started flowing through his mind, to when he escaped for the first time, to when he was sealed again... Even the first time he saw Twilight, he had found her attractive. Then, he was changed back from stone with a chance for redemption, and he saw his chance to court Twilight. Initially, she didn't even want to be near him, but as time passed, and he showed progress with Fluttershy, the Mane Six started to like him quite a bit. After he was declared officially reformer, he had asked Twilight out on a date... and it couldn't have gone any better.
Then it hit him.
"That's it! I know what I can give her!" But then his mood drooped drastically, "But I'll have to ask Rarity for help..."
Just then, he heard a little voice he thought he would never hear again.
"Daddy?"

XOXOXO

Shining Armor had literally stomped out of the library.
He hadn't found any useful information about Discord. HE read the copies of History of Equestira and a book titled THe Spirit of Chaos, but none of them had information about how to dispel his hypnosis. There wasn't much he could do but try and find a way on his own. Just as he was passing through the Canterlot Statue Garden, he spotted the familiar Draconequus his sister had fallen for; however, he noticed Discord was holding... a mare in his arms? The mare had a pink coat which reminded him of cotton candy, and her mane and tail, fluffy like clouds, were a bright purple, with a few white strains white on them. Shining Armor growled at the thought of Discord cheating on his sister. He was far from them, however, and couldn't hear what they were saying.
"Daddy! You're back!" the mare nuzzled into the Spirit's chest, and Discord was holding her close to him in return.
"My little Screwball! Where have you been?" Discord was close to crying, "I thought I would never see you again!"
"When they turned you back to stone, I always came here to visit you! But one night I came and you were gone! I thought they had taken you away, and I went to look for you!" Screwball sobbed, "Promise me you'll never go away again!"
"There, there, my little abomination. I Promise I'll never leave you again. But hey! There's exciting news! You'll have a mommy soon!"
Screwball looked up at her father, "a mommy?"
DIscord nodded, "Yep! In fact, I think now would be a good time to introduce you to her!"
"Really? Yay!"
"Hang on tight, my little abomination!"
Shining Armor was about to go and ask Discord who that mare was, but the Spirit snapped his fingers and the two were gone. He stomped his hoof in frustration.
"I have to talk to Twiley about this!" he snapped, before using the same transportation spell to return to Ponyville.
Unfortunately, he was so angry that he didn't concentrate as well as before and instead of appearing in the library, he appeared in the middle of Everfree Forest. The white stallion let out a frustrated groan, and used his horn to light up the way, careful not to call the attention of the animals that lived there.
On the library, Twilight, Cadence and the Mane Six had already returned from printing the invitations and from Sugarcube Corner to do the catering. Spike had told them Discord had gone for a walk, and that he had a surprise for Twilight. He also said the Shining Armor had already left for Canterlot, and probably wouldn't be back until the next day.
"Do you think Discord will like chocolate cupcakes?" Twilight inquired
"Twi, he makes chocolate rain, why wouldn't he like chocolate cupcakes?" Rarity pointed out
Cadence added, "I just hope he doesn't start making cupcake rain,"
Everyone laughed at the comment. Suddenly, Discord appeared floating in the middle of them, holding a mare in his arms.
"Everyone, there's somepony I want you to meet," he placed his daughter in floor, "This is my daughter, Screwball!"
Everyone byt Pinkie Pie was silent; the pink mare stood and went to shake hooves with Screwball.
"Hi! I'm Pinkie Pie! Do you want to be my friend?"
Screwball giggled, "Let's be best friends!"
the both of them started hopping around the room.
Twilight was both confused and a little angry to why Discord hadn't told her he already had a foal, but before she could berate him, he lifted up his eagle talon.
"And before you ask me 'Why didn't you tell me you had a daughter, or that you had married before?', I want to tell you, Screwball doesn't have a mother at all. She was created when I was experimenting with cotton candy clouds,"
The group seemed to accept the explanation, although Twilight was still a little mad.
"And why didn't you tell me?" she crossed her hooves, a little hurt that he had kept the secret.
Discord landed next to her with an apologetic expression, "Sorry, sweetie, I hadn't seen her in these three years and I thought she had moved away. I didn't think I would see her again, but I admit, I should have told you guys about it,"
The group took a look at Screwball, and all emitted adorable laughs when they saw Pinkie Pie and Screwball playing "book fortress". Twilight had to admit it, she was rather cute and seemed friendly.
"Well, I guess I don't mind having a stepdaughter at all, I just wish you had told me about her,"
Fluttershy, "Speaking of which, was that the surprise Spike said you wanted to give to Twilight?"
Discord grinned, "Nope, but I can't tell you. It's not called a surprise for nothing!"

XOXOXO

Shining Armor finally arrived at Ponyville, although Luna had already lifted the moon into the sky, and headed straight for the library, hoping he would be able to speak with Twilight before Discord returned. But when he got to the library and was about to open the door, he heard laughing from inside. He peeked through the window and was astonished to find the same mare from the Statue Gardens inside the library, on Discord's lap. Twilight, Cadence and the other Mane six were all sitting around them on the floor, laughing. Pinkie Pie and Screwball apparently got along very well, it seemed.
"What's going on in there?" he whispered.
"Shining Armor?" he heard Spike's voice, and twirled his head around in fright, seeing the baby dragon a few steps away from him, "I thought you would not be back until tomorrow,"
"Well, I decided to use teleportation spells of my own," Shining Armor grew nervous, "But before I left, I noticed you and Discord had a chat. What did you two talk about?"
Spike tried to remember, but something inside his mind blocked that information, "I don't seem to remember... All I recall is a surprise for Twilight..."
"Maybe Spike heard something about his plans and he hypnotized Spike to make him forget..." Shining thought, "What surprise?"
"I don't know! I don't remember!"
"Did he do something to you? I don't know, hypnotized you?
"I..." Spike narrowed his eyes, "I think he did-"
"I KNEW IT!"
"give me a small headache,"
Shining Armor sighed in frustration once again, "If I don't do something fast, he'll do something horrible to Twilight,"
"How do you know? They're happy!"
"No! She thinks she is happy, but in reality she is under his control! I'm sure! I just need a way to snap her ot of the trance!"
He wouldn't give up so easily, which soon would cause him deep trouble with his little sister.