• Published 17th Jan 2013
  • 8,531 Views, 130 Comments

What Will Make You Happy - ladyanaconda



Twilight Sparkle is marrying Discord, but Shining Armor doesn't like the idea in the least, which can endanger his relationship with his LSBFF. Will he accept Discord as a brother-in-law?

  • ...
23
 130
 8,531

Trapped

The next few days were not better.
Shining Armor had attempted to speak with his sister, but the Mane Six didn't let him near the library. He asked Cadence to try to convince them to let him go in, but she had told him that there was nothing she could do, since Twilight did not want to see him. Discord didn't seem to hold a grudge against him, but that didn't mean the Draconequus would not give him the occasional glare. Princess Celestia had been very clear when she told him he was no longer invited to the wedding; in fact, she warned him that if he tried to intervene again, she would send the guards to kick him out.
In other words, he was completely alone.
The next week, the date of the wedding had been set, and the preparations continued. Twilight had finally set a hoof out of her room, and she was met by a bouquet of flowers, given to her by Discord. The flowers were fire lyries, and those could only be found in certain, isolated parts of Equestria. Discord said that it was great trouble obtaining those flowers, but there was nothing he wouldn't do for his bride. That had put Twilight in a much better mood.
Shining Armor could only watch from afar as his little sister, Discord and the Mane Six walked around Ponyville, either hanging around or checking what was left before the wedding. Even Cadence and Screwball would often join them, but he couldn't get a meter near Twilight.
"Stupid..." he thought miserably as he drank about his thirteenth cup of honey beer, "I could at least have spoke with Twiley about it first, or even ask Screwball if she knew Discord in any way, but noo... I had to simply go and crash the rehearsal!"
Cadence was getting worried about her husband; he would often go to Sugarcube Corner and drink nonstop, and then he'd tumble back to the home they had been staying while preparing the wedding. Twilight would no longer pay them visits... well, she would visit Cadence, but she didn't want to see her brother yet.
In one of those nights, Shining Armor was stumbling home when he was encountered by Discord, who had gone to do some things for Twilight, including giving a retouch to Fluttershy's garden, where the wedding would take place. Fluttershy had offered it generously, although her animals didn't seem to like the idea at all.
"Shiny?" Discord became worried when he noticed the white stallion had over-drank, "Are you alright? Did you spend the entire night in the Corner again?"
"What do you -*HICK*- care?" Shining snapped, almost losing his balance in the process, "At least you still -*HICK*- get to se Twiley-*HICK*- and I'm not even allowed to put a-*HICK*- hoof in the wedding!"
"Stop it! I'm taking you home before somebody takes an embarrassing picture of us." Discord attempted to put his lion paw on Shining Armor, but the stallion pushed it away.
"Oh, no! You-*HICK*- don't! You'll only get me if you can-*HICK*- put those slimy fingers of you on me!"
Saying this, his horn started to glow, and in a burst of light, he disappeared. Discord smacked his forehead with his eagle talon and groaned in frustration.
"I can't believe it!" he muttered, "He had the guts to say my fingers are slimy! They're not slimy!" he waved his fingers in front of his eyes, and snapped his eagle talons disappearing as well.
He reappeared in the middle of Everfree Forest, deducing that was the place Shining would have ported to in his drunk state. However, he had the feeling it would take a while to put Shining under control, he didn't want to worry Twilight; he made a pen and paper appear, and started writing something. When he was done, he snapped his fingers and made the paper disappear.
"I'm the biggest-*HICK*- jerk in the world!" he heard Shining's voice echo through the forest and perhaps the mountain range.
"That idiot!" the spirit muttered before flying towards the source of the voice, and soon spotted a speck of white in the darkness.
"Shiny!"
Shining Armor looked up from his spot on the grass, "What do you-*HICK*- want?!"
"Stop yelling! We're near the mountain range! If you yell like that, you'll bring all the mountain down!"
"So what?! I don't have-*HICK*-anything to live for!"
"Perhaps you don't, but I do! You realize that I can't leave her at the altar by herself."
"IN THAT CASE, GET THE HECK OUT OF HERE AND GO WITH HER!!! JUST LEAVE ME ALONE!!!"
Suddenly, everything started to tremble, making Shining Armor fall again. Discord looked up, and much to his horror, he saw the the rocks in the cliffs above them were starting to crumble and would crush them if they didn't move. He quickly looked around, and managed to spot a cave a few meters from them.
"Get into the cave! Now!" Discord practically screamed-it didn't really matter now, since the Shining Armor had already trigger the avalanche- but the stallion didn't move.
Discord growled as he picked Shining up and flew into the cavern; just as the both of them landed in he rocky ground, the rocks collapsed in the entrance of the cave, blocking the way out, to which Discord reacted by sighing in frustration.
"Great, Shiny!" he growled, "we're stuck in here! Are you happy now?"
"More than ever!" Shining muttered, "At least you won't be marrying Twilight... you won't take her away from me..."
After saying this, the stallion lost consciousness. Discord attempted to look around, but it was way too dark, except for a small stream of moonlight that filtered through the which rocks blocking the exit. However, when he snapped his fingers to make a flashlight appear, nothing happened. The spirit snapped his fingers various times, with no results; apparently, the cave had some kind of properties which cancelled magic.
Discord huffed in the silence that followed, "Marvelous! I'm stuck in a giant rock with my bride's drunk brother and with no magic. Great, just great." With nothing else to do, he started to think about what Shining Armor just told him.

You won't take her away from me...

That's what was bother Shining Armor all along, he was actually jealous of Discord. However, in the stallion's current condition, there was not much he could do, so he guessed the only thing to do was wait until he woke up. After five minutes passed, however, the Draconequus felt his eyes heavy, and eventually he joined Shining into slumber.

XOXOXO

Twilight was walking around her room, worried about Discord, he had gone out about two hours ago and he still wasn't back. She had asked Fluttershy, but she said he had left her cottage already. Cadence was there as well, and she was worried not only about Discord, but Shining Armor as well.
"Where could he be?" Twilight whispered in worry, "I don't think he is making chaos somewhere, is he?"
Cadence put a hoof on Twilight's flank, "Don't worry, I'm sure there's an explanation for this."
Suddenly, a piece of paper appeared out of nowhere and floated to the ground. Cadence and Twilight were at first startled, but the pink Alicorn used her magic to pick it up, and then she started reading.

My dearest Twi:
I'm afraid I might be a little late, because your brother is... how to explain it... drunk, and he has teleported to Everfree Forest. I guess you'd imagine what I'm talking about; I'll try to make sure he doesn't commit a stupidity -well, 'another' stupidity- and see if I can calm him down.

Yours truly, Discord.

P.D: If we're not back by morning, I'd thank you if you came to look for us. Who knows what can happen in these crazy woods.

Twilight's worry changed into anger, "Shining Armor did something again?! I can't believe it!"
"Well, the letter says he was drunk, so I guess it's not his fault at all, he doesn't know what he is doing." Cadence tried to explain.
But Twilight was still sore about Shining Armor's ruckus at the rehearsal, "If he does something to Discord, I'll never forgive him!"

XOXOXO

Hours pass rather quickly when you're asleep; when Shining Armor finally opened his eyes, he noticed he was inside a cave, but he couldn't remember how he had gotten there. His head was hurting terribly, and almost everything was darkness. However, through the rocks blocking the exit filtered a small stream of light -now sunlight, for morning had already arrived- and he barely managed to see Discord's figure curled up a few steps away.
"D-Discord?" he whispered, still sleepy.
"You're finally awake," the Spirit said, standing up and stretching himself, "i thought it would take you a little more time to wake up."
"Where are we?"
"Well, since your little sideshow yesterday night, we ended up trapped in here with no magic."
Shining was caught by surprise by that sentence.
"Sideshow? No magic? What's that supposed to mean?"
"Oh, please! Don't you remember anything?" Discord huffed in irritation, "You were drunk, I tried to take you back but you transported here, I followed you, you were yelling like crazy and caused an avalanche, and I pushed you into the cavern to save your drunk butt! But when I tried to use magic to illuminate in here, I found my magic didn't work."
"That can't be!" Shining tried to use magic, but his horn only let out a few sparks, "Why can't we use magic?"
"I guess the cave doesn't want us to use magic. How am I supposed to know?"
"You mean we'll be trapped in here until somepony passes by?"
"I guess so,"
"Great! Just great!" Shining Armor started pacing around the small cavern, "What are we supposed to do now?!"
"What else can we do? We'll have to wait until something happens," Discord simply replied, and received a glare in return.
"You're the supposed Spirit of Chaos and Disharmony and you tell me you can't use magic in a simple cave?!"
Discord narrowed his eyes, offended, "Can you use magic, Mr. Captain of the royal guard?"
"..." Shining looked down, "No."
"Then stop acting as if this whole mess was my fault!"
"It is your fault!"
"My-?!" Discord was completely caught off guard, and gave the white stallion an incensed glare, "My fault?! If you hadn't screamed like a madcolt, we wouldn't be trapped in here! Oh, no, wait a second! If you hadn't been so drunk, none of this would have ever happened!"
"Oh, yeah, as if!" Shining growled, "But if you had not arrived in Twiley's life to destroy all that was important to me-!"
"Excuse me? I didn't crash the rehearsal by making rash accusations about me!" The spirit then narrowed his eyes again, "And you can't deceive me any longer! You're not doing all of that because I'm a Draconequus or because how I used to rule Equestria!"
"What are you talking about?!"
"You're doing this because you're afraid that I'll steal your sister from you!"
Shining Armor was silent for a while, before he snapped, "That's not it! I know you're a complete trickster and a malevolent creature!"
"And how do you know that?! Do you even know me personally? Or did you base that in what you simply saw?"
The white stallion had nothing to say against that; indeed, he had simply deduced things instead of asking somepony about it, he drew conclusions from what he assumed was seeing. And he had to admit, he realized he had been jealous all the time, of how Twilight Sparkle now spent more and more time with Discord and she barely had time to speak with her brother. So there was no point in denying it any longer.
"... you're right, okay?! I was afraid that I would not see Twiley again, or that she would forget about me! All she spoke about was Discord, Discord, Discord! When I tried to speak to her after finding out about the wedding, she didn't have time because she and you went to see all of the stuff! She could not spare time for me!"
Discord's anger cooled down when he heard the stallion's emotional breakdown -literally, the white stallion was now back on tears- and decided not to interrupt him.
Shining continued, "So I thought you were controlling her because she didn't even listen to me, and my sister had always listened when I had something to say! She would always stop something she did, no matter how important it was, just to spend some time with me! We had never fought for something! We... We..."
He couldn't finish his sentence, for he had gotten on his knees and was sobbing uncontrollably; despite this, he felt he had taken a great weight off his shoulders. Speaking of shoulders, Shining felt something over his right shoulder. He looked up, and saw Discord had placed his talon on his shoulder, and was giving him a compassionate look.
"Look, Shiny... I know how do you feel, but I'd never steal Twi from you. She is your little sister, she'll always love you, but she is no longer a filly. Do you have any idea of how much you hurt her when you arrived at the rehearsal to try and convince her not to marry me, instead of arriving to stand by her side in one of the most important moments of her life, like she would like her brother to do? She was angry because of that. You have to understand that your feelings and her feelings are not the same; Twilight needs what will make her happy..."
"... not what will make me happy..." Shining finished, getting the message, "But... she doesn't want me in the wedding anymore..."
"We'll see about that later, what we must do right now is to find a way to escape from here and then you can apologize to her,"
the Draconequus gave the stallion a smile, " But first I must ask you: Shining Armor, would you like to be my brother-on-law?"
Shining Armor was silent for a long time, processing everything on his brain. After a while, he gave the spirit a small smile as they shook their hoof/talon, "I do."
Suddenly, the both of them heard faint voices coming from outside. Discord peeked through the hole the light was filtering through, and was overjoyed when he saw his beloved lavender unicorn, along with Cadence, his little Screwball and some of the Mane Six; they were looking around, calling their names. However, his joy started to evaporate when he saw them walking away
"Shiny, I have good and bad news," he spoke, "The good news, Twi and the others are out there looking for us."
"And the bad news?"
"They're walking away..."
Shining Armor and Discord looked at each other for a while, and then...
"HELP!!"