• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 7,233 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's Sleepless Nights - L_Wolf



Twilight tries to perform an experiment that goes wrong and she starts to have bad dreams about what could have happen.

  • ...
6
 53
 7,233

Everything.... is fine (Revised V2)

Day 2

Morning

Twilight had managed to get back to bed later that night. She decided to put the experiment on hold for now, and do more research on both her experiment and that dream. She was back in bed, when Spike had woken up. He thought it was odd that Twilight was still in bed, she was normally up before he was. He watched her for a moment, before going over to fix her blanket which had been tossed haphazardly over, her before he headed down stairs.

When Spike got down stairs, he saw the mess Twilight had left the night before. Books scattered all over the floor, along with an empty mug on her desk. He was used to Twilight being up late, and leaving a mess. But he hadn't seen her leave a mess this big before. He started to put away the books as he grumbled out, "What has gotten into her?" He checked one of the books, and tilted his head, it was on dream analysis.

Twilight woke up later that morning, and got out of bed. She noticed Spike wasn't in bed, and blinked, Spike was never up early, she thought to herself. She looks out the window, and saw how late it was. "Ahhh! It's already mid-morning! Spike, why didn't you wake me up?!" She yelled, as she ran down the stairs. "Spike?!" She started to get into a panic, when she didn't see him in the main hall of the library, and the dream from last night flooded back to her.

"I'm right here Twilight," He called back, as he stuck his head out of the kitchen. He blinked when he saw her, as she shuffled from hoof to hoof, looking around in a panic. Her mane sticking out, and her eyes wide. "Are you ok? You look freaked out."

She looked over, and calmed down when she saw him there, with a confused look on his face. "I'm fine Spike," she answered him. She headed over, and went into the kitchen. She used her magic to take down a mug, and filled it with tea. "I’m just not used to sleeping in late." She went on to explain, also it was half-true. She was an early bird, she didn't like it when she slept late, it threw off her schedule. She really didn't want to talk about her dream either, so she left it at that.

"Alright Twilight," He didn't buy that explanation, she had been way too freaked out for just having overslept. There was also the books on dream analysis she had left out, but he didn't want to press the issue. He put Twilight's breakfast on the table for her. Grain toast like she normally had in the morning. "What are we going to be doing today? Work on the experiment again?"

"No Spike, I decided to put that on hold, for now," Twilight answered, before she took a bite of her toast. "I need to do more research on it before trying again." She was still worried about what had happened, and her dream. She didn't want to risk something like that actually happening.

"Well, alright, Twilight," he said, with a look of concern. He had never known Twilight to give in so easily, and they had studied the research for that sort of spell and experiment backwards and forward for nearly two months. He left Twilight in the kitchen to go and his finish his chores for the day. He wanted to finish with the library’s main hall, before ponies started to show up, after that he would clean the bedrooms, before going back to the kitchen, and clean up the breakfast dishes.

Twilight sat at the table, thinking about her dream again, before she shook her head trying to dismiss it. "It was just a dream, let it go Twilight. Spike is fine," she reassured herself, and finished her toast and tea. She used her magic to put the dirty dishes away in the sink before she headed out into the main hall of the library. She started to look over the book titles, and tried to find the one she wanted. Once she found it, she sent it over her desk and looked for the next book.

Day 2

Afternoon

As afternoon rolled around, Twilight put on her saddle bags. "Spike I'm going to head into town. Take care of the library," She called out to Spike.

“I will Twilight,” Spike called back. Twilight smiled and used her magic to open the door and went outside, her magic shut the door behind her. She stood outside for a moment to take in the afternoon sun and fresh air.

Twilight made her way down the street to her first stop, Quills & Sofas, to get some new quills before she made her way to Sugar Cube Corner. The dream was still fresh in her mind, as much as she tried to dismiss it. She decided to get Spike a treat, plus she was a bit hungry. She went inside, and up to the counter. "Good Afternoon Mrs. Cake."

"Hello Twilight, what can I do for you?" Mrs. Cake asked, as she smiled at Twilight with her normal friendly smile. She stood behind the counter of the baked sweets store. "Pinkie Pie is out at the moment, if you're looking for her. I can let her know, when she gets back," She added.

"Thank you Mrs. Cake, but I'm not looking for Pinkie at the moment. I would like a blueberry muffin, and..." She said as she looked at the different sweets on display, as she tried to decide on something for Spike "One of those crushed emerald cupcakes." She said with a smile at Mrs. Cake.

Mrs. Cake smiled, and took out a bag for the order. She used a set of tongs in her muzzle, to pick up the cupcake first, and placed it in the bag carefully before putting a sheet of wax paper over. After she did that she got the muffin out, and put it in the bag careful not to mush the frosting on the cupcake. "There you go deary." Mrs Cake said, as she put the bag on the counter for Twilight.

"Thank you Mrs. Cake," Twilight said, as she placed the money on the counter, and used her magic to put the bag of treats in her saddle bag. She made her way to a park bench, where she took a seat and took out her muffin to nibble on it.

She sat quietly, as she ate her muffin. She was trying to figure out what happened with the experiment, when she saw the Cutie Mark Crusaders go by, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle sitting in a wagon as Scootaloo pulled them with her scooter.

I wonder what the Crusaders are going to do to find their cutie marks this time? Even though my friends and I have given them clues on how to find their special talent. But then, foals will sometimes think they know more than their seniors in life. They're focusing too hard on achieving the end result, and not on the journey to get there. But there's not much we can do, if they're not willing to heed the sage wisdom of the ancients.

She finished her muffin as she watched the three fillies go down the road in the direction of Carousel Boutique before getting up.

She started to make her way back to the library at a slow trot, enjoying the feel of the sun on her. She looked over at Sugar Cube Corner as she moved by and thought about going in to see if Pinkie Pie was back yet. The happy pink pony was good at raising people's spirits. She changed her mind as she went by though, and reminded herself It was just a bad dream, nothing more than that.

"Spike, I'm home! I got you something," She called out, as she came into the library, and looked around, removing her saddlebags, as she returned them to where she always kept them. She used her magic to open one of the pouches, and took out the bag from Sugar Cube Corner.

Spike came down stairs from the bedroom with a smile. "Really Twilight? You got me something?" He asked, as he went over to Twilight, and looked up at her. Twilight smiled back at him, and nods as she floated the bag over to him, so he could take it.

He opens the bag, and looks inside. "Oh wow, thank you so much Twilight,” he exclaimed, as he took out the cupcake, and looked at the sparkling emerald mixed into the frosting. He licked his lips, and took a bite of the cupcake. "Mmm, this is so good," he said, with a content smile on his face.

She smiled at Spike while he enjoyed the cupcake "You're welcome Spike," she replied as she moved to her desk and put away the quills she had bought. She was just about to get started on some research, when she heard a knock at the door. "Who could that be?" She wondered to herself, while she moved to her hooves, and went to the door as Spiked answered it.

"Oh, hello Spike, is Twilight here?" Came a soft voice. Twilight recognized it as her friend Fluttershy.

"Heya Fluttershy, come on in." Spike said, with a smile, and moved, so Fluttershy could come inside. "Twilight is right here." He said, as he looked over to Twilight.

"Hi Fluttershy, what brings you into town today?" Twilight asked with a friendly smile, Fluttershy hardly ever left her cottage or her animals unless it was important. "Do you need help with something, or a book?"

"Hello Twilight, well... Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle are having another sleepover at my place. I was wondering... if it's not too much trouble that is... If I could borrow a book to keep them entertained?" Fluttershy asked in her soft, timid voice. She normally used it when she didn't want bother any pony.

Twilight just smiled and nodded at Fluttershy "Sure Fluttershy, I think I have the perfect thing," Twilight answered, as she went over to shelf and started to look over the books. She took one down and checked the title to be sure it was the right one. "Here we are, Slumber 101: All you ever wanted know about slumber parties, but were afraid to ask." She said, as she looked over at Fluttershy. "Is Rarity too busy to host the sleep over again?" She inquired, as she brought the book over.

"Yes, she got a big order from Canterlot at the last minute." Fluttershy answered, as she put the book in her saddle bag. "I wasn't sure if I should handle the sleepover after what happened last time, but they are good kids. I just hope things go smoother this time."

"I'm sure they will, Fluttershy. That book should have plenty of suggestions to keep them from getting bored, I just hope it goes better than my sleepover with Applejack and Rarity." Twilight said with a smile. "Do you want to stay for tea?" She asked Fluttershy, but Fluttershy simply shook her head no.

"I really should go and get everything ready before the fillies show up." Fluttershy said, with a smile. "But thank you for the offer, and the book, I'll be sure to bring it back when I'm done. I’ll let you know how things went." She added as she and Twilight walked to the door and Twilight used her magic to open the door for her.

"Your welcome Fluttershy, have fun with the fillies." Twilight replied as Fluttershy headed out of the door with a smile, and started to walk back to her cottage near the Everfree Forest. Twilight watched Fluttershy for a few moments, before she closed the door. "I sure hope they don't cause Fluttershy too much trouble." Twilight said to herself with a sigh, before she walked back to her desk.

Day 2

Night

Twilight spent the rest of the afternoon and most of that evening studying and in deep thought. The library was normally pretty quiet, only the occasional pony came for a book, and Spike was able to handle that most of the time. But of course, if she was needed, she stopped to answer questions or give advice, but that was pretty rare in a small town like Ponyville.

“Twilight, what do you want for dinner?” Spike inquired.

“I don’t want anything, I’m not hungry.” Twilight answered him dismissively.

"Come on Twilight, you have to eat something, you need to take a break." he insisted, arms crossed, as he looked up at her.

Twilight sighed, and nods at Spike, "Alright Spike, if you insist. I'll have a dandelion and daisy sandwich, hay fries, and my usual tea." Twilight answered him as she moved away from the desk and followed Spike into the kitchen to have dinner. Spike was her assistant, so sometimes he knew what was best for her. Even if she didn't always like to admit it.

Dinner went by quietly, and she left Spike to finish the dishes, as she went back to her desk to study. Soon though, she had started to doze off at her desk, and shook her head to clear it. She looked around and blinked a few times before she looked out the window. "Oh my, it got dark fast." she mused to herself, as she got up and turned off the lights. Spike had already gone to bed and she hadn't even noticed. She made her way up the stairs and got into her bed with a yawn, as she climbed under the covers and closed her eyes. She went to sleep pretty quickly, the near-sleepless night before had caught up with her.


Twilight got Spike to the hospital quickly, and the doctors did their best to save him, but a piece of crystal had embedded itself deep in his chest and couldn't be removed. When they tried to use magic to remove the crystal, it reacted with the magic and preventing the spell from working. Spike died soon after that.

While the doctors were in with Spike, one of them treated Twilight’s injuries she had gotten from the explosion as well, removing the pieces of crystals stuck in her side and flank and bandaging up the cuts she sustained.

After treating her wounds she went to go check on Spike, the royal guard had been sent to Ponyville to inspect the explosion and fire in the library. They had arrived shortly before Spike’s death.

She had already been on edge, and when she found out he died, she panicked. She fired a magic blast at the guards and started to run, the logical part of her brain shutting down. The guards quickly gave chase, to try and stop her. She did her best to keep away from her armored pursuers, but she was emotionally drained because of Spike's death, and magically drained from the experiment. She galloped as hard as she could though, moving through the streets of Ponyville.

"No... This can't be happening, it was an accident." Twilight cried frantically, as she ran down the streets of Ponyville. On her trail was the royal guard. A couple of unicorns on the ground ran after her, their horns flared with magic while a couple of pegasi flew overhead. She gasped as bolts of magic missed her, flying past in multi-hued bolts of luminous magic as the guards missed hitting their target.

She glanced back and saw the unicorn guards behind her, horns glowing with magic as they prepared to unleash another volley. The pegasi overhead dive-bombed her, causing her to look around for cover.

"Why is this happening?!" She yelled out, as she darted into an alley to try and lose the guard that chased after her and recover some of her magic. But it wouldn't last for too long, the pegasi would have trouble, but the unicorns could easily follow her. She saw the guard begin searching the alley and started to run again, while she focused on her magic. She teleported herself back to the library, and her eyes went wide when she saw her new surroundings.

She was greeted with the horrible sight of the library's current state. There was a big hole in the floor from the blast. The old tree groaned a bit from a gentle breeze outside. Her books were scattered around, a few burned. Tears rolled down her cheeks. She hadn't been back since the accident, and was now noticing all the damage to her home. She backed up and turned, opening the door, and came face to face with one of the unicorn royal guard.

She stared at the guard as his horn started to glow. "Surrender yourself Twilight Sparkle," the guard demanded, his horn glowing brightly, and ready to fire a spell if she resisted or used her magic. But with the logical side of her mind not in control, panic taking hold of her, she didn't listen. She prepared to use a spell, only to feel the impact of the guard's magic hit her and knock her to the ground.


She woke up with a loud gasp and sat bolt upright in bed, bathed in a cold sweat. She shook in fear, her eyes wide, and darted around to make sure she was still in her room. She breathed in quick, fast breaths. "Ev- everything... everything is fine..." She muttered softly to herself.

"Everything, is fine." She repeated, as she tried to reassure herself and calm down. She pulled the covers over her head with a soft whimper, hiding herself like a foal from a monster in the bedroom. A small part of her logical mind knew it was just a dream, but at the moment that didn't help, she shivered under her covers quietly.

Author's Note:

Chapter Revision edit by AuthorGenesis