• Published 16th Jan 2013
  • 7,231 Views, 53 Comments

Twilight's Sleepless Nights - L_Wolf



Twilight tries to perform an experiment that goes wrong and she starts to have bad dreams about what could have happen.

  • ...
6
 53
 7,231

The Accident (Revised V2)

Day 1

Morning

It was a new day, and Twilight Sparkle was just getting up. She was excited, since today she was going to start her new experiment, for which she had gotten everything ready the night before. She trotted down the stairs to the library, and into the kitchen to have a quick breakfast. Simple grain toast, and a cup of her favorite tea.

"Twilight!" Spike yelled, as he came running into the kitchen, as Twilight was finishing her toast. He was out of breath, looking up at her. After catching his breath he apologized, "I'm sorry I wasn't up to make breakfast."

Twilight just smiled at her faithful assistant, and shook her head, "It's okay Spike. I got up early, and didn't want to wake you," she answered, and used her magic to put the dishes away. "Are you ready to get the day started?"

"Come on Twilight, you know me. Always ready to start the day." He answered with a cheesy smile, before his stomach rumbled, and he blushed "Uh, after some breakfast of course." He said, as he went to where he kept his stash of gems, and got a couple.

"Oh Spike," Twilight just smiled, and rolled her eyes with a shake of her head, leaving the baby dragon to his gems, before going back to the library's main hall. She wanted to do some work, and get some studying done before starting the experiment. Being the librarian of the Golden Oaks Library in Ponyville meant helping other ponies that came in for books, and those who solicited her attention to seek her advice and extensive knowledge.

Spike came out of the kitchen sucking on a claw, having finished his breakfast. He noticed that Twilight was busy cataloging some books she had gotten, so he started to work on his own chores for the day. Mostly he made sure the library was kept clean, and Twilight had plenty of supplies. He was also always prepared with a quill and scroll if Twilight needed to make a list or take down notes.

Day 1

Afternoon

The morning passed quickly, and soon it was afternoon. Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Fluttershy stopped by to join her for lunch, always enjoying spending time with each other. Spike prepared them a nice lunch of daisies, and leafy green salad, sliced apple and some fresh bread. Applejack had brought some fresh apple juice, as well.

During lunch, Rainbow Dash explained, in a rather animated fashion, a new trick she had done, which resulted in knocking Applejack's hat off her head. "Oops, sorry ‘bout that AJ." Rainbow Dash said sheepishly, as Applejack put her hat back on. Twilight, and Fluttershy both smiled and giggled. After a moment, Applejack started to laugh as well.

"Ah shucks Rainbow, it's fine, just be more careful ya hear?" Applejack replied, to which Rainbow Dash nodded in agreement, and smiled. Soon after that, lunch was finished, and Twilight's friends left to continue their day, Fluttershy offered to help clean up, but Twilight politely declined.

Twilight helped Spike with cleaning up after lunch, wanting to get it done quickly so they could start on the experiment. With the two of them, it didn't take to long to get everything put away, cleaned and left to dry. Satisfied that everything was done, Twilight smiled. "Alright Spike, let's get to that experiment." Twilight announced, as she looked over at Spike. Spike nodded in response, and smiled.

Twilight, and Spike headed down the stairs to the basement, where the lab was set up. She used her magic to light a few lanterns, and went to work with Spike assisting her when needed. They had done experiments before, and he knew what to do. The experiment Twilight was working on was to find a way to store books in crystals, to make it easier to carry a bunch of them at one time.

The experiment itself was going good, but they hadn't made any progress. Twilight brought out a new crystal to work with. The old one had burned out, and wasn't usable anymore, it looked dull and gray. Even Spike refused to eat them after tasting one. Twilight was starting to get frustrated with the lack of progress, she sighed, and brought a new crystal over from her supply, and placed it on the pedestal.

She started to focus her magic on the crystal, and transcribed the book into it. It seemed as if everything was working. The words in the book started to copy off from the pages and get stored in the crystal like it was suppose to. But then, the glow of the crystal began to die, though it had retained the steady constant glow during the initial start of the transcription process. In a fit of frustration she pushed a little more power into the spell than was needed, and the crystal exploded, and fragments flew all over the room. The book flew over, and hit Spike in the side of the head.

"Spike! Spike! Are you okay!?" Twilight yelled, and rushed over, and checked on him, he laid still for a moment, and Twilight feared the worse. "Spike! Please wake up!" She cried, nudging him with her hoof, and Spike stirred opening his eyes, and sat up rubbing the side of his head.

"Twilight? What happened? It feels like I got hit by a Manticore's tail." Spike moaned as he stood up blinking. "Good thing we dragons are made from tougher stuff." He added, with a smug grin.

Twilight just smiled at the baby dragon and shook her head with a sigh "There was an accident with the experiment, and the crystal exploded, the book flew over, and hit you in the head." She apologized with a sheepish look. "Let's stop for now. I'm getting hungry, it has to be dinner time by now, anyways." She sighed, as she used her magic to put Spike on her back, and made her way up the stairs, putting out the lanterns, after she walked passed them.

"That sounds great Twilight, I could use something to eat." Spike agreed with another grin, as he rode on Twilight's back as they ascended the stairs to the library. He had a bit of a headache from the hit to the head from the book, but that wasn't about to stop him from having something to eat. "I could really go for some amethyst right about now," he added, as Twilight used her magic to close the door.

Day 1

Evening

After dinner, Twilight spent time studying her books to try to figure out why the experiment hadn't worked. Not coming out with an answer just made her more frustrated, her mane was a mess, and stray hairs stuck up in random spots. "I just don't get why it didn't work," She groaned, as she paced around trying to figure out why her spell hadn't worked. "I'm using the right crystals," she groaned, with a stomp of her hoof.

"You're thinking too much about it Twilight," Spike offered, as he watched her pace around the main lobby of the library. She gave him a flustered look, and he shrank back a bit "I'm just saying, maybe you should sleep on it." He added, while he fidgeted with his tail nervously. He had seen her like this before, and it never lead to anything good.

Twilight sighed softly with a shake of her head. "Maybe you're right Spike." She sighed, as she looked out the window seeing how late it had gotten "Maybe after a good night sleep I'll think more clearly." She started to head up the stairs to her room, and sat at the window, to look out at the town. It was a nice night. Clear, the weather team had done a good job again.

Spike followed Twilight to the bedroom, and went to his bed. He looked over at Twilight, as she sat at the window. He shook his head, as he pulled the covers over himself and got comfortable. "Good night Twilight." he said. He hoped she would take the hint that he wanted to get some sleep.

"Good night Spike." Twilight said in return. She did get the hint, as she used her magic to turn out the lights. But she didn't go to bed right away. She sat at the window a while longer to look out at the clear sky, and at the stars twinkle up in the sky. She loved nights like this. It put her at ease, but it didn't help her solve the problem she was having.

She went over to her bed, and got in under the covers, and closed her eyes. She thought about the day, as she started to doze off, her mind going over the experiment she had ran. Something still nagged at her, in the back of her mind, but she couldn't put her hoof on what it was.


As the book stopped merging with the crystal, she pushed way too much power into it and the crystal started to hum, and pulse violently. Twilight's eyes went wide, and she backed up, bolts of energy came off the crystal, and one struck the box of crystals nearby, which she had set aside for the experiment. The crystals flew over, and started to orbit the pulsing one in the center of the room.

All the crystals started to pulse, and hum, as they drew in magic from the room. Spike stood on the other side of the room, staring wide-eyed at Twilight. "T.. Twilight! Do something!" He called to her, over the sound of the crystals, the hum was getting louder by the minute.

"I.. I don't know what to do!" Twilight called back to him, her eyes wide, as the crystals started to pulse faster. She tried to teleport over to Spike, but got thrown back against the wall, by the field of magic in the lab. Spike was trapped in a small alcove, unable to get over to her, or to the stairs to escape past the quickly spinning crystals.

"Twilight!" Spike yelled over to her, as she hit the wall. He rushed over to her, but a crystals hit him hard, and threw him back into the same alcove he had been cowering in earlier. The sharp edge of the crystal created a nasty gash across his chest, and the impact had left him knocked out.

Twilight had gotten up just in time, to see him get thrown back. Her eyes went wide, seeing the blood. "Spike! No!" She gritted her teeth, and her horn started to glow brightly. She started to sweat under the strain, as she worked her magic into a strong magical burst.

The result was not what Twilight had expected. The crystals drew in the energy, and started to shake, and hum violently. She didn't have a choice now, she closed her eyes and focused, putting up the strongest force field she could with the magic she had left, she could feel the energy of the force field start to get pulled away.

The crystals were already unstable from the huge amount of magic they absorbed from the magical blast, and the extra energy they drew from the field was too much, causing the crystals to explode violently, shards flying all over and bury themselves deep into the walls of the lab. The blast also blew the roof out of the basement lab, and knocked over the lanterns, catching the walls on fire.

The weak force field held up, but a few of the small shards managed to make it through the blast from the crystals. She felt small shard cut across her back, and legs, a couple of larger pieces buried themselves into her right side, and haunch. But she was lucky the force field protected her enough to keep them from going too deep into her.

Ignoring the pain she felt, she rushed over to where Spike was, the force of the blast had buried him, she used her magic to quickly uncover him, and put him on her back. "Hang on Spike, I'm going to get you some help, I promise." Twilight said, and made her way up what was left of the stairs and out of the library. She ran as fast she as could, to Ponyville General Care, in her panic, she didn't even care about the fire that had broken out in the library.


Twilight sat up in a cold sweat looking around, her mane matted to her face. She saw Spike still sound asleep in his bed. She got out of her own, and went over to check on him. But he was fine. As he said, dragons are made of tougher stuff. She sighed softly, and smiled in relief that he was okay.

She trotted down the stairs to the kitchen, and made herself some tea. She wasn't sure if she'd be able to get back to sleep after a dream like that. She closed her eyes as she took a sip of the tea. The scent of burnt wood in her nose made her frown. "Why did I dream something like that?" She asked herself, as she took another drink of tea, sighing. "This is going to be a long night," she muttered softly to herself, as she felt a few tears roll down her cheeks.

Author's Note:

Chapter Revision Edits by AuthorGenesis

Thanks to Hero541 for suggesting a much needed revision. Check out his Youtube readings, and his stories here on Fimfiction.

Hero541 on Youtube
Hero541 on Fimfiction