• Published 12th Jan 2013
  • 3,006 Views, 52 Comments

Doctor Whooves Episode 3: Aliens Among Us - Doctor Perseus



The Doctor and Twilight arrive on the planet of Eugora in 1899 and come across an army base in need of a doctor as well as two enemies that have dark goals in mind.

  • ...
4
 52
 3,006

Thy Friend is Thy Enemy

Chapter 3: Thy Friend is Thy Enemy

Laboratory Building, Fort Rice, The Forest of Shadows, Eugora, Autumn, 1899 C.E.

The Doctor and Dr. Reed worked together to cover Davis's corpse, clean up the blood, and put it all in a nearby closet to make the room more sanitary. Everypony was now extremely anxious and tense. Any one of them could be the creature. It was a horrible feeling to not be able to trust anypony other than yourself. Once the horrific mess had been cleaned up, the Doctor wiped himself off and sat down next to Twilight.

"Doctor," she breathed. "Do you...do you think that I'm the creature?"

"As much as I believe everypony else is," he replied. "Remember, Twilight. I could be the creature too."

"I refuse to believe that. If you were the creature then that would mean that you were dead. I wouldn't be able to take it."

The Doctor looked into her eyes and knew it. If there was one thing he was positive about it was that Twilight was not the creature. He didn't know why he believed in her over the others. Maybe it was just the way her eyes looked. Then again, the creature could be using Twilight's likeability to its advantage. The Doctor turned away and stood up.

"So how are we supposed to go about weeding out this creature, Doctor Smith?" asked the Colonel.

"Do you really want to know that, Colonel?" asked the Doctor.

"Are you trying to imply something?!"

"I think it's best that we each assume that everypony here is the creature."

"Then how are we supposed to get anything done when we can't trust each other?" asked Florence.

"I think the best way to try and weed out the creature is with the Cure. It's obvious that this creature can't stand strong sonic waves. Fixing this machine would be a start."

"I'll help you," said Dr. Reed.

"Why so eager to help him?" asked Everglade. "How do we know that you're not the creature trying to sabotage the Cure?!"

"It's my machine! I know it better than anypony here!"

"You were the last pony to touch the creature! Maybe it went inside you!" snapped Cornflower.

"What about you, Everglade?! You were the first pony to point your hoof as somepony! What if you're the creature?!"

"What about the Colonel?!" asked Roxanne.

"What?! How dare you!" snapped the Colonel.

"You were holding Davis's corpse and had his blood all over you! The creature might have been drawn to you!"

"And what about you, Roxanne?!" snapped Vincent. "You were dating Davis! Maybe the creature was drawn to you because of that!"

"ENOUGH!" yelled the Doctor. "We're not going to get anywhere by yelling at each other and pointing hooves! We need to try and make progress!"

"But you were the one who just said that we should assume that everypony's the creature!" snapped Nimble.

"Yes! But listen! The creature obviously doesn't want this machine up and running again! We can all pitch in to try and fix it. Eventually we should spot one pony in this group acting suspiciously. This pony will probably try to destroy the Cure even more or sabotage our attempts to fix it. We can then find out just who's playing host to our unwanted guest."

"I'm with Doctor Smith on this one," said Twilight.

"Pretty quick to choose sides, Judith Springs," said Florence. The Doctor glared at Florence and the mare fell silent.

"Alright," said the Doctor. "Let's get to work."

Front Gates, Fort Rice, The Forest of Shadows, Eugora, Autumn, 1899 C.E.

The Flack Twins, Jason (an alicorn) and Jordan (an earth pony), were in the middle of their work shift, which included guarding the front gates. Jason didn't mind guarding the gates but it creeped Jordan out to face the dark forest for a good two hours straight.

"Could you make your horn a little bit brighter?" Jordan asked.

"Again?" asked a somewhat annoyed Jason. "Alright. Only for you, Jordan."

Jason's already bright horn instantly began emitting a brighter light, expanding their circle of vision by a few more feet.

"That's better," said Jordan.

"What's with you and the dark?" asked Jason.

"It just gives me the creeps."

"Good thing you got a job at a fort located in the Forest of Shadows. That was real smart of you."

"The other forts were filled to the brim with enough soldiers."

"Whatever. You should really start-"

Jason fell silent. Jordan turned towards his brother to see that he was staring at something. Jordan turned to where Jason was looking to see a statue, standing just on the barrier of their line of vision.

"Was there a statue there before?" asked Jordan.

"No," croaked Jason. The statue was that of something the twins had never seen before. It had wings like a pegasus but it wore a long dress, stood on its hind legs, and had its two upper appendages covering its face. "So...what type of statue is it?"

"No idea," Jordan replied. The two brothers turned towards each other for a couple seconds and then looked back. They jumped in horror. The statue had moved. It was now at least ten feet closer and had its arms stretched out. It's face resembled that of a vicious monster. Its eyes were open and they had no pupils, its open mouth was full of sharp teeth, its wings were outstretched, and its claws were mangled and sharp. "How did it just move?!"

"Statues don't move!"

"Well apparently this one can!"

Jason hiccuped and his light went out for a second. The light came back on and the statue was even closer now.

"Don't do that!" Jordan snapped.

"I'm sorry," said Jason. "I get hiccups when I'm frightened!"

There was another hiccup and the light flickered again. The statue was closer. Another hiccup, the light flickered, the statue was even closer, it's face was beginning to show a horrible sadistic smile.

"Try and control those hiccups!"

"I...I can't!"

A hiccup followed, the light flickered, and the statue was only about seven feet from them now. Another hiccup, the light flickered, and now the statue was only three feet away.

"Open up!" cried Jordan as he pounded on the gate. Jason refused to take his eyes off of the statue. It's face was now formed into a horrifying smile. Another hiccup was coming. He could feel it. He tried to hold it in. But he couldn't. "Open up! This statue's going to kill us!"

The hiccup came and the light flickered. Two fellow guards raced towards the gate. By the time they reached it, there was nopony there. No sign of the twins and no sign of any statue.

Laboratory Building, Fort Rice, The Forest of Shadows, Eugora, Autumn, 1899 C.E.

Everypony was busy working on fixing the Cure. Sure everypony was still suspicious of one another but at least they had something to do to keep their minds off the fact that one of them was a living puppet. However, it was mainly the Doctor and Dr. Reed who did any major repairs for the Cure. The others mainly collected broken parts and gave them to the Doctor to mend. Twilight sat down a few feet away and groaned silently. She looked over at the spot where Davis's corpse had been. She could still remember his head popping off and that...that thing crawling out of the body. This was too much for her. She nearly lost her dinner but she held it in.

"You alright?" asked Jean as she sat down next to Twilight.

"To be honest...no," replied Twilight.

"Me neither. I just can't believe that we've lost not only Davis but another person in this room to some alien monster."

"Were you close to him?"

"Davis? Not really. We were more along the lines of co-workers. But that still doesn't make it any less horrible for him to now be dead."

"Yeah. So...you were the first pony here to get sick?"

"Yes. I can still remember it. It was around...two weeks ago. I was working in a lab across the hallway when I suddenly felt extremely woozy."

"Did you come in contact with something odd?"

"No. I wasn't even working with chemicals or examining alien plants. I was just writing down some notes."

"That's it? You were just writing down notes?"

"Yeah. It was so strange. But at least I'm better now. That machine definitely deserves to be called the Cure. I've been physically miserable for two weeks so I'm glad that I've finally been healed."

Twilight looked over Jean to see that Everglade was giving Nimble a hard time. Vincent broke them up and Everglade skulked away to the other side of the room.

"Everglade sure seems tense," said Twilight.

"It makes sense. We're really good friends. We even dated a little while before traveling to Eugora," said Jean.

"Really? Makes perfect sense now."

"Yeah."

Jean then chuckled calmly and faced Twilight. Twilight looked back at Jean and suddenly shivered.

"Is there something wrong?" asked Jean. Twilight coughed a bit and turned away from the healed unicorn.

"No...I'm...I'm fine," she replied. Jean shrugged her shoulders, patted Twilight on the back, and walked over to Everglade. Twilight stood up and walked over to where the Doctor was. The Doctor was talking to the Colonel.

"I still don't understand how this creature infiltrated the fort," said the Colonel.

"Why is it such a surprise?" asked the Doctor.

"Because we have a protective barrier around the fort. Any type of alien creature native to this planet can't get through it."

"I didn't see any barrier before," said Twilight.

"That's because it's invisible."

"Okay! That's enough!" stated Dr. Reed. Everypony stepped back from the machine. "We've been able to mend it to the best of our abilities. Now let's see who's the puppet."

Dr. Reed flipped the switch and the machine began to vibrate. The Doctor looked around to see if anypony was shaking. Nopony was. The Cure then gave three heaves of smoke and died.

"Damn it!" snapped the Colonel.

"I was so sure that it would work!" said Dr. Reed. He then proceeded to examine the machine. "Ah! That's the problem! We have a knob missing!"

Everypony began looking around the room.

"So," said the Doctor loudly. "If we find the knob then we find the puppet."

Everypony began looking at each other. Twilight stepped to the left and bumped into Florence.

"Sorry," she said.

"No problem," said Florence. "I-" Twilight felt something fall out of her hair and heard it hit the ground. The two mares looked down to see a little green knob laying on the floor. Twilight and Florence looked at each other and their eyes met. Twilight shook her head but it was to no avail. "She's the creature! She had the knob hidden in her hair!"

"But I'm not! I'm not the creature!" Twilight pleaded.

"Then why was the knob in your hair?!" asked Roxanne.

"I don't know how it got there! I swear to Celestia that I'm not the creature!"

"No," breathed the Doctor. Twilight looked at the Doctor. He...he was starting to believe the others.

"Doctor! You can't think it! I'm not dead! I'm not a puppet!"

"Grab her!" yelled Everglade. Vincent and Nimble grabbed Twilight and pinned her against the wall. Everypony had their eyes on her now.

"I'm going to make you pay for killing Davis!" snapped Roxanne as she punched Twilight in the stomach. Twilight turned to the Doctor and saw him beginning to shake his head. A tear was forming in one of his eyes. This was it. If the Doctor didn't believe her then nopony would. She looked in the angry eyes of each pony there. Then she looked in the back. There was Jean, hiding away from the view of everypony else, smiling like a foal who just got a box of chocolates. Then she noticed the eyes. Jean's eyes were different from the others'. They were somewhat sunken in, darker, and cloudier. Jean had patted her on the back. That would have given her the perfect opportunity to hide the knob in Twilight's hair. She was it. Jean was the creature!

"It's her!" Twilight cried. "It's Jean! She's the creature!"

Everypony turned back to Jean who acted hurt and betrayed.

"Don't listen to her! She's telling lies! Make her stop! Make her stop!" cried Jean. She fell into Everglade's arms and both Cornflower and Roxanne punched Twilight.

"Look at her eyes! They're cloudy! They're the same as Davis's!" cried Twilight.

"Stop trying to save yourself by attempting to turn the blame on an innocent pony! Creatures like you make me sick!" ordered the Colonel.

"I'm telling the truth! Look at her eyes!"

"How dare you try to put the blame on me!" cried Jean, who was still in Everglade's arms. "You killed Davis and now you've gone and killed Twilight Sparkle! I-"

Jean choked. Everypony fell silent and turned towards Jean. The Doctor's eyes widened.

"Twilight Sparkle?" asked Nimble. "I thought her name was Judith Springs."

"It isn't," said the Doctor. "That's just an alias I came up for her. Her real name is Twilight Sparkle and I'm the Doctor."

"I knew that I'd seen you somewhere before!" said Florence.

"Jean," croaked Everglade. "How did you know that she was Twilight Sparkle?"

Jean sighed and smiled.

"Because I also have the ability to know somepony's name from the first second I see them," replied Jean. Before anypony could react, Jean grabbed a hold of Everglade's head and snapped his neck. Everglade groaned and fell to the ground as the life drained out of him.

"Somepony grab her!" ordered Dr. Reed. Vincent and Nimble let Twilight go and jumped at the possessed Jean. She ran to the door and smashed it open. She then grabbed the attacking pony and griffin and threw them into the wall. Before running out of the door, Jean turned back and faced the Doctor.

"The rest of my kind shall be in this fort soon, and, Doctor, the angel is coming for you," she cackled. The Doctor's face fell as Jean ran through the open doorway.

"Get her!" ordered the Colonel. The Colonel, Dr. Reed, Cornflower, Roxanne, and Nimble chased after Jean the puppet, leaving the Doctor, Twilight, Florence, and Vincent alone in the room.

"Doctor," choked Twilight. "What did it mean by the angel is coming for you?"

The Doctor turned to face Twilight, Florence, and Vincent.

"It means that...we have more to worry about than a body-swapping spider," he choked.