• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 1,457 Views, 38 Comments

Dragon Chronicles - Aether Spark



Rainbow Blitz turns ponies into dragons.

  • ...
18
 38
 1,457

Questions, answered. A new pack, formed. A new journey has begun.

In Canterlot, Solaris was looking over some agricultural reports when a letter appeared in front of him. He regarded it for a moment. It wasn’t a scroll like usual, so this made him curious, using his magic he lifted it and opened it, expecting it to be a friendship report, but what he read caused his eyes to widen.

"Artemis!!" Solaris called out, and through the door, Artemis came barging in moments later.

"What is it, brother?" Artemis said knowing Solaris only calls in that tone when there is a very serious problem like Eris escaping or Changelings, or worse! The cake reserves have run dry!

"We are going to Ponyville," Solaris said, his tone serious.

Artemis stared at his older brother in confusion.

"Why, brother? Is something wrong?" Artemis asked

"Yes, Rainbow Blitz found your creation," Solaris said, Artemis’s eyes widened in fear.

"You don't mean he has found-" Artemis began.

"Yes, he found the Dragon Potion," Solaris finished grimly.

---later---

Solaris and Artemis arrived at Ponyville, with a hoof-full of guards, to find Rainbow Blitz, his friends, and the recipe.

The first place they searched was Rainbow Blitz’s house, where they found the roof was torn off, a pot with the potion, and the book with the recipe.

“This does not bode well…” Artemis said, when Artemis's eyes saw the recipe, all the memories he kept locked broke out.

Artemis, plus some other unicorns, created the potion as a way to defeat Eris, as it turned out that dragons were immune to nearly every type of magic that effects ponies. But they made a fatal mistake; the potion was painful to the ponies; in fact, some of them even died from the pain.

They also began to think like dragons and even altered their very names to suit their new alignment, and they could spread it to other ponies via saliva contact and were driven to do so by the mental alterations. It began spreading like a virus, but thankfully, those who were changed into dragons by the ones who drank the potions, could not change others, so that was one reprieve, but the situation quickly evolved into an epidemic regardless.

Soon Solaris and Artemis saw that the ponies were all being gradually turned into dragons, and the pony population was decreasing while the number of dragons grew, and of course, Eris took advantage of this to spread more chaos while the Princes were distracted.

Eventually, the two Princes had no choice but to make an antidote and banish all those who refused to take it to the dragon lands. Then Solaris ordered that all recipes were to be burned. But it seemed that they missed one.

"Arty, are you okay?" Solaris asked, noticing that Artemis was staring into space with a horror-stricken expression.

"Sorry Solly, I was only thinking of what I've done… my mistake that nearly destroyed Equestria many years ago... that tore so many families apart... has come back to haunt us…" Artemis said with dread evident in his voice.

"No, Artemis, you didn't know that this would happen, you shouldn't blame yourself," Solaris reassured his younger brother, who shook his head.

“We should have been more careful! We caused this! And by now who knows how many ponies have been turned by him! Twas, our carelessness dear brother that made that accursed potion! The fault is ours…” Artemis sulked, and Solaris wrapped a wing around him in a brotherly hug.

“Nopony could have predicted the side effects of the potion Arty, we must not sit and sulk when we could be searching for answers,” Solaris said to comfort his brother when he heard a voice call out to him and he turned to see a Pegasus guard who flew to the Princes and bowed.

"My lords! We have searched all over Ponyville, it seems that the letter was right, the Elements of Harmony, three colts named Silver Bell, Scooteroll, and Applebuck, and a mare named Red Gala have not been seen for hours, Equestria may have just gained ten new dragons." the guard informed.

“Only ten?” Solaris said with a raised brow.

“Yes, and so far, no further disappearances have been reported,” the mare said with a nod.

"Hmm interesting; how are their families handling this?" Solaris asked.
The mare seemed hesitant to say, but she spoke anyway.

"The Bell family is in denial, the Cake family have closed down the bakery to be alone, Ponyvilles orphanage is saddened by the fact that Scooteroll is gone, and Grandpa Smith..." the guard stopped talking, as if afraid to say the next thing.

"What is it? What is wrong with him?" Artemis asked worriedly.

"Grandpa Smith is in critical condition, the news caused him to have a heart attack, and he is now in Ponyville Hospital, thankfully all of Ponyville is going to help on the farm until his grandchildren are retrieved," the guard said.

Solaris shook his head, he did not know that this would cause the old stallion to go to the hospital, but he was thankful that Ponyville decided to help on Sweet Apple Acres.

"Thank you, you may now leave," Solaris said politely, the guard bowed and flew off, leaving the two brothers alone once again.

“It’s worse than I thought…” Solaris mused “If my dear student has fallen prey to this then time is of the essence!” Solaris declared

"Solly, we should go and find the recipe for the antidote first, the sooner we have it, the quicker this problem will be solved" Artemis informed his brother.

"If we even still have it… It was lost when I cast Nightterror Knight away," Solaris said, his form sulked.

"Then we must find it, brother! we cannot run the risk of Rainbow Blitz turning any more ponies into dragons!" Artemis insisted

"Your right Artemis, let's get to the chariot, we must find the antidote as soon as possible," Solaris said, and with that, the two extended their wings and flew off back in the direction to their chariot.

***

Deep within the Everfree Forest, Zircon, Pyrite, Azurite, Opal, and Spines were all walking to where they would be meeting up with the rest of their friends.

"So… um Zircon, what are the names of our friends now?" Spines asked.

"Well Butterscotch is Lapis, Berry Bubble is Rowan, Applejack is Russet, Red Gala is Scarlet, Applebuck is Garnet, and Scooteroll is Quartz," Zircon answered, seeing that Spines was nodding.

Zircon turned to Azurite and Opal and saw Opal sleeping on his back. He turned his gaze to Pyrite, but regretted it, as Pyrite stared at him with intense fire in his eyes, Zircon still didn't know why Pyrite was so angry.

Spines was busy afterward staring at Azurite and Opal, Azurite looked amazing, his scales were sleek and smooth, his fangs a sparkling white, his face just as handsome and charming as it was before, his wings symmetrical, and his muscles were quite toned looking, so it gave his body a firm but not overbuilt appearance… just the right amount of muscle. Opal on the other claw was rather cute and friendly to the purple dragon, and he seemed to like her back, not to mention he was closer to her age. Spines was continually trying to stop staring at the two, but she couldn't.

Soon the five dragons got to the clearing, where all of Zircons friends were waiting, along with a mysterious black dragon. A familiar pink claw waved in the air as an equally pink drake bounced in place and shouted loud enough to be heard from very far away, startling Opal awake.

“HI ZIRCON! HI PYRITE! HI OPAL! HI AZURITE! HI, SPINES! HEY! HEY! SPINES WE’RE ALL DRAGONS NOW SO NOW WE’RE SPECIES BUDDIES AS WELL AS ACTUAL BUDDIES!! AND NOW WE CAN ALL EAT GEMS AND JOIN THE GREAT DRAGON MIGRATION AND SWIM IN LAVA AND BREATHE IN SPACE wait can dragons even do that? ANYWAYS, WE’RE GONNA HAVE SO MUCH FUN AND WE CAN EVEN-“ Rowan continued his loud rant, and Ebony covered her ears.

“Agh! Dude, shut it! Do you want to alert all of Equestria?!” Ebony scolded the hyperactive drake

Meanwhile, the group just paused at what they see and at what they heard.

“Umm… how did Rowan know our new names?” Opal said confused

“It’s probably just Berry being Ber-… well more like it’s Rowan being Rowan now isn’t it?” Azurite said amused before they all noticed the dragoness.

"Um, who’s that?" Zircon asked, pointing at the female dragon.

"That haystack, is Ebony, she helped save Lapis from a Hydra, and she also wants to have a word with you," Russet answered.

Ebony walked to Zircon, her red eyes meeting his more rose-colored eyes.

"Zircon, I heard that you have been turning ponies into dragons, and I am going to tell you this just once, stop it!" Ebony demanded.

Zircon flared his nostrils and narrowed his eyes, who was this dragon to say that he couldn't continue his goal of spreading this wonderful gift? But then he realized something, how did Ebony know?

"How did you know that I was turning ponies into dragons? And why should I stop?" Zircon growled

"I know because you and your friends still have Cutie Marks, and if you don't stop, the Princes will find out and most likely, they will try to stop you. And they won't ask twice." Ebony returned the growl despite having to tilt her head up a little to look Zircon in the eye

Zircon stared at Ebony in disbelief, then at his flank, and sure enough, he still had his Cutie Mark, he stared in shock for a moment before looking back at the dragoness and glaring.

"Look here, Ebony! I WILL keep doing this! It's so much better to be a dragon, instead of a pony! Now you better leave in the next 10 seconds or else I'll-" Zircon threatened, but then he paused as he noticed a new smell in the air, looking up he saw a squadron of Pegasus guards and a chariot with the Princes in it.

"Buck! The royal guards are here!? how did they find out?" Zircon asked, growling.

In the back, a purple baby dragon whistled innocently, sweating a little in nervousness. thankfully nodragon noticed

"Ah don't know, but we need to get out of here," Russet said quietly.

"Where are we gonna go?? hiding eight huge dragons and four smaller dragons isn't going to be easy." Quartz said loudly enough to be heard.

"O-oh no... what will they do if they find us??" Lapis shivered at the thought

Ebony cleared her throat to get their attention "Ok, listen up! I can help all of you out. I can lead you all to the Dragon Lands; I know the path to get there. It’s less dangerous and quicker if flown, but we can’t risk being in the open with the princes looking for us, we've got to stay hidden, so we're going on foot. Once you are there, Equestria cannot harm or pursue us, but I will only do this if Zircon promises one thing," Ebony said, all the dragons stared at her.

"And what's that?" Zircon asked.

"You won’t turn ponies into dragons along the way," Ebony replied

Zircon stared at her, then looked away to think. He wanted to spread the gift; it felt right to do so like he was doing these ponies a favor by doing it… but he also wanted to keep his friends safe… in the end, loyalty triumphed. After thinking for a minute, he turned back to Ebony and nodded.

"I promise, so long as we can get my friends to safety," Zircon said with a determined look.

"Good, now we must stay as a pack, to keep us safe, we need an Alpha Male and Female," Ebony said glancing about the drakes, and she turned her attention to Scarlet.

“Eenope,” she said offering no further input.

“Does this dragoness ever actually talk?” Ebony wondered before Azurite spoke up.

"You should be the Alpha Female since you know the way," Azurite pointed out, all the dragons nodded in agreement.

"Okay, and who’s going to be the Alpha Male?" Ebony asked

"I-I think it should be Zircon," Lapis said quietly but clearly, Zircon looked at him surprised.

"I second that thought!" Quartz called enthusiastically

“ME THREE!” Rowan said excitedly

"Ah agree" Russet nodded.

“Eeeyup!” Scarlet agreed

Zircon stared at his friends confused.

"Why me?" Zircon asked

"Well Zircon, ever since you turned us into dragons, you feel like a leader to us," Azurite explained.

“Not to mention since you were the element of Loyalty, you’d be the most trustworthy to lead us,” Lapis said with an assuring expression.

“Wow, thank you guys” Zircon smiled openly to his friends.

"Okay then, it’s all settled, follow me everydragon, it's going to be a long trip on foot," Ebony said, walking deeper into the forest, with Zircon beside her. Soon everydragon followed, ready for the adventure to their new home.




…but at the back, Pyrite glared at Zircon and growled menacingly.

“He… will… pay…” Pyrite snarled in his head

Author's Note:

Well, here we are at the end of the Story! :pinkiesad2:

But have no worries, there will be more where that came from! :pinkiehappy: Be awaiting the eventual sequel

”Dragon Chronicles: journey to the dragon lands” I got many things to take care of before I can begin it but I assure you all, it’s in the listing.

Just because this milestone has been reached however don’t think it’s the end.

That’s right, and I’ve got BONUS CONTENT! :pinkiegasp:

Comment and like if you want some bonus content involving a deleted scene, a teaser for the sequel, and even a hint on what my next project is. [after I'm done remastering “The day I lost my mind”]

I'm also taking suggestions, and story idea’s for when the next story comes out, all helpers will be mentioned and acknowledged.

I look forward to seeing your suggestions, till then, ciao! :raritywink: