• Published 11th Jan 2013
  • 1,440 Views, 38 Comments

Dragon Chronicles - Aether Spark



Rainbow Blitz turns ponies into dragons.

  • ...
18
 38
 1,440

Ebony

In the Everfree Forest, Lapis was lying down on the wet ground, waiting for Zircon and his other friends to show up.

“I hope they come soon, I don’t want to be here,” he whimpered, he may be a dragon now, but he still held his personality of when he was the Pegasus Butterscotch, so he was still scared of the forest like before.

Each time a branch cracked or an animal made a sound, Lapis would shiver and cover his eyes with his clawed hands, of course, because of his large body, most creatures stayed away from him. But it didn’t stop larger animals from attacking him, as he was about to find out.

Lapis’s head perked up when he heard thundering footsteps getting louder, he turned his head and stared at the direction of the sound, his body tense. Not knowing whether to fly or fight and to be honest flight sounded really good right now.

His hopes that it was Zircon were crushed when the creature came out of the tree line revealing a hydra. Its four heads were hissing and glaring at the drake. Since it has multiple heads, strength, and it could live in water, it was the only beast that could stand against a dragon, as it could watch in all directions for attacks, could hide in the muddy waters for a surprise attack, and it could easily overpower a dragon.

This hydra seems to know how dragons fight, because of its many scars and the blisters and burns from previous encounters with dragon fire, but it knew that it was lucky this time since the dragon in front of it was shaking in fear.

Lapis shook at the sight of the hydra; he had no idea what to do; he could only back away as the hydra got closer.

“P-please! D-don’t eat me! I’m just waiting for my friends that’s all…” Lapis said while trembling which just amused the hydra seeing the cowering drake.

He closed his eyes, expecting the worse when a deafening roar above caused him and the hydra to look for the source of the noise. Lapis saw an ebony colored dragoness dive right out of the sky and into the Hydra, after landing on all fours on top of the hydra the dragoness growled menacingly, baring her sharp teeth.

The hydra was confused at the sudden appearance of the black dragon, but it didn’t let it bother it as one of its heads shot forward and headbutted the dragoness in the stomach, causing the dragoness to stagger off the hydra, giving the hydra time to get up. The hydra and the dragoness where now having a stare down, to see who would attack first, but a loud roar caused them to look at the source, and what they saw were the scariest pair of eyes they have ever seen.

Lapis stared at the hydra and the dragoness, his mind an ocean of thoughts of what to do. One thought was quickly taking over and causing him to let loose a low growl in his throat, attack the hydra, and help the dragoness.

He gave off a terrifying roar, with his eyes going into “the stare,” the drake slowly walked up to the hydra, black smoke released through his jaw and nostrils. The dragoness had to struggle her eyes away from his as sudden fear gripped her.

The hydra was about to attack him, but then it caught sight of the terrifying stare and immediately began backing away in fright. It’s four heads trying to look elsewhere, but it couldn’t resist the power of his stare. His snout went against the hydra’s, and he spoke in a booming, yet chillingly calm voice. “You better leave right now, or I’ll help the dragon hurt you…”

Even though what Lapis said wasn’t that threatening, the way he stared at the hydra and how he spoke. It seemed that he was going to kill it in the most painful way possible. So, without a second thought, the hydra ran off into the forest whimpering, leaving the two dragons alone.

The ebony dragoness stared at the drake, surprised that he could scare a hydra just by staring at it; her eyes moved to the drake’s flank, and she gave a slight smirk. “Well, that was pretty impressive, for a pony that just became a dragon,”

Lapis stiffened, his eyes widened, and his body shook. “H-how did you know?” he asked, his voice shaky.

“Well unless those three butterflies on your flank is a birthmark, then you were once a pony,” the dragoness said smugly.

Lapis turned his head around to see if what the dragoness said was the truth, and lo and behold on his flank, was his Cutie Mark from when he was a pony.

“I-I thought the transformation got rid of it…” Lapis said, his voice shaking. This caused the black dragoness to be concerned.

“Why would you want to get rid of it? Isn’t it part of who you are?” she asked, she went in front of Lapis, to get a better look at him.

“But I’m a dragon now; I have no use for my talent. All the critters would be afraid of me anyways; it’d be better if it just vanished…” Lapis said glumly

The dragoness couldn’t believe what she was hearing, here was this dragon, who had a talent that no other could have, and he wanted to get rid of it? She opened her mouth to say something but was interrupted by the sudden shaking of the forest floor.

“Oh great, are more hydra’s coming?” the dragoness asked, she got into a defensive stance and flared her wings out, ready to attack, what she saw coming out of the forest instead were three dragons. An orange drake, a yellow baby dragon, and a massive red dragoness, her eyes continued to stare at the red one in shock, as this dragoness made her look puny in comparison.

“Sorry about scaring Y'all, we’re just here to find a friend of ours,” the orange drake said in a country accent, the red dragoness beside him just let out an “Eeyup” and proceeded to stay silent.

Lapis stared at the three newcomers with eyes wide in realization that the orange dragon was a friend of his.

“Applejack?... is that you?” Lapis said hopefully

“Eeyup it is, and ah assume you’re the dragon we were told to find?” Russet asked already able to tell which of his friends this was.

Lapis nodded with a warm smile “I’m glad you found me, and I see that Applebuck and Red Gala are with you,”

“Well Butterscotch, or should Ah say Lapis, we don’t go by those names anymore. Mah new name is Russet, my big sister is Scarlet, and my little brother here is Garnet,” Russet introduced himself and his family.

Garnet on the other claw noticed the black dragoness.

“Who are you?” Garnet said

“My name is Ebony, and if you are wondering why I am talking to your friend here, well he and I had a bit of trouble with a hydra,” Ebony explained, the three Apple Dragons jaws dropped at the news.

“You fought a hydra!? That is so cool!” Garnet yelled amazed. Ebony smiled at the baby dragon’s enthusiasm and shook her head.

“Well actually Lapis here stared it away, I guess his cutie mark represents how he can talk to animals,” Ebony explained.

Russets eyes widened. “Wait, Cutie Mark? But we don’t have Cutie Marks anymore… right?” Russet said confused

“Well sorry to say, but you do, so I guess you three were also once ponies?” Ebony asked the reaction she got was the two older dragons looking at their flank, and seeing their talents and a distraught baby dragon.

“Wait!... we can still have cutie marks?? That lair!” Garnet growled, and Scarlet immediately nuzzled the baby dragon to calm him.

“Ah don’t understand, Zircon never told us that we would keep our Cutie Marks,” Russet said flabbergasted.

“Zircon? Who’s Zircon?” Ebony asked, suspicious.

“Zircon’s a friend of ours, he was a Pegasus named Rainbow Blitz, but after drinking a potion, he turned into a dragon, and now he’s planning on turning all of Ponyville’s ponies into dragons,” Lapis explained, he immediately regretted it, when Ebony looked at them all like they were crazy.

“And you’re allowing this!? If word gets to Prince Solaris that Ponyville had suddenly lost its entire population, he will send a search team, and when he finds out that it was a dragon, well, you know what will happen then,” Ebony explained trying to stay calm.

The four ponies turned dragons were stunned; they didn't even think of that. Now they were in trouble.

“Don’t Y'all worry, ah think once he gets the last three of our friends, he will come to see if we’re are all right, then we can convince him to stop,” Russet pointed out.

Ebony just lowered her head. “I hope your right Russet, I hope your right…”

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late entry, I'm submitting this here right now in order to speed things along to the next TF. this is some filler to show how things are going with Lapis and him meeting up with his transformed friends.

also introducing the mysterious OC Ebony [my rule 63 counterpart to the originals Thorn]

Feel free to comment what you think of the story thus far

coming up next is the pink menace himself, Berry :pinkiehappy: