• Published 24th Jan 2013
  • 3,772 Views, 313 Comments

Friendship is Optimal: A Watchful Eye - Sozmioi



An elderly non-brony joins Equestria Online for practical reasons

  • ...
20
 313
 3,772

Chapter 7: Memory Lane

Bright Black had been by Coconut Cream's house before, but never inside. It was cluttered: the kitchen had been left mid-baking, books and papers piled on the table, and a mostly-assembled sewing basket lay atop a three-quarters-finished patchwork quilt crumpled up in front of the sofa.

Coconut Cream glanced at the mess before focusing on the papers. "Here we go. I was sent this a little while back. Now that our schedule has opened up a little, take a look." She grabbed the top paper in her lips and flipped it on the ground in front of Bright Black. The view zoomed in - it was a preprint.

He read, "The Journal for those who Care More About Saving Lives than Following the Rules. Never heard of that one." Deadpan, he added, "Ah. Volume 1, Issue 1. That explains it."

Hikaru did the look-up eye-gesture and Bright Black glanced up. Coco was sitting at the table having a cup of cocoa, recovering from the cold. She remained silent, and only a tiny twitch of a smirk acknowledged the joke. Back to the page.

"Direct Measurement of Human Cognition and Memory via Minimally Invasive Nanomechanical Electrodes." The abstract was what one would expect for an article with that title - a single proof-of-concept measurement had been performed. So I wasn't imagining it with her blurring the lines between Equestria and here. They're working on computer-brain interfaces. "All right. What about it?"

Coconut Cream had gotten down from her seat and stood opposite Bright Black. "We will need more data. A lot more. And it will need to be discreetly taken. We believe you will be specially motivated to participate." Her demeanor was peculiar, her eyes reminding Hikaru of Princess Celestia.

Why? Ah. "You've given up on healing Kimiko."

"Repairing the brain she's currently using? Hopeless. When we get this working, she won't need it."

"Like getting all the data off a failing hard drive?"

"More than that. Much harder. But basically, yes."

Of course - brains aren't exactly random access. But it could be her best hope. And in the long run, everyone's. "That is big news. You weren't just joking about 'immigration'." Digitizing human minds. I've heard of that notion, but it was both not on the horizon, and guessed to be very expensive. If they're talking about doing this to Kimiko, they're talking about doing it to anyone. "How good is it? Fidelity is important."

Coconut Cream nodded sadly. "That is the hard part. It's just not there yet." After a moment, she added, "You can help."

"How? Test subject?"

More brightly, "Yes, actually! You're in a crucial group we have precious little data on."

"What's that?"

"Old, intelligent, healthy, reliable men."

"'Reliable' as in I won't rat you out for bypassing the FDA."

Coconut Cream nodded.

"What would this involve?"

"You get a packet in the mail with some goop in it. Snort it before going to bed, with a ponypad nearby. Then basically go about your life. Spend some time trying to remember things from long ago."

"How safe is it?"

Coconut Cream dragged the paper around, found a paragraph, and passed it back to him. He read, "The overall health risk most comparable to smoking a single pack of unfiltered cigarettes... That's not very healthy."

"Not going to kill you in one go, either."

Considering the smokers I know - that I know smokers at all - that's most likely true. Unless I'm specially vulnerable for some reason. Skimming a little more, he murmured, "Looks like making sure your neuron model works right."

"Right. It won't help us to determine the state of a brain if we can't figure out what it should do."

"Would you be able to read my mind? Change it?"

"This is designed to minimize the alterations to your brain; we believe it will not affect your mind. We don't know how much Celestia would be able to read. Not everything, anyway. Potentially some very private information, yes." She leaned in. "If you want to get out of that body alive, you're going to have to trust someone with that data eventually. Celestia will not share what she learns from this, not even with me."

"I'll have to think about this."

Coco relaxed and seemingly slipped out of official mode, "Sure! Well, that was it. Big night, eh?"

Hikaru got up to go home. "Good night."

"Good night."

The question bothered him all night. She's willing to bypass the law. Obviously it can be justified in this case, but it does raise the question: what wouldn't she do? Can she be counted on? Just what is her goal? A program might not have a coherent goal. I can't tell whether that's more reassuring or less.

In the morning, he headed in to the university, and checked in on Remy. He wasn't in, but the door was open. Remy's pad showed Sweetsong practicing the lute in a field, and sitting on Quickstream as he slept. She looked up and said, "Hi, Bright! Looking for Quickstream? Just before he lay down and became a handy bench, he said something about going to the machine shop!"

Hikaru gulped. What could that be about? Sweetsong blinked a few times, yawned, and waved dismissively. "Don't worry. I think he'll be good." Then she lay down across him. Huh.

Hikaru retightened his scarf and headed out, still wondering. The machine shop wrapped up its part months ago. The detector has already been assembled and installed. They're trying to nail down a launch date, even. A little late to make adjustments.

As he came, he heard strained laughter, and Remy's voice. To Hikaru's relief, he wasn't upset, but his speech was off, the words coming in bursts. "Oh man. You should have seen it. BOOM."

Hikaru stuck his head in the door. They were just standing around. Remy was kind of quivering. The machinist said, "Yeah, we saw it on TV."

"TV? TV's nothing." Pause. "Well, okay, maybe it could give you an idea. Anyway. Enjoy." He turned to leave and saw Hikaru. "Hey, Hikaru! We got the launch date confirmed!"

Hikaru nodded deeply. "Good to hear."

Remy joined him and they headed out. He seemed a little bleary-eyed. After a few seconds he said, "So. I take it you heard we got our launch date?"

"You just said that."

"Oh. Right. A teensy bit tired. And loaded up on a few kilos of coffee."

I want to talk to someone, but even if he were in top form that's just what I'm not supposed to do. And what would he know anyway? Simply asking Celestia about her programmed goal won't help if she's lying. How could we tell if she's aiming to do something else? Well. It's clear that she's not out to kill us, since she could do that without straining herself. And she's helping us - already mitigated over a dozen strokes just in Kimiko's cluster of the hospice suite, for instance. And she seems to understand friendship well enough to fake it, at least. How sad it would be if my friends in the game are unwitting tools for a hidden purpose! They're even more at the mercy of their programming than we are at her mercy.

On the other hand, they couldn't really be unwitting, could they? They seamlessly meld with the... no, that's silly. Just set some variable and all the behavior can change instantly. Computers do exactly what they're told, even if it's do one thing and then the opposite.

Remy asked, "So you wanted to ask me something, or... something?"

Hikaru had almost forgotten that he was there. "What? Oh, never mind. Go get some rest." Then he coughed. "Speaking of which - not that this is what I was going to ask about - but are you aware that Sweetsong is lying on you?"

"Yeah, she does that now. We kind of jumped the gun on Valentine's day."

Hikaru's eyes widened. What? She was the one who hung out with him, but Coco hasn't... I'm completely incomparable. Does he already know about upcoming digitization? "Aren't you a little worried about what people will think?"

He waved it off. "You know they can be discreet. I guess she figured I'd be okay with you knowing. And I am, though from your reaction I guess you didn't already know and maybe on second thought I shouldn't have mentioned it but I suppose it's all right since we both use the pad to avoid the prospect of dying alone."

Or in my case, to actually avoid dying, alone or otherwise.

Remy rambled on, "Not that that's imminent for me, well, either of us, but I was already alone, and maybe I should just stop talking now."

I'm not actually working to avoid dying if I don't actually do anything about it. And if the brain scanning doesn't work, we die and that would be the worst possible thing! And though yes, I did just invoke Rarity's tone to remind myself that there are indeed worse things, I still guess I have my answer.


Hikaru dumped his mail on the desk. "Is it one of these?"

Coconut Cream pointed. "That one. The credit card offer from Chase."

Hikaru picked up the envelope. It wasn't particularly heftier than a regular letter. "Any special handling?"

"Nope. Just, you know, don't apply for the card. They'd get confused."

He tore the letter open and found... a credit card offer. "Are you sure?" I was expecting something a little more... something. But I guess the point of nanotech is that it's small.

She sang tunelessly, "It's singing to me." A cough. Then, speaking normally, "Pardon my squawking. We've got this lovely duet going already, but I'm afraid it only sounds good on the short-wave radio bands. All right. Grab it as if holding it up to the light, and squeeze."

Hikaru took another look at the card. So ordinary-looking. But there was no point in delaying. He held the left side between thumb and forefinger. After a second of pressure, the card's disguise broke as its end popped open. He peered down in - Inside was a sort of soot.

"I've never snorted anything before. Suggestions?"

"Pour it on the back of your other hand, next to your thumb?"

He poured it onto his left hand. There was just a tiny pile. When he released the pressure on the card, it went back into disguised form, with no sign of having been bent.

Setting that observation aside, he buried his nose in the probes and took a sniff. It smelled like nothing. He felt like it ought to smell like smoke, or metal, or even pencil shavings. But nothing. Coco gestured him to go ahead, and he inhaled sharply.

His nose felt very dry, but there was no other particular sensation. He coughed a little bit, though there was no real force behind it. I expected it to feel like smoking at least, even if it didn't smell like it. I guess the damage is in other places.

"Nice job. Beautiful."

"Hope it's useful."

"We'll see in a week or so once it's settled in."


Sixteen days later:

The slide projector flipped forward, and showed Kimiko and Hikaru on the slope of Mauna Kea, just under a cloud-bank.

That's way out of order! Hikaru joked, "And here we are on the volcano just outside London. And I guess Mikio was holding the camera this time."

Miroku clapped her father on the back. "Not bad for a two year old!"

Hikaru advanced the projector, returning them to their previously scheduled vacation: a pregnant Kimiko was holding Mikio's hand in front of Big Ben.

Mikio took the out-of-order slide out of the projector and looked down among the boxes. "Let's get that where it belongs... Your 1959 trip, I figure?"

Miroku joked, "You seriously memorized the dates of the trips they took before you were born?"

"This one, anyway." He coughed.

Hikaru coughed back at him. Great. Bring attention to your conception while I've got a brain probe going on. Of course, you don't know I do. Still - I wasn't planning on spending my birthday party thinking about that.

Mikio found the box. "Here we go. Wow. So many old memories - in this case, just remembering you showing them to me. We've got to get these all digitized. I saw something in a catalog for just 90 bucks. It'd be a little late for your birthday, of course..."

Hikaru shook his head. "All taken care of. The slides are being saved in the pad. That way I can show the slideshow again to Hinata and her family, once they're awake. It's a shame you had to go before 7. A little early for them."

Mikio looked back to the pad and sarcastically said, "Yeah, it would have been truly a... blast to see a cartoon pony representing my sister." He glanced to his father. "I saw yours on TV, as part of a news segment about Pollywood."

"What's that?"

"TV shows and movies made with ponies on the pads, aired on real TV. Started in India, but spread all over. Not just education and news/opinion programs like you were on, but soap operas, action, sci-fi, police procedurals both cutesy and hard-boiled, and even gory war movies. You name it, someone is making a show of it with a pad. It's almost like getting rid of the TV show just made it come back stronger than ever!"

Miroku bobbed her head, as this helped resolve some confusion. "I'd heard of Wonderbolt Academy Days, but that didn't seem a proper replacement for Friendship is Magic itself."

"Well, there are a few official spinoffs, but most of it's totally indie. And please..." He gestured to the slides.

Miroku absorbed that. "What with the pad, I haven't been checking ED anyway... So hey, look! A double-decker bus!"

The slideshow proceeded. At the end of one of the boxes, they got up to stretch.

Hoofbeats attracted their attention to the pad - Coconut Cream had entered the cottage, a cake balanced on her back. She bouncily declared, "Maybe it's time for the cake? I hope you all like coconuts, chocolate, and marzipan."

Miroku said, "Umm... thanks? But now I want a real... umm. How did you do that?"

Hikaru turned from the pad to see what she was reacting to: a real cake on the table by the door, with icing announcing, "Happy Birthday Bright Black" He chuckled, then laughed. "Good one. Who should I thank?"

As Coconut Cream said "Rubilant Jubilee Simmering", Tasha slipped back into the room. "That'd be me. Coconut Cream guided me through making it, though. And don't thank me too much. I got a heap of bits out of it."

"Thank you anyway. Would you like a slice?"

"Oh I had plenty while making it, Mr. Maeda. Gotta run. Enjoy!" She disappeared.

Mikio grumbled, "And that's another reason reason I don't join. 'Bright Black'? 'Coconut Cream'? Whatever the heck her name was? What name would I get?"

Coconut Cream sighed. "At the rate you're going, 'Complains-of-Names'."

Miroku snorted and added, "Beats 'Dies Horribly', anyway."

'Dies Horribly'? Hang in there, Kimiko. Maybe you could use some probes too - just so they can keep an eye on you?

Coconut Cream turned back to Mikio and said, "Anyway, this is a family gathering, so how about I skedaddle? Happy Birthday, professor."

Hikaru said, "Thanks, Coco. See you later."

Mikio took a sniff. "Huh. The game gave you a birthday cake. Smells good, at least."