• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 1,333 Views, 45 Comments

Team Awesome Short Stories: Dream's Reality - Caustizer



At the dawn of pony time there existed the mother alicorn of creation and her five children: Celestia, Cadence, Discord, Luna and Dream. In this story, Dream and Luna discover ancient Equestria where the three species of pony don't live in harm

  • ...
2
 45
 1,333

Chapter 15

The fire continues to burn in the pile of stone and wreckage that was once a productive unicorn gem mine on the side of a forested hill far east of Manehatten. A pallid cloud of smoke fills the air as the sounds of crackling wood and raging flames erase the work of generations of builders. In Ruin’s mind though, such unpleasantries are a temporary necessity if all traces of civilization on this world are to be toppled.

Turning away from the product of his efforts, the sickly green pony of desolation faces the rows of hapless unicorn miners he has so recently put out of work. They are a pathetic and dirty lot, but to their credit very few are upset. Apart from the anxiousness of waiting for his pronouncement of their fate they appear to be exhausted and weary. Ruin smiles gleefully as he decides that very topic.

“Throw your gear into the flames,” he commands callously, “you will not need it any longer.”

Like drones the unicorns obey, discarding their picks, helmets and sacks into the inferno. Ruin is astonished by how unquestioningly they obey his leadership even after he so ruthlessly demolished their livelihoods and put down their overseers. Truly these low-born unicorns are a desperate lot in need of his enlightenment.

“Do you know why I have done this?” the green unicorn puts forward, hoping to get an answer from the group now at his mercy.

When he doesn’t get one, annoyance flashes on Ruin’s face.

“…because it was insufferable! How can you ponies be content to gouge holes in the skin of the soil to take its fruits for yourselves? Would it please you if I cut holes in all of you to take from your flesh?”

This doesn’t draw the reaction Ruin is hoping for, with some pulling back in fear and others crying out at the horror of what their conqueror may do to them. Unsatisfied, he decides to take a different approach to reach an understanding with these mortals.

“Tell me, why were you ponies so content to follow this one?”

Using his magic, Ruin pulls over the armoured corpse of one of the overseers and drops it down in front of him. The white unicorn’s armour is matted with blood from being thrown against the rock face an hour earlier.

“He’s one of the Lord Twinring’s guards, and we’re his servants,” shouts out a brownish male unicorn in the front. Beneath the mask of dirt his cutie mark is bushel of flowers, showing that this line of work wasn’t his first choice.

“Servants,” replies Ruin mockingly, “so you think you are beneath this ‘Lord’ Twinring? Why?”

“Because he’s noble born,” answers a different miner, a female unicorn evidently forced to endure the same hardship as the males.

“Hah! What makes him any better then any of you? Did a living god come down from the heavens and proclaim him your lord and master before your vary eyes? You toil and sweat and suffer in his name, yet would he ever do the same for you?”

This time Ruin’s words receive a much better reaction, with many nods of agreement and even a bit of excitement from the group.

“No, he wouldn’t. He despises all of you as beneath him, and sends his well paid minions to keep you all down while they force you to do his dirty work to make him rich.”

The crowd’s passion begins to grow as all of them hang on his words.

“What would you have us do about it, milord?” asks the first miner who spoke.

“I would have you never use such titles again in my presence mortal,” fumes Ruin, before adding, “and to answer your question I would have you bring down this mockery of an order that keeps you oppressed! Know that I am a god, and I have come to aid you in ending this lie!”

There are rousing cheers as the miners rally to his cause, shouting things such as ‘down with Twinring’ and ‘down with the King’. Ruin relishes in the overwhelming wave of approval he is receiving.

“Now gather around and receive your blessing,” continues the green unicorn, “for I will give you the power to resist the tyrants, and take back what is yours!”

Above the rancorous shouts and stomping of hooves the clearing lights up with waves of green light as Ruin uses his tremendous magical power to transform his new followers into an army. From the ashes of their meagre pony heritage they become rough skinned, green eyed soldiers of terror and destruction. With their injections come a tide of new emotions – hatred of possessions, distain for food or water, and a vicious need to demolish everything not natural they lay eyes on.

Soon, very soon, they will have their justice.



Three days.

It’s been three days since Dream and Luna disappeared from their bedrooms and indeed from the material world completely. Light had locked herself in her room after the first night, and has yet to emerge even for meal times. Princess Celestia has taken charge of the search since then, giving all her golden creatures commands to search every inch of the Palace and its grounds over and over again. Frustration is in the air for the three remaining siblings, though for different reasons. Breakfast on the morning of the third day was on time, but the food simply appeared without their mother to usher in the courses. Light’s mood is reflected in the weather today as well, as a dull light rain pours against the castle walls from a greyish cloudy sky.

“You haven’t touched your eggs and carrots Cadence,” points out Celestia delicately.

Cadence sighs and pushes the plate away with one hoof.

“I’m not hungry.”

Discord, on the other hand, is freely gorging his face on the sudden abundance of food that otherwise would have been eaten by the others. Having already eaten most of the waffles, he turns his eyes towards Cadence’s untouched plate with barely disguised glee.

“Are you going to eat that?”

“What did I just say?” snaps back the pink alicorn.

“Sheesh, little miss emotional today,” jabs Discord as he summons over her plate and helps himself.

“You and mother are upset about this and I am too,” continues Celestia, “but I know they’re out there somewhere. We just have to keep looking.”

Cadence doesn’t look entirely reassured.

“But we’ve looked everywhere Celestia,” she answers disheartedly, “and if even mother can’t find them then what chance do we have?”

Discord munches loudly on Cadence’s carrots, earning a look of distaste from her.

“Don’t you remember Team Awesome?” the princess of the sun inquires.

“Yeah,” replies Cadence, “but all the things we did… well… we were just children.”

“And how is it any different now? Don’t you remember what we agreed on, ‘no team member left behind’?”

Cadence looks uncomfortable, but her eyes say she knows it to be the truth.

“The team never ended,” continues Celestia, “we’ve just grown up and now we do our own things. Going for hikes in the woods and stealing cookies may not appeal to us anymore, but the lessons we learned are still here.”

“What are you talking about? Those cookies were amazing,” puts in Discord as he tosses aside an apple core (which lands in front of Cadence).

Just then a thought strikes Cadence that hadn’t occurred to her before. What if her brother knows something about the twins’ disappearance? What if he just isn’t telling them something important? Whispers of hate and betrayal begin to slip into her mind as Haetra once more presses her to show her anger publicly.

“… because unlike you two I’ve been very productive over these past few days,” continues Discord in response to a question from Celestia, “machinery is difficult to work with you know,”

“And what exactly are you building Discord?” asks Cadence with a tinge of suspicion.

“Oh nothing really,” replies Discord casually, “it’s just a secret little project of mine.”

“And isn’t it a coincidence that you happen to be working on some big-time thing when Dream and Luna go missing?”

Celestia takes on an expression of alarm as she realizes what her little sister is implying.

“Whatever do you mean Caddy?” teases Discord.

“You don’t seem that bothered that the twins are missing…what have you really been doing locked in your room this whole time?”

“I told you it’s none of your business.”

“Cadence,” insists Celestia, “I’m certain our brother is just as concerned as we are.”

Discord nods approvingly at Celestia telling her off, and it brings on a wave of anger from Cadence. The princess of love leaps up on the table and stomps her foot down, crushing the apple core.

“Don’t try and play us for fools Discord, this isn’t just one of your games! You know where they are because you put them there!”

“Cadence please,” insists Celestia carefully, “you’ve got to control yourself.”

“Tell me about it,” jabs Discord as he hovers in the air with his arms crossed, “it sounds like someone is giving the Hatress a bit too much airtime.”

“Oh yeah?” fumes Cadence, “if you want her then you got her!”

Celestia and her brother watch in horror as her eyes begin to glow, and her skin darkens in hue. Before any of them can think of a way to stop her, Cadence’s pupils change becoming visibly more cat-like. The new comer in her body breathes a sigh of relief, and turns her gaze towards Discord. Expecting a fight he scowls and begins preparing a few spells. Haetra looks at him with steely eyes, but then utters a playful laugh.

“Finally that bitch lets me out,” expresses Haetra as she turns her eyes away and starts stretching her legs, “it’s about time.”

Celestia backs away from the table, unsure what to do next. Mother had never taught them anything about what to do when a sibling fully changes.

“If you want to fight me then go ahead,” insists Haetra absently towards Discord, “but if you don’t I have better things to do with my newfound freedom… like eating.”

Surprised by the lack of hostility in her remarks, Discord lets his spells fade and settles back into his seat. Haetra eyes some of the delicacies lying about on the table and begins grabbing a little of each one and placing it on her plate.

“Aren’t you supposed to me mad at me?” asks Discord cautiously, the expression on his face showing that he is expecting some kind of trick.

“Hah, unlike ‘Caddy’ I just don’t care if you’re hiding the twins or not,” Haetra replies while eagerly biting into the foods she has never had the opportunity to taste before, “she’s only upset because she loves them you know... pretty pathetic if you ask me.”

Where none of Cadence’s previous remarks had had any effect on Discord, this particular one hits home and the draconiquis begins to looks guilty.

“I didn’t do anything like that. I have no idea where they are,” he insists sincerely.

That proves enough for Celestia and she works up the courage to step in.

“Okay you’ve had your fun Haetra, but now its time to bring back Cadence.”

“I don’t think so sweet heart,” counters the princess of hate, “it took a lot of work for me to get this body and I’m not just gonna give it back for free.”

“I’m warning you,” threatens Celestia, “if you don’t then you’ll regret it.”

“Oh yeah?” hisses Haetra, “what are you going to do… give me a sun burn?”

The princess of the sun grinds her teeth. Having failed at getting back Cadence the ‘nice’ way, her eyes begin to glow as she unleashes her righteous anger. Snarling, Princess Celestia’s mane bursts into flames. All the food on the table nearest to her begins to sizzle and burn, and Discord and Haetra are both forced to shield their eyes. The sudden flare up settles into a steady flame as it becomes apparent that Celestia has become somepony different altogether. Like Haetra her eyes are golden and deadly like those of a predator, but unlike her counterpart Solar Flare bears an aura of nobility and justice in addition to her intimidating appearance. Stalking across the table, the princess of fire burns away the contents of Haetra’s plate with a mere gesture and bends over to look her straight in the eye.

“I’ll lock you in Cadence’s room with all her dollies!” shouts Solar Flare, “…then I’ll animate them to hug you and say they love you repeatedly for all eternity.”

A look of horror appears on Haetra’s face.

“You wouldn’t dare!”

Solar Flare gives a toothy grin of satisfaction as she begins casting a lengthy and powerful spell. Haetra recoils in terror and covers her head with her hoofs.

“No, don’t! Okay… I’ll let her come back just don’t do that to me!”

Scared into submission by Solar Flare’s threats, Haetra relents and there is a flash of light as her skin returns to its normal pinkish hue and Cadence gets her body back. A moment later Celestia regains control of hers too, and soon both sisters are staring at each other in confusion and regret, failing to understand how they both could have given in to their bad sides so quickly.

“You two have some serious problems,” comments Discord inappropriately, though the enormous smile on his face shows his amusement over the whole affair. The bad sides should show their faces more often around here… it would make meal times so much more interesting.



At Castle Nightstar it has been a day and a half since Solon and his patrol returned from the crater. Preparations for Starswirl the Bearded’s visit are continuing on an hourly basis as decorations are set up in the main hall and the store rooms and cellars are emptied by the servants in anticipation of a great feast. Lord Magnus Nightstar is on his way to recovery and had managed a walk in the garden early that morning to watch his son’s feverish training and give him advice. While all this is going on, another pony of some status within the house carries on with her work as well for she has a very important job – preparing Luna’s dress.

Fantasy is the noble tailor and dresser at Castle Nightstar and it is a job she takes to with passion and enthusiasm. Like her mother before her, the white unicorn wears her purple mane in a forward curl and frequently works long hours to perfect the latest in her line of gowns and dresses for Lady Nightstar. Her latest task is preparing for the arrival of the High Lector, only this time her creation is not intended for the Lady but for their honoured guest: Miss Luna.

Judging from her magical aptitude the new arrival is quite impressive, and Fantasy was blown away when she saw her raise the moon all by herself. Privately she feels a hint of jealousy at the inadequacy of her own powers, but that is not what bothers her the most. Ever since Solon had come of age Fantasy had been trying to attract his attention, but it was to no avail. Sure he is a bit of an ass, for a noble, but what she wants is the position such a marriage would give her. To be the Lady of the house and be able to wear her greatest gowns to the royal ball and meet all the nobles in all the land… such would be a dream come true. But now in the blink of an eye this Luna comes in and captures his fancy right under her nose! The nerve…

Silently Fantasy shakes her head to clear such thoughts from her mind. It is not her place to put her feelings above the wishes of her lady. Besides, it is rare that she is given the opportunity to express her talents in the art of dress on another less-then-noble pony and she intends to capitalize on it to try something new. Now, if only the subject would show up to her quarters on time…

Fantasy waits impatiently in the middle of her dressing room with all her tools and materials laid out neatly and ready to use. Rolling her eyes, she looks at the grandfather clock positioned in the corner of her room to check the time. Judging from the position of the hands, Luna is a minute late. She would have to scold their guest’s lack of punctuality.

Suddenly, there is a knock on the door.

“Come in my dear,” insists Fantasy.

The doorway opens and in walks Luna. The princess of the night appears to be a bit nervous as if she doesn’t know what to expect. Having never been ‘dressed’ before, this will be a new experience.

“Are you Fantasy?” she asks.

“Of course,” the pearl coloured mare replies, “step in to the center of the room please so we can begin.”

“Great, for a moment I thought I might have picked the wrong room.”

The wrong room? Fantasy silently fumes as she takes it as a slight against the amount of materials she had stocked. Hiding the emotion, she directs Luna to the spot in the middle where the fitting is to be done. Absently, she picks up a measuring tape and begins measuring Luna’s body.

“What are you doing?” the princess asks as Fantasy wraps a strand of marked rope around her midquarters.

“Taking down your sizes,” answers the dresser, “I’ll need these numbers if I am to make you a new dress for tomorrow.”

Luna relaxes, but doesn’t look completely convinced.

“You have an unusual cutie mark,” Fantasy comments as she measures her hind legs, “I’ve never seen one so large.”

“All of us have one like that,” answers Luna, “my sisters and me, I mean.”

Fantasy finishes her measuring and looks down at her numbers with a hint of disgust. Luna is the thinnest pony she’s ever measured. No wonder Solon is so attracted to her…

“Are we done?” the princess asks with a hint of impatience.

“Not yet,” insists Fantasy, casting aside pleasantries, “I’ll need to take off that cuirass on your chest… it’ll get in the way of the dress.”

“I’d prefer to keep it on, thank you,” asserts Luna, sensing some hostility.

“I insist.”

“So do I.”

Fantasy and Luna exchange glances, and the tension in the room rises.

“Well then I suppose we’ll have to work around it,” proposes the dresser after remembering her duties.

“Thank you for your help, but I don’t think I need a new dress,” answers Luna in an attempt to escape a confrontation, “goodbye.”

The princess makes to leave, but Fantasy shuts the door using her powers. Luna rounds on her, but the dresser takes a different tone.

“Please, stay,” begs the unicorn, “this won’t take long.”

Luna eyes the door and considers her options. With a sigh, she gives in.

“Okay,” replies Luna as she submits, “You can take it off… I suppose you know best.”

Chiding herself for letting petty jealousy take hold, Fantasy nods with approval before undoing the buckles and pulling off Luna’s chest piece. Unbeknownst to her, by removing it she clips the invisible amulet on her neck that holds together the princess’ concealed cloak. The link comes apart, and as the unicorn puts aside the cuirass on one of her desks the cape comes loose and falls to the ground leaving Luna’s wings fully revealed.

Aware that her wings can be seen and her true form is seconds away from being spotted by Fantasy, Luna breaks into a panic. As the dresser grabs her measuring tape and turns around she is overwhelmed by a wave of choking blue fog conjured by Luna. Taken by complete surprise Fantasy screams as she is blinded by the spell. The room descends into chaos as Luna makes a break for the door in the darkness and pulls it open. Behind her, Fantasy falls into one of her shelves of fabric causing it to collapse in a giant heap. In a flash Luna pushes herself out into the hall taking some of the bluish mist out with her.

“AHHH! Help, help! Guards!” cries Fantasy in panic.

Scared witless and now without her disguise, Luna whirls around frantically looking for a way to escape. The sounds of galloping hooves signal the coming of a castle guard. Thinking quickly, the princess of the moon imagines where her room is and what it looks like. Drawing magic into her horn, she casts a teleportation spell and within an instant she is gone.

A few seconds after Luna’s disappearance, Sky Sparkle arrives at the scene. He coughs as he breathes in some of the salty black smoke, but he quickly uses his magic to clear the murky haze which is already beginning to disperse. Entering the dresser’s room, he immediately surveys the situation.

“Miss Fantasy, what is the matter that draws your cries?” he requests.

She looks at him, and then looks around at the horrid state of her dressing room, and starts bawling at the fate of her precious work. Removing his helmet, Sky Sparkle begins the process of soothing her and getting things cleaned up.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------