• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 1,333 Views, 45 Comments

Team Awesome Short Stories: Dream's Reality - Caustizer



At the dawn of pony time there existed the mother alicorn of creation and her five children: Celestia, Cadence, Discord, Luna and Dream. In this story, Dream and Luna discover ancient Equestria where the three species of pony don't live in harm

  • ...
2
 45
 1,333

Introduction

At the beginning of time in the pony universe there existed two mighty spirits... Light and Dark. The majestic alicorn Light came into consciousness from the combined essence of freshly born stars, and as their maker and keeper she came to be known as the Mother of Creation. Infinite spaces and endless time were nothing to her when it came to caring for her children. For eons Light showed them love similar to what a mother would show her sons and daughters, but where there is light there must also be darkness. The equally powerful alicorn Dark came into existence reluctantly from the resistance of the void, and to him fell the task of ending the lives of stars too ancient to persist any longer. This duty he performed unfailingly for many eons, and following in his wake Light would gather the ashes and birth them anew to continue the eternal cycle.

In this period Light and Dark were the only sentient creatures in existence and they grew to know each another cordially. For millions of years the two mighty alicorns got along fairly well, for each respected the necessity of the other's task in maintaining the balance of the universe. When a rift developed between them it was slow and gradual, creeping in as each began to change with the passing eons. This divide finally broke out into the open when Dark began to consume the stars he destroyed as opposed to initiating supernovae, creating vicious black holes where clouds of star dust should've been. Enraged at what she viewed as a betrayal of their friendship, Light found and confronted him.

The details of such a battle are beyond mortal comprehension, but eventually Light cast Dark into one of his own black holes weakening him enough that she could trap him in the only prison that could possibly hold a being of his power: herself. The act drained her beyond recovery as well, to the point where she could no longer take the role she once did for her star children. Exhausted and bitter, Light retreated to a small barren planet in a nearby solar system and set up a massive home for herself which would eventually become known as the Palace of Creation.

No longer as divine and eternal as she once was, Light began to feel a nagging loneliness like she never had before. Her connection to the stars had been almost completely cut, and Dark's vengeful silence only made things worse. One day while gazing towards the rising sun, she grew angry.

"If you will no longer speak to me, then I shall give you a new voice," she declared, and so the magical experiments began.

Light made dozens of attempts to give the Sun a voice like the one it had once spoken to her with, but they all resulted in dismal failure. Amused with her lack of success, Dark mocked her.

"Your children no longer wish to talk," the imprisoned alicorn teased, "can't you see they despise you?"

Immune to his unsubtle jabs, Light continued her work. Eventually, she gave in to frustration and offered to make him a bet. The conditions were that Dark would give a portion of his own essence willingly for her experiments. If she failed to make the Sun speak to her within a hundred years, she would release her mental shackles and set him free. It was an offer Dark couldn't refuse, and he accepted her terms with enthusiasm knowing that the odds of her success were miniscule.

As it would turn out, it was exactly what Light needed. Taking energy from one of the Sun's mighty solar flares, she trapped it into a ball and mixed in Dark's contribution. Fusing it all together, she created the first real pony in the universe - Celestia.

Soon after came more children as Light sought to make the voices of other objects in the universe heard. The night twins, Luna and Dream, came from the Moon and dark matter clouds respectively and entered the world together in a bright and joyful mood. Next came Discord, who gained his unruly shape from a magical spat between Celestia and Dream about what materials Light should add towards his creation. Finally came Cadence, born out of the love that Light felt for her new family.

Dark was furious that he had been cheated in such a way, but he soon came to be aware of a silver lining to his tragedy. All five of Light's children contained a part of him - a dual personality that haunted their waking steps and even sometimes their sleeping ones. He knew that Light would have a considerable task training them to beat their bad sides, and one day... perhaps sooner rather then later... they will all turn and be his once more. When that day comes, he will finally have the might to break free of his wretched prison and take revenge.

These are the stories of these five children, and their eternal quest to tame their opposite sides and find their place in the world.