• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 1,333 Views, 45 Comments

Team Awesome Short Stories: Dream's Reality - Caustizer



At the dawn of pony time there existed the mother alicorn of creation and her five children: Celestia, Cadence, Discord, Luna and Dream. In this story, Dream and Luna discover ancient Equestria where the three species of pony don't live in harm

  • ...
2
 45
 1,333

Chapter 1

"The number one key to artificial flight is lift. Provided proper acceleration can be achieved, a wing of vertically distorted concoidal shape can provide this to an otherwise propelled craft."

Dream reads the line twice, the second time aloud, trying to understand its meaning.

"Wow," the pony princess exclaims with glee, "interesting… I would very much like to see if it works in mother's pony world."

Eager to learn more, she turns the page of the sturdy volume entitled 'Artificial and Mechanical Aeronautics' and reads on.

Around her the library of the Palace of Creation sprawls into near infinity, chocked full of every book, scroll, and tablet ever written in the worlds created and maintained by her mother. Dream is the only guest in it now, and truth be told that is the way she likes it. Possessed of fine intelligence and curiosity, coupled with the immense privilege of being a princess, she spends as much of her time as she can flying by the shelves and pulling out whatever looks interesting to her. A pile of books four feet tall lay across the room, and an almost equally large one of the books she has already read surrounds the bean bag chair Dream now sits in.

The silence and tranquility is disturbed by a sudden swoop of wings.

"Hi Dream!" Cadence exclaims excitedly, "what'cha reading?"

Dream lifts the book for a second, just long enough for her to see the annoying look of giddiness on her sister's face as she hovers a foot above the ground. Tightening her expression, the dark princess' face exudes her annoyance at being interrupted.

"Nothing you would be interested in."

Landing on the ground, Cadence pouts.

"Oh, I guess you don't like me here huh?"

Dream sighs, placing a bookmark between the pages and setting it aside. Cadence is like that… she looks up to her older siblings, especially Celestia. She currently has a tendency to follow them around and occasionally that meant she got on Dream's nerves. The mare of dreams liked to be alone, but she wasn't about to ignore her little sister's sensitivities.

"The book is about flight," replies Dream with a slight smile, "it describes how to achieve flight without the use of wings."

Cadence brightens up a bit.

"But that's easy… just use magic!"

Lighting up her horn the pink princess suddenly casts a spell on the nearest object, which turns out is the pile of 'read' books. They burst into a cloud of yellow butterflies, which flutter about in all directions. Cadence looks proud of her work.

"…see?"

Dream isn't that impressed. Her first thought is centered on the fact she wouldn't be able to read those ever again. Drat!

"Why are you down here anyway," asks Dream as she tried to gather back together the butterflies to change them back into her books, "…did somepony send you?"

"Yep," answers Cadence, "Tia says dinner is ready… the others are already down there waiting."

Realizing it is a hopeless cause, Dream gives up and smiles in her sister's direction.

"Tell them I won't be long."

"K."

Cadence giggles as she trots away towards the library entrance.



The smell of freshly prepared food assails Dream's nostrils before she reaches the Great Hall, and she picks up the pace in anticipation. Travelling as a dark green cloud, she found she could get around the palace a lot faster without the slowness of walking and the accidents associated with flying in such confided spaces. Swooping through the passages she re-materializes in her own form in front of the massive doors, and pushes them open with her magic.

The darkness is parted by the golden gleaming lights of the Great Hall, revealing a table arrayed with food of all kinds. The aroma of such a feast is alluring, and Dream found herself marvelling at the variety. There are plates of fruit elegantly arranged in semicircle formations, loaves of steaming hot bread and butter and other delicacies of an entirely vegetarian variety (ponies don't eat meat after all). Conducting herself in a princessly manner, she hovers up to her specially designed and decorated chair and sits down.

Dream's attention is so caught by the food she failed to notice the fact that all the others – Luna, Celestia, Cadence, and Discord – are staring at her from their seats as well as exchanging glances of amusement and giggling. Using her magic, she ties her special apron around her neck to avoid any unnecessary stains on her beautiful black coat. She looks up and addresses her siblings.

"Sisters and bother… shall we partake?"

And that is when it happens. The bowl of lukewarm porridge that had been dangling over her head tips, dumping the whole thing all over Dream. She gasps in surprise and shock, gaping at the sticky tan goo that now covers her from head to hoof.

The others explode laughing. Discord in particular is banging his hands on the table, knocking off a few utensils. His prank had worked out perfectly, and he releases the spell. With a clang, the empty bowl falls to the floor.

"Look, look can you see her face?" exclaims Cadence with glee.

"I know… it's totally priceless!" adds Luna, laughing with her little sister.

Celestia recovers first, wiping the tears from her eyes with a handkerchief.

"As much as I don't approve of such pranks, that was perfectly done Cord," she states, "look now you've got me tearing up."

"My absolute best," the draconiquis exclaims.

As the reality of the situation set in, Dream is anything but amused. Her vindictive nature kicks in, and she grinds her teeth in rage. The porridge starts to steam and boil, evaporating from her skin until it is all gone.

Luna went from amusement to fear.

"Oh no guys, I think she's pretty mad," the moon princess states as she ducks under the table.

The laughter slowly began to fade.

"It's only a joke Dream," interjects Cadence a bit out of turn, "…no harm done."

"A joke?" Dream hisses in anger, "you all think that's funny?"

Her eyes started to glow a deep green, indicating that some power from within her is rising up. The others see it too, and the mood immediately changes.

"Calm down Dream, it was just for fun… you don't need to get upset," assures Celestia in her caring but firm tone. As the leader of the group she has some authority.

"Yeah," adds Discord, "we're sorry if it hurt your feelings."

Dream's expression softens and the green glow disappears, much to everypony else's relief. Regaining control of herself, the dark princess sighs and after a few moments she smiles.

"Of course," replies Dream neutrally, and she grabs an apple near her plate and takes a massive bite.

Luna pops out from under the table, sensing things aren't about to get out of hand.

As a whole, the group sets about getting into their meals. Celestia in particular appears famished, and she grabs a piece of toasted garlic bread with jam on it. The delicacy is halfway to her mouth when a bowl of hot apple sauce flies across the table and tosses its contents into her face.

Celestia squeals with surprise and throws her hooves up in shock, trying to rub the sticky red mixture away from her eyes and mouth. Across the table, Dream is looking at her with a sly and devious smile.

"Apology accepted."

As if a bomb had been set off, the entire table explodes. Discord grabs every item on the table and hovers them in the air, acting with the intent of throwing them at Dream to avenge the deed done to Celestia. The plan goes awry as the spell fails, sending food cascading in all directions. Cadence is struck by a barrage of jelly donuts, and nearly half of them burst their contents all over her, causing her to cry out in excitement.

"FOOD FIGHT!"

Everything turns into chaos as sister hurls food at sister, and soon the entire hall is a complete mess. Discord starts conjuring muffins, hurling them in all directions. Celestia catches up with Dream and tosses a full lemon pie at her, hitting Luna by mistake and spattering lemon juice all over her coat. Cadence spills the punch on Discord, causing him to loose aim and pelt Celestia with muffins by accident. Everywhere there is laughing and glee as they each take vengeance upon each other at the expense of the evening meal.

The fight had been going for ten whole minutes when suddenly it all ground to a halt immediately.

"STOP!"

Powerful and wild magic envelops the room, freezing everypony where they stand. In seconds every piece of food in the entire room is swept up and dissolved by the incredible spell, leaving only ponies trapped in limbo and unable to move.

The slamming of the heavy Great Hall doors emphasizes the obvious - Mother has arrived.