• Published 8th Jan 2013
  • 1,333 Views, 45 Comments

Team Awesome Short Stories: Dream's Reality - Caustizer



At the dawn of pony time there existed the mother alicorn of creation and her five children: Celestia, Cadence, Discord, Luna and Dream. In this story, Dream and Luna discover ancient Equestria where the three species of pony don't live in harm

  • ...
2
 45
 1,333

Chapter 4

Upon the world of ponies night is coming to an end. The shining stars in the east had been consumed by a rising crescendo of red light, a sheer sign of the coming dawn. Traces of the morning light lick at the edges of the forest beyond the castle walls, illuminating the horizon and ushering in the promise of a new day and a new beginning.

Solon Nightstar isn't looking forward to its arrival in the slightest.

Perched on the battlements of the Lord of Nightstar's castle, the navy blue unicorn stands alone and in his full set of armour watching the advancing day as it comes in. Always a politically minded pony, the only thing he sees is that soon it would be their turn to continue the sun on its path and push away the moon and the night.

In these past times raising and lowering both the sun and the moon is an extremely difficult operation that requires all of the dozens of ponies in the castle to combine their powers to ensure success. Granted, unicorns from other distant castles are helping as well and even carrying most of the weight… for Castle Nightstar is small in comparison to some. It is a fact that angers Solon, though he rarely expresses it. Nobles from other castles look down upon those from Castle Nightstar and in some cases ridicule them for not bearing their share of the burden of moving forward the day. The navy blue unicorn had recently acquired plenty of experience in the matter.

"You rise early… a fine trait for a noble young heir."

Solon turns and looks over his shoulder, catching a glance of his father trotting along the rampart and coming up behind him.

"Perhaps to see our duty done as quickly as possible father," replies Solon.

Lord Magnus Nightstar joins Solon in looking out towards the horizon, his grey mane and tail swaying in the wind. He isn't dressed anywhere near as formally, bearing a simple amulet of office around his neck and a set navy blue tabards over his back bearing the family heraldry (as is traditional for a noble) of a golden halo star.

"Indeed, the hour of our requirement approaches," answers Magnus wisely, "but perhaps it is because your thoughts are sharpened by the insults borne of your recent visit to Platinum Castle?"

Solon snorts with indignation, and looks away. Why did his father seem to have an uncanny ability to guess what he is thinking? Magnus laughs deeply at the reaction.

"Hah, lad I would be too. Still, it is nothing worth crossing horns over-"

"-and why not?" Solon cuts in with a hint of frustration, "I would gladly duel any who insults the honour of this house."

Lord Magnus eyes his son severely.

"You would compromise peace over a mere gesture? Such is the mark of an unwise ruler."

Solon bites back a thoughtless response, and bows his head in deference.

"My apologies father."

The expression earns a smile from the grey maned unicorn lord, and he returns his gaze to the encroaching sun which has made its way halfway up the horizon.

"If you are so eager that we contribute more to our spell of duty," continues Lord Magnus, "then perhaps you should employ other means to bolster our power."

Solon can't help but roll his eyes – here it comes.

"You are of age to choose a mate Solon, and yet I see no mare has captured your attentions. Tell me, what is holding you back? Do the mares within these walls lack sufficient dress or grooming to suit you?"

Uninterested in the question, the navy unicorn turns away to look at something else. Father had brought this up over and over again for many years, as if it is cause for alarm. No, the real reason is much simpler then that – he wanted his special somepony to actually be special. The unicorn mares within the castle are either too boring, too prissy, or a combination of both for him to find them attractive. Solon had long ago determined that what he looks for in a mare is personality, and not only that but an adventurous and unique personality to take him away from the monotony of castle life. Unfortunately though these qualities don't come up in unicorns very often – in fact almost never at all. Admittedly, Solon sometimes watched the female pegasi flying freely through the clouds near the castle and wished he could have one of his own, even though it is against the law.

A great silver comet streaks across the sky, passing over the castle in a shower of brilliance. Sensing his son is still forming an answer, the older unicorn switches his gaze to the stars.

"A good omen my son," comments Magnus passively.

Solon is momentarily distracted from his thoughts, fixing his eyes upon the celestial body now falling towards the north. His eyes widen in alarm as he soon realizes it is falling towards the ground. It's going to crash!

"Father…"

Lord Nightstar is transfixed on the falling star as well, following its silvery arch every inch of its passage. In a single moment the comet strikes the ground in the distance, producing a flash of bright white. Its intensity is so great, it momentarily blocks out the rising sun.

"My word," states Magnus with awe.

"Have you ever seen such a thing?" asks Solon with curiosity.

Falling stars were not unheard of, but word of one striking the surface had never reached Castle Nightstar before.

"Not in my days," replies Magnus heartedly, "…it is quite the omen indeed."

The stilled silence following the impact of the comet is suddenly broken by the sounds of mustering in the small village below and behind the battlements. The majority of unicorns had awoken and were ready to begin the process of raising the sun. Solon couldn't help but note the poor timing of it.

"What would you have us do father?" questions Solon with integrity.

"Were you the lord of this house in my stead, what would you do?" answers Magnus with a sly question.

The older unicorn was clearly testing his heir's skills at governance. To his credit, Solon knows exactly what he wants to be done.

"We must send a patrol out to locate the fallen star," replies the lord-to-be with confidence, "we cannot chance a sign of such importance being looted by earth ponies or stolen by pegasi thieves."

"An interesting assessment," notes Magnus with a nod, "and it is one I approve of. Gather a set of castle guards and lead an expedition to the impact site. Report to me on what you find by letter or in person."

Solon makes haste to obey his father's command, thankful that he is already wearing the armour such a patrol requires. At the last moment a question occurs to him, and the noble turns around.

"But what of the spell, father?"

"You will be missed," admits Magnus from a distance, "but nothing we cannot make up for… go quickly."

Satisfied that that loose end is accounted for, Solon gallops down the stairs towards the main gates.



Just inside main gates of the castle two pones sit in the grassy nook beside the dirt road. Judging from their attire they are guard ponies, for each wears a plated metal cuirass bearing the heraldry of the House of Nightstar. Standard guard dress consists of a such a chest piece as well as a leather wrapping around the belly bearing a set of woven tabards along the flanks and a steel forged helmet completing the set, but in this case the last two items are discarded against the wall for purpose of comfort. It is pretty well, considering that the two male unicorns Zephyr and Sky Sparkle are intently focusing on the chess board that lies between them.

"Lord to B-3," declares Sky Sparkle, and he rubs his chin with one hoof as the corresponding piece completes the valid move.

"An interesting choice Sparkle," comments Zephyr with glee, "but you hast left your Lector exposed. Prince to A-6."

The white prince piece slides across the board, displacing the black lector (a high mage unicorn representing a bishop). Unceremoniously, the piece returns to the wooden box next to Sky Sparkle where it came from.

"Clever," replies Sky Sparkle, "but you should think more before you make such a rash move. Castle to A-4."

The black castle piece slides into position, coming awfully close to the all important princess piece.

"Check."

"Oooo you think you're so smart," chides Zephyr playfully, "been reading some books on chess have we?"

The grin on Sky Sparkle's face speaks for itself.

Suddenly, the game is rudely interrupted by the arrival of a well equipped and ill tempered noble of the house.

"Stand to," commands Solon harshly, "put your little game on hold and get into formation."

The two male unicorns obey as quickly as ponily possible, clipping on their tabards and dropping the heavy metal helmets on their heads. In a flash they are both standing side by side in front of Solon, noses raised regally in the air.

"That's better," states the navy blue unicorn with approval, "now, Lord Nightstar has ordered us on an expedition to recover the fallen star…"

Both unicorn guards looked perplexed… what star is he talking about?

"… and you are both to do exactly as I say, got it?"

"Yes sir," they both reply with a salute.

"Excellent," remarks Solon as he turns toward the closed doors behind him, "now you will assist me in opening this gate. And by assist, I mean you two will do it for me… now get to it!"

Zephyr and Sky Sparkle attend to their duties, both not without a small grumble each. Why do snobbery and nobility always have to come hoof in hoof?