• Published 31st Dec 2012
  • 1,427 Views, 39 Comments

The Apples of Ponyville - primeoetgrunn



Applebloom finds a strange orange artifact, buried underneath the barn.

  • ...
1
 39
 1,427

Ghosts and a test drive

The morning after the princesses took the moonshine, the Apple family was having breakfast.

"Lemme get this straight: tha thing ah found was really an ancient cart, build by our ancestors?" Applebloom asked while eating her cereal.

"Eeyup. And the princess fixed it up, so when we finish breakfast, ahm gonna get Twilight to help us get the General ta move." Applejack said.

"So that's why Pa had ta build the barn on that exact spot." Granny Smith concluded.

"So, why don't we take a look at the thang?" Big Mac asked his sister. While saying that, he looked alot like the cereal-guy.

"All in good time. When Twilight is here, ya'll may see it." the orange mare put on her hat and left the farmhouse.

Just when she reached the border of the property she could hear the horn of the General, making Applebloom and Big Mac look outside of the window.
Applejack ran back to the barn at full speed.

'Nopony may see it 'fore we know how it works!'

When she got at the entrance, the headlights were on and the engine was rumbling. It also almost looked like someting was sitting inside.
The shadow of the thing inside the car exited through the windows, and walked on two legs to the cowpony.

"Take good care of her... and she will take good care of you." the shadow said. It was clearly male.

"Who or what are you?" Applejack said trembling on her hooves.

"I am the ghost of Bo Duke." tthe shadow said.

"This reminds me of the time we tricked Rosco into believing we drowned by painting the General all glowy-like. 'Xept, this time, we really are ghosts!"

Another shadow climbed out of the other side of the Charger. This one was holding some keys.

"These are the keys to a whole lot of fun, so take good care of them!" The second ghost said stern.

"C'mon, Luke. We have ta go. Uncle Jesse is wait'n for us in heaven." Bo said.

And with those final words, the Dukes of Hazzard left the living... forever.
The car didn't make any sound, the lights were out and the keys were rested on Applejacks stetson.
Everything was silent.
Applejack realised that she was late and decided to run to the library.
Once she got there, Twilight was waiting with her saddlebags filled to the edge with scrolls.

"Mornin', Twilight." Applejack greeted the librarian.

"Good morning, Applejack. Are you ready to find out how the 'General lee' works?" Twilight purnounced the name of the car with a mocking tone.

"Don't say it like that, you'll make them angry!" Applejack whispered at the lavender unicorn.

"Make who angry?"

"Bo and Luke! They visited me just this morning, Told me about taking good care of the General. And thrust me, ah don't believe in ghosts, but they definately were." Applejack said while nervously looking around.

"Are you serious?" Twilight asked.

"Ahm the Element of Honesty, waddaya think!?"

"Good point. Now, lets go. I can't wait to find out what humans could do with a simple chariot design." Twilight started walking to the barn, followed closeby by Applejack.

When the got close to the entrance of Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack decided she had to bring Applebloom, Big Mac and Granny with her, while Twilight walked directly to the barn where the car was.
After some examining of the tires, the Apple family walked in. Applebloom directly ran to the car when she saw it, while the others just watched.

"What does this do, ohh and this, and this?" Applebloom pointed at several parts.

"We have still to find that out." Twilight said to the little fillie.

"Maybe this will work?" Applejack got out the keys "Ah saw the ghosts climbing out of the sides."

The orange mare climbed into the car in a very clumsy way, hitting her head and flank several times.
When she finally got in the drivers seat, she stuck the keys in the contact and turned them.
The engine made some sound, but didn't rumble the way it did before.
Applejack looked down in defeat, then she spotted three pedals underneath the wheel infront of her.

'Eenie, meenie, minie, mo...'

She pushed down the pedal on the far left, turned the key and the General coughed to life.

"YEEEEEH HAAAAW!" Applejack couldn't help but to let out a victory yell.

The rest of the Apple family didn't know what was happening. A large orange 'thing' was making a low rumbling noise, as if it were an angry dog, and Applejack sat inside of it with a big smile.

"Now to make it move." Applejack said, looking around for some kind of button to make the car roll.

"Maybe this will help you." Twilight levitated a scroll with a drawing of some kind of mechanism.

"What is it?" the mare behind the wheel asked.

"I took the liberty to levitate the machine, so i could discover more about its inner-workings. What I saw was a metal tube, that was connected to some gears, wich should fit into another gear connected to the engine." Twilight explained.

Applejack took a look at the drawing, then around the interior of the car, then the drawing again and then a stick between the front seats.

"Lemme try sumthin'..."

Applejack placed her front hoof on the stick, while holding the left pedal down. She moved the stick to the left and front.
The car moved slowly forward.

"It rolls!" Granny Smith moved behind Big mac, who in turn, was pretty scared himself. Applebloom could just stare at the orange beast.

'Now let's see what the right panel does.' Applejack thought.

She pushed the pedal down, the engine roared and the car moved at a considerably faster pace. This almost caused the car to drive through the newly renovated wall, if Applejack didn't instinctively move the steering wheel, and drove through the exit of the barn and into the orchard.

Applejack was scared to death, moving faster than anypony could run. it certanly did not help that she was moving to a large pond with a ramp.
The General moved faster and faster as Applejack kept the gas floored. Almost at the ramp, the frightnened orange mare pushed her front hooves on the middle of the wheel, causing the horn to sound as the car jumped over the pond, into another barn.
Applejack finally found the courage to try the middle pedal, making the car stop in the middle of the barn she landed.
She turned the keys to the other side, and the engine stopped making any noise.