• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 747 Views, 107 Comments

Music of My Soul - BronyBrozly



Saxy Tone is an ordinary stallion, a dreamer and most important of all, a musician. Right after he got his cutie mark in music, he decides to aim for the big prize: his name shining in the music industry. But, how far will he go to reach his goal?

  • ...
0
 107
 747

Chapter 6

I was standing in a field of flowers that stretched as far as my eyes could see. Many colorful flowers swayed as I felt a gentle breeze brushed my mane and coat, shivering by its coolness. The ever-wonderful sun bathed the land with warmth and light as the birds flew freely in the wide blue sea above. I took a deep breath, filling my lungs with cool and fresh air. Then, I let out a contentment sigh as my ears twitched, hearing soft giggles carried in the wind.

I turned my head to look and saw a soft pink mare with curly cream colored mane stood behind me. She was wearing a long white gown that fluttered in the wind. Her mane flowed in the gentle breeze as the mare enjoyed the warmth of the sun, closing her eyes in tranquility. Then, I noticed her eyes slowly opened, revealing two beautiful brown orbs that glimmered under the morning sun. Her head turned towards me as a smile slowly crept on her face.

I felt my heart was hammering in my chest, felt butterflies fluttered in my stomach and a smile slowly tugged on my face. I took careful steps towards her as I was mesmerized by her beauty. Then, she turned towards me and broke into a gallop. Her gown and her mane furiously fluttered in the wind as she lunged at me, smiling in joy. I opened my fore hooves wide as I stood on my hind legs, welcoming her to an embrace with a wide smile on my face.

Our bodies touched as I fell backwards, falling onto the flowerbed with an audible pomf. She was standing above me as I was on my back. We giggled while we looked into each others eyes. Her curly mane swayed as a gentle breeze blew passed us, hearing our heart beat echoed in the wind. Then her head slowly inching closer to mine with her eyes closed. I watched her as she was closing in for a kiss, feeling her hot breath brushed my cheeks. Without hesitation, I inched my head closer as well, touching our lips together. The sweet taste of sugar filled my mouth as we passionately kissed.

I felt her head slowly backed away, parting our lips. She had a warm smile on her face, her eyes brimming with tears. “I love you,” her divine voice chimed in my ears as a thousand angels’ voice.

“I love you too,” I whispered back but... I was silent. Her face suddenly turned for confusion, looking at me with doubt in her eyes. I tried to repeat myself yet again but, I still can’t hear my own voice. She slowly backed away from me; tears were rolling down her cheeks as she hid her mouth behind her hoof. No, I mentally screamed as I watched her backed away from me. Don’t leave me, my mind shouted, reaching a hoof towards her. But it was for naught. She kept backing away with sadness filled her eyes. The blue sky above me had been replaced by a slate of dull grey and empty sky. The flowers near me wilted in an unearthly rate and the whispers of the gentle wind were replaced by a howling gale.

“Cotton,” I gasped as my eyes shot open as the buzzing sound of the light above me and its bright orange glow greeted me. I quickly sat up on the couch, clutching my chest. I felt my heart was hammering against my chest with my hoof as I took several deep breaths, filling my lungs with air to clear my murky mind. I tentatively touched a hoof at my cheeks as I felt hot tears dampened them.

“Are you okay?” Cotton’s voice whispered behind me.

“Gyah!” I screamed, leaping off the couch as I turned to look. I saw Cotton’s eyes widened in shock to my ever-so delicate reaction as I also noticed her mane was in a state of disarray.

“Are you okay? I saw you were mumbling in your sleep as if you had a nightma--,” before she could finished her sentence, I immediately lunged towards her into a tight embrace. I felt her body froze to my unexpected hug. “W-what are you doing?” I heard voice stammered in my ears as I tighten my hug, eliciting a soft squeaked from her. At that very moment, I emptied my mind as I listened to my heart. It was beating like crazy; making me realized what were my feelings for her. I knew that if I do it, I can’t turn back. It’s all or nothing.

“I love you,” I whispered as I planted my face onto her shoulders, feeling hot tears rolled from the corner of my eyes. “I love you,” I sniffed, waiting for her to reply but... she didn’t. She kept her silence as she didn’t return my embrace. Then, I suddenly had a glimpse of regret in my mind, thinking that it might be a mistake to reveal my feelings for her at that moment. With that, I slowly released her from my embrace, backing away as I hung my head low. I tried to keep my gaze as low as possible while I tentatively looked at her. My eyes widened as I saw rivers of tears flowed from her eyes with a warm smile plastered on her face. Her lips quivered as she tried to give me a smile, hearing soft whimpers escaped from her mouth.

In a blink of an eye, she lunged at me, returning my embrace as I felt hot tears rolled down my back. I wrapped my hooves around her, pulling our chest closer. We felt our heart beat in unison as she pulled back her head to look at me. “I love you too,” she sniffed. The light pink furs on her cheeks were darkened by her tears as she looked at me with glistening eyes. With that, our face inched closer as our lips touched. The kiss was deep and passionate as a sign of our love. I felt the knots of emotions that were jumbled together in my heart slowly parted away. I finally listened what to my heart wanted to say, liberating me from the miasma of confusion. I felt my heart began to open up as there was somepony that I can show it to. The pony was none other than: Cotton. We slowly parted our lips, breathlessly looked into each others eyes with smiles on our face.

“I love you,” I whispered once again, gently her tears away with a hoof.

“I love you too,” she whispered back as she gave me a soft peck on the cheek while her face was flushed red. I chuckled in response, releasing her from the embrace as I took a step back with a smile on my face.

“This calls for a special breakfast!” she exclaimed excitedly, her eyes sparkled with joy as she clapped her hooves together. It was great to see her that happy. It made my life even better than ever.

“Is it pancakes?” I chuckled as I gave her an amused grin.

“Yes,” she nodded in vigor. “With cupcakes, muffins... ooh! Don’t forget the apple tart,” she mumbled happily to herself, trotting into the kitchen. I chuckled, shaking my head to her antics. I guess... that was her charm that made me fell for her. In the inside, she was a strong mare, keeping herself up even though she lost her parents in such a young age. She often made everypony around her happy and her cooking could make the gloomiest to smile. To me, she was special. “Why are you standing there?” she giggled, popping her head under the doorway as she looked at me with glee in her eyes.

“I’ll be there,” I chuckled, trotting towards the kitchen as she popped back in. That day was the start of a new chapter in my life. I finally had a special somepony to love and I’m inching closer to my foalhood dream. I never felt so happy in my life before and I hoped my life would get better in each passing day. As I entered the kitchen and saw Cotton’s excited face while she was preparing the special breakfast, I had no doubt that my life will be in a smooth sailing from there.


I was leaning back against the chair as I patted my full stomach. I saw Cotton was doing the same across from me with a brilliant smile plastered on her face. The kitchen was accompanied by the soft buzzing sound of the dishwasher doing its job as we enjoyed each others company while we took some rest from breakfast. The breakfast we just had was... amazing. I never ate so many things before. She had prepared a feast for a family to a two ponies breakfast. I had to work overtime to get all the food done, not wanting to waste any of the special cooking. My stomach was like a balloon that was ready to pop in any second. I quickly shook my head as the thought of popping like a balloon scared me.

“Why are you shaking you head?” Cotton giggled behind her hoof.

“I was thinking something silly,” I said while I tried to sit up. The chair under me was making more creaking noises than usual and for that, I was kind of worry that the chair might break in any second. After realizing that, I used my hind legs to support most of my weight off the chair.

“What are you going to do today?” she asked, looking at me with a soft expression on her face.

“I think I am going to the park today. Play a few songs and maybe relax a bit before meeting with the music producer tonight,” I answered, tapping my chin in thought with a smile tugged at the corner of my mouth. It was a good day to just enjoy life and to spend every second of it as much as possible.

“Can I join you?” she asked with a smile so bright even the darkest day couldn’t bring it down. I was elated to know that Cotton was eager enough to spend the rest of the day with me but there was one thing that put a damp to the whole thing...

“What about your work?” I asked with a questioning eyebrow raised onto my forehead. She shook her head with a smile still plastered on her face, her curly bed mane bounced happily in the process.

“I think the workers can manage without me,” she answered as she looked at me with eyes sparkled with joy. I was happy to hear that she wanted to spend the day with me, it brought tears to my eyes. “Besides...” she started once again, looking at me with glimmering eyes and a hidden smile behind a hoof. “I want to spend the first day with my... boyfriend,” she whispered, her face brighten into crimson red.

“I-I’m... glad,” I replied with my head lowered. I felt my cheeks were heating up and my heart was beating in a fast beat in my chest. I had a wide smile on my face while I looked at my hooves below, trying to hide my elation. I perfectly remembered that I just confessed my feelings to her not too long ago but the experience of having somepony else to love and to be loved by was completely new.

I heard the clopping sound of hooves touched the marble floor of the kitchen as Cotton jumped off her chair. Before I could even react, I felt her soft lips touched my cheeks. I looked at her, wide-eyed. I felt my cheeks were heating up more than before. “I’ll head to the shower first,” she whispered in my ears, sending chills down my spine as she gave me a wink. At that point, I was... speechless and couldn’t respond. Instead, I just looked at her until she disappeared from the doorway, hearing her giggles echoed in the next room.

I slowly touched my cheeks where she kissed me with a hoof while my mind wandered into bliss. I felt something different inside of me. I was not the doubt, fear or confusion that clouded my mind in earlier days. It was something... great. I felt a new sense of peace bore inside of me, thinking that there was somepony in the world that loves me for who I am. I felt a lone tear touched my hoof that was still on my cheek. I had a small smile on my lips as I wiped the tear away. I jumped off the chair and stood on all fours, looking at large window across the kitchen. I was bathed by the glow and the warmth of the sun which reflected my feelings pretty well: happy and peaceful. I let a small chuckle escaped my mouth as I gave the golden sun a bow of appreciation. With that, I turned to go, heading towards the main room.

The sound of Cotton’s cheerful hum greeted me from the bathroom as I entered the room. Her voice was like the peaceful sound of wind chime that rang in my ears, bringing new level of peace and serenity into the apartment room. I quietly trotted towards the couch while I drank in Cotton’s voice, listening to her hums echoed throughout the room even though it was a bit muffled. I slowly set my flank down onto leather couch with my eyes closed, drinking in her voice.

I shoved any thoughts away while I listened to her voice echoed in the room, creating a blank canvas in my mind. I immersed myself in every note of her hum. What seems to be a blink of an eye, I saw something began to flash in my mind. Not long after, I saw myself sitting under the tree back at the park. But instead of buildings stood in front of me like they should, I noticed there was an expanding field of grass before me. I heard the sound of leaves rustling above me and the whispers of the wind. I looked to my side and saw Cotton was lying on her back. She was looking at the blue sky above with her fore hooves out stretched to touch the blue canvas above. Her giggles floated in the wind as she turned her head to look at me. Then I watched her rested her hooves onto her belly, looking at me with a bright smile on her face. I noticed her mouth was moving but I didn’t hear what she was saying. After that, she stopped with that brilliant smile still intact. She turned her head back towards the sky, staring into it with peace beamed from her eyes.

My eyes shot open as I felt cold droplets of water dripped onto my lap. I was greeted by Cotton’s smiling face. She was literally inches away from my face, giggling. Her mane was matted on her head as they were still wet with water. The strong scent of strawberry scented shampoo filled my nostrils. She leaned closer and slowly inched her mouth to my left ear. “It’s your turn to take a shower,” she whispered that was followed by a soft giggle. Cotton slowly back away and looked at my with half-lidded eyes. She gave me a seductive wink and playfully flicked my nose with her tail. I felt the blood rushed into my face while my heart was beating furiously. She let out a hearty giggle as she noticed my heated cheeks. “Don’t take too long,” she giggled. At that point, I was unable to speak without blabbering like an idiot and instead, I held my tongue. After that she headed towards her room, adding more swing to her hips than usual as my head followed her. Just before she closed the door to her room, she looked over her shoulder and gave me another wink. I felt a new wave of blood rushed into my cheeks as I slowly sunk myself into the couch, hiding myself from her vision.

I heard she giggled and the door closed in a soft click. That teasing mare, I sighed inwardly, looking at the opened bathroom door across from me. I took a deep breath in attempt to calm my excited heart. My hooves shook slight as I stood up. I inhaled the air around me that was still had Cotton’s scent in it, smelling the sweet scent of strawberry and cotton candy filled my nose. I took a step forward towards the bathroom, fantasizing what the day was going to be like.


The sweet taste of strawberry filled my mouth as I took a greedy lick on my strawberry ice cream cone under the tree at the park. The warm wind and the warmth of the sun caressed my coat, filling me with serenity as I enjoyed my delicious frozen treat. Next to me was Cotton, who was also enjoying her ice cream. She had the same flavor as before: Vanilla. We were leaning against the tree at the park that slightly overlooked the whole place as we quietly enjoyed each others company while eating our ice-cream.

“This is nice,” Cotton spoke up, breaking the silence before she took another lick at her treat with a smile on her face. Her gaze was staring off at the group of fillies that were running around in the grassy park grounds.

“Yeah,” I chuckled as I took a long lick on the ice cream, looking at the restaurant across the street. That’s where I’ll be meeting with the music producer that night. I was nervous, to be honest. I didn’t know what kind of pony he was and that made me a bit more anxious than I needed to. Is he the stern and strict type or the laid back and casual type? I asked myself, absentmindedly licking the strawberry flavored ice cream.

Then I felt the prickling sensation of hair filled my tongue. My eyes darted down to see Cotton chomped down on my ice cream with a smile on her face. She pulled back her head, wiping the residue of the strawberry ice cream from her mouth with a hoof. “Hey! That’s mine!” I whinnied, looking at her with my lips pursed and my brows furrowed.

“What are you going to do about it?” she said in a teasing tone with an amused grin on her face. I felt a smile slowly crept on my face as I lowered my head, hiding my calculating eyes from her.

“Mine!” I screamed as I lunged towards her, aiming at her floating ice cream cone.

“Ah!” she giggled, falling onto her back while she struggled to levitate the ice cream high above me. I quickly put my fore hooves onto her sides and immediately gave her the tickle of a lifetime. She let out a series of hearty laugh as she tried to concentrate on her magic. She was squirming under me, trying to escape my tickling wraith. I didn’t held back and kept on tickling her sides. I looked up and noticed her levitation field was faltering. I immediately stretched my neck towards it, waiting for the right moment. “Nooo!” she giggled with tears started to form in the corner of her eyes as her levitation spell exploded with a small pop, dropping the ice-cream towards me.

I swiftly chomped the ice cream during mid-fall. Then, in an instant, the fur on my neck stood on end by the coldness, sending shivers down my spine. My brain was assaulted by a sharp dagger of chill and my nose went numb. “B-b-brain freeze,” I muttered. I had my hooves clasped on my slowly freezing head, closing my eyes to withhold the short bursts of pain.

“Are you alright?” I heard Cotton’s voice asked that was filled with worry.

“I-I’m fine,” I gasped, looking at her with an eye. I saw she had her head lowered and she was nervously rubbing her hoof. I watched her head turned to look at me, looking at me with an apologetic expression on her face. Her ears drooped on her head and there was a small frown tugged on her face. “Don’t worry, I’m okay,” I chuckled as I stood on all four hooves. I trotted towards her and gave her a peck on the cheeks to assure the mare. Her ears immediately perked up and a smile beamed from her face, returning the gesture.

“Hey, I know you. You’re from the diner!” a voice piped next to us. I turned my head to look and saw a yellow unicorn stallion with spiky orange mane was looking at us with a smile beamed from his face. “Are you going to play in the diner tonight?” he asked. His eyes were beaming with excitement.

“Well, uh...” I started with a sheepish smile on my face as I scratched the back of my head. “I have a meeting tonight with an important pony. So, I can’t,” I answered. I saw his ears drooped in disappointment and his head lowered with a small frown tugged on his lips. “But...” I spoke up. His head perked up once again, looking at me with radiating hope. “I could play now if you want,” I continued, smiling sheepishly.

“That’s so awesome!” he exclaimed excitedly, pumping his hoof in the air. I turned my head to look at Cotton who was standing next to me, giving her an apologetic smile. She just shook her head in respond, smiling. Without uttering a word, she gave me a quick peck on the cheeks as she levitated me my saxophone from its case behind us.

“Thanks,” I whispered, grinning as I felt my cheeks heated up. She just giggled and trotted in front of me, standing in a crowd that was slowly converging before me. I slung my saxophone strap onto my shoulder and stood on both hind legs, looking at the curious and excited faces of passersby and the crowd. But my eyes were focusing on one thing... or in this case, one mare: Cotton. She was silently supporting me through her eyes. I shot her a smile and closed my eyes. I listened to the music in my soul and slowly put my lips on the mouthpiece.

I took a deep breath and poured my soul into the music. The note came out strong and true, like the love resided in my heart. I mixed my love and passion into it as my notes floated in the wind throughout the park. I was fully immersed myself to the music, swaying my body to the melody and tapped my hoof in a beat. My hooves danced on the brass keys, hitting every note with precision and gusto. I slowly opened my eyes to look into the crowd and saw Cotton was swaying her body to my music with a smile that was beaming with tranquility. I let out a smile on my own as I bobbed my head to the melody, feeling the music flowed through me. I felt my body slowly relaxed as the last note came out slow and smooth.

Then the sound of excited stomps and hollered cheers filled the park. I shot a sheepish smile to the crowd while I balanced myself on my hind legs. I gave them a bow and stood back all on four hooves. I noticed Cotton immediately lunged towards me and gave me a flying hug, hearing her giggles rang in my ears.

“That was amazing,” she gasped in excitement, wide-eyed when she looked into my eyes. She had her mouth opened in awe, looking at me with disbelief in her eyes. “Where that came from?” she asked, gazing deeply into my blue eyes. I can see my own reflection in her glistening brown orbs. I let out an amused grin, chuckling.

“From my heart,” I said softly, nuzzling her in the neck. Her face suddenly brightened into crimson red as she returned the gesture.

“You’re great with your saxophone,” a familiar voice chuckled. We turned our head to look and saw Lyra was approaching us. Then she stopped mid-pace, looking at us with a confused look. “Am I interrupting something?” A slap of realization hit me on my cheeks and maybe Cotton realized it too as we quickly released ourselves from the embrace, smiling sheepishly at the dispersing crowd.

“N-no, it’s fine,” I stammered. I felt my cheeks were heating up, noticing I was nuzzling with Cotton in public. I knew that it was completely normal between ponies in relationship, but I thought it might be more of a private matter. I took quick tentative glances to my side and saw Cotton had the same shade of red on her cheeks, lowering her head to hide her coy smile.

“So,” I heard Lyra spoke up, returning my attention back to her. “This is you...” she trailed off to let me fill in the blanks, looking at Cotton with curious eyes and a questioning eyebrow.

“Cotton, my... girlfriend,” I answered softly, smiling sheepishly in return.

“Nice to meet you,” Cotton spoke up. She took several steps forward and lifted up a hoof. She had a warm smile on her face and she was openly blushing to the mint colored unicorn mare. I watched them both as Lyra’s face slowly softens. Then she giggled behind her hoof.

“Nice to meet you too, I’m Lyra Heartstrings,” she said, shaking Cotton’s hoof in a hoofshake. “So,” she spoke up again, breaking the hoofshake as she took a step back. “You two finally solved the confusion between the both of you, huh?” she asked with an amused grin.

“Y-yeah,” I nodded, chuckling.

“Congrats,” Lyra giggled. Then, I watched as Lyra gave Cotton an encouraging wink. The pink unicorn mare just blushed even brighter in respond.

“Are you performing again today?” I spoke up, looking at Lyra with a smile beaming from my face. I was excited to see if she’s going to perform again because her music was something amazing. Listening to her performance would be a bonus to my already amazing day.

“Well, actually no. I’m here just for a walk, that’s all,” she answered, scratching the back of her head with a sheepish grin. “But by a stroke of good fortune, I managed to see you perform in return,” she added excitedly, motioning her hoof in a sweeping gesture. My head locked on to Cotton who was trotted towards me, listening intently to our conversation. She stood beside me, staring at Lyra with an unreadable gaze.

“Um..,” I started, looking at Lyra with a smile. “I hope that you liked my performance.”

“I love it! It was amazing,” she replied, chuckling.

“Are you doing anything today?” I asked in return. I extended my hoof towards Cotton and grabbed her closer to my side. I managed to make her elicited a surprised squeak as she looked at me with her lips pursed, blushing brightly.

“I don’t know yet. Why?” Lyra asked with confusion plastered on her face.

“Well, Cotton and I were just thinking about having a picnic, and it would be great if you could join us. We can get to know each other a bit better,” I answered. With that, Cotton’s horn let out a brown glow, levitating a picnic basket that sat next to the tree towards us. The delicious smell of apple pie and various other baked good wafted into the air around us. I heard my stomach let out a soft grumble when I started to think about food.

“I guess I can hang out,” Lyra spoke as she scratched her hoof nervously with a sheepish smile on her face.

“We’ll have tons of fun,” I heard Cotton excitedly piped up next to me. I watched as her horn glowed once again, setting up the blanket onto the ground below the tree and swiftly arranged the food and drinks in place.

“Let’s eat,” I chuckled, giving Lyra an inviting nod. With that, Cotton and I trotted together to our spot with Lyra in tow. Then, the picnic started. The food that was prepared by Cotton was still fresh, as if they were just out of the oven. While we were enjoying the food, all of us began to tell stories about ourselves and our experiences in life – but Cotton and I cut out the gloomy part. Well, since we didn’t want to ruin the happy vibe.

From the conversation that we had, Cotton and I learned that Lyra was... let’s say; a mare who likes other mares. She didn’t feel ashamed for telling us that and in return, we didn’t protest nor bashed her for it. Instead, we respected her honesty and choice. Truth be told: she didn’t know that we would be as accepting in first glance but... looks can be deceiving I guess. I respect other ponies’ opinions and choices if they respect mine in return. Life is more of a give and take in my opinion and needs more compromise in every decision.

Anyway, we learned a bit about Lyra but we didn’t ask her anything on how she got her cutie mark. Not because we were not interested, but because we didn’t want to bring any unnecessary dark memories from the past. As time went on, laughter and giggles filled the air around the tree that stood above us where we forged a stronger bond as friends. I looked at the orange sky as the sun slowly gave way for the moon, thanking the goddess for gracing me a wonderful day and silently prayed that nothing could ever change that.

Author's Note:

If you see any glaring mistakes, throw a brick at me to let me know.