• Published 25th Dec 2012
  • 747 Views, 107 Comments

Music of My Soul - BronyBrozly



Saxy Tone is an ordinary stallion, a dreamer and most important of all, a musician. Right after he got his cutie mark in music, he decides to aim for the big prize: his name shining in the music industry. But, how far will he go to reach his goal?

  • ...
0
 107
 747

Chapter 2

I was standing on a grassy hill that overlooked Ponyville’s cemetery. The usual cheerful blue sky had been replaced by a blanket of angry clouds, grumbling in the distance as I saw flashes of lightning brighten the sky in the horizon. The warmth of Celestia’s sun was no more, only to be replaced by the cold and heavy droplets of rain, drenching my coat and mane. The sensation of cold prickling fingers of the rain and the violent howling wind that brushed against my coat reflected my inner feelings: empty, alone and cold.

I saw a group of ponies who wore black and dark clothes stood around a grave as I saw my father walked towards it with a bouquet of pink roses in his mouth. His tears and the rain mixed together as he looked at my mother’s grave with his red eyes. I felt hot tears rolled down my cheeks as I my gaze fell onto the grave, listening to my glass heart break into tiny pieces with a soft crack echoed in the back of my mind. My heart ached as if it was burning in a cauldron of hot oil and... the dam inside me broke. I felt the cascade of hot tears streamed out from my eyes as I cried, wailed, shrieked and bellowed into the dark sky, pounding the grassy hill with a hoof.

“Whyy?!” I yelled into the dark clouds above through blurry vision. “W-hyyyy?!” I screamed as I bawled on top of the hill, letting the coldness of the rain numbed my aching heart. “Mother!” I screamed until my lungs felt like they were burning in my chest and my throat getting hoarse. “Mother!” The dark sky only grumbled in return.

“Mother,” I gasped; my eyes shot open as I felt hot tears dampened my cheeks and the back of my neck. I was greeted by the buzzing sound of the light above me, bathing me with its orange glow. “I-it... it was a dream,” I breathed as I sat up, wiping the tears away with a hoof. My head groggily scanned around the room, slowly realizing that I was alone. I also noticed that my saxophone’s case was sitting next to the front door and Cotton’s bedroom door was still closed. I guess, I woke up too early, I pondered as I looked around the windowless room. I saw a wall clock hung above the bathroom door in the corner of my eyes and noticed that it was seven o’clock in the morning.

I let out shuddering sigh as I brushed my mane with a hoof, looking into the distance. What was the dream all about? I asked myself, my eyes darted frantically to search for an answer but... to no avail. Then, I felt that my heart was still hammering inside my chest in alarm as I clutched my chest with a hoof, the feeling of anxiety and fear slowly grew inside me. I quickly took a deep breath as I closed my eyes, filling my lungs with fresh ai--. Wait a minute, I thought as I sniffed the air once more. I noticed the scent of pancakes wafted from the kitchen on my right as I saw a beam of light peeked through the small opening of the door.

I grunted as I stood up, sneaking towards the door. Just before I reached it, my ears twitched as they were graced by a divine sound. It was... Cotton’s voice! Her voice was soft as the silk, smooth like diamond and sweet like cotton candy. She was not even singing, she was just humming a tune as she was – I assumed – making pancakes. I slowly leaned against the wall near the kitchen door, listening to her angelic voice as I closed my eyes in bliss. I felt my worries, fears and doubts slowly faded away as I felt my heartstrings plucked in every note of her voice yet... there was a distant pain hidden in her tune. If I had to compare her voice to a sound of an instrument, I would compare it to the pure and sweet sound of the harp as the hoof of a professional harpist danced on its strings.

“Ahem,” I heard her voice coughed next to me as my eyes shot opened in alarmed once again. My head quickly turned to look at her and saw that I was greeted with a smile.

“I-I was just... uh. Trying to find my contact lenses. Yeah! That’s it. My contact lenses,” I stammered as I quickly pretended to look for my imaginative contact lenses on the carpeted floor by combing it, laughing nervously. I felt the blood rushed into my cheeks and my heart hammered in my chest once again.

“Uh-huh,” she hummed with an amused grin plastered on her face; her brown orbs were looking at me with radiating glee as she had a spatula wrapped in brown magical glow floated behind her. “Well, after you find your contact lenses, I had breakfast prepared,” she chuckled as she entered the kitchen.

I let out a sigh, my ears drooped in embarrassment. Darn it, I mentally scolded myself. I stood up on all four hooves and pulled open the kitchen window. I quickly put a hoof between my eyes and the blinding light, squinting in pain. My eyes slowly adjusted to the light as I slowly put my hoof down, looking at the small kitchen. It was half the size of the main room. It had a light pink tiled floor with cream colored wallpaper – which was a pleasant to look at. Across from me was a large window that overlooked the rising sun in the horizon and under it was an ordinary stove, oven and dishwasher lined along the wall. To the wall on the right had shelves and cupboards of ingredients and other cooking items lined along it as well. It was cramped but... still sufficed to fit a few small ponies.

Then I noticed a small dining table with two chairs faced each other sat in the middle of the kitchen. A tall stack of pancakes sat in the middle of the table, wafting its delicious smell throughout the small space. “Have a seat,” Cotton’s voice rang as she set plates onto the table, along with forks and knives by levitating them.

“Thank you,” I said as I gave my head a nod, walking towards the table. I sat down next to the table and the chair let out a whiny creak as it wobble slightly. I think she needs new furniture, I thought to myself, looking at the old wooden chair.

“Please, eat as much as you like,” she giggled, attracting my attention back towards her. She was sitting across from me, looking at me with a smile. I guess she was waiting for me to start.

“Thanks,” I chuckled with a sheepish smile, placing a couple of pancakes onto my plate. I stared at it, sniffing its wonderful scent once again as my eyes rolled in bliss. I heard Cotton giggled at my childish behavior as I snapped back into reality. “Sorry, I was being silly,” I chuckled with a sheepish smile still intact to my face as I nervously scratched the back of my neck.

“Don’t be,” she giggled, levitating a bottle of maple syrup to me. “It’s cute,” she added, smiling. I felt a cord in my heart plucked with a soft ding echoed in my mind. I nodded as I reached for the bottle, trying my best not to blush. I took the bottle in my hooves and flicked the lid open with a clack, pouring the sweet maple syrup onto my stack of pancakes. I let my eyes looked up and saw she was placing her stack of pancakes onto her plates, silently humming a tune with a gentle smile beamed from her face. The ray of light behind her gave the impression that she was an angel that graced me with her presence. If she was a pegasus, that would be even more fitting, I thought to myself as a smile tugged at the corner of my lips.

I placed the syrup bottle in front of Cotton’s reach as I stabbed the fork into the pancakes. I lifted a whole pancake and shoved it into my mouth with vigor. Then, my eyes widened upon eating it. It was spongy and in every bite, I felt a party of deliciousness exploded in my mouth. I let out a throaty chuckle, my eyes rolled in happiness. I indulged myself by slowly chewing the soft pancake, letting the sweetness of the maple syrup joined the party. I heard her soft giggle chimed in my ears. With that, we continued eating our breakfast with a few idle chats in between.


Breakfast was delicious and I was wholeheartedly surprised by Cotton’s astounding cooking – albeit she worked in a diner. But still, her cooking was great. Almost as great as her voice. I was sitting lazily on the chair, patting my satisfied and – for the first time in a week – filled stomach. Cotton placed the plates and pans into the dishwasher and turned it on with a flick of a switch as it buzzed into life. Then, she trotted to the table, sitting across from me.

“Aren’t you late for work?” I asked as my head scanned for a clock.

“I’m taking a day off today,” she said as she placed her head onto her hooves, looking at me.

“And your boss is not going to get angry or anything?” I asked again, looking at her with a questioning eyebrow. She giggled in response.

“Well, since I’m the owner of the diner... I guess I don’t mind taking a day off,” she explained, looking at me with a wide smile on her face. I resisted the urge to kiss my hoof onto my forehead.

Of course! Sweet ‘Cotton’s’ diner, I mentally screamed to myself, feeling a bit foolish. “O-oh,” I replied, smiling nervously as I brushed the mane on my neck. “So... um, how about the other workers?” I asked again, placing my hoof onto the table.

“I already gave them an early notice before you arrived last night,” she answered with a sage-like nod. Then a bright smile cracked onto her lips, looking at me with earnest. “How about you? What are you going to do today?” she asked as she once again placed her head on to her hooves, leaning closer to me.

“I was planning to try to find a talent scout today but... I don’t know how,” I answered, tapping my chin in thought as I looked into the distance. I felt my eyes welled up with tears a bit as the blinding light from the window hurt my eyes. I blinked the tear away, readjusting my eyes to the light.

“How about we have some fun?” she suggested as her head perked up and her eyes beamed with excitement, her mane bounced as a result.

“W-what?” I blabbered like an idiot, looking at her with a surprised expression plastered on my face. “Well..,” I started, looking away from her. “I guess I can take a break today from the search for a talent scout,” I continued, mumbling in thought.

“Great!” she excitedly exclaimed as she jumped out from her chair, trotting passed me.

“Where are you going?” I asked as my head followed her until she was out of the kitchen.

“I’m going to take a shower,” her muffled voice rang from the bathroom. “No peeking,” she intoned in a teasing tone. I felt the blood rushed into my cheeks once again. I sighed, jumping off the chair. I trotted towards the leather couch and flopped my sorry flank onto it, sighing once again. Then my ears perked up, hearing a familiar sweet voice. The pitter-patter of the shower and her voice created a unique orchestra. Her tone flowed smoothly as I felt excitement and relaxation at the same time.

I leaned against the couch as I closed my eyes, hearing her voice chimed throughout the room. Then images started to pop into an empty canvas; which was my mind. I saw a wide lush field of grass spanned into the horizon – safe only for a big tree with its branches that were filled with life, stood out among the flatland. I felt the gentle breeze brushed lightly against my coat as my mane fluttered in the wind. The sound of rustling grass and the whispers of the wind filled my ears. Then, I squinted my eyes as saw a family of ponies stood under the tree next to a wooden swing that was hung under the branches of the mighty tree.

I saw a brown unicorn stallion who had spiky green mane put a young soft pink unicorn filly with cream colored mane on the swing. Then the pink filly let out a hearty laugh as her father pushed the swing, propelling her into the air. Her cream colored mane fluttered in the wind and her giggles were carried into the distance, filling the emptiness of the flatland with even more life. A yellow coated mare with pink mane sat on the grass, lovingly looking at her daughter’s happy face as her father continuously pushed the swing.

“Hey,” a voice whispered as I felt a nudge on my side. I groggily opened my eyes and was greeted with Cotton’s smile. Her mane was still wet as she just got out of shower. “What were you thinking while you were closing your eyes with a grin on your face?” she asked, giggling.

“I was just thinking about a precious memory, that’s all,” I answered with a knowing smile on my face.

“Well, whatever it is, it’s time for you to take a shower,” she said, walking towards her room. “Don’t take long showers, okay?” she chuckled as she closed the door with a click. I shook my head with a grin plastered on my face as I headed towards the shower.


The soothing warmth of the sun above me and the gentle caress of the wind lightly touched my coat as we were walking in a park near the center of Manehattan city. The flat grassy park was out of place from the tall and grey buildings that stood around it as if the buildings were a great big wall that were closing in the only piece of nature left within the city.

The sound of laughter filled the park as I saw many colorful fillies and colts running around the grassy slopes and hills. The trees that were scattered around the park let out rustling sounds as a gentle breeze blew. “Eep,” I heard Cotton’s voice squeaked as she held down her white sundress hat from flying off in the wind. She was wearing a white gown with sunflower patterns on it, which fluttered in the gentle breeze. Her gown complimented her soft pink coat and cream colored mane. Then, her head turned to look at me; her brown eyes glimmered under the sunlight.

“Yes?” I asked, smiling.

“Aren’t you tired?” she asked with a worried expression. I gave her a questioning eyebrow in return. Then, she pointed at the saxophone case that I was carrying in my mouth. Now, when she mentioned it, my jaw does feel a bit sore, I thought to myself, looking into the colts and fillies galloping in front of us.

“I’m fine,” I chuckled, as I looked at her with a smile on my face.

“If you say so,” she said with worry still showing in her eyes. My eyes quickly darted around the park to change the subject.

“Hey,” I spoke up, pointing at a ice-cream cart approaching in front of us. “Let’s go buy some ice cream,” I suggested, smiling at the worried mare. She nodded in return; her eyes sparkled with excitement once more. With that, we trotted towards the cart. As we approached it, we saw a lot of variety of ice-cream flavors that were presented to us.

“What flavors do you want?” the ice-cream seller asked, looking at the both of us with a smile. The seller was a green coated pegasus mare with a bright yellow flowing mane.

“Vanilla,” Cotton excitedly exclaimed as the ice-cream seller chuckled in response, handing her a scoop of vanilla ice-cream cone.

“How about you, sir?” the seller asked again, looking at me.

“Strawberry,” I simply replied simply, nodding.

“Here you go,” the seller said as she handed my requested ice-cream cone. “That’ll be two bits,” she added, smiling.

“Um... could you?” I muttered as I looked at Cotton, handing my ice-cream cone. She silently nodded with a smile as she levitated my desert for me. I set down my saxophone case, opening it with a click as I picked the only bits I had. “Here you go,” I said as I handed the payment. The mare nodded with a smile on her face and pushed her cart passed us.

“Here’s your ice-cream,” Cotton giggled, levitating my desert towards me.

“Thanks,” I chuckled as I gave the ice-cream a lick. The sweet frozen dairy strawberry flavor exploded on my tongue as I let out a shiver. Eating a cold treat during a hot day was always an enjoyment to behold. Cotton was also enjoying her treat as she gave her frozen delight a greedy lick. “How about we find a place to sit?” I suggest. Because eating while standing in the middle of the park seems a bit odd to be honest.

“Where should we sit?” she asked, her head scanning the park around us.

“There,” I spoke up as I pointed to a big tree which provided a generous amount of shade on top of a small hill. I looked at her as she nodded. Then, we quickly trotted towards the tree with our ice-cream carefully balanced on our hoof. We let out a sigh as we sat under the cool shade of the tree, continuing to lick our frozen treats. In front of us were a group of fillies and colts who were enjoying a picnic with their parents as giggles of glee filled the air.

“Thank you,” Cotton whispered beside me as she gazed into the park, absentmindedly licking her ice-cream cone.

“For what?” I chuckled as I gave her a questioning eyebrow.

“For treating me,” she said as I saw a small smile tugged onto the corner of her lip.

“It’s nothing,” I said as I took a big and final bite onto the ice-cream, shivering by its coldness. Then I heard she giggled. I looked at her and I saw she had this... warm and gentle smile beamed from her face. But her face slowly turned solemn and sad.

“No, it’s not nothing,” she whispered, looking away. “You spent your only bits to buy me an ice-cream,” she added, her voice had a hint of sadness. I gave a hearty laugh as she looked at me with a confused look on her face, her eyes glistened with tears.

“I can get those back when I’m a famous musician,” I chuckled as I gave her a wink. For a split second, I thought I saw she blushed as she looked away with a coy smile tugged on her lips. Then, to my surprise, she took a big bite of the ice-cream like I did and her face scrunched by the coldness. I let out another hearty laugh, falling onto my back as I held my side with a hoof. She looked at me as she turned into a delightful shade of red, trying to control her embarrassment. Then she harrumphed, raising her head into the sky as she blushed.

“Sorry,” I said between bated breaths as I tried my best to stifle my laugh, wiping a tear from my eyes.

“Hump!” she snorted, clearly blushing as she looked away.

“That’s cute,” I whispered as I sat back up, looking into the distance in front of us. I didn’t see if she reacted because from there... we went silent. But, it was not an awkward type of silence. It was... different and comforting. We were enjoying each others company as we gaze towards the ponies who were leaving the park. The sound of rustling leaves above us filled the comforting silence, the breeze gently brushed against our coats and manes and the warmth of the sun caressed our body.

“Do you think I had a beautiful voice?” she spoke up softly as she set down her sundress hat onto the grass, letting her mane flutter in the wind.

“Yes,” I answered simply with a smile on my face. Then I felt pressure on my left shoulder as she leaned next to me, her gaze looked into the distance with a shy smile plastered on her face.

“Thank you,” she whispered, closing her eyes.

“No, thank you,” I whispered back as I closed my eyes, leaning towards her. I felt the warmth when our coats touched together – which was better than the sun’s warm touch. We kept our silence, listening to our beating hearts echoed in the wind. I felt something in my chest that was completely alien to me. It was a mixture of happiness, warmth, determination and hope wrapped into one and... I liked it. I had a wide smile cracked on my face as time went on. I was slowly dragged into slumber of comfort and before I was fully asleep I heard a soft whisper next to me but I didn’t hear what it was. Then, I entered into the land of beautiful dreams.

Author's Note:

Like before: If you notice any glaring mistake, slap me at the back of my neck. Also, other characters will be introduced as the story progresses.