• Published 25th Jan 2013
  • 3,959 Views, 309 Comments

Last - Alan Smithee



The rise of ponies, the future of Equestria and the last human.

  • ...
26
 309
 3,959

Forgiveness

Twilight and her pony friends were gathered at the edge of the Everfree Forest, on a dirt road leading to Ponyville. They were all were relieved to hear that Princess Celestia had to reschedule her visit. The Princess was standing before her regal chariot, facing them.
Not far away, a parade of small, flying insects was proceeding rhythmically into the Forest. The jaunty sound of Pinkie’s instruments filled the air.

“Haven’t you learned anything about friendship?” Celestia asked.

Twilight looked at Pinkie. “Actually, I have. I’ve learned that sometimes the solution to your problems can come from where you least expect it. It’s a good idea to stop and listen to your friends’ ideas and perspectives”

CRASH went Pinkie’s cymbals. Everypony cringed.

“...even when they don’t always seem to make sense”

“I’m so proud of you, Twilight Sparkle, and I’m very impressed with your friends as well. It sounds like you’re all learning so much from each other”

The chariot began to move.

“Thank you, Princess”

Pinkie Pie appeared out of thin air. “Hey, what happened to the Princess?”

“An emergency in Phillydelphia.” Twilight siad.

“Some sort of...infestation.” added Rainbow Dash.

“Oh, no! Have they got parasprites too? Well, have tuba, will travel!” Pinkie was getting ready to play again. Twilight stopped her.

“I think the princess can handle it.”

“So you knew what those critters were all along, huh, Pinkie Pie?” Applejack asked.

“Well, DUH! Why do you think I was so frantic to get my hooves on all these instruments? I tried to tell you...”

“We know, Pinkie Pie, and we’re sorry we didn’t listen” said Twilight apologetically.

The other four ponies chimed in to give their own apology.

“You’re a great friend, even if we don’t always understand you” Twilight continued.

“Thanks, guys! You’re all great friends, too, even when I don’t understand me”

“You saved my reputation with Princess Celestia, and more importantly, you saved Ponyville!”


Later, while sitting amid the rubble of Ponyville, Twilight would add, “...or not”


Simon half-awoke, and half-opened his eyes. He was not the least bit surprised, then, to see Glinda, the Good Witch of the North, standing before him, replete in her Technicolor bubble.

“Are you a good witch, or a bad witch?” she asked.

He didn’t bother to answer.

He allowed his eyes to focus. The image of Glinda resolved into a much more impressive sight. It was a four-legged creature, like Twilight in many ways, but taller, and brighter in colour. If Twilight was an angel, he thought, then this creature must be a Seraph. She towered above him in a way he wasn’t at all sure he liked.

“Simon, I presume” she said casually.

He nodded.

“I am Princess Celestia. I am the ruler of Equestria. I understand you met my student, Twilight Sparkle.”

He nodded.

“And that said meeting didn’t end well.”

Again, he nodded.

She smiled. “I understand. These things happen.”

With this comment, Simon felt completely at ease.

"Simon, I realize that you and my student had... let's say a rough start, but I would ask that you forgive her rashness. I am afraid she still has very much to learn about the world around her."

Simon got up. His head came about halfway up her neck. He walked down the length of the ship to stretch his legs. She walked with him. His boots clanked loudly on the hull of the ship. Celestia didn’t make any sound.

Every muscle in his body felt like it had a cramp. He walked with an awkward shuffle, and every step made him grimace. He reached down and squeezed his calf. It felt like a rock. He bent over and touched his toes to try and stretch them out. The muscles in his back resisted, and soon he was too tired to stand. He sat down gracelessly, folding his legs. Celestia appeared beside him. Her height was truly imposing, until she gently lowered herself, folding her legs in front of herself. She was still a head taller than him. She looked out into the forest.

“Equestria is a good place. We are happy and safe. Not like here. Here is where the vicious, the ignorant, the reclusive and outcast come to live life as they see fit…”

Something flew past Simon’s head. He ducked, and then turned to see that it was a big, fat, pink locust sitting comfortably on Celestia’s side. He made hastily for his lighter, but the sudden spreading of Celestia’s wings stilled his hand. Her expression turned piercingly serious.

“...and where they have every right to do so. We are all children of the Universe. We all have a right to be here. I understand why you would seek reparation from such a destructive life. But this is not your world, Simon.”

Simon put his hands on his thighs. Celestia’s wings retracted, her face softened, and the locust flew off into the woods.

“In Equestria we believe, simply, that our greatest asset is friendship. Without each other, we are nothing. You are nothing.”

Simon furrowed his brow. Celestia stood up.

“In time, you will come to understand. In the spirit of friendship, I ask that you admit to Twilight Sparkle your mistake. Should she forgive you, I sense you will find in her a true friend.”

With that, she leapt off the ship, gliding gracefully to the forest floor. “If you wish to to see Twilight again, follow me” She walked away.

Simon didn’t hesitate; he got on his feet, clamored down the wing of his ship, jumped, and, ignoring the shock to his knees, ran after her.


Simon could have easily justified his decision to follow Celestia using his years of study of logic: The suspected consequences of returning to Twilight was preferable to the completely unknown consequences of any other action. Furthermore, it was perfectly rational given the situation that being on good terms Twilight was certainly advantageous, that in a situation such as his he needed as many friends as he could get, and as few enemies as he could help having. Probability, game theory and common sense all supported his decision.

None of this had crossed his mind until the long walk through the forest forced his mind to idle musings. He didn’t hide from himself the fact that he was going back because it was the right thing to do.

He had trouble keeping up with Celestia. Her long strides and quick pace combined with the cramps in his legs made him worry he would be unable to make the unknown distance.

Instead of travelling through the scar made by the fire, Celestia led him straight north, where the forest was healthy. The canopy darkened their path. Celestia almost glowed in the darkness. Simon stumbled and tripped and fell, but Celestia glided through as though the forest itself gave way to her.

He wished he could talk to her.


They reached the edge of the forest. Celestia stopped at the edge. She said nothing. Simon stepped out into the open. The sun was setting in the west. To the west were the silhouettes of two four-legged creatures.

“Good luck, Simon” Celestia said softly. He turned. She was gone.

Simon was still for a moment. He stepped back into the forest, and emerged with a long, thick branch.

He headed towards the silhouettes, reasoning that Celestia had meant him to. As he came closer he saw that one was Twilight. She and her companion were mending a fence.
Twilight had a hammer in her mouth and was attempting to drive home a nail. With the first stroke, the hammer flew out of her mouth and landed on the far side of the fence. Twilight puckered her lips; she’d hurt her teeth.

“It’s okay, Twi,” the orange one said, “You can use yer horn if ya need to.”

Twilight shook her head and began to reach through the fence for her hammer as she answered. “No, no. I can learn to do this the right way, just like everypony else.” Twilight rubbed a sore spot on her jaw. “Even if it does cost me a few extra bits in dental.” She craned her neck through the fence, reaching for the hammer.

“Aw shoot Twi, as long as it gets done it… Issat Simon?” Applejack raised a hoof to wave. “Howdy Simon!

Simon?!” Twilight echoed. She tried to pull her head out from between the fence-posts, but got stuck. She pulled harder and yanked her head through with enough force to send her stumbling backwards and falling onto her back. “Wh-what are you doing here?”

Simon held out a hand to silence her. He raised his branch. He saw her flinch. He stooped to the ground and wrote, clearly as he could:

IM SORRY

Twilight stared at these words a long time.

The orange angel looked at Twilight, then at Simon, and cleared her throat.

Twilight seemed to awaken from a trance. She walked up to Simon. “Are you really sorry?” she asked quietly.

Simon nodded.

“I...forgive you,” she said.

Simon felt a smile on his lips he didn’t recall putting there.

Her lips quivered. Suddenly, she rushed up to him and embraced him. It took all his willpower not to push her off. “I’m sorry, too! I should have tried to understand what you were saying! Please forgive me!” She looked up at him with shimmering eyes.

He nodded.

She let go of him and turned to her companion.

“Applejack, do you mind if I take Simon home?”

Applejack gave the two a look. “Uh… No, not at all, Twilight.”


Simon stomped down the stairs to the basement. He looked at the bed, and saw that the locusts had devoured the sheets.

The weight on his shoulders was becoming unbearable. He removed the outer layers of his clothing - his olive-drab greatcoat and his jacket bulged at the seams with everything he had managed to force into his pockets as the fire bore down on his ship. Though it had only been two days, the fire already felt like a distant memory. His boots came off next, followed by his soggy socks.

Underneath that he wore a plain, green long-sleeved shirt, and under that a white undershirt that was no doubt drenched in sweat.

Simon felt his holster at his side and hesitated taking it off. Inside his holster, beside the gun, was a yellowed piece of paper with a series of tally marks, each mark representing a bullet fired. There were nine five-tallies and two left over. Forty-seven.

He’d carried his gun every day for the last three years. It’s solidity and weight comforted him. It had kept him safe, though at times it hadn’t been as good to him as he’d hoped. He stroked his crumpled throat.

And yet the idea he’d need it now, when Twilight had done so much to help him, seemed absurd. With surprising difficulty, he unhooked his holster and buried it under his other things. Without their weight he felt light enough to float.


Simon emerged from the basement about half an hour later. For an instant, Twilight didn’t recognize him. His face was clean shaven. His hair, though still mussy, was clean. His bulky outer clothes were gone, showing his pale, skinny arms.

“I’ve set up some paper and a quill for you over here.” She gestured towards a simple podium with a stool.

Simon nodded, walked to it, and sat down. Twilight was standing over him. Her excitement was palpable.

Simon drew the quill from the inkwell - in a field such as mathematics when ideas can strike at any time, he’d improvised many unusual writing implements, yet the feeling of the quill was like nothing he’d ever experienced - and put it to the parchment. Twilight quivered in anticipation. He wrote,

Hello

Twilight blinked. “Hello…” she replied disappointedly.

What should we talk about?

“Uh….” She pawed the ground.

They stared at one another for a long time. At last, Twilight built up the courage to ask,
“What are you?”

Simon stared at her in disbelief. Twilight felt as though she’d said something very inappropriate. She dropped her ears and backed away a pace.

“I’m sorry. I really don’t know what you are.”

Simon took a deep breath. He turned to his parchment, and wrote:

I’m a human being. What are you?

Twilight read this. She didn’t know what a human being was. She decided not to tell Simon yet and answer his question.

“I’m a pony.”

In an instant, Simon was right in front of her, his nose inches from hers. His blinkless stare examined every inch of her. He grabbed her muzzle and turned her head from side to side. He pulled her ears back and forward. He ran his fingers through her mane. He grabbed her front legs and lifted her off her front hooves to look at the bottom of them. He grabbed her muzzle again and forced her jaw open to look inside.

“Sihon, I think this is an inhasion of persohal sace" Twilight slurred.

Simon continued staring at her teeth, watching the movement of her throat as she talked. His hand was on his flashlight when the meaning of her words got through to him. He felt his face turn hot. He let her go, and covered his face.

Twilight seized the opportunity to ask Simon a difficult question.

“So, where do human beings come from?”

Simon looked at her. She smiled encouragingly.

He stood up, returned to his podium, and answered her.

When I left, humans inhabited more territory than any other land mammal. This area was very densely populated.

The word “Left” stuck out to Twilight.

“Left? Where? When?”

Simon answered the second question first.

Three Thousand years ago

“WHAT?!” she shouted into his ear. Simon cringed.

“How is that possible? You’re three thousand years old? Where have you been? Why can’t you…” Twilight was silenced by a purple claw. A small, scaly creature Simon hadn’t seen when he came in had a hold of Twilight’s lips.

“One question at a time, Twilight.” He let her go. She blushed, and looked to Simon for a response. He didn’t give one. He stared at Spike.

“Simon…”

Who are you? he asked him.

“My name’s Spike! I’m a dragon!” he exclaimed proudly.

Simon blinked. He took a deep breath.

Dragon he wrote.

“Yup!”

He stared at Spike even longer. Another deep breath. He looked at Twilight, who was still bursting with questions.

I was sent to explore a planet outside of the solar system. My mission was intended to take 100 years. However, for reasons not clear to me, I arrived about three months ago

“Then what happened to the humans?”

You tell me. When did ponies begin talking?

The conversation had almost too many revelations for her to handle. “You mean, ponies didn’t always talk?”

Simon shook his head vigorously.

When I left, humans were the only animals that could talk

He thought, then added:

Dolphins have language. Dolphins and humans can talk
He thought again, and added:

Dragons were fictional. Trust me when I tell you they did not exist in any other form Another pause.

Why do you have a horn?

Spike arched an eyebrow. “Who, me?”

Simon shook his head and pointed at Twilight, who looked at Simon with about as much understanding as Spike had managed.

“I’m a unicorn pony.”

Simon stared at her for a moment before burying his head in his hands.

I need to go to bed

“What? Why?”

Simon was already halfway to the door.

“Wait! You just got-”

Slam!

“...back.”

Twilight hung her head.

“What do you think that was about?” Spike asked in an offended tone.

“I don’t know, Spike. I hope Simon’s okay”

Simon opened the door again. His back was straight. He shuffled over to the podium and, without sitting down, wrote something. He stood straight again. Twilight thought she saw tears in his eyes. He turned back around, crossed the room, and closed the door.

Spike and Twilight both approached the paper and read:


I want to go home

Author's Note:

This concludes the "Sleep" trilogy, so named because all three chapters end with Simon sleeping.

I wanted to get this chapter done. So I told Admari we should set a date, and on that date we shall get the chapter completely finished.

He said, "How about Sunday?" and I said Sunday wasn't good for me because I'm meeting with some friends to go see a screening of Serenity most of the day and wouldn't be available.
Then he said "How about Saturday?" and I said I was meeting with my cousin but that I should be available after 5. So we started at five and we got this done in about 3 or 4 hours, between breaks to watch Mystery Science Theater 3000 and Firefly.

And then Admari proposed that Simon take up a career in dentistry.

Next chapter is "Three Months of Winter Coolness" and it will hopefully be over before the actual winter coolness is over.