• Published 19th Dec 2012
  • 947 Views, 34 Comments

Something New - VilkaTheWolf



Rainbow Dash tries to make another Pinkie but what she gets will change her life forever...

  • ...
9
 34
 947

Will He Understand?

It had been almost a week since Dash had brought a son into the world, and he was learning fast, really fast, he was quite the talker too. She then thought that she didn't need to send him to school, but it was the law. She wondered if she could put him in school earlier, she had to introduce him to Apple Bloom, Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle, but maybe another time when he's a little older she couldn't imagine what horrors those Cutie Mark Crusaders would get up to with Lightning.
Or if he went to school he'd meet them anyway, but now she was on her way to work, being a WonderBolt is really hard work. She had left Lightning with Fluttershy for the day...she hoped that her son would be okay without her. As Dash sped towards Cloudsdale for her daily routine she couldn't help but wonder how Lightning was doing, if at the speed he was learning at, he'd probably be flying soon then she might be allowed to take him to work with her so he could watch her fly around the recruits giving out orders to them, she was so distracted she didn't see the pole in front of her and flew straight into it.

"Hey, Rainbow Dash. Yah right!?" Soarin' yelled to her after seeing her get distracted and crash into the pole.

"Yeah Soarin' I'm fine."


"Oh. Well okay then" he then turned to leave but looked back at Dash and said "Say hi to Lightning for me."

"Will do!" She called back. Nearly everypony in Ponyville now knew of Dash's son, some ponies just can't keep a secret!

-------

Lightning sat on Fluttershy's couch in her cottage waiting for his mother to come and get him and bring him back home. Fluttershy was making lunch for them both when she asked "Do you want a sandwich Lightning?" Lightning nodded back, his mum said not to talk to anypony yet, he didn't know why but he had his suspiciousness, but he did it anyway. While Fluttershy was making lunch there was a knock at the door, Lightning got up and went over to the door and knocked back acting cute, he liked acting cute (it was funny). There was three knocks at the door this time, Lightning knocked back three, when all of a sudden his mother burst through the door startling him making him squee and jump back, when he realised who it was he started giggling, Rainbow scooped him in her hooves and cooed "hello Lightning, did you miss me?" Lightning gave his mother a stern look, she knew he didn't like being cooed at. "Sorry," she whispered "but it's kinda funny."
Fluttershy came into the room with lunch when she saw Dash with Lightning she gasped "Oh, if I knew you were coming early I would of made more lunch!"

"I didn't know I was coming either, but I got off work earlier...so here I am." Dash replied. Lightning let out a big yawn signalling that he wanted to go home. "Well looks like somepony's tired, come on let's go home Lightning," she then turned to Fluttershy and said "Thanks for looking after him Shy."

"Oh, that's okay. I'd be happy to do it again," she said in her usually quiet voice, she then lowered her voice a little more and said "If that's okay with you."

"Shy, of course it's okay with me"

Fluttershy's face lit up at this statement.

"But...can't let this lunch go to waste." Dash said digging into a dandelion sandwich, and also handing one to Lightning being a nice mother and all.


After they had lunch Dash and Lightning said goodbye to Fluttershy, not that Lightning actually said anything, just waved, they headed back home. As Rainbow and Lightning entered their house he asked the one of the questions Dash knew was coming "Why can't I talk to anypony?"

"Well...because...It's because you're learning too fast and a foal of your age usually doesn't...talk." She replied back with some difficulty.

"Oh...okay mum, I understand." Lightning said plainly.

A look a surprise came across Dash's face, she didn't think It'd be that easy, "You do?" she asked Lightning.

"No. Not really, but as you said 'I'm learning faster than ordinary foals,' I'm sure I'll figure it out eventually..." he said back.

Dash feared for the day he actually found out, and discovered she was keeping this from him, and she hoped his reaction wouldn't be, too bad. Watching as Lightning went up to his room, which was the spare room originally, Dash thought how she would tell him what she'd been keeping from him and how he'd react to it. On her way to bed, she just felt completely and utterly drained of energy, from work and caring for a foal...that was practically independent now anyway, just couldn't reach high things, imagine how much trouble he'd get in when he started flying. Dash would have to introduce him to those Cutie Mark Crusaders, but then again Dash wasn't sure if Lightning could get a cutie mark, considering he's a robot and all maybe she could give him an upgrade. Shaking those thoughts out of her head, Dash was smiling to herself she flipped onto her bed, tomorrow she would teach her son to fly...

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapter's a little short and rushed I didn't really know what to put in it with out squishing events into one another so...here it is. I also had a small case of 'Writers Block' so I was procrastinating a lot...