• Published 20th Dec 2012
  • 7,780 Views, 271 Comments

She came into my life like "ZOT!" - Deleth



A girl with indigo hair landed in my shower in a flash of light, can use magic, and claims she is, or was a pony...and says I'm the crazy one. I promise, I'm not.

  • ...
22
 271
 7,780

Routines and a shopping trip

Four weeks had passed since Rarity came into my life with a Zot and in that time we settled into a routine within the home. I would get up early as needed – which was usually o’dark thirty – get the chores that needed done finished and come back inside where Rarity would usually have a lunch or snack made for me. She learned to tolerate the fact that I ate meat but wouldn’t try it herself, and refused to cook with it which I understood. She also had made several outfits for herself with the old sewing machine and a single bolt of white cotton cloth that was sent to her. She would have had more sent but it turned out that a lot of dragon fire was needed to send something that big and Spike was running on empty because of all the letters friends and family were sending Rarity and the amount of fire Rarity needed to send responses back. At least that was how her friend Twilight had explained it. So once another large jar of the green glowing fire was sent it was explained that the jar would be it for a while.

The only real hitch that was had was the passing of Christmas, which confused Rarity with her own land’s holiday of Hearth’s Warming Day. Or something. I got her a couple bolts of different colors of fabric online though and while they would not arrive for a week or two, she appreciated the gesture. I supposed that was what counted, she had already made another white dress a skirt and a blouse out of the little fabric she had been sent and with the help of some colorful thread, looked quite stylish. She had also at some point found and made use of my wife’s old hair styling tools and brushes – I’m still not sure how I feel about that but a woman needs to do her hair or so she claims – I’m not about to argue with it. The mantra of ‘happy wife happy life’ applies to all female relationships, no matter how platonic and if you remember this you will be a happy man.

However, there was an obvious downside to suddenly having two people in my home that was beginning to make itself known and that was money. Or the lack thereof. I had originally saved and budgeted to be able to get myself and my livestock through the winter and into spring, same with my own food stores so I wouldn’t have to brave the frozen back roads in order to get to a supermarket for supplies. But with two humans in the house, the food was being consumed twice as fast and it wasn’t long before shelves were beginning to be emptied, containers bared, and I knew that if we were to get by we would need to run to the store.

So I was presented with two choices, I could go to the store on my own and leave the feeding of the cattle to Rarity – unlikely that would end well, call it a hunch – or I could do my usual morning chores, pound down an energy drink and take her with me in the early afternoon. Which was where we now found ourselves as I trudged through the snow and ice to my F350 and started it up, and walked back inside.

“Are you sure it is safe to travel in that erm…what did you call it?” Rarity asked immediately.

“Truck.” I replied, tossing one of my wife’s old red puffy coats to wear for the trip, it was a little big for her but it would do, much to her chagrin.

“I don’t know…” she mused, “it sounds rather noisy and rattle-ie to be safe for anything.”

To be fair, it was an old school truck that I had owned for twelve years and it was five years old before I bought it. It was also a diesel.

“It’s safe.” I assured her, though I don’t think she believed me since she complained and muttered to herself the whole thirty five feet from the front door to the truck. I also had to help her into ti not only because of its height from the ground but because she had apparently never gotten into an automobile before. Making sure all wheel drive was engaged, I put it into drive and away we went down the snowy, bumpy, frozen landscape towards the highway and were Rarity not sitting right next to me I could swear that each of the squeaks I heard when we went over a lump of ice were coming from the truck.

Fortunately it was only a ten minute drive to get off my property and down what was a dirt road in the summer, onto the onramp that served the local farmers and head north into Dillon. Oddly she seemed calmer once we reached highway speeds on the road that was mostly clear but guarded by ice and snow on either side. By that point ye’olde heater had also kicked into full gear and the cabin of my working man’s truck was finally an acceptable temperature.

“So I take it they don’t have cars or trucks where you’re from then?” I asked, making conversation as we drove. It was a half hour to Dillon and I didn’t want to just sit there the whole time.

“The closest machine Ponies possess that can go this speed is the Friendship Express, which is a steam locomotive.” She said and I glanced at the speedometer.

“Your trains can go seventy five miles an hour?” I asked.

“WE’RE GONG HOW FAST?!” Rarity screeched clung to the arm rest on one side, and the seat on the other.

“It’s okay.” I chuckled, then tried a more soothing, less mocking tone, attempting to steer the conversation back to things she was more comfortable with.

“I’m in complete control, I promise. Besides we’ll be there before you know it, highway fifteen goes right through town. So no cars huh? How to you ponies get anywhere do you just walk or jog…erm…I mean trot?”

“Yes, as a matter of fact, except for the Pegasus ponies who simply fly long distances the average pony can travel twenty or thirty miles in a day at an average gait. Though Unicorns are the hardest pressed by such long travel since we’re not exactly the most athletic of sub-species of pony. Of course I’m best guessing on the distances, I’ve never actually measured.” She mused.

“Fair enough, I guess a car would be redundant if you could travel ten times what the average human could in a day.” I remaked.

“Buh?! But walking doesn’t seem that difficult, neither does running.” Her eyebrows rose as she spoke.

“Well that’s true, but over long distances it’ll wear you down. There are people out there who can run for a long time and even do it for a living, but on average not so much.” I said as I changed lanes to pass a slower moving Semi-Truck, which Rarity stared at for a moment before turning back to me.

“Right then, so where exactly are we going again?” She blinked once more at the long hauler.

“Wal-Mart. It’s like a village square with everything under the sun available to buy, but indoors where it’s warm.” I said and changed lanes again.

“Do they have fabric there?” She asked.

“Eeyup.” I answered lazily and earned a somewhat shocked expression from the indigo haired woman.

“What?” I asked when her expression didn’t change for a minute or so and she blinked several times and shook her head.

“Nothing, it’s just that…no, it’s nothing. I’ve merely observed that farmers apparently speak the same across different dimensions is all. My friend Twilight will find that fact fascinating, I’m sure.” She sighed and sat back in the seat.

I shrugged and continued to guide us north until the exit for Dillon came around and took us off the highway and down the Wal-Mart that was conveniently right next to the end of the road the served as the on and off ramp, into the parking lot and eventually and empty space near the front of the store.

“Alright.” I said before shutting off the engine. “Just so you know the color of your hair is…well…exotic. And by that I mean no one really has that color of hair because purple hair isn’t a natural color for humans.”

“What? What colors are natural then?” She seemed surprised.

“Blonde, Black, shades of Brown and Red. That’s pretty much it.”

“How droll.” She observed and I shrugged.

“Well you don’t have to worry, I happen to know a spell to change my hair color, though it will only work for an hour.” She said and before I could say anything to the contrary, her not-there-horn lit up on her forehead and glowed bright blue. Then, like so many LEDs without wires little sparkles of light flowed over her hair and each strand turned a shade of black as they worked. Within the process of a few moments the spell was done and Rarity’s hair was now a nice shade of jet black.

“Okay…also humans can’t do magic.” I glanced around “I don’t think anyone saw us, so just try to not use it while we are out in public, kay?”

“Eh heh…sorry. I will try.” She promised and I shut off the engine.

Once in the store I grabbed two shopping carts, rolling one to Rarity while explaining that yes I did need to buy that many things at once. Apparently she flabbergasted her that we had to push things around in carts rather than just carry bags slung about our hips, but she got over it. In fact she got over it so fast that by the time we had left the produce section she was beginning to complain about how long it was taking to choose individual items and put them in the cart only to have to pay for the darn things after the fact. I was successfully able to tune out the tone of her voice but the fact that she was whining incessantly was something that was grating on my nerves by the time we had left the general food section and moved onto the clothes department.

Where she then began to critique and whine about the lack of, and I quote:

“Anything mildly creative or possessing a hint of fashion sense”

But once we got to the small section where there were fabrics available she was suddenly quiet. I had allowed her several tens of dollars to buy some more fabric with which she could make clothes for her stay here on Earth. I watched as her true passion in life seemed to come out as her blue eyes narrowed, picking apart each small bolt of cloth as if it were so many microbes under a scientist’s microscope. Her scrutiny of the different types of cloth was only matched by her complete focus on the task at hand. She would pull a bolt of cloth slightly from the rack, feel it, peer at it, feel it a different direction, turn it over, feel it again, peer at it some more ,then put it back. This process was repeated several times over the course of about half an hour until she got back to the beginning of the rack – having circled both sides of it – and then picked two whole bolts to purchase to the tune of seventy five dollars. Ouch.

“Really?” I asked,” for that much we could get you five different outfits off the rack.”

“Really?” she shot back, “Because last I looked the stitching was poorly done, the materials sub-par, and the fashion sensibilities are severely lacking.”

“And last I checked it’s still my money.” I sighed, exasperated, but at least my comment had quieted her incessant talking. For now.

“I’m sorry…I’ll just…” She stuttered, avoiding eye contact.

“Look, if you want the two bolts I can afford them but that is still a lot of money for someone like me. So if you want them. Make your case. I’ll give you thirty seconds.”I said and looked at my watch, waiting for the second hand to come back to home.

“Go.” I said.

“What? What in Equestria is this about?!” She whined.

“Twenty five.” I warned.

“EEK! Erm…” Her eyes narrowed and a small smile formed on her lips making me wonder if I should be afraid.
“If you want to know how this might be a better deal it is because sure we could buy five outfits for the same price but at the quality of those clothes they would be worn out within two months whereas if I make it myself It will be good for longer than your lifetime I’m sure and we still have no idea how much longer I’m staying with you and I don’t think you want to make another run to the store whenthecheapstuffwearsout!” She finished with about half a second left. Impressive, most people just freeze up when I do my timed litmus for things outside of the budget.

“Okay.” I said with a smile.

“What what? Just like that?...Really?” Rarity blinked, not quite believing me.

“Sure, you convinced me. Also that’s the last of what we need so we can check out and head home – gotta check on that pregnant cow of mine, she’s about ready to burst.” I thought out loud.

“Do you think that might be why those wolves are harassing your barn? Like the sense easy prey is right around the corner?” She asked, surprising me by taking my own thoughts out of my head.

“It’s possible, that or their just hungry and looking for an easy meal.” I mused as we both pushed our shopping carts towards the front of the store.

“Know a thing or two about being easy prey?” I asked.

“HAH!” She laughed, “We ponies may look defenseless – in my normal form anyways – but I promise you that we Unicorns are hardly defenseless.”

She grinned and tapped her forehead where I assume a horn would normally be. It was close enough to where that light always started when she used her magic at any rate. I watched her for a moment as we walked and she glanced away at some of the poorly made clothes on a rack. She really was pretty in a make-up -ie sort of way, with her pale but evenly toned skin, bright blue eyes and that perfectly styled, exotic indigo hair with sparkles.

Wait, what?

“Rarity. Rarity!” I hissed, trying to be discreet, “Your hair, I think the spell is wearing—”

“Mommy lookit her hair! It’s Sparkles!” A little girl’s voice shouted, carrying surprisingly well in the open cavern that was Wal-Mart, and bringing an instant silence to the area around where we stood with our carts.

Well, crap. So much for being discreet, and I swear Rarity muttered ‘Horseapples.’

Author's Note:

As always self editing, hints of things i may have missed are appriciated.

Also this isn't the strongest chapter I've ever written, but it is a setup one, so that can happen.