• Published 18th Dec 2012
  • 2,847 Views, 112 Comments

The Royal Vacation - Colt Vulpes



Celestia and Luna are bored of ruling Equestria and decide they need a vacation. They leave our favorite purple unicorn in charge.

  • ...
9
 112
 2,847

Chapter 9: A Lesson in Trolling, and Twilight’s Second Day

·

Chapter 9

A Trolling Lesson, and Twilight’s Second Day


·

“Rise and shine, sleepyhead!”

Twilight opened her eyes. It was still dark outside.

“P-princess Luna? It’s kinda early, don’t you think? The sun’s not even out yet.”

“Of course it’s not!” Luna grinned that sneaky grin of hers.

Okay, what’s she up to?

“Sister’s not awake yet! And for the next hour or so you are my faithful student! Your lesson will begin shortly!”

“Huh?” Twilight was a little confused. (And she may not have woken up all the way yet.)

“The balcony!” exclaimed Luna. “Let’s go!”

And so Twilight followed Luna out to the balcony, envious of a certain still-asleep baby dragon.

“Now,” said Luna, once they’d arrived, “any good princess must have a sense of humor.”

Twilight gave Luna a puzzled look. Really?

“Yes, really. It’s more important than you think. That’s what keeps you from going crazy, among other things. So, your first lesson will be how to pull a good prank. I will demonstrate, and your job is to play along the best you can.”

Twilight nodded. “Okay, I’ll try.”

“That’s the spirit!” With that, Luna’s horn began to glow. She brought the moon down, and then the horizon in front of them began to grow brighter...

·


·

Celestia woke up. Ugh, how late did I sleep in? Did Luna forget to wake me when her shift was over?

She got up and stretched, her room illuminated by the morning light.

Celestia stopped. Something didn’t feel right. She couldn’t quite place her hoof on it, but...

She walked around a bit. Checked herself in the mirror. Everything looked fine.

Meh, she was probably worrying about nothing. She opened her bedchamber door, ready to (literally) start the day...

Hey wait a second! Why’s the sun up!?

(There we go! Geez, took her long enough.)

Celestia rushed outside. She made it to the balcony, where she was greeted by her sister and a very proud looking Twilight Sparkle.

“Sister! The sun’s up! How did—”

“Celestia, you have picked a splendid student!”

Twilight beamed at her.

“What—”

“I brought her out here and she raised the sun all by herself!” said Luna, smiling.

Celestia was flabbergasted. “There’s... there’s no way...”

“Apparently there is!” replied Luna.

“I... I was an old mare before I learned how to do that! H-how did she...?”

“Okay, Luna” said Twilight, “I think she’s had enough.”

“I guess so,” replied Luna, looking disappointed.

“Huh?” Celestia was confused. (But less so than before.)

“Oh, Luna got you!” said Twilight. “Yeah, I have no clue how to raise the sun. That was her doing.”

“But... that’s my job!”

“You’re welcome, then!” Luna gave Celestia a cheesy smile.

“Sister...” grumbled Celestia.

“Sounds like somepony’s grumpy in the morning!”

Celestia managed a chuckle. “Okay, I’m a little grumpy,” she admitted. “I just need my coffee.”

The three princesses* went back inside, and Luna went to the royal kitchen and brought back a hot cup of coffee for her sister.

(*Twilight’s not really a princess, of course. I just like calling her that.)

“For you, Sister!” said Luna. “Now find a comfy place to sit down and relax.”

Celestia looked at the coffee. I guess I do really need a break, she thought.

Then she rolled her eyes. Yes, I need a vacation from my vacation.

“Twilight,” said Luna, as Celestia sipped her coffee, “today will be a bit like yesterday, but hopefully less hectic. Celestia and I will be here if you need us, but you’re the only pony who’s actually in charge.”

Twilight nodded slowly, taking in what Luna was saying.

“Although, please don’t get us unless you do need us,” continued Luna, “because Celestia needs to recover from her psychological burnout, and I need to sleep.”

Luna yawned. “Speaking of, I’d better go catch some Z’s pretty soon. Celestia will give you a rundown for today’s itinerary—it shouldn’t give you too much trouble.”

Luna shot a look at her sister. “And then she is to retire to her study with her coffee and find a good book to read and not lift a hoof for any reason unless absolutely required.”

Celestia nodded at her sister. Understood.

“Good,” said Luna.

Celestia then conjured up a scroll. “Okay, Twilight. This is what you have on your plate for today. First, in the morning there is a meeting with the ambassador from the Griffin Nation. Then, in the evening, there is a wedding between Derpy Doo and Time Turner Hooves.”

“...what.”

“Sister, I think that’s yesterday’s itinerary.”

“No no, this is today’s.” Celestia went on to explain. “The Griffin Nation formally apologized for the behavior of Ambassador Geldo, and they’re sending over a new one in a second attempt to work things out. Also, Derpy and Time Turner’s wedding got ruined, so they need to do it over again.”

I’ll alert the muffin factory, thought Twilight.

The Derpy news was... not incredibly surprising, really. The news about the Griffin Nation, on the other hand, was a big relief to Twilight. She was so glad to not have started a war that it was almost worth putting up with Derpy and Time Turner’s antics. Almost.

Nah, she then decided, that’s OK too. It was pretty obvious what they were up to, and the royal sisters allowed it anyway. She might as well play along too.

Twilight began to plan things out in her head, looking for any obvious places where something could go wrong.

“Oh, Celestia! I just remembered!”

“Yes, Twilight?”

“We still don’t have any electricity.”

“Electro-what?”

“Electricity, Princess? You know...”

“No, I’m afraid I do not. What in my own name is this ‘Electricity’?”

“Celestia, the power’s out! We talked about this last night, remember?”

“Oh, the power! Why didn’t you say so?” Celestia’s horn glowed, and the lights in the castle surged brightly as her magic augmented the power of the backup generator. Lights all across Canterlot lit up.

“Sister, do not expend your energy like that today!”

Twilight looked at her mentor, a confused scowl on her face. “Wait, you do that?”

“Why of course, my student! How else would Canterlotarians get power?”

Luna looked at Twilight, and shook her head. “That’s Trollestia for you.”

“Why Sister, whatever do you mean?”

Luna sighed. “Twilight, my sister knows full well what electricity is. She studied it extensively when we were younger. She’s just trolling you. Again.”

“Although she really does provide power for all of Canterlot,” Luna then added. “Quite an amazing feat, really.”

“Geez Luna, I can’t even troll ponies anymore? What kind of vacation is this?”

“One where you relax, not power the whole city singlehoofedly! I can take over for that.”

“While you’re sleeping, dear sister? ‘Sorry everypony, there’s gonna be a blackout all day today, because our power source is napping right now!’

“I don’t know, I’ll figure something out! But you need to—”

At that point, the royal sisters stopped arguing. There was a knock at the door.

“Good luck Twilight!” said Celestia. She tossed her crown onto Twilight’s head, and she and Luna winked out.

The ambassador had arrived.

·


×

Author's Note:

Wakey wakey Twilight! Your job's not done yet!

Also, should I say it? ...yes I guess I should. Whenever I read the part where Luna wakes up Twilight, it sounds really dirty. I don't know why. I revised it several times, and what you see is the best I could get it. So just to be clear: I’m not gonna go there. (Seriously, Twilight is like 16 and Luna’s over 1000.)