• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 930 Views, 93 Comments

Sweetie Belle and the School of Shadows - Blackdrag-rose



Sweetie Belle discovers she has more magical abilities than she originally thought, but the power is dangerous. She needs to control it before something terrible happens

  • ...
4
 93
 930

Realm Letters

Dear Princess Nightmare Moon,

I have received your latest letter and am relieved that the school is finally complete. I have talked to my sister again and I can tell that the idea of a joint school still disturbs her. She clearly fears that something bad is going to happen at the school, despite how many times I tell her that the school will have the best teachers and staff. She worries that the monster Thrack is still alive and do harm to our side.

On a happier note I have prepared the letters for the students that will be from our side, still being objected to by my sister. I have decided to include the Cutie Mark Crusaders among my selection. The role reason for including them, besides my sisters insistence on the matter, is because they cause a lot of chaos in Ponyville and I wanted that to be gone for as long as possible. Celestia’s reason is because she thinks that the filly known as Sweetie Belle is really Thrack and wants her under a watchful eye.

I haven’t asked with all the construction going on, but how is Reginald and Atar doing on your side? I know that Reginald, with as long as he has served both sets of Princesses, is likely enjoying some manner of peace without Darkstar’s warmongering. Atar, on the other hoof, will always remain a mystery to me for as long as he lives. I’m not planning on killing him, but it would be nice to know what is going through his mind at times.

And how is the whole of Shadowlot holding up? I haven’t seen any mention of the citizens or the destruction that was caused during our little war. I have feared that your citizens might resent us for destroying parts of their homes and workplaces.

Your Light Counterpart,

Princess Luna of the Light Realm

Princess Luna looked over her letter and lifted an eyebrow as she wondered if she should add her own worries to it. She couldn’t needlessly worry her counterpart with the possibility of Thrack still being alive, despite her sister’s worries. Luna shook her head and rolled up the parchment, sealing it with her seal before allowing it to vanish into a puff of silvery smoke. She looked out the window of the Throne Room and stared at the moon, enjoying the light it gave to the world.

-The Shadow Realm-

Princess Nightmare Moon was enjoying a cup of lunar tea, a special brew that her counterpart suggested that she tried, when the long awaited letter arrived. She smiled and lowered her cup, picking up the scroll and unrolling it. She, like Luna in Canterlot, was sitting in the Throne Room of Shadowlot, enjoying the light of her own moon. Nightmare began to read the letter and her eyebrows lowered that the mere mention of the monster Thrack.

“How fares the Light Lunar Princess?” asked a voice that belonged to none other than Reginald himself.

“Apparently she is doing well enough,” Nightmare Moon said, surprised that he was still in the room, “It seems that Princess Celestia still fears that Thrack is alive and is waiting for a perfect opportunity to kill her again. But Luna and I seem to agree that she is overreacting to the extreme.”

“Thrack died when Darkstar killed her,” Reginald commented, brushing his mustache just a bit, “though I am sure that her counterpart is still alive and that might be what she fears. Princess Celestia, always the worrier she is, fears that Thrack’s soul or powers might awaken in her counterpart and take over. And then I am sure you know what might happen after that.”

“Yes,” Nightmare slowly said, “Thrack, the monster I created, will be reborn and she’ll want her revenge on both Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and, likely, myself. I do hope that Thrack is dead and her powers don’t come back at all.”

As Reginald nodded his agreement Nightmare lifted a clean piece of parchment and her inkwell up to her writing perch.


Dear Princess Luna,

While I am glad to have received your letter I must admit that Reginald and I are both in some sort of agreement with Princess Celestia. We are equally afraid that Thrack might be reborn and choose to kill all of us. But I am truly thinking that the monster is dead and we have nothing to fear from her ever again.

Reginald is indeed happy with my sister Darkstar dead. He finally relaxed yesterday and enjoyed the day for once. He wasn’t in the Throne Room for once in his life and finally enjoyed what Shadowlot had to offer him. The citizens wanted to revere him as the God that he was, but he insisted that he just wanted to be treated like the Steward he always was. If I had been him I would have taken the God treatment, but that was his own choice.

Atar, on the other hoof, has been silent ever since my sister died. Since she was a Princess we built a tomb for her and he’s been near it almost all the time. The only times he has left my sister’s side is when Darkened Armor makes him come and teach the guards some of his tricks. I’ve seen the look in his eyes and it’s like I’m staring into a void. He misses Darkstar.

I talked with the citizens of Shadowlot a few days ago and asked them how they felt about the war. I was surprised to find that they weren’t resentful towards you and your ponies. A few of them even told me that the destruction of their homes and workplaces was worth it to see Darkstar fall at last. So I guess they might praise you the next time they see you.

In case you haven’t realized it is tiring to raise both the Sun and the Moon each and every day on my own. I know that we are both alicorns and the moon is our sole responsibility, but you’re lucky to have your sister with you. With Celestia still alive I would have thought that my own sister would have returned, but as of yet she has not. If she doesn’t return soon I’ll have to get Atar or Reginald to start doing her job for me before I collapse from exhaustion.

On the matter of the school itself we have, as you have already stated, finished the construction of the building and our own train. The train is designed to stop in both Canterlot and Shadowlot to pick up the students before entering the Realm Between Worlds. I am sure that everypony could come up with a better name for the new realm, but what I said is the best we have right now.

The School of Shadows is scheduled to open in a week, which will allow those that receive the letters to get ready. Reginald and I are unsure of how many students will actually come to the school, but we are sure that quite a number will arrive. Be sure to give Celestia our best and ask her advice on the problem I seem to have.

Your Shadow Counterpart,

Princess Nightmare Moon of the Shadow Realm


Nightmare Moon smiled and, like Luna did, rolled up the parchment and gave it her own seal before sending it on its way. She put down her writing tools and picked up her cup, taking a drink of the ancient tea. Luna had been right when she suggested it to her; it was quite delicious and absolutely addicting. This cup was likely her fifth cup that day alone and she smiled yet again.

-The Light Realm-

Luna snatched the letter out of the air and quickly broke the seal of Nightmare Moon, unrolling the piece of parchment. With a smile on her face she pulled out a stack of scrolls and called for one of her guards.

“Make sure this pile of scrolls makes it to the post office before the morning,” Luna requested, passing the stack to the guard.

The guard saluted her and put the scrolls in a bag before he left the Throne Room, leaving Luna to her other duties. She, too, was drinking a cup of the lunar tea, though she drank at least one to two cups a day. She knew that the School of Shadows would be the perfect way to make sure that both sides of the soul could live in peace with each other. Luna hoped that her sister was wrong and that the monster was gone.

-Ponyville, Rarity’s Boutique-

Sweetie Belle tossed and turned in her bed, her sweet dreams quickly turning to absolute nightmares. She snapped her eyes open and her eye color was now a deep blood red.