• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 930 Views, 93 Comments

Sweetie Belle and the School of Shadows - Blackdrag-rose



Sweetie Belle discovers she has more magical abilities than she originally thought, but the power is dangerous. She needs to control it before something terrible happens

  • ...
4
 93
 930

Danger

“Hey girls,” Apple Bloom said, entering the Cutie Mark Crusaders tree house and sitting down with her friends, “am I the only one that got a strange letter in the mail today?”

“You got one as well?” Scootaloo asked, pulling out a piece of paper with a royal seal on it, “Sweetie Belle and I got them as well. Do you think it’s a prank from Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon?”

“Nah,” Sweetie Belle, whose eyes were now their normal color, said, “They don’t have the guts to fake a letter from Princess Luna herself. I know Diamond Tiara wouldn’t want to have her father bail her out of jail for faking a royal letter.”

Apple Bloom looked over the piece of paper that Scootaloo held and read the same lines that were on her letter, except that her name was on hers.


Dear Scootaloo,

You have been chosen to attend the grand opening of the School of Shadows in one week’s time. There you will learn all about the nature of the Shadow Realm, the ponies that call the realm their home, and about your own Shadow as well. You will be able to learn how to live in harmony with your Shadow.

All books and supplies related to the studies you’ll be doing at the school will be prepared ahead of your arrival. You are not required to buy anything before you arrive at school, but it recommended that you pack some personal belongings. You will be gone for an entire year’s worth of school time and it will count towards your overall education.

In the end you will need the permission of a parent, guardian, or older sibling before you can board the train that will be stopping in Canterlot in a week’s time. At the bottom of this letter is a place for a signature to be placed. If you receive permission and a signature just roll up the scroll and it will instantly be teleported back to Canterlot so we’ll know how many students have accepted.

Your still-trying-to-modernize-herself Nighttime Ruler,

Princess Luna


“So we all got invited to a new school?” Apple Bloom said, raising an eyebrow, “A school to learn about our counterparts and how to live in harmony with them? Why does this sound like something that Twilight Sparkle came up with?”

“I don’t know,” Scootaloo replied, shaking her head, “but I need to see if I can go, which I am sure that the two of you need to do as well.”

“I’m sure Applejack and Rarity will let us go,” Apple Bloom said, “Why don’t we all head home and see what our family says on the matter?”

Scootaloo quickly agreed with her and Sweetie Belle nodded her head, though she seemed almost lost in thought. The three friends went their separate ways, though Scootaloo and Apple Bloom seemed worried about Sweetie. She was never this quite. They were sure that whatever had come over their friend would be quick and she’d be back to normal.

-Sweet Apple Acres-

“Hey Applejack,” Apple Bloom called, seeing her sister sitting next to the door of their house, “I got a strange letter in the mail today. My friends happened to receive similar letters as well.”

“You want to do to the School of Shadows don’t ya?” Applejack asked, nearly laughing at her sister’s shocked face as she pulled out a slightly longer piece of paper. “My friends and I have been asked to become teachers for the Shadows in the school. We gathered like you and your friends did and discussed the possibility of us all going. The Elements of Harmony are going to the School of Shadows and you are so coming along with me.

Now go upstairs and pack up a case. We still have a week to prepare before we leave.”

Apple Bloom smiled and ran upstairs to prepare what she was going to take in a week’s time to the train station.

-Rainbow Dash’s house-

“Hey Rainbow Dash,” Scootaloo called up into at the house made of clouds, “You up there? I need to talk with you?”

Scootaloo waited for a few minutes before trying again, this time much louder. A couple more minutes passed before she got on her scooter to find Pinkie Pie. She came back ten minutes later with Pinkie and launched herself up into the clouds, landing on the soft surface. She quickly shook herself before knocking on the door, which was soon opened from the other side.

“Scootaloo!?” Rainbow Dash said, surprised to find the little filly outside her house, “How’d you get up here?”

“I had Pinkie launch me up here,” Scootaloo said, “I tried calling you, but since you didn’t hear me I had to resort to something dangerous.”

“I am going to get Pinkie for that later,” Dash said, sighing as she stared into the little filly’s eyes, “Let me guess, you need somepony to sign a piece of paper saying that you’ll accept the invitation to the School of Shadows?”

Scootaloo’s jaw dropped. How did Rainbow Dash know about the letter?

“Yeah, I do,” Scootaloo said, pulling her letter out, “How’d you know about the letter?”

“The Elements are invited as well,” was Dash’s reply, “something about being teachers or something. But never mind that. If I’m going to the School of Shadows then so is my number one fan.”

Scootaloo’s eyes lit up, this was what she wanted to hear. She was going to the new school with her idol and the mare she often thought of as her sister.

-Rarity’s Boutique-

Sweetie Belle watched her sister run around the room, gathering items for a dress that she was working on. Rarity had explained that the Elements of Harmony had been invited to be teachers at the School of Shadows, which seemed like a big coincidence to Sweetie. Her paper had been signed the moment she had stepped into the room and now all she could do was stare at Rarity. The only thing Sweetie wanted was for Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon to not be invited at all.

Rarity noticed her sister and stopped what she was doing. Sweetie Belle was the sweetest filly she knew and she loved her for it. Rarity remembered when the monster Thrack had destroyed her peaceful world, but that had changed when Sweetie arrived at her house. Rarity was determined to make sure that Sweetie never discovered what had happened that day and was glad she was going a good job at it.

“Why don’t you go find your friends Sweetie,” Rarity said, the filly raising her head, “You don’t need to sit here and watch me get my orders done all day long. I’m sure that Applejack and Rainbow Dash agreed to allow Apple Bloom and Scootaloo go to the school as well. Go ahead and celebrate with them.”

“Thanks Rarity,” Sweetie said, running over and hugging her sister before she bolted out the door.

Rarity laughed. “That filly will never change,” she said, returning to her work.

-Near the Everfree Forest-

Sweetie had met up with Apple Bloom, who had been dropped off at Twilight’s while her sister went to get supplies, and Scootaloo just outside the library. Twilight was in a good mood to teach the Shadows all about her side of the realms and was quick to shoo the three on their way. The Crusaders decided to try for their Cutie Marks yet again and thought they might trap a small creature in the Everfree Woods. Unbeknownst to them Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon followed the three right into the woods.

“Are you girls excited?” Apple Bloom asked, “We’re all going to visit a new school and learn about our own Shadows. I wonder what the classes will be like.”

“Maybe the Elements of Discord will be teaching,” Scootaloo said, “I wonder if Rainbow’s Shadow will be anything like her. You know; as awesome and cool as Dash is.”

“I don’t know,” Sweetie said, looking around, “I would like to learn some magic and be better at it than I am right now. Other than that I don’t really know what else there is for me to learn. It’s almost as if there is something missing.”

A rock hit Sweetie Belle in the head, forcing her onto the ground for a few seconds while her friends tried to find the source of the thrown rock. Then the three of them found who had thrown the rock; Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon. The two bullies were standing in front of them, blocking their way.

“Not you guys,” Apple Bloom said, trying to keep the venom out of her voice, “Can’t you leave us alone for once?”

“Afraid not losers,” Diamond Tiara said, “but we will not be joining the blank flanks on their train ride to the School of Shadows. I was invited, but both my father and I decided it was a waste of time to bother with. So enjoy your time away from me while you got it because I’ll be hitting you with something fierce when you return. Well, at least one of you I’ll be hitting more than the other two.”

“What are you talking about,” Scootaloo said, noticing that Diamond Tiara was looking behind her and not at her, “and why won’t you look me in the eye?”

“She’s talking to the monster,” Silver Spoon snapped, shaking Scootaloo and Apple Bloom to their cores as she tossed another rock at Sweetie Belle, “not to the two of you.”

“What are you talking about,” Sweetie said, batting the weakly thrown rock away with her hoof, “None of us are monsters. Lyra and Bon Bon are since they happen to be wereponies, but not the Crusaders.”

“Shut up Thrack,” Diamond Tiara coldly said, “We know who you are and what you’re capable of doing with your terrible power. Just a little over three months ago you revealed yourself and fought the Royal Princesses, nearly killing them in the process. Then you vanished and came back as ‘Sweetie Belle’, hoping to lick your wounds before taking another go at Princess Celestia.

Everypony thought you died a week ago when the evil Princess Darkstar easily killed your form and ate your soul. But not me, I saw through your pitiful plan. You wanted Princess Celestia to fight her own Shadow so you could kill a weakened opponent. Now that that plan has failed you plan on visiting Canterlot to board the train for the School of Shadows so you can kill her and have an ironclad alibi. I will not allow you to do that, so prepare to die.”

To Sweetie’s horror Silver Spoon kicked something as her friends approached the two bullies. A rock hit her square in the head and knocked her out, her body hitting the ground hard. Apple Bloom, seeing her fallen friend, rushed to her side while Scootaloo fought off the two fillies. Though she quickly found out the two were armed with more than rocks as they whipped out small knives.

“Come on Sweetie,” Apple Bloom said, shaking her friend, “Come on, we got to move.”

“Don’t you dare move that monster,” Diamond Tiara shouted, the anger clear in her voice, “She doesn’t deserve your kindness and friendship. She’ll kill you and Scootaloo once you’re far away from your home so she can assume a new life.”

Red magic energy began to gather around Sweetie’s body, forcing Apple Bloom to quickly back away. Sweetie’s coat dulled in color just a bit as her hair became a greyer color, not quite the colors of Thrack. Her body convulsed as her limbs became the werepony limbs and the two vampony wings sprouted from her back. Her head stayed the same, except for the fangs coming out of her mouth.

-Canterlot Throne Room-

“Tia,” Luna shouted, barging into the Throne Room and surprising her sister, “Can you not feel that unnatural energy in the air? Thrack’s power has awakened and it’s about to go berserk. We have to stop it before something happens.”

Celestia, knowing how dangerous the threat was, nodded and the two sisters flew out of the Throne Room, heading directly towards the Everfree Forest.

-Ponyville Library-

Twilight lifted her head up from her book and looked towards the forest, wondering what the Crusaders did this time. She sighed, placed a bookmark in the book before closing it, and ran outside, hoping to stop whatever it was in time.

-Crusaders-

“See!?” Diamond Tiara shouted, getting ready to impale Sweetie with her small knife, “I told you that she’s the monster she has always been. Now I will end her before she destroys all of us gathered here.”

A paw hit her in the chest and threw her into Silver Spoon, causing the two to hit a tree. Sweetie staggered as she got up, her body feeling like it was on fire as she looked at her friends. Scootaloo was scared; there was no way she could be brave when her friend was like this. Apple Bloom cowered by a different tree, hoping that her friend didn’t turn on her like Diamond Tiara said she would.

“Apple…Bloom…Scoot…aloo…” their friend said, though her voice made her sound like she was possessed, “Run…away…please…”

Then she raised a claw and pointed at the two bullies, the red energy gathering around the paw. The energy built up, clearly gathering to form some sort of magical attack that resembled an orb. Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon continued to sit by the tree, somehow frozen to the ground and directly in front of the attack.

Just when the attack was released two shields went up around the two fillies, causing the attack to break in half. It was pure energy blowing out of the orb, but once it hit the barrier it split in half, destroying the forest around the barriers. When the attack died down the barriers broke and two alicorns stood above the fillies.

“Stop this madness Sweetie Belle,” Luna commanded, stomping her hoof on the ground, “Do not let the powers of Thrack take you over and use you like a mindless beast. We both know you are better than that.”

“If you don’t stop,” Celestia said, her horn lighting up, “then we will have to detain your powers.”

“There will be no need for that my Princesses,” a voice said as four silver shackles appeared on Sweetie’s limbs, “I will seal her powers away and only allow a small fraction of them to remain behind for her to use.”

Now standing directly behind Sweetie Belle was none other than Reginald himself, though his Godly power radiated off of him as he stared into her eyes. Sweetie thrashed and tried to remove the shackles, which meant that the power was trying to take over, but Reginald wouldn’t allow it. Using the same spell that the Princesses had used on him, with his permission of course, in the past he made the power recede into the shackles.

Steam radiated from Sweetie Belle’s body as the vampony fangs and wings began to slowly turn to dust. Once those were gone her body violently shook as her limbs reverted back to their original pony shape and not the werepony limbs they had been. Sweetie screamed as her eyes, the last piece of Thrack’s power, slowly shifted back to their normal shape and color. Then, as the shackles faded from view altogether, Sweetie looked up at those gathered around her.

“Th…thanks…” she said will all her strength before passing out and hitting the ground hard.

Though try as they might her friends could not wake their friend from her magically induced slumber.