• Published 17th Dec 2012
  • 930 Views, 93 Comments

Sweetie Belle and the School of Shadows - Blackdrag-rose



Sweetie Belle discovers she has more magical abilities than she originally thought, but the power is dangerous. She needs to control it before something terrible happens

  • ...
4
 93
 930

Explaining

The rest of Sweetie’s day was, surprisingly, uneventful after the alicorn stallion called Prince Midnight arrived during her second class. Sure, learning magic from Twilight Sparkle was always fun, but it was mostly the basics for the first class. And her fourth and final class was about controlling the inner beast, so she was stuck in a classroom filled with vamponies and wereponies.

She didn’t feel like talking to her friends very much during the lunch and dinner times. Even when it was after dinner she avoided them and went to bed early, mostly so she could think. But even then she managed to fall into a sleep where she didn’t have to learn about the monster for once.

-Luna’s Office-

“Care to run that by us again Tia,” Luna asked, facehoofing while she sat at her desk in her office.

In the room sat Nightmare Moon, she sat on a couch near a bookshelf, Cadence and Shadence, who were talking about the barrier by the front door, and her sister, who was sitting in a couch in front of Luna’s desk. Oh, and the stallion called Midnight sat next to Celestia, his red colored eyes looking around while the sisters talked.

“Luna, you were so set on finding the Paragons that I asked for some extra help,” Celestia said, for what seemed like the third time so far that day, “You had already found the Mechanic and I’m sure that the Whisperer is somewhere in the forest. Of the five we hid away in case of absolute emergency we have only uncovered one at least, two at the most.”

“Yes, yes, I know all of this,” Luna impatiently said, “but what about Him?”

“I asked the Doctor to search for an ally that could aid us,” her sister said, “and the Prince here is from another world, one very similar to ours. According to the Doctor Midnight is skilled in the art of all Magic, be it light or dark, and is called the Prince of Magic in his version of Equestria.”

“Another Equestria,” Luna sighed, “I’m getting a headache with everything I learn. So, are there anymore coming from his realm or not? I’d like to know if it’s going to be a three realm war against Thrack if she escapes.”

“I’m the only one coming,” Midnight said, surprising the two since he hadn’t said a word since his arrival.

“I asked the Doctor to see if we could borrow Midnight for an undetermined amount of time,” Celestia said, “and according to him we can borrow him for as long as we wish. Though there will be some problems with his power and your power mixing…”

“What PROBLEMS?” Luna demanded, nearly shouting at her sister and succeeded in turning the attention to them anyway.

“He is the Lord of the Dreamscape in his realm,” Celestia replied, speaking of the world that Luna always visited to make sure their subjects were o.k.

“But that’s mine and Luna’s job,” Nightmare said.

“I’ll stay out of the Dreamscape,” Midnight said, which must have shocked the gathered ponies since several of them gasped, “What? If you two are in control of it here than who am I to overstep my welcome by invading your realm? Besides, in my realm Luna was given the Dreamscape before I was sealed away by my family.”

“The other problem,” Celestia muttered softly before speaking louder, “Midnight was evil at one point, which led to the finding of the Elements and the building of Canterlot for his realm.”

“Oh dear Faust,” Luna said, preventing herself from slamming her head into the desk, “Tell me, what else do we need to know about you before I make up my mind on what to do with you?”

“Let’s see here,” Midnight slowly said, “Was once evil, check. Sealed away due to being evil, check. Lord of the Dreamscape, check. Who my family is, haven’t done that one yet. Guess I know what I’m going to tell you now.
In my realm I am the brother of Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Cadence, brother of Queen Chrysalis and King Sombra, and friend of the God of Chaos, Discord.”

For a couple minutes none of the assembled ponies spoke. It was clear to Midnight that they didn’t believe what he had just told them. Even Celestia, who had talked with the Doctor, was surprised by what she had heard. And this time Luna really did slam her head into her desk, shattering the wood easily.

“Did you know about this Celestia?” Luna accused, cleaning her face of any chips that might have lingered from the explosion.

“No, the Doctor never told me that part,” Celestia confessed, “which makes me wonder what else he forgot to mention to me.”

“He likely forgot to mention that I am bound to something called the Nexus,” Midnight said, drawing more confused looks from them all, “Ugh, I can tell that I am going to need something strong to keep me energized if I’m going to tell you all about the Nexus and my connection to it. What do you drink in times like this?”

“Starbucks Coffee,” Celestia answered.

“Lunar Tea,” Luna and Nightmare piped up.

“Diamond Latte,” Cadence and Shadence said, earning looks from the others, “What? It takes good and keeps us awake.”

“I guess some Lunar Tea will do,” Midnight sighed, “and I would recommend that you all get something as well. I have much to say and not enough patience to repeat myself.”

Not twenty minutes later the five of them were sitting in couches that were facing the board that Midnight would be using. Midnight himself was standing next to it, taking a quick sip from his mug before he put it on a nearby stand. It was clear that he had a lot to go through and they just happened to be waiting patiently for him to begin.

“So, the Nexus,” Midnight started, his magic already changing the board to a crystalline structure, “The structures themselves are crafted from a combination of pure magic and crystals, which emits a special barrier to protect the Bastion from invaders.”

“The Bastion?” Celestia asked, raising an eyebrow.

“The Lost Bastion of Magic it is known as,” Midnight continued, the picture moving out to reveal a crater, “hidden away in the Artic North near the Crystal Kingdom inside a crater big enough to hide the whole of Canterlot inside. Or more like two and a half to three Canterlots. Four gates surround the entire complex, providing a second barrier in case an enemy was to break through the first one. And directly past that lies the second ring, which holds the Nexus itself at the very center.”

“So it’s the Core then?” Celestia asked.

“Yes,” Midnight answered, “The Bastion’s center, the Core if you will, is the house of the Nexus like I said. It is the third and final layer of protection the Nexus needs against anything and anypony. Of course if something were to get that far without an invitation they would quickly find me there to fend them off. And since I am the Prince of Magic there is almost nothing that I am scared of fighting.”

“And the Nexus?” Celestia asked.

“Oh Faust almighty will you just shut up already Celestia?” Nightmare said angrily, turning to the ancient mare, “We won’t get the whole picture with you asking so many questions.”

“The Nexus is the source of all Magic,” Midnight answered, though it was clear he was also getting annoyed, “just like the honest and negative emotions that could emit from the Crystal Kingdom. It requires a special key to open the gates, an invitation from me to pass into the second ring, and my special necklace to open the Core to access the Nexus. Now say somepony foul, dark, and completely evil were to overpower me and take the items to pass through the rings. What do you think would happen to all the magic in the world then?”

“It would become tainted,” Nightmare immediately said, “and it would corrupt and destroy anypony or everypony in the entirety of Equestria.”

“Exactly,” Midnight said slowly, “If the Bastion was to ever fall then all the magic in Equestria would bow to a corrupted pony who would abuse it. And the only ponies I know that could rip that away from me are the Shadows known by the names of Darkstar and Thrack.”

“So my long dead Shadow and a monster,” Celestia said, shaking her head, “Reginald killed Darkstar months ago and Thrack has been locked away within her other side, Sweetie Belle.”

Midnight burst out laughing.

“Silly Celestia,” he said, “I know that you know Darkstar is very much alive. In fact you all know she has been alive for a few hours and hasn’t moved since her reawakening. And I can tell you exactly where she currently is.”

“WHERE. IS. MY. SISTER!?” Nightmare said, nearly shouting the words at him.

“The Catacombs under the Everfree Forest,” Midnight answered, “surrounded by a vast army of long dead ponies that serve Thrack in their unnatural afterlife. Yes she came back, as all Shadows eventually do, but now she is in the lair of the monster Thrack. You can call her weak now, but soon she’ll have enough power to try taking the Nexus and using it’s magic to conquer all the existing realms.”

“What,” Nightmare said, started by the new information.

“She knows I’m here,” Midnight said, “and she can feel the Nexus pulsing with magic. She’ll gather her power back together and come to the Artic North alone. She will challenge me for control of the Nexus and if she beats me she will overtake everything.”

Midnight knocked on the board and it tore itself in half, a magical gateway opening before the eyes of the assembled group. On the other side rested a crystalline structure that stretched upwards into the sky.

“Allow me to invite the five of you to the Lost Bastion of Magic,” Midnight said, beckoning to the portal, “and I will show you something that not even Star Swirl the Bearded knew about.”

As the group walked through the portal they found themselves standing in front of a huge light blue crystalline gate. Behind them, just barely visible to their eyes, was the edge a near white barrier that matched the snow around it. As Midnight appeared on their side of the portal he withdrew a blue crystal key and the gate slowly opened.

“Welcome,” he said, the portal closing once he was out, “to the Lost Bastion of Magic.”

Crystalline buildings stood in almost every direction that the five mares looked in as the group journeyed into the Bastion’s first ring, the gate closing behind them. The magic in the air was enough to refresh all of them and then some. Nightmare felt as if she could fight and defeat her sister in single combat.

The ground moved slightly and a huge form emerged, growing to the height of one of the buildings before looking down on them. The creature, make of crystal like everything else in the Bastion, was none other than a crystal golem. Celestia, familiar with the creature, knew they would be in trouble if such a creature attacked them.

“Prince Midnight,” the golem said, its eyes resting on the light purple alicorn, “We’ve been awaiting your return to the Bastion. Are these ponies your guests?”

“Yes they are,” Midnight replied, a smaller gate ahead of them slowly opening, “Princesses Celestia, Luna, Cadence of the Light Realm and Princesses Nightmare and Shadence of the Shadow Realm.”

“Good, good,” the golem said, rising up to a straight standing position, “I welcome the Princesses of the Light and Shadow Realms to the Lost Bastion of Magic. Enjoy your visit.”

And just like that the golem returned to the ground below them and soon it was no longer visible.

“You have a crystal golem protecting the Bastion,” Celestia said, “I can’t believe they still exist.”

“There are more golems where he came from,” Midnight said, continuing towards the second ring, “and there are other Guardians that exist to defend against invaders besides the golems. You haven’t seen what I truly wanted to show you yet.”

The second ring, though slightly smaller than the one before it, was busy with all sorts of creatures running about.
Creatures made of stone, wind, fire, water, and magic filled the area. Celestia knew that if Midnight were to attack anypony with these creatures then he’d destroy whatever he was facing. She was glad that he was on their side.

“Welcome to the Core,” Midnight said, just as the group entered a large domed building and came to meet nothing.

“What gives Midnight,” Nightmare asked, “If this is the location of the Nexus then shouldn’t there be something that resembles a source of power?”

“Come on Nex, show yourself.” Midnight called out to the empty space as if there was something else in the room.

The body of a light blue serpent appeared before the group, though seeing the magic around it caught the eyes of everypony but Midnight. The serpent looked down at them all and gave what must have been its version of a smile. Luna could have sworn that the serpent was made out of the stars one minute and then flesh the next minute. Even the mighty Celestia couldn’t shake the feeling of meeting an ancient creature off so easily.

“I am the serpent Nex,” the being said, its voice light and kind, “the physical form of what is called the Nexus. I have only shown my true form to Midnight and I trust the five of you to keep it a secret as well.”

“We will do so,” Cadence said, watching the ancient dragon lower to the ground and phasing into a fleshy form.

“How are you feeling in this realm Nex,” Midnight asked the serpent, “adjusting to the magic easily?”

“I am adjusting quite well,” the serpent replied, “I take it you are preparing for the eventual confrontation with the one known as Darkstar?”

“Wait a minute,” Nightmare said, “You sound as if my sister is on her way here. Why is that?”

“The one named Darkstar is already on her way here,” the dragon replied, “She is on her way here right now to seize control of the Bastion and the vast magic I contain.”

-Area just outside the Bastion’s walls-

Walls of darkness sprout up out of the ground and separated to reveal an alicorn standing there. Her coat was colored grey like the rest of the Shadows from her native realm while her flowing tail and mane had the form of black flames. Her royal armor and crown were neatly resting in their respective locations as her light blue eyes scanned the area before her. Darkstar had returned to the Light Realm and she was going to gain the power to conquer everything.

The evil mare approached the first wall of protection, the barrier, and placed a hoof on the shimmering surface. Her magic ate away at the bindings of the spell, almost like it was rotting it away, and it quickly snapped. The barrier began to vanish as it was slowly eaten by the foul magic of Darkstar, who smirked as she passed the threshold. She would defeat the one who held the Bastion and take all the magic it contained.