• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 4,250 Views, 95 Comments

The Purple Coat - MyLittleLucius



Scootaloo is all alone, or is she? Has Scootaloo found someone she can look up to? Is the pony with the purple coat a more suitable mother for the orange filly? All are answered in this touching tale of loss and hope.

  • ...
4
 95
 4,250

Friendship is Feuds

Note: This takes place at the same time as the previous chapter!!

Twilight Sparkle trotted down the street, her sights set for the market. She was humming softly to herself as her red boots crunched through the snow. Many different stands were slightly visible in the distance, soft wisps of smoke floating around them from chimney fires. Twilight picked up her pace until she was practically galloping down the road.

“Hey! Watch where yer goin’!” An orange earth pony snapped, teetering on her hind legs, she had her hooves wrapped around several crates.

“Applejack?” Twilight’s horn began to glow with a magnificent violet light as the crates were lifted into the air to reveal the familiar, friendly face of Applejack.

“Twilight! Howdy! Where’ve ya been all this time?” The farm pony let herself fall down back onto all fours, her hat momentarily covering her bright green eyes before she slid it back to where it belonged. “We’ve all been worried sick about ya.”

“Oh!” Twilight drew small circles in the snow with her hoof, embarrassed to have forgotten about her friends, “Well, I’ve been at home.”

“Can’t say I blame ya, Twi. The coldness has gotten everypony wrapped in their homes at this time of year.” Applejack nodded her understanding.

“Well actually, it wasn’t the cold that kept me in.” The librarian faltered slightly, “Uh, Applejack? Did you know that Scootaloo was an orphan?”

Applejack’s eyes widened until the whites were hardly visible, “What?! Really? She didn’t look it, though…” her voice portrayed extreme confusion as she tried to think of any signs that the little filly didn’t have a home. Finding none, she waited for Twilight to explain.

Twilight nodded, beginning to head back towards the market, she motioned with her tail for Applejack to walk with her. “She said her parents died in that explosion in Detrot. She’s been living in the Crusaders’ clubhouse since then, Pinkie was feeding her.”

“But the explosion was almost two years ago!” Applejack frowned, her eyes full of concern, “An’ I don’t understand why Pinkie wouldn’t tell us about it. She knows we only want ta help.”

“That’s just it, Applejack. Scootaloo didn’t want to go to an orphanage, so she made Pinkie do a Pinkie Swear so she wouldn’t tell.” Twilight gave a small half-smile, “She’s a smart little filly.”

“Well what are we gonna do about it? We can’t let her go on living in that old clubhouse!” the earth pony said hysterically. “How did I not realize she was squatting right under mah nose?”

“It’s alright, I adopted her, I plan on doing it officially when she settles down and decides that she wants to stay.” Twilight’s eyes lit up as she gave Applejack a wide, reassuring grin.

“That’s mighty kind of ya, Twi! I hope everything works out well.” She returned the grin. Turning forward, she realized that they’d passed her booth.

Twilight turned her head side to side, “Where’s your booth, Applejack? I don’t see it around here.”

“That’s ‘cause it’s back there.” Applejack nodded toward the direction they’d come from. She galloped down about three yards before stopping at a booth that featured a red and green apple on the top.

Twilight scurried after her friend, still using her magic to carry the crates. She set them down gently next to Applejack, “Well, I best be off. I’m supposed to be getting cinnamon.” She waved her good-bye to her friend before trotting off in the direction of the spice booth.

“Hello, sir.” The unicorn said in a singsong voice, “I’d like two containers of cinnamon please!” She placed the correct amount of bits on the counter, smiling broadly.

The stallion over the counter, a broad shouldered brown one with a caramel mane, nodded and turned to grab the requested spices from a few shelves that were set up along the sides of the booth. He grabbed the containers with a bit of difficulty before putting them next to Twilight’s bits. Blushing, he brushed the bits into a basket that was unseen under the counter before nodding to the librarian, “Thank ya, lassie!”

Twilight nodded, then placed the cinnamon into her saddlebag before turning back to the rest of the market. She wondered if she needed anything else. Deciding that she didn’t, she began the walk home. She set out at a speedy pace, it was freezing out!

***

“Spike! Scootaloo! I’m home!” Twilight called, trotting to the kitchen and putting the cinnamon in the cupboard. She glanced around, noticing a note on the table. She read it dutifully, fearing the worst. “Oh.” She sighed, immensely relieved.

Spike shuffled down the stairs, yawning, “Hey, Twi. Where’s Scootaloo?” He looked around, his eyes seeming more alert.

“She’s out with her friends.” Twilight said accusingly, her eyebrows raised.

The baby dragon blushed sheepishly, “Oh yeah, right. Aha, must’ve been my sleepy brain. Sleepy, sleepy brain!” He laughed nervously, “Well, I should go…uh…sort the letters from the princess!” He rushed off before Twilight could respond.

Giving an angry huff, the librarian trotted over to her desk where a book lay open. It was the book about the Elements of Harmony, her favorite. She’d just settled down to read when a loud knock was heard at the door.

Sighing, Twilight stood and made her way to the door, flinging it open to see Pinkie Pie standing there. Suddenly, she felt as if she were being crushed by a giant, “Ack! Pinkie, you’re choking me!”

“Sorry.” Pinkie stepped back to let her friend breathe, “But I was just so worried about you that I thought you might be sick and I thought ‘Oh no! What if she needs some soup?’ So I went to get you some soup. Funny thing is, I bumped into Scootaloo and Scootaloo told me that she’d been staying here, and knowing…” she stopped and took inhaled deeply, “Well, knowing what I know because I can’t tell anypony, I just knew that you took her in and oh my gosh thank you sooooo much Twilight!”

Twilight’s eyes were wide as she tried to separate Pinkie’s fast spoken words into sentences, “Oh! She told you she’s been staying here? Nothing else?”

“Well….she said she was going to see Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom.” Pinkie bit her lip, thinking back to her conversation with the little filly.

“Ah, so she said nothing about me unofficially adopting her?” the unicorn asked inquisitively, leaning forward slightly.

“Oh, no. But I figured that out on my own.” The party pony ruffled Twilight’s mane with her hoof, “But I threw a ‘WELCOMEBACKTOPONYVILLETWILIGHTBECAUSEYOU’VEBEENGONEFORSOLONGWEALLTHOUGHTYOUFORGOTABOUTUS party!” She grinned, “It starts now!”

“A whatty what what party?” Twilight’s face was the definition of confusion as Pinkie led her to Sugarcube Corner.

“You need to get reacquainted with your friends!” Pinkie explained, as if that was completely obvious. She pushed open the door to the bakery and shoved Twilight in front of her before flicking on the lights.

Ponies of all colors, shapes, and sizes burst out from hiding places throughout the building, “SURPRISE!”

Pinkie blew a party whistle in Twilight’s face, “See? Everypony is here, just for you!” She looked around giddily before hopping off to mingle.

“Guys, I’m gonna jet. I have mad tricks I’ve been wanting to try.” A cyan pegasus said smoothly, trotting towards the door.

Twilight blocked her way, “Rainbow, who are you going to get to watch your tricks? Everypony is here.”

“I haven’t seen shrimpy around here anywhere.” The rainbow pony commented, jerking her head slightly to the side as if to say ‘Get out of my way.’

“Shrimpy?” Twilight gritted her teeth angrily, hoping she wasn’t referring to Scootaloo.

“You know, orange, about this tall, can’t fly. Her.” Dash nodded, as if this explained everything.

To Twilight, it did. She jumped into the air as her tail and mane burst into flames, much like they’d done once before, “Don’t talk about my daughter that way!” She snarled into Dash’s face.

Dash pushed Twilights face away from her own, “Calm down. It’s true, she’ll never fly! I mean really, have you seen those…..wings…..daughter?” Her voice slowly got quieter, “But, that’s…Not possible…What about her parents?”

“You really are a numbskull, aren’t you?” Twilight growled, “She has been following you like a shadow for months, and you never stopped to think that her parents would never have let her stay out all day just to follow some lame wannabe athlete who never graduated high school!”

“What are you saying!?” Dash snarled back, their noses were smashed together as they both snarled into each other’s face.

“I’m saying that she was an orphan! And she obviously wanted you to teach her how to fly, take her in! It’s not like you didn’t have time for her. You spend every day napping!” Twilight shouted, anger pulsing through her veins.

“You know what, Twilight?” Dash backed away slightly, shaking her head, “Saying I didn’t care for her at all is going way too far. You only just came through for her. Do you think I could take her in? I LIVE IN A CLOUD, TWILIGHT! Somepony who cannot fly cannot get up to a cloud, duh.”

“You think I’m an idiot? You were just making fun of her wings and how you said she’d never fly! Well guess what, she has. I taught her, which is more than you’ve ever done. And aren’t you at least strong enough to lift a little filly up to your house? Or are your muscles as weak as your spine?” Twilight shook her head violently, “I’m outta here. Scootaloo will be wondering where I am.”

“Who needs ya, this party will be so much more better-er without Bozo McEgghead to ruin all the fun!” Rainbow Dash laughed victoriously as the door slammed and Twilight left.

The unicorn was angrily stomping home, knowing she’d have to cool down on the way. She touched a hoof to her mane; it was slightly charred from her rage. She quickly stopped off near a snow drift and shoved the top of her head into it, then her tail. She hoped the charring wasn’t permanent.

With fresh chills, Twilight was galloping full speed ahead to the library, it was just past sundown, and the sky was a beautiful purple color that was a bit darker than her fur. She was surprised to only see Spike when she entered her home, “Hey Spike, is Scootaloo back?”

Spike shook his head, glancing back at her, he had his feet propped up on a pillow, and he was holding a mug of hot cocoa. “I’m sure she’ll be here soon.”

He was right. After about fifteen minutes of Twilight’s constant pacing, the door opened. Twilight rushed towards her little filly, “Oh, Scootaloo, I was worried when it started getting dark! Are you alright?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Scootaloo smiled, gently removing herself from the unicorn’s grip, “We’re not very good models.” She announced, blushing slightly.

Twilight patted the filly’s head, “Don’t worry, you’ll get it next time! Now, how are your cuts?” She bent to examine Scootaloo’s legs. “Ooh! Great! We can get back into the air tomorrow!”

“Yay!” Scootaloo leapt into the air joyously, “I better get to bed and rest my wings!” She fluttered her wings as if for emphasis and rushed up the stairs, leaving her scooter, saddlebag and helmet on the floor.

Twilight smiled, she would never forget that cute little exclamation of joy. Nor would she forget the face that accompanied it, pink eyes wide and sparkling, mouth wide, the corners turned upwards. That face was one of an angel. She turned to follow Scootaloo and to tuck her in.