• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 4,250 Views, 95 Comments

The Purple Coat - MyLittleLucius



Scootaloo is all alone, or is she? Has Scootaloo found someone she can look up to? Is the pony with the purple coat a more suitable mother for the orange filly? All are answered in this touching tale of loss and hope.

  • ...
4
 95
 4,250

The Taste of Air

Scootaloo awoke to the soft creak of a wooden door as Twilight poked her head into the filly’s room, “Scootaloo, I made breakfast!” She called out.

A loud throat clearing was heard from downstairs.

Twilight blushed, letting her ears fall, “Uh, Spike made breakfast, actually.” She closed the door again, allowing Scootaloo time to wake up.

Scootaloo gave a large, loud yawn and stood up. She’d forgotten how nice it was to sleep in a bed. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and made her way slowly to the window. She pried it open with a bit of difficulty and gazed out at Ponyville and the rolling fields that lay beyond.

The little pegasus gave a small smile and stayed there for a minute more before closing the window and heading downstairs to the kitchen. Spike and Twilight were already sitting at the table, waffles on both their plates. Another chair stood empty, a clean plate in front of it.

Twilight followed Scootaloo’s gaze, “Oh! Spike thought you might like to organize your own plate, but if you want, I can do it for you.”

Scootaloo shrugged, “That’s alright, I can do it.” She grasped the plate carefully in her jaws and moved it to the counter, where a few waffles were left on a larger plate. She slid all three of them onto her plate and glanced around for something to put on top of them. She noted the cut up gems that Spike must have used and the can of whipped cream and banana peel from Twilight.

An apple bumped Scootaloo’s shoulder, making her flinch; it had a sparkling aura of purple around it. She grasped its stem and nodded her thanks to Twilight, who just gave a grin in reply. Carefully, Scootaloo grasped a butter knife and cut the apple into slices and arranged the slices in a circle on top of her waffles.

With her mouth half an inch away from the plate, Scootaloo got a great idea. She turned back to Twilight, “Do you have any cinnamon?” She asked politely.

Nodding, Twilight stood and opened a nearby cupboard, using her magic to grab a little box of cinnamon from the top shelf, “Here you go!” She placed the cinnamon next to Scootaloo’s plate and took her seat across from Spike at the table.

Spike looked longingly at his untouched food; Twilight had told him that it was polite to wait for Scootaloo to sit down before he ate. He had abided by this rule, as much as he hated it. Twilight had given him the scoop on things last night after Scootaloo had gone to bed, and he was determined to make the filly feel as welcomed as possible.

Scootaloo quickly covered her waffles with cinnamon, set the cinnamon container on the counter, then trotted carefully over to the table to sit in the vacant chair.

Spike gave an excited, questioning look to Twilight. She nodded, rolling her eyes. The baby dragon gave an excited squee before plunging face first into his waffles.

Twilight winced as a bit of pancake hit her cheek and stuck there. She wiped it off with an annoyed huff and began to eat her own waffles in a polite manner, using her magic to levitate a fork to the waffles, then to her mouth.

Scootaloo giggled at Spike’s rudimentary manner of eating before looking down at her plate, taking careful, small bites. She didn’t want to seem like a pig, but her cinnamon idea had been confirmed a great one. She couldn’t help but take a few larger, sloppier bites.

Twilight finished her food, politely waiting for Scootaloo to finish hers before asking, “So, ready to fly?”

Scootaloo’s face immediately lit up, her eyes seemed to sparkle, “Of course!” She was practically out the door when Twilight called her back.

“Scoots, you may want to wait until the food settles in your stomach.” The unicorn suggested, “Don’t want to get sick on your first time in the air, do you?”

“Not at all!” Scootaloo imagined getting sick while flying, she’d have to remember it any time she was in the air. That was not an appealing thought, especially not to anypony below her. Shuddering, she gave a small half smile, “I suppose we could wait a little while.” She trotted over to the lounge chairs and settled herself into one, curling her fore hooves up to her chest and tucking her hind hooves under her.

Twilight chuckled and followed her, sitting herself in the other lounge chair. She herself tucked all of her hooves under her and tried to get some sleep, she looked much like a sleeping dog.

Closing her eyes as well, Scootaloo entered a very vivid dream. She was soaring through the air, it was amazing. The wind was rushing through her mane and tail, whipping both backwards. The air hitting her face smelt fresh, like a meadow of orange trees. She felt a presence next to her and whipped her head around to see Rainbow Dash.

“Nice moves, kid.” The rainbow pegasus winked, “Aren’t you glad you chose me instead of that egghead, Twilight?”

What happened next surprised Scootaloo, she lost control of her vocal cords as the dream took control, “What are you talking about?! You think you’re twenty percent cooler than every pony you meet, but Twilight is two hundred percent cooler than you!” With that, she accelerated ferociously, the wind even whipping her eyelids into her eyes.

Suddenly, a large pink explosion erupted from behind Scootaloo, sending her speeding forward. She turned back for a quick look, her lower jaw practically dropped off of her face. A sonic rainboom, but pink. A sonic Scootboom, if you will. Scootaloo watched as Rainbow Dash faltered, her own cyan jaw dropped as she stared dumbstruck at the now fading pink ring in the air.

Scootaloo was jolted back to the waking realm as Twilight gently nudged her shoulder, “Ready to go, Scoots?” Twilight asked, excited to teach this little filly the magic of flight, even if she couldn’t experience it herself.

Scootaloo forgot all about her dream and jumped up, “Yes, of course!” She rushed over to the door and trotted in place as if to say “Hurry up, already!”

Twilight giggled, trotting outside and heading out to the same hill they’d practiced take offs on. Scootaloo followed excitedly, her wings fluttering in anticipation.

Reaching the hill, Twilight instructed Scootaloo to sit down. The filly complied, sitting on the ground impatiently, squirming slightly. Twilight smiled understandingly, “This will only take a few minutes. When you take off, try to do so at a light slope. Your last take offs were vertical, that makes it harder to lift off with as small as your wings are.”

Scootaloo nodded, “Okay, can I go now?” The sentence came out so fast it seemed like one word.

“Not quite, just remember when you’re up there that if you start to get tired, you can land by doing a backwards take off or by simply staying in place and fluttering down.” Twilight finished her briefing with a nod to the sky, “Go on up, then.” She sat down on the center of the hill, ready to watch the Crusader spread her wings.

Scootaloo’s eyes widened, they looked similar to a young foal’s eyes on Hearth’s Warming Eve. She stood in take off position, using her wings to push herself up and forward. Gently sloping forward, she felt the same rush of air she’d felt in her dream. She turned her head, making sure nopony was next to her. Relived to see that she was alone, she looked down and saw Twilight looking up at her with pride in her eyes.

Twilight watched Scootaloo rise up higher and higher until she was a speck of orange in the sky, she was slightly worried that she’d lose sight of the pegasus, but this wasn’t the case. Scootaloo was beginning to tire; she began to slope downwards towards the hill.

Scootaloo fluttered her wings furiously to slow her descent, but eventually she exhausted herself. She fell straight to the ground about four yards from the hill. She shook herself off, thanking Celestia that she hadn’t been too far up in the air.

Twilight rushed over, “Scootaloo! Are you alright?” She examined the few cuts and forming bruises that the filly held out. “Well, it’s not serious, but we may have to postpone flying lessons for a little while.”

“Awwh! Why?” Scootaloo’s eyes began to tear up, then she realized that Twilight was just looking out for her, and whining wasn’t something one did when one was grateful. She immediately stopped herself, “I mean, alright.”

The element of magic smiled, “Alright. Let’s head home and get you patched up.” She set Scootaloo on her back and trotted off to the library.

When they got back, Twilight took Scootaloo up to her room, setting the worn out filly in her bed. She used magic to heal her cuts, for the most part, it really accelerated the healing process. She tucked Scoots in before closing the door with magic and lying next to her.

“What are you doing?” the injured pegasus asked curiously.

“I want to make sure you get to sleep okay, my little pony.” Twilight nuzzled Scootaloo’s ear lovingly.

Scootaloo felt as if her heart would burst, she cuddled up next to Twilight and fell asleep. Twilight had planned to leave her be once she fell asleep, but moving now would probably wake her up. The library pony settled down with her head lightly atop Scootaloo’s.

“I’ll make sure nothing bad ever happens to you.” Twilight vowed softly, even if she was the only one to hear it, she promised herself that she would keep that promise forever.