• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 4,251 Views, 95 Comments

The Purple Coat - MyLittleLucius



Scootaloo is all alone, or is she? Has Scootaloo found someone she can look up to? Is the pony with the purple coat a more suitable mother for the orange filly? All are answered in this touching tale of loss and hope.

  • ...
4
 95
 4,251

Friendship is Joyous

Scootaloo woke up on her own accord to the sunlight filtering through her window. She yawned and attempted to cuddle into the pillow, wanting just a few more minutes of sleep. She stayed like that for a while before deciding that it just wasn’t going to happen. She stood up and stretched her wings out, they were sore from her flight the previous day.

The orange filly raised her left hoof to examine her bruises and cuts, she was happy to see that Twilight’s healing spell was working splendidly. Her cuts were a nice baby pink color and her bruises were dying down to a light yellowish tint. Figuring she would be back in the sky tomorrow, she figured a day on the ground would be fine.

Scootaloo trotted downstairs to see Spike sitting alone at the table, “Hey Spike!” the pegasus grinned, “Where’s Twilight?” She swung her head from side to side, looking for the unicorn.

Spike yawned, “She went shopping, she should be back in an hour or so.” He patted the empty chair beside him, “Come sit down, I made you daffodil sandwich!”

“Sandwiches for breakfast?” Scootaloo questioned, trotting over to sit in the chair Spike had indicated. She munched on her sandwich quietly.

“Breakfast?! Scoots, it’s noon.” Spike nodded towards a clock above them, it read 12:17.

Scootaloo blushed, “Oh.” She smiled slightly, continuing to eat her sandwich, “Well, what are you having, then?”

Spike pushed his plate towards her so she could see the bits of sapphire that littered it, “You took to long to get here.” He leaned back in his chair, putting his feet up on the table.

“Ew, gross!” Scootaloo giggled, shoving his feet down, “Keep your feet off the table!”

The baby dragon rolled his eyes and stood up, “I’m going back to sleep. See ya later.” He shuffled up the stairs and to his basket.

Scootaloo finished her sandwich and looked around, finding what she wanted, a scroll and a quill. She wrote Twilight a short note:

‘Twilight,

I left to go see Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, hope you don’t mind!

~Scoots’

Leaving the note on the table, she went upstairs to get her scooter. She placed her helmet on her head, snapping it shut with some difficulty. She went to grab her saddlebag from the top of her dresser and as she pulled it down, her blanket fell out and onto the floor. She bent quickly to grab it, then gently put it under her pillow before putting on her saddlebag and heading back downstairs.

She left the house quickly, speeding off down towards Sweet Apple Acres. She waved to every pony she passed, including Pinkie Pie, who jumped after her. The party pony caught up easily, her logic defying ways were at work once again, “Scootaloo! Wait!”

Scootaloo skidded to a stop, sending dirt into the air like a tidal wave. “What is it, Pinkie?” She removed her helmet so she could hear better, her mane a lot messier than normal.

“Where have you been? I was getting really worried! Like, maybe you had been taken by Nightmare Moon! Oh wait, she’s nice now…BUT WHAT ABOUT DISCORD?! Oh, uh…maybe you got taken by a-a-a dragon! Or maybe a-“ The pink pony was hysterical.

Scootaloo cut her off, “I’ve just been staying at Twilight’s. She didn’t tell you because she was teaching me how to fly the past two days.” She filled her friend in quickly.

“Oh!” Pinkie Pie looked relieved, “Well, where are you going?!” She smiled broadly.

The pegasus smiled politely, “I’m going to Sweet Apple Acres, I should really get going. Seeya Pinkie!” She placed her helmet back on and sped away before Pinkie could reply.

The party pony just waved, “BYE!” She shouted, getting angry looks from passerby, which she ignored.

***

Scootaloo arrived at Sweet Apple Acres, Applejack noticed her and immediately called for her sister, “Apple Bloom! Yer friend’s here!” Turning to Scootaloo she smiled warmly, “Haven’t seen you out here in a while, Scoots! Where ya been?”

The filly kicked her scooter into the grass, tossing her helmet away with it, “Oh, I’ve been staying with Twilight.” She rubbed her mane, making it look somewhat like it usually did.

“Well, that’s nice.” The farm pony smiled as Apple Bloom rushed out of the barn with Sweetie Belle hot on her tail.

“Scootaloo!” Apple Bloom cried joyously, “We haven’t seen ya in a while! Where were you?!”

Scootaloo smiled, “I was staying at Twilight’s.” She was getting tired of repeating this fact.

Apple Bloom nodded knowingly, and Sweetie Belle let out squeaks of joy. “Come on girls! Let’s go to the clubhouse!” the white unicorn’s voice cracked with joy as she raced off to their clubhouse. The other Crusaders followed quickly, laughing all the way.

Sitting in a circle in the clubhouse, the Cutie Mark Crusaders grinned at each other with mutual joy for Scootaloo’s luck. They all knew she was an orphan, but they were sworn to secrecy. “So how are we gonna get our cutie marks, girls?” Sweetie Belle asked, her horn sparkled at the tip from her excitement.

Apple Bloom shrugged, “How about hoof wrasslin’?” She suggested lightly.

Sweetie Belle shook her head, “That doesn’t sound like a good idea.” She held out her front leg, too skinny to take on anypony in a hoof wrestle.

Scootaloo jumped up, “What about we get cutie marks in modeling?”

Sweetie Belle gasped, smiling, “Like Fluttershy-type modeling!”

Apple Bloom nodded, “Sweetie Belle, will yer sister give us some clothes to try on?”

The unicorn nodded, “Of course! Let’s go!”

And with that, the fillies set out for the Carousel Boutique.

***

“Thanks, Rarity!” Sweetie Belle grinned at the older unicorn.

“Not a problem, darlings, now go behind the curtain and I’ll start the music.” She trotted over to a radio, pushing the play button with her hoof. An upbeat track started playing.

Scootaloo was the first to step out, she was rocking black combat boots and a denim jacket. Her mane was swept back as if she were standing in high winds.

After the pegasus had gone a few stepped, Sweetie Belle stepped out gingerly. She wore a silky white dress that was embellished with pink and purple flowers. Her mane hung down in more curls than normal, bouncing as she walked with her head up high.

Last came Apple Bloom, she jumped out from the curtain excitedly. She wore a straw hat and a soft yellow sundress. Her mane and tail were tied back into braids.

Scootaloo reached the end of the catwalk, standing up tall. Then came Sweetie Belle, standing next to her happily. Apple Bloom jumped in, knocking Sweetie Belle off balance. The Cutie Mark Crusaders crashed to the floor in a heap, laughing giddily in the pool of fabric they’d crashed into.

“Did we get our cutie marks?” Sweetie Belle asked urgently.

Three flanks were held in the air, one orange, one white, and one yellow. All were blank.

“Aww.” Three disgruntled voices rose up from the fabrics. Three sad faces appeared as each filly stood up and shook the clothing off of themselves.

Rarity gave them a reassuring smile, “That’s alright, girls, I’m sure you’ll get them next time!” She gathered all the clothing with her magic and placed it in a heap by the stairs.

The fillies brightened up, “Yeah!” They laughed, running out the door as a disgruntled Rarity turned to clean up their mess.

***

The fillies said their good-byes, promising to get their cutie marks next time. Scootaloo rode her scooter home, hoping Twilight wasn’t too mad at her; it was getting a bit late.

She burst through the door and found herself wrapped in Twilight’s hooves, “Oh, Scootaloo, I was worried when it started getting dark! Are you alright?”

“Yeah, yeah.” Scootaloo smiled, gently removing herself from the unicorn’s grip, “We’re not very good models.” She announced, blushing slightly.

Twilight patted the filly’s head, “Don’t worry, you’ll get it next time! Now, how are your cuts?” She bent to examine Scootaloo’s legs. “Ooh! Great! We can get back into the air tomorrow!”

“Yay!” Scootaloo leapt into the air joyously, “I better get to bed and rest my wings!” She fluttered her wings as if for emphasis and rushed up the stairs, leaving her scooter, saddlebag and helmet on the floor.

Twilight sighed, picking up Scootaloo’s things and slowly following the filly upstairs.

Scootaloo snuggled into her bed, grasping her blanket and holding it close to her face. Sometimes she liked to pretend that it was her mother, and she’d tell her everything she did that day. She explained what had happened that day, and when she got no answer, as always, it brought tears to her eyes, as always.

Twilight entered the room, dumping the filly’s things by her bed, then she saw Scootaloo’s face, “Scootaloo! Are you alright?” She looked concerned.

Scootaloo sniffled, smiling softly, “Yeah, just thinking about my parents.” She curled around the blanket as tears fell down her face.

Twilight walked over and hugged the little pegasus, “Don’t cry, Scoots, I’m sure your parents would be very proud of you.”

Scootaloo rubbed her eye with a hoof, “Really, you think so?” She sniffled, a smile forming on her lips.

“Of course, now, get some sleep.” Twilight turned to leave, but Scootaloo called her back.

“Uh, Twilight? Could you stay with me tonight?” Scootaloo called softly.

Twilight smiled, “Of course I can, Scootaloo, anytime. Anytime.”

Author's Note:

I think I rushed this too much, but I didn't wanna get into the habit of not updating it. I have a huge exam to study for, but don't let that be an excuse! I'll try to slow down next time, sorry guys!