• Published 7th Dec 2012
  • 1,311 Views, 56 Comments

The Matter Of Friendship - HeartShieldFiM



Discord is sent to Ponyville to learn about friendship. Pinkie will be his 'mentor'.

  • ...
3
 56
 1,311

Chapter 1 ~ Auntie Pinkie!

‘Revenge is sweet…’ Discord muttered, squeezing his eyes. ‘Revenge is served ice cold…’
He grinned. ‘So revenge is…’
‘An ice cream!’ a high voice yelled.
The draconequus rolled with his eyes. ‘No, Pinkie. I wasn’t done yet.’
‘Oh,’ the pink pony sighed. Then, with new happiness coming out of nowhere, she said: ‘But was I right?’
‘Right with WHAT,’ Discord said, slightly annoyed.
‘With the riddle!’ Pinkie said. ‘Revenge is sweet, revenge is served ice cold, which means that revenge must be an ice cream!’
Discord chuckled. ‘You were right, okay?’
‘Ehm, duh,’ Pinkie replied. ‘I am ALWAYS right. By the way, you’re moody.’ With those words, she hopped away.
Discord shook his head. ‘Silly pony.’

That night, Discord couldn’t fall asleep. He was tossing and turning in bed, but the sleep didn’t want to redeem him from his thoughts. He thought about Screwball and Pinkie, the only two in Equestria who seemed to accept him. Duh, Screwball was his own wicked creation and Pinkie was just… Pinkie.
Her friends didn’t like the thought of Pinkie playing with him. Especially Twilight had her doubts about the draconequus. He understood their fear, he had locked them up in a maze without their powers to save themselves. Only Pinkie Pie and AJ didn’t have any special stuff, such as magic.
It was just… since Screwball freed him from his stone prison, he tried to become one of THEM. One of the happy, crazy ones in Ponyville. He joined bookclubs, cooking clubs, everything, just to become one of them, like he was a long time ago.
But everypony seemed to avoid him. Everypony, except Pinkie (well, not to forget about Screwball but that didn’t really count).
Pinkie didn’t even try to convince the others about Discord’s change. She wasn’t that kind of pony. She just waited for stuff to happen.
‘I’ll make stuff happen for her,’ Discord mumbled, and with those words, he finally fell asleep.

The next morning came with a bright sun, shining straight through the gap between Discord’s curtains.
‘Grmblr,’ was all he could say as the ray of light in his eyes woke him up.
‘Daddy Discord! Daddy Discord!’ Screwball knocked on his door. ‘Daddy, are you awake?’
Discord smiled and stretched his back. ‘Come in, Screwball.’
Screwball bashed through the door. ‘Hi Daddy! I missed you so badly!’
Discord shook his head. ‘You sleep in the room next to mine. How could you possibly miss me?’
Screwball didn’t answer. She jumped on his bed and bounced up and down. ‘Daddy, Daddy, are we gonna play today?’
‘Sure, my dear,’ Discord replied. ‘Let’s cause some chaos together.’
Screwball frowned, as if she was thinking (be honest, we all know she’s not). ‘I thought Celestia told you you couldn’t cause chaos in Equestria ever again!’
Discord sighed. His “daughter” was right. Celestia forced him to promise never cause chaos again. At least, not in Equestria. He told her that he would keep his promise, but then she made him do something to make sure he couldn’t possibly break it. Never. He made him do a Pinkie Promise.
‘Aunt Pinkie!’ Screwball yelled. ‘I saw Auntie Pinkie!’
At that moment, the bell rang.
‘You open the door,’ Discord said. ‘I will get up and brush my teeth.’
Screwball ran away.
‘What would Auntie Pinkie think of me if she’d smell my morning-breath?’ Discord said to himself.

Less than five minutes later, the three sat together at the dining table.
‘Could you pass me the toast, please?’ Pinkie asked.
Screwball grabbed the basket with toast and threw it at Pinkie, who caught it in mid-air.
‘Nice one,’ Discord mumbled, while chewing on some strawberries.
‘Don’t talk while your mouth is still full of food!’ Pinkie said. ‘That’s not… well, never mind, actually. I do it myself all the time!’
Screwball giggled. ‘Auntie Pinkie, what are we gonna do today?’
‘Well,’ Pinkie replied. ‘I am going to plan a party, and it would be great if you and your father would help me.’ She turned to Discord. ‘Hm?’
‘Well,’ he mumbled. ‘If you insist…’
He sounded uninterested but Pinkie knew what was going on inside his head. ‘Good,’ she said. ‘I see you in two hours at Sugar Cube Corner!’
As she stood up and gave Screwball a stroke on her mane, she smiled and said: ‘Don’t do any…’
Discord shook his head. ‘I have promised to the Princess not to cause chaos in a bad way anymore.’
Pinkie nodded. ‘Oki-doki-loki!’ Then, she walked away.

When Discord and Screwball arrived at the shop, Pinkie was already busy hanging lanterns. ‘Oh, hi there!’ she said, and glided down the ladder. ‘You are right on time!’
She gave Discord some lanterns. ‘You can fly,’ she said. ‘So hang these lanterns on the edge of the roof, please.’
‘Didn’t your friends want to help you?’ Discord replied. ‘You know, Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy can fly, too.’
‘Rainbow Dash spreads the invitations,’ Pinkie said. ‘She can come everywhere, also in Cloudsdale.’
‘And Fluttershy?’ Discord asked.
‘Fluttershy is visiting her family, just out of town. She won’t be back before tomorrow.’
‘Dad!’ Screwball yelled.
Discord turned around. ‘What? Are you hurt?’
Screwball pointed at a filly. ‘Look, Daddy. He has a balloon. Could I have one too, please?’
Discord sighed in relief. Before he could say anything, Pinkie gave a huge, butterfly-shaped balloon to Screwball. ‘There you go. Balloons are my special talent, as you can see. I mean, they’re my cutie mark!’
‘Thank you, auntie Pinkie!’
Pinkie tied some balloons up to the doorknob. ‘Discord, could you please, please hang up those lanterns?’
Discord looked at the lanterns in his hand. ‘Oh, yes, these things.’
He smiled, and before you could say “Wonderbolts”, the lanterns flew up to the roof. ‘Tadaah,’ Discord said.
Pinkie frowned. ‘Ahum. Didn’t you promise not to use magic for chaos anymore?’
‘As you can see,’ Discord replied. ‘This is no chaos. This is just hanging up some lanterns.’
Pinkie shrugged. ‘Right, but please be careful, okay?’
‘Hello, Pinkie Pie!’ three voices cried in unison.
Pinkie turned around to see three little fillies. ‘Hi there, Cutie Mark Crusaders! How are you today?’
‘Awesome!’ Scootaloo replied. ‘Rainbow Dash just helped us with getting our cutie marks. Too bad it didn’t work out.’
‘Really?’ Pinkie asked. ‘Let me guess: she told you to bring around some Very Important Invitations for a party?’
Scootaloo, Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle looked at each other.
‘Uhm, yes… how did you know?’ Sweetie Belle said.
Pinkie shrugged. ‘Let’s call it intuition.’
‘Hey girls!’ Screwball yelled. ‘Whaddayadoin’?’
Scootaloo sighed. ‘Oh, great. Uhm, Pinkie, I think we gotta go now. Rainbow Dash told us she got some… important stuff for us to do.’
‘Oki-doki-loki!’ Pinkie said. ‘Cheers!’
Only Discord knew what was going on. The three fillies didn’t really like him, neither did they like his daughter. Screwball was… just Screwball. And some ponies didn’t like her at all. Her eyes were too twisted, her mane was too curly and her cap was too silly. Each of the ponies had their own reason to dislike Screwball.
‘Hello-o!’
Discord snapped out of his thoughts. ‘Uhm, sorry Pinkie, what did you say?’
‘I said that your normal, non-chaotic lanterns begin to morph into birds.’ Pinkie growled.
Discord looked up. The lanterns still hung on the roof, but some of them had wings popping out. ‘Oh dear, oh dear,’ he muttered.
‘I like it, Daddy! I like the birds!’
Discord turned around. Screwball sat down on his tail and looked up at the lanterns. ‘They’re cool.’
Discord nodded. ‘They are, indeed, but not quite fitting for a party.’
He raised his claw and the lanterns gently swirled down to the ground. The wings disappeared.
‘I am terribly sorry, Pinkie Pie. I didn’t mean to cause… chaos.’ Discord looked at his feet.
‘Fine,’ Pinkie said. ‘Now please, just go sit there and be quiet.’ With a frown, she walked away.