• Published 2nd Dec 2012
  • 2,014 Views, 111 Comments

MLP: The Next Generation - The Grimm Reaper



The next Generation of the Elements of Harmony must come together to defeat the upcoming threat.

  • ...
11
 111
 2,014

Chapter 2: Mistakes Were Made

You’re… Twilight Sparkle’s descendant?” Hawkeye asked as she felt her physical energy vanish from her body. The white stallion nodded, showing next to no emotion to the title.

“Are you surprised? I’m not that different from my Great Grandmother. She too was insane in her own way. Always the pedantic pony hell-bent on doing things as efficiently as possible and always on time. If she failed, she’d go crazy. If she failed Celestia, however. Oh, do not be around for that.”

Hawkeye watched as the Stallion looked beside her and grinned at a seemingly invisible pony.

“I know you don’t like it when I act the chronicler and reveal your worst moments. But you’re dead, and I’m ever so bored in here.” he added. It became clear to Hawkeye that he was talking to Twilight herself from beyond the grave, or at least he thought he was talking to her. Regardless, she felt uncomfortable having a potential spirit standing next to her so closely and she stepped a few steps to the right, getting some distance between herself and the ghost.

“Mr Grimoire, would you be willing to help me find the other Elements of Harmony? You are my only lead and without you, I don’t know where to go from here.” she asked, drawing the Stallion’s attention.

“It’s quite easy really. Just search for ponies that closest resemble the elements; somepony who’s always honest, happy, generous, kind. You know, the whole friendship shtick.” he replied, shifting in his seemingly uncomfortable restraints.

“Nevertheless, will you come?” Hawkeye urged.

“No. I don’t like you enough…yet. Besides, now is not the time. Come back when you’ve found Honesty and something that can make me want to leave.” he replied, shifting on his bed. Hawkeye watched as he rotated around and used the wall he was against to shift upside down.

“What do I need to give you?” she asked, understanding bribery all too well. Grimoire hesitated for a second before smiling with glee.

“What’s white, sticky and often goes all over your face when you try to eat it?” he asked.

It took a moment for Hawkeye to register the question and come up with an answer to what he was implying. Needless to say, she was revolted. She scrunched up her face and yelled at him.

“You sick bastard!! How could you even think I would go that far to get your help in this mission? I wouldn’t do that with you if you were the last Stallion in Equestria!” she then stormed out of the room and slammed the door behind her, leaving Grimoire in the dark once more.

“All I wanted was a salad with mayonnaise on top.” he said calmly, but Hawkeye was out of earshot.

The guard stormed out of the asylum and made her way back to the castle. She’d have to look for a new lead if she was going to find the other elements. Her mind was fuming with rage as she passed her fellow guards at the entrance, ignoring their worried questions.

“The nerve of that guy; wanting me to do that with him! I’d sooner bed with the Captain than…that!”

“I’m not sure whether or not to take you up on that offer, or be insulted as it sounded like the second worst thing you would ever do.” a familiar voice reached Hawkeye’s ears and she stopped in her tracks, her ears dropped to the ground. She turned her head around to see the Captain himself; Golden Armour standing behind her with a quirky expression on his face. He was a tall pale yellow Stallion with a light blue mane and Tail. It had a streak through it that was famous throughout his bloodline. It was a darker shade of blue than the rest of his hair. He wore golden plates over his body with the royal crest of Celestia engraved on the chest. Hawkeye dropped her jaw as she realised she’s spoken aloud.

“C-captain! I’m so s-sorry. I didn’t mean to imply that b-b-bedding with you is a bad thing. I think it would be a good thing – not that I think about bedding with you, although it would be a nice thought – oh somepony shut me up!”

Golden Armour smiled as he watched his subordinate trip over herself. He began to laugh as she blushed redder than a tomato.

“I see. Very well, Lieutenant, let us move on to the other part of the subject. What exactly is…that?” he asked, bringing her back to her senses. Hawkeye frowned as she remembered what it was that had ticked her off so much.

“Some crazy stallion that wants me to do something with him in exchange for his help in finding the other Elements of Harmony.” she replied. Golden Armour considered her words and leaned in closer to her.

“I figured that much, but what is this… something you mentioned.” Hawkeye knew he wasn’t going to let her go without telling him. She grew red again and looked away shyly.

“It’s too embarrassing, Captain. I don’t feel comfortable with this.” she replied. Golden Armour sighed and nodded.

“Very well, who was it then? Perhaps I can speak with him.” Hawkeye sighed with relief as she looked her Captain in the eye.

“His name’s Grimoire and–.”

The guard was cut off by a loud shout from Golden. His seemingly calm and carefree features turned dark and angry. “WHAT?!” he shouted, drawing some of the guards’ attention from their posts. Hawkeye flinched and curled up under his gaze.

“You went and saw Grimoire? For what purpose?” he demanded. Hawkeye was growing scared. Golden Armour was ruthless when out in the field and in battle, he was easily the strongest of the guards. But never in his service did he snap like he had now.

“H-he’s the Element of Magic. The Princesses ordered me to seek his help in searching for the remaining four elements.” she replied timidly.

“There are six elements, there should be five remaining.” Golden said, his tone still threateningly angry.

“I’m Loyalty. Four remain to be found.” Hawkeye clarified. She was beginning to shake on the spot as she covered her face with her hooves.

“Of course that crazy bastard would be the Element of Magic. And he wanted you to perform some horrendous act with him in exchange for his help?”

Hawkeye began to feel as though the Captain’s anger was no longer directed at her. She stopped shaking and dared to look back up at him. He no longer bore an angry expression, but one of irritation.

“As well as find the Element of Honesty without him.” she said. The conversation ended with the Captain storming out of sight, off to wherever he went to calm down no doubt. Hawkeye stood in the middle of a hallway with a few guards standing around, curious about the event that just took place.

Back at the asylum, Grimoire was happily singing to himself as he watched the hundreds of energy veins swirling around with power in them. He could see everything; the events going on outside his room, the crimes going on under ponies’ noses, even the conversation that had taken place between his cousin and that guard from before. He looked away from the veins and rested his eyes on the spirit of Twilight.

“So she did misunderstand me.” he said. Twilight chuckled.

Of course she did. Why would she storm out of the room in anger because you wanted a mayonnaise covered salad?” the previous Element of Magic asked.

“I don’t know. Ponies are weird, they do all sorts of things.”

You’re weird, Grim. Everypony else is normal. But being weird doesn’t make you a bad pony. That’s entirely up to you. I think the next time Hawkeye visits, you should help her; salad or no salad.

Grimoire sighed and looked up at the ceiling. “And how are we going to tell him that?”

Twilight shrugged and disappeared like a waft of smoke. “Feign ignorance.” her words echoed through his head. He smiled as his wit came up with a response.

“Ignorance to what exactly?” there was no response from Twilight, but the cousin made his own kind of statement by kicking the door open. Light didn’t shine through, but that didn’t matter.

“Who’s there? Captain. Captain Who? Captain, you’re paying for my door.” Grimoire looked up to see his cousin, Golden Armour, standing at the doorway.

“Don’t act all casual with me Grimoire! You hit on one of my guards.” the yellow unicorn accused. Grimoire didn’t move.

“Define guard…” he said, looking back up at the ceiling. Grimoire growled at him.

“You told Lieutenant Hawkeye to do something in order to get your help!”

“It’s a world of reciprocity, cousin. We all give in order to get. Unless she gives me what I asked for, she won’t get the remaining Elements of Harmony.”

Golden Armour leaped up onto the bed and pinned Grimoire down onto it. “How do you know she won’t find them without your help?”

Grimoire grinned at his cousin. “Because upon meeting her, I found her to be a tad…stupid.”

“Look, Grimoire; you can hit on mares, I won’t deny you that right, but you do not blackmail my guards!”

“Isn’t it funny when bad things happen to good ponies?” Grimoire asked.

“Huh?” Golden waited a second for clarification, but the roof above them caved in and Golden took the brunt of the damage.

Hawkeye had managed to make her way back out of the palace. Something was bothering her and she needed to fix that before she could devote herself fully to the task at hoof. On her way home, she heard two fillies talking.

“Come on! Golden Armour’s fighting with some white Stallion at the Asylum They’ve taken it to the city square.” one of them said. With the mention of the white Stallion, Hawkeye knew Golden Armour had confronted Grimoire about the problem she’d had with him. Quickly, she took to the skies and made her way for the city square.

Grimoire threw his head around and Golden followed shortly afterward, caught in a light blue glow. The Guard Captain was thrown into the Trotfalgar Square fountain, dousing him in water.

The restraints around Gromoir’s legs had come loose and he was able to walk freely. His body and cutie mark remained covered by the restraints that were still firm around his body. He walked casually toward the fountain as Golden Armour stepped out.

“You always were a shameful twig on the family tree.” he growled, shaking himself. Grimoire just walked past him and huffed.

“Twilight thinks otherwise.”

“Twilight is dead! What you see is just another crazy illusion your mind brings to the table of insanity, not her.”

“Believe what you want, cousin. I know the truth, and the truth is what I see. And what I see, is the world and how it thrives, despite all the anger and hatred that exists under the disguise our Great Aunts have placed on us.” Grimoire took a drink from the fountain.

Golden saw this as an opportunity to strike, but Grimoire drew a circle in the dirt and before Golden knew it, he was winded by an invisible force as he came within a meter of his cousin. Grimoire finished drinking and savoured the water.

“I’m a disgrace, I’m insane. You say these things over and over again every time you come to visit me. You know what I have to say to that? Boo-frickety-hoo!” Grimoire made a motion to wipe his eyes like a crying foal. Golden reared his head back.

“I accept your judgements, I know what I am and I know my place in the world. Yet you seem fit to rub it in my face every chance you get. My only conclusion is that I must possess some redeeming quality that you are jealous of.” Golden scrunched his face and growled at Grimoire who shrugged it off as a confirmation.

“So what is it? My ability to see everything as it truly is? A map of the Butterfly Effect, so to speak. I distort one piece of reality and something terrible happens that’s connected to it in some way. Is that what you’re jealous of?” Golden lurched himself forward, prepared to tackle Grimoire who jumped into the air and remained there without wings. Everypony watching the two gasped, as did Hawkeye. Such a feat was surely impossible.

Grimoire noticed the mare and smiled. “So did you get my salad with the mayonnaise, and the Element of Honesty?” he asked. Hawkeye was aware of his question and started as she realised that she’d made a mistake. Golden seemed to realise this too and stood down from the fight.

“That’s what you wanted? A salad with mayonnaise?” Hawkeye cried as she approached the airborne Unicorn.

“I hate salads but they’re good for me, so mayonnaise gives it a better flavour.” he clarified. Hawkeye hovered in front of him and growled.

“You do realise I took your riddle the wrong way? The Captain could have killed you!” she shouted at him.

“Please, that colt hasn’t won a fight against me in his life.”

Golden growled up at Grimoire. “That will change soon enough, Grimoire.” then he walked away, returning to the castle. Hawkeye saluted the Captain before returning to Grimoire.

“You don’t look so scary in the light of day.” she said. Grimoire looked up at the sky and sighed.

“Appearances can be deceiving. Sometimes, the scariest things can be the safest.” he replied.

“Speaking of which; how are you able to stand in the air like that?” she asked. Grimoire looked at his footing and chuckled.

“A little invention of mine. It fuses telekinesis with anti-gravity. Creating a sort of invisible disk for me to stand on and move around at will.” he explained. As he did so, he began to float around the Pegasus with ease, going so far as to flip over her.

“Okay… And why do you want me to find the Element of Honesty without you? Why not another element?” Hawkeye asked. Grimoire stopped floating and lowered himself to the ground, followed closely by Hawkeye.

“Because trust is hard to come by in this day and age. I can only trust a pony who can’t lie in good conscience. And as you plainly saw, family is also not an option.”

“But I can’t find the other elements without you. Please, help me?” she asked. Grimoire looked Hawkeye directly in the eye. He then smiled.

“I can tell that you’re not lying. You do need me to locate the other Elements of Harmony. Very well, since you’ve completed half the bargain, I will help you find the others.” he said. Hawkeye grew confused.

“Huh? Half the bargain? I haven’t found the Element of Honesty, and I haven’t had the chance to get you a salad, now that I know that’s what you wanted.” she said. Grimoire placed a hoof on her mouth.

“If you recall, I asked you to bring me honesty. I never actually stated I wanted you to give me the pony representing the element.” he smiled at her then and extended his hoof.

“You have my skills at your disposal, Lieutenant.” Hawkeye was stunned for a moment when she realised he’d played with her yet again. She took his hoof and shook it.

“Thank you, Grimoire.”