• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 807 Views, 7 Comments

Darkness of Ages - Book 1: Greyhield - YoungQuillMaster



Blaze Eternal must go a thousand years into the future to defeat a returning enemy.

  • ...
13
 7
 807

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 21: Doubts

“The final reports state that the Great Tree was chopped down just before the reptilous moved on. An estimated force of a thousand and a half reptilous was left behind, while an incalculable number left towards Greyhield’s mountain.” The messenger finished the report, closing the scroll with her magic.

“Do we have any ideas where they might strike next?” Blaze asked, taking a glance at the two cities that were already taken, no pattern yet evident, though he was sure one would arise.

“No sir, they are not bound for any city unless Greyhield’s mountain counts as a city.” The messenger replied. Blaze nodded, turning back to the messenger.

“Thank you for the report, you’re dismissed.” Blaze stated, already thinking up a storm as he inspected the map, looking over every detail of the battle; the magically projected pieces moving with a clock displaying the day and time as a representation of the reptilous force’s movements through the city as a compiled amassing of all the report fitted together as one slightly cohesive whole.

“Well, I doubt we have any doubt what our next move should be.” One of the lieutenants stated. Blaze looked up at the pony with a curious look, not sure what to make of the pony. “We need to mobilize and retake Stalliongrad; we can’t let Greyhield keep it under his might.” A collective murmur of agreement rolled over the ponies, to Blaze’s horror.

“No, we can’t attack them!” Blaze shouted, standing up suddenly, sending his cushion flying backwards into the wall. “Can’t you see? The tactics of the ponies at Stalliongrad were top notch, using choke points and defensive positions, but none of them held in the end. If we attack we’ll be just sending ponies to their deaths!”

“You mean like you advised when we attacked Canterlot?” Another pony asked. “Look, you’re the head trainer, and that’s it. We’re stepping up now, kid, so you can just mind the training of the ponies while you let the stallions with experience do their jobs.” Many of the ponies nodded in agreement.

“That was a different set of circumstances! They were meant as a tactical force to redirect the enemy’s attention, they were never meant to retake Canterlot!” Blaze stated. “We can’t send any pony to Stalliongrad unless they are strictly espionage.”

“Kid, you’re out voted and out classed. Why should we even listen to you? Ever since you joined the force we’ve done nothing but lose.” One of the stallions pointed out.

“Because if you send any ponies to fight at Stalliongrad I will assure you that they will die!” Blaze shouted, silencing the room. “If you send the best of our best to fight out there, they will die, if you send all the forces of Equestria, they will die! You blame me for causing us to lose, but the only reason my arrival even coincides with a streak of loses is because we’ve been up against an unbeatable enemy.”

“You certainly talk big, but you’ve yet to act big.” Another stallion stated. “If you really want to be a leader, than prove that you are worth leading us, if not, step aside and let ponies who have been in the army a lot longer than you take up the roll you want to fill.”

“Tell me how to prove myself then!” Blaze retorted. “I am more than willing to prove my metal against any of you, just tell me how and I will!” The ponies looked at each other, looking rather surprised the colt had actually been more than willing to prove himself.

“If you can best me in a contest of arms, then you will be our leader, but if you lose, the task will fall to us and you can go back to getting our troops back into shape, if you are still up for it that is.” A unicorn stallion Blaze recognized slightly stated.

“What is your name?” Blaze asked, thinking back to when he might have met him.

“I’m Royal Guard Lieutenant Stone Wall of the Fifty-seventh Infantry Division, sir.” The stallion replied. “I’ve been in the guard for fifteen years, and try as you might; I have my doubts about your victory.”

“For the sake of all Equestria I better win, or else you’ll throw away our army in the first month. Greyhield’s forces are on a different level than us, we still have a long way to train before we are truly ready.” Blaze replied.

“I understand you’re concerned about the troops, and that’s good, but stopping us from liberating an entire city isn’t something you should be trying.” Stone Wall stated. Blaze starred Stone Wall down, unflinching as he sized up his opponent.



Blaze stood across from Stone Wall, The massive room their arena as ponies looked on at the contest that would decide their direction. Blaze drew his sword in a silver sheath of magic, the metal hissing as it inched out of the scabbard; his motions imitated by Stone Wall. The armor on Blaze’s back felt light, the cloth suit and chain mail no longer present. This was no training exercise, both ponies wearing real armor and using real weapons.

“The combatants may now present arms and begin the duel upon their election.” Iron Resolve shouted from a raised platform at the edge of the arena. Blaze levitated his blade forward, touching the steel of his weapon to Stone Wall’s blade. Blaze quickly drew his sword back while lifting his shield and entering a lower battle stance as he watch Stone Wall.

Stone Wall quickly charged forward, swinging his sword up towards Blaze, who quickly stopped it with his shield, only to have Stone Wall slam his shield into Blaze’s face to the cheers of the crowd. Blaze shot a bolt of fire out at Stone Wall, but the stallion jumped to the side as the bolt of flame slammed into the ground, dissipating quickly. Stone Wall charged up to Blaze, his sword sailing beside him as he closed the distance. Blaze shot the blade with a quick fire bolts, knocking it slightly off balance as Blaze brought his sword down on Stone Wall, who quickly raised his shield and entered a slide straight towards him. Blaze jumped over Stone Wall, rolling as he hit the floor, twisting around quickly to face him opponent, who had already gotten back up.

Stone Wall shot a beam of magic straight out at Blaze, who roller to the side, sending a bolt of fire at the stallion as he returned to his hooves and charged Stone Wall. Stone Wall blocked the fire with his shield before sending yet another magical bolt at the charging Blaze, who lifted his shield, easily taking hit. Blaze slashed out, but found the area he struck at empty. Suddenly, a massive weight landed on Blaze accompanied by the sound of a finished teleportation.

Blaze bucked struggled under the stallion’s weight for a few seconds before finally going limp. Stone Wall simply stood on Blaze, showing know emotions, until a flash of magic blinded him as Blaze teleported away. Stone Wall landed clumsily on the floor, quickly searching the room for the young stallion, until he finally looked up and saw the pony standing on the chandelier high above the arena with a multitude of fire orbs floating in the air.

The fire began raining down on Stone Wall, who did all he could to avoid being struck, by moving around and using his shield and sword to knock away any bolts, but a few did hit their mark. Stone Wall whipped around after one struck him in the hind leg, and after quickly taking aim, sent a magical javelin towards Blaze, which shattered on Blaze’s shield. Blaze jumped off the chandelier, quickly teleporting before falling too far, ending the transition a few centimeters above the floor.

Stone Wall shot several more javelins at Blaze as the young stallion charged. As he galloped, one of the javelins struck his right foreleg, cutting a bit deeper than what Blaze liked, causing him to stumble a bit, and enter a roll as a flurry of more javelins slammed against his shield, leaving bent after bent that began showing on the side that faced Blaze.

Blaze built up the magical energy to put a shield up, but he became more and more conscious of the pounding pain in the back of his head as the shield gave more and more of the force to his magic. Blaze felt a javelin pierce his shield, reacting quickly, he brought up a small magical shield that blocked the projectile, only to have a dozen others punch through the metal around the newly made hole, necessitating him to build up the size of the shield as Stone Wall continued making and sending more javelins at him.

Blaze shot a bolt of fire at Stone Wall, watching as the stallion shifted his shield around to block it. The temptation was becoming bigger and bigger to Rage Shift, but Blaze was unsure he could control it, but not only that, but he wanted to stay true to the rules of a swordspony, even if it cost him so much pain.

Stone Wall let up the javelins, and sent his sword at full force towards Blaze’s shield, but Blaze saw the error of this attack, and quickly wrapped his own magic around the blade and tore it from Stone Wall’s magical grip. Dropping both his magical and physical shield, Blaze began slamming his duel blades against Stone Wall’s shield, setting a false president he planned on using fully. Suddenly a sharp pain seared across his side as a javelin sliced by his side, causing him to falter slightly. Stone Wall quickly absconded with one of Blaze’s sword, and would have taken the other if Blaze hadn’t strengthened his grip at the last second. Blaze quickly swung his blade around Stone Wall’s shield, striking the seasoned stallion in the side before quickly moving it back and pointing it at his throat along with three fire bolts that appeared around the stallion.

“Yield…” Blaze began, only to have the stallion jump back, sending javelins through each of the fire bolts while moving his shield between the blade and his neck. Blaze charged the stallion, his sword zipping through the air beside him as he closed the distance. Stone Wall took up a defensive stance, only to watch as Blaze disappeared in a blast of light.

Stone Wall blinked quickly, adjusting his eyes to the light, seeing only Blaze’s blade in front of him, the hilt still wrapped in a silver glow as it flew straight at him. Stone Wall put up his shield looking around, trying to find the sword’s owner, only to feel a blast of pain from his back as Blaze bucked him soundly on the hind quarters, sending him forward into his shield, knocking it out of his grip while his sword clattered to the ground before Blaze quickly scooped it up. Stone Wall slid onto his magic, readying his magic for a spell until Blaze planted his hoof on the stallion’s forehead at the base of his horn, causing the aura to vanish and a blaring headache to appear. Stone Wall opened his eye, seeing the room filled with fire balls while a blade pointed towards his neck while the other floated at the ready.

“Yield...” Blaze stated again, only to have the stallion teleport once more, appearing a few meters away, looking quite dizzy as the blow Blaze dealt caused his magic to misfire slightly. At that moment, the entire horde of fire balls surrounded him, as well as one of the blades. Stone Wall flared his magic once more, sending a javelin at Blaze, who brought up a shield and deflected it with ease. “I said,” Blaze began again, a fire bolt slamming into Stone Wall’s side to emphasize his words, “Yield, Stone Wall.” Stone Wall gritted his teeth, not wanting to yield. The stallion charged the wall of fire, feeling the bolts slam behind him slam into his back as he did.

Just as Stone Wall thought he was free of the fire bolts, another, larger one, slammed him in the jaw in an uppercut, sending his into the air slightly with his helmet floating off his head before clattering to the ground. Stone Wall got back to his hooves once more, his legs shaking as he did so. The stallion spat out a few drops of blood onto the floor.

“Alright, I yield. You’ve proven yourself capable enough to handle yourself, so I trust you to be able to handle our troops properly.” Stone Wall admitted. “But if you give us reason to doubt you, you can expect me to be the first to oppose you.” Blaze nodded, several ponies cheering in response, only to have five of the lieutenants come out to the field, barring weapons.

“We will not stand for a colt to lead the Equestrian army.” One of them stated as his comrades spread out around him. “If you want to lead us, you must beat us all in a melee.”

“Stop,” Stone Wall ordered, “It’s over.” The lieutenants looked over at their fellow, Blaze still tense as he expected to have to fight each one of these ponies.

“We will not stand by while Equestria’s fighting force is taken over by a colt!” The leader of the group shouted at Stone Wall. “We cannot and will not let it stand. If he really wants to lead all of the army, let him beat us all and earn our respect instead of assuming it.”

“He should already have it.” A pony stated, emerging from the crowd. “Even before fighting Stone Wall, you should’ve respected this young stallion for his accomplishments.” The pony continued.

“You’re speaking out of line soldier, get back with the other troops and hold your tongue.” One of the lieutenants stated curtly.

“I’m sorry, sirs, but I think you really should know something about Blaze Eternal before you try anything you might later regret.” The pony replied. Blaze began to get the feeling he knew this pony, but he couldn’t place it exactly.

“Who are you to speak so boldly to us, soldier?” Another lieutenant asked harshly, turning to the pony. To Blaze’s surprise, the pony didn’t falter at the lieutenant’s booming voice and angered look.

“Royal Guard Sergeant Palisade,” The pony replied, “Captain Bronze Buckler was my brother.” At this declaration, the lieutenants seemed to loosen slightly, as if the name of their former captain was enough to sedate them. “You might not know the story, but to become the head trainer, Blaze fought and bested my brother. Not only that, but he successfully led the evacuation of Canterlot. Or did you not recognize his voice when he shouted the order?” The lieutenants looked at each other, as if this was completely new to them.

“By what I’ve heard,” Iron Resolve began as he entered the arena as well, “You are all most fortunate that Blaze took over the training of your troops, and I believe that in time, if you let him, you will find him an asset in planning battles.” Resolve walked up towards the lieutenants, looking them up and down. “When did you last lead a charge, or when did you best your stallions during training, showing them that they can go farther without having to be asked first?” The ponies looked at each other. “By what I’ve heard, that is something Blaze does quite regularly, and all you can say or do in thanks is question his abilities and attempt to expel him from your ranks.”

“You don’t understand; he’s only a colt.” One of the lieutenants defended weakly. “He’s barely half the age of the youngest of us. How could he possibly lead any of us?”

“How has he done it thus far?” Resolve countered, silencing the lieutenant. “You all seem to be missing the point that is obvious to most every other pony here.” Resolve continued. “Blaze is your best bet at victory. He knows how to push your soldiers in such a way that he is not making them work harder than he, and he knows how to make a battle plan better than most, if not all, of you.”

“Blaze was my brother friend,” Palisade interjected, “Bronze believed that if he was given a chance, Blaze could show himself to be a great leader. I only ask this, why haven’t we given Blaze the time to take that chance? So far, his plans have always gotten us to the point he wanted, and that without fail. We didn’t lose at Canterlot; we arrived and did what we came for, and left. Greyhield might still stand, but that is not Blaze’s fault. Greyhield is stronger than we thought, but I believe if we let Blaze guide us, we can become more than a match for him in time.”

“Besides, even if you don’t want to listen to what these two are saying,” Stone Wall said, walking up beside Blaze, “I agreed to fight against Blaze, with the prize being that he could lead us if he won, which he did. So if anything let him lead us for the mere fact we agreed to let him if he beat me.” The lieutenants looked at each other, until finally, the leader of the group sighed in defeat.

“Fine, we’ll let you lead us… but if you so much as make us feel slightly like you’re doing a poor job, we will not hesitate to send you packing.” The stallion stated. Blaze looked at the crowd of ponies around them, who seemed split about the decision. While some cheered, becoming the louder of the two, another part murmured while casting Blaze and the other ponies on the field uncertain glances.

“Blaze,” Resolve said, pulling Blaze out of his thoughts, “Consider this the wars first victory on the side of Equestria.” He stated with a small smile.

“I can only do that if it proves to have been the correct choice later on.” Blaze replied. Resolve shook his head.

“You doubt yourself too much, Blaze.” Resolve muttered. “I only ask this in return for helping you today.” The elder continued. Blaze’s ears perked up, not entirely expecting the elder to ask for something in return for helping him. “Win this war, defeat Greyhield, and let our city of Unicornia return to the nation of Equestria stronger than ever.” Blaze nodded with a satisfied smile.

“I will, and you can hold me to that.” Blaze replied.

PreviousChapters Next