• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 807 Views, 7 Comments

Darkness of Ages - Book 1: Greyhield - YoungQuillMaster



Blaze Eternal must go a thousand years into the future to defeat a returning enemy.

  • ...
13
 7
 807

Chapters Next
Prolouge: Unfolding Events


The rain fell heavily on the city Canterlot, while the clouds above the majestic city covered the stars. It had been three nights since Nightmare Moon had been banished by Princess Celestia, and it seemed as if the night time weather ponies proclaimed their sorrow with a storm every night since their nocturnal princess had been banished.

Although most ponies preferred being inside during the frightful, night time storm, two ponies, clad in the armor of the Royal Guard, strode down the streets of the middle-classed residence of the grand city. One was a unicorn with the day guard armor on. His coat was a darker shade of yellow and he had a white mane with some add mixture of blue, although some gray had begun to surface through, showing the age of the stallion. His eyes where blue as the summer sky and were filled with life, quite in opposition to his age. His cutie mark was displayed on his flank plate, also a display of being a higher ranking officer than most ponies. It was a thread of gold looped through a needle, showing that before he was drafted into the guard, he had been a tailor. The other who strode beside this unicorn was a pegasus, of slightly fewer years, who wore the armor of the night guard, except the bat wing coverings for his wings. He was of a lighter blue while his mane was gray. His eyes were a bright green and were set like a flint towards the pony's goal. His cutie mark as well was displayed on his armor's flank plate. It was a dark cloud with a band of white on the top of it.

The two battle-worn guards’ continued their trot towards their destination with great determination. As they trotted, the street broadened and lead to a house that seemed quite out of place. While the houses the pair had passed were single level houses of cobblestone walls and wooden roofs, this one was a two level brick house with stone shingles on the roof.

The stallions increased their speed as they drew nearer to their destination. They charged through the veritable waterfall that continually tumbled down from the roof. The unicorn reached out with his magic and grabbed the knocker as the two of them stepped up the stairs.

The sounds of the knocking resounded through the empty streets as the unicorn continued knocking whereas the pegasus looked around the streets behind them. The pair did not wait long outside, for the door was promptly open by their host. Without exchanging a word, the unicorn entered into the warmth of the small room that was before the main bulk of the house, whereas his pegasus friend took a few more seconds to satisfy himself that nopony had been watching.


The newly arrived unicorn lifted his helmet and placed it on the hat rack on the far side of the room with the pegasus shortly following suit. The unicorn guard shook his head lightly, releasing the water that had built up in his mane.

"Those weather ponies almost seem to want us drowned! I can understand one night, but three nights in a row? It's just insane!" The guard unicorn said as he fixed his mane.

"It may seem so, Golden Embroidery, but really they are just trying to keep to schedule, we haven't had a good rain for three months because of that rain maker breaking down." The pegasus said to his unicorn friend.

"But don't you find it a bit ridiculous that they make the streets into rivers, Silver Lining?" Golden Embroidery replied to the pegasus.

"Only slightly, but that is not the reason for making the trip all the way here, now is it?" Silver Lining said to Golden Embroidery "So, what is the reason, Flame Eternal?" He continued, redirecting to his host.

Flame Eternal was a rather well aged unicorn with more scars then his two guests combined. His mane was an orange, while his coat was a bright, piercing yellow. His eyes were pink, and almost a lively as Golden Embroidery's. His cutie mark was a phoenix with spread wings, being as his talent was training mystical animals.

“Of course not, Silver. I’m not one to talk about such trifle matters when there are bigger things to worry about.”Flame said as he smiled at Silver Lining. “Please follow me if you will.”

The three stallions entered the foyer of the stately house with Flame Eternal at the head. The foyer was decorated with many artifacts, some from Equestria while others were from abroad. A set of armor was on a stand on the far side of the room, while a few small bookcases lined the walls. Doors of several sizes led to different points throughout the house, while two sets of stairs lead to the living quarters on the second level. A table with a few scrolls sat in the center on it all, which apparently was were Flame was leading them.

On the table were star charts, scrolls with mathematical equations scrawled across them, and many other things that seemed loosely related at best.

“You two both know how Princess Celestia banished Nightmare Moon?” Flame asked while closing a few of the unimportant scrolls and placing them inside a small case.

“Of course, everypony knows that!” Golden Embroidery exclaimed quickly. Flame quickly raised a hoof quickly for silence.

“Not that Celestia did, but how she accomplished the banishment, how the spell works in other words.” Flame said to clarify himself further. Silver and Golden looked at each other for a moment.

“I’ve heard bits and pieces of it.” Silver Lining said finally. “I heard some students in Celestia’s school talk of how she alone used the Elements on Nightmare Moon and the magic in the blast carried her being to the moon, but that’s about all I heard.” Flame Eternal nodded.

“Yes, that is about the size of the spell. But there is something that most ponies do not know about the spell.” Flame said as he pointed his hoof at one of his scrolls. “The spell can be broken by an outside force, namely, somepony that is out there in an extraterrestrial state of banishment as well and who is rather adept with magic. Unfortunately for us, there’s something up there that is good with magic and would benefit from Nightmare Moon’s release.” At this Golden Embroidery gasped.

“Do you mean… him?” Golden Embroidery asked rather shaken.

“I’m afraid so. He not only has the power, but the will, not to mention he is banished in the stars right now putting him in the perfect position to release Nightmare Moon. I have charted the heavens for the past few nights and have found four stars that are moving at a rather good speed for the moon.
Fortunately they are coming from the edges of the very heavens and will take time to arrive. According to my calculations, they will arrive on the longest day of the thousandth years from now.” Flame said while taking his hoof off of the scroll.

“Have you informed the Princess of this? She needs to know so that disaster does not strike when Nightmare Moon returns.” Silver stated urgently.

“She has been informed.” Flame stated with a nodded, “She says she will make sure that when the time comes she will be ready, and that my work shall be recorded so that anypony who looks might know. But even this is not entirely why I called you all here. After Nightmare Moon’s return, it will only take a few years before he returns.” The two guests both gasped at this news. “I fear that Nightmare Moon may also aid in his escape, since he has helped her.”

“Flame, tell me there is a way for us to stop this!” Golden Embroidery said desperately.

“Sadly there isn’t. The magical seal I placed will be dying by that time, no matter how much we try to recharge it the seal will be broken by then, and Nightmare Moon can only chip at it to speed its demise along. So even if she doesn’t help him, it will only be a matter of years before the seal naturally breaks.” Flame Eternal said sadly. “But hope isn’t all gone, because we can still prepare for his return.” Flame then unfurled a scroll that lay closed on the table until that moment. “You both know I study many of the spells from old times. Well while searching through Starswirl the Bearded’s many spells I found a time travel spell that allows you go to the past for a short time. Basing my spell on his I was able to make it teleport you into the future and for indefinite amount of time. I does require a tad more power than I can give but I know that with you, Golden Embroidery, I can definitely do it, not to mention I have already set up an arcane power enhancer.”

“And let me guess, I’m the test subject.” Silver Lining said with a smirk.

“Actually no, I had somepony else in mind. You see, I myself would go, except I’m injured, as we all remember, and I can’t send either of you two because your time is now rigid. You see, you are both married and might have foals in the future, I couldn’t send either of you and have you killed and then be responsible you’re the fact your foal doesn’t come into the world.”

“So… who is going to be subject to the spell?” Golden Embroidery asked solemnly.

“I have chosen… Blaze. He’s a strong colt and capable with the sword, in the very least he can…”

“What are you thinking Flame? Blaze can’t do this he’s only fifteen; he’s more suited to help in this matter than to be the main piece!” Silver Lining exclaimed suddenly, cutting Flame off in mid-sentence.

“Flame, please reconsider. I am more than willing to go, send me in his stead just send me.” Golden Embroidery added.

“No, I have made up my mind. Blaze has agreed to go and he will go.” Flame said sternly.

“Then at least let me go with him, Flame. Be reasonable please.” Golden Embroidery begged his friend.

“No, I’m sorry but I can’t allow you to go, and fortunately I will have full control of the spell so you won’t be able to force yourself in.” Flame took a deep breath and released it. “He will also be protected from himself. I have devised a spell to rearrange memories and slowly release the real ones back after a while. If all goes according to plan, which it will, Blaze will be able to get to Celestia in good time and warn her about his imminent return, allowing Equestria to have the time it needs to prepare for what he will bring.” The two stallions looked at each other, and then they looked at Flame.

“Flame… you’ve always had good judgment when it comes to things like this. I still feel a bit wary of the use of so many spells, but I trust your judgment in this matter.” Golden Embroidery said finally.

“I guess I have no voice in this matter,” Silver Lining said with a sigh, “Either way, I have to admit it’s a nice plan all in all. Count me in, whatever part you might have designed for me.” Flame nodded with a smile at his two friends.

“I’ll get Blaze; it’s time to get this started with all of this. Please, wait here while I get him.” With that Flame trotted up the stairs towards his son’s room, which was down a hall a little ways.

“Do you like any of this?” Silver Lining said finally, breaking the tense silence. Golden Embroidery shook his head slightly.

“I never liked the thought of the past rearranging the future or the other way around. But I must admit Celestia can be forgetful at times. One thousand years does leave her moments to forget even the return of her sister, and I doubt Equestria could survive if he returned without warning. Either way, with or without our help, Flame will find a way to reach his goal.” Golden Embroidery answered while lowering his head slightly. “Who knows what will happen this time around when Greyhield returns.” At this Silver Lining nodded slightly, reliving the memories of what happened not too long ago. Golden looked at Silver with a slight smile. “I guess… in a way… we kind of owe it to the ponies of Equestria to stop him, at the risk of our very lives.”

“And the lives of those we care for…” Silver added solemnly, “It just doesn’t seem right that Blaze should go. He has so much potential, a life full of opportunity. It just seems wrong to shove it in front of the wolves.” Golden sighed. He knew deep down that Silver was right about Blaze. He was a young colt with a long life waiting ahead of him, and it did feel wrong to send him to do something that a knight should do.

As the conversation lulled, Flame and Blaze came down the stairs at a walking pace. Both warriors nodded at Blaze, and Silver Lining even gave him a smile. Soon the two ponies arrived in front of the guests.

“Blaze, you have met Golden Embroidery and Silver Lining.” He said as he pointed to each of his friends as he said their names. “Golden Embroidery is here to help me with the execution of the transportation spell; while Silver Lining is here as a witness and to observe the spell in its execution to ensure nothing goes amiss. And now, it is time to get to it. Follow me please.” With that Flame turned towards the two grand doors at the other end of the foyer, which led to the library. As they walked, Flame’s limp became as evident as the three lines of lighter colored fur on his left side. Flame lit his horn and opened the two doors with the orange glow of his magic.

The library was normal looking, tall bookshelves reaching to the ceiling with books lining the shelves neatly while a few smaller cases lay between the enormous shelves, containing older and more fragile artifacts. A few seats and small table lay around the room so that a pony could take a book and not even have to leave the library to be comfortable. In most respects, it almost looked like a public library, save for the lack of a librarian and ponies milling about.

After closing the hefty doors behind them, Flame walked purposefully towards the far end of his library. He soon reached one of the small cases which contained scrolls and other older artifacts, all kept safe behind a glass screen. Flame brought out a key and inserted it into the keyhole. As soon as the lock clicked, he shoved the glass panel out off his way, and instead of grabbing one of the artifacts, he placed his hoof on the underside of the middle shelf. He slid his hoof back and forth until he found what he was looking for. Flame pulled out a small shelf which had a space for a small circular object in the middle. Flame then levitated a pendant from the top shelf and placed it in the hole. Flame pushed the shelf back in and as he did, a small piece of the back of the shelf slid to the side, revealing a small compartment which had a lever in its center, but instead of grabbing the lever, Flame reached his hoof inside and pressed a button on the top of the compartment.

As this action was completed, a soft rumbling filled the room. Flame retracted his hoof, and watched as the piece of the back of the shelf slid back into place, completely indistinguishable from the rest of the wood around it as being anything out of the ordinary. Flame slid the glass panel back into its place and shut the lock back in its place. Slowly, the center of the room started to fall away into steps of a spiral staircase. Flame walked over to the newly formed stair case that had come from a mosaic tapestry that had graced the floor not a second earlier.

The four ponies walked down the stairs until they came to a solid oak landing. Before them lay a passage lit by candles that lined both sides of the ominous pathway. Flame walked calmly towards the passage, and as his friends followed, a low rumble gently shook the hall. Silver Lining glanced behind them and watching as the stairs rose back to the floor level of the room above. As the last pieces of the stair returned to their post the room became increasingly dark, only lit by the dimly burning candles.

Soon the group of ponies reached a small oaken door. Flame used his magic to gently open the aged door. The room beyond was obviously set for the spell that would soon be used within its walls. Candles ran around the walls of the circular room, while arcane lines and shapes ran around the floor of the room. A small, iron cast chandelier hung from the ceiling with its own sets of candles giving more light to the room.

Flame and Blaze stood side by side in the center circle of the massive drawing. Flame lit his horn with his orange aura while still looking at his son. Flame took a deep breath then released it slowly.
“Are you ready, Blaze?” Flame said in a quiet tone. Blaze nodded slowly to his father. Flame sighed, and then enhanced the flow of magic in his horn’s aura. Flame lowered his head slowly until his horn was pointing at Blaze, and then a spark of magic shot from Flame’s glowing horn and struck Blaze’s forehead. When the spark struck Blaze his eyes started to glow white as the power of his father’s spell racked through every fiber of his very being. “You’re life is now rewritten.” Flame said quietly after a moment of agonizing silence. With those words, Flame touched Blaze with the tip of his horn, and as he did, Blaze fell to the side.

Flame stood up slowly and walked towards the right side of the room, and after a short walk, he sat down in a circle.

“What… what just happened?” Golden Embroidery said with a slight quiver in his voice. Flame looked up to his friend with a blank expression.

“I rewrote his memories as I said I would. When he wakes he will think the memories I gave him are the truth.” Flame said with a pang of guilt.

“And what exactly is it that you told him?” Silver Lining asked with a hint of concern as he glanced at the limp form of the unicorn colt simply lying in the center of the room as if he was simply asleep.

“I told him that… that he and his family were a group of traveling gypsies, and that today as they were going through the Everfree Forest to reach Canterlot, a beast attacked their wagon, causing him to fall out of the wagon. He ran away from the incident without taking heed to where the wagon had charged off to, and so he became lost in the forest.” Flame’s friends looked at each other rather questioningly, that is until Golden Embroidery started to smile.

“I see how you plan is to work.” Golden said while turning to the aged warrior. “He will definitely head for Canterlot because his family is traveling there, doubtless Celestia will take him in, and while they wait for them he will regain his true memories and then tell Celestia what will happen, brilliant!” Flame smiled and nodded at Golden Embroidery.

“Thank you, Golden Embroidery; your confidence is very comforting. Now if you would, you’ll need to stand in that circle over there.” Flame said while pointing his muzzle towards a circle on the other side of the room. Golden nodded and walked over to his place in the spell’s construction. Golden stood inside the circle of the arcane construct and turned to Flame, who still stood with his eyes still locked on the form of his son.

“Where do I go for my task?” Silver said finally. Flame glanced up at Silver Lining.

“Anywhere that you don’t touch the lines, if you did, it would disrupt the spell and cause serious mayhem in its execution.” Flame said quietly. Silver nodded and began to circle around the room, always keeping an eye on the lines. “If at any point the lines turn red you’ll need to tell us with all haste; it will mean something has gone wrong, otherwise… there’s not much to do. Golden, when I start to stream my magic into the spell put as much magic into the lines as you can, if all goes well, Blaze will be on his way in a small matter of time.” Golden nodded while preparing himself to begin. Flame took a deep breath and released it slowly. “For the good of Equestria,” Flame said in almost a mumble.

“For the sisters,” Silver said solemnly.

“And for all those whom we love.” Golden said, completing the Equestrian Guard’s motto. Flame looked at his friends with a determined look, and then nodded.

Flame lit his horn in a violet aura and began making the spell’s construct in his mind. Golden Embroidery smiled and lit his horn with a lighter blue aura and commencing to stream all of his energy into the arcane lines that traced about the floor around him. Silver kept a close eye on the lines, insuring he neither stepped on them, nor had them switch from their current bright blue to red. The lines began to fill with energy, and as the two guards watched, the energy contained within them began to jump it smoky tendrils from the symbols and arcane lines into Flame Eternal’s body. Beads of sweat began to form on Flame’s forehead as he continued to stream his inner energy into the complex mentally assembled lines. As he put more strength into it his horn’s glow shifted from the smooth globular aura that shimmered around his horn to a violent whipping mass of magical force that was awaiting release. Flame’s head shot back as he released the spell to its target. The smoky tendrils, which had been blue, turned into a violet aura, much like Flame’s magical glow, that shot all around the lines and filtered towards Blaze’s body. Soon the energy jumped from the lines and formed a dome around Blaze’s limp form. Then the dome shifted from a soft aura to a shimmering solid mass. Suddenly a flash of energy blinded the room with a pure white light.

Slowly the impossibly bright light faded and revealed a room filled with blue and violet sparks without a young colt slumped over in the center of the room. Flame slowly rose to his hooves with a small smile as he looked to his friends.

“Stallions, we have done our part, now all that is left for us is to wait for him to return.” The two guards nodded and began to wait for the return of the colt.

Author's Note:

Here we are finally! I would like to give a big thank you to Draco Dei, to Lex In Deus Lumpum, and to Rangerx35 for the big help in editing and proof reading this.

Chapters Next