• Published 13th Dec 2012
  • 807 Views, 7 Comments

Darkness of Ages - Book 1: Greyhield - YoungQuillMaster



Blaze Eternal must go a thousand years into the future to defeat a returning enemy.

  • ...
13
 7
 807

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Attack

Blaze sat by the grave, the head stone reading ‘To Bronze Buckler, Captain of the Royal Guard, brave and valiant in life, honored and venerated in death’, the dates seeming almost as a side not. Blaze starred at the freshly churned earth, with dozens of other graves like it, all of which belonged to ponies killed in the attack. Blaze didn’t really feel anything, even though there were a few contestants pleading for dominance. Anger, sadness, despair, hatred, all of them fighting it out in the back of his mind as he trudged through his thoughts slower than molasses, trying to just put together the pieces of his broken world.

The sound of chain mail rasping against plate mail alerted Blaze to the approaching guard pony, something he didn’t entirely care about. The pony stood beside him for a few seconds in silence, most likely paying his respects to his fallen commander.

“Sir,” The guard said finally, causing a few of the birds that had been chirping about them to flutter off at the sudden brake in the silence, “We have report that Greyhield’s forces are an hour out. What are your commands?” Blaze thought about this, his mind still slow. “Sir, the guards need your guidance. You are the only pony currently able to lead since most of the lieutenants are either dead, wounded, or still in severe shock.” Blaze stood up slowly, not taking his eyes from the gray stone with Bronze’s cutie mark adorning the top.

“Tell the troops to enter their assigned locations. Also, tell the ponies at the armory to prepare my armor, I’ll be there in ten minutes.” Blaze droned out in a monotone voice. The soldier saluted before rushing off. Blaze looked at the graves around him, names and cutie marks he didn’t recognize. He looked to the skies above, the sun already reaching its peak.

“You’ll pay, Greyhield, I swear you’ll pay.” He said while turning towards the entrance of the graveyard. He walked out purposefully, the dull thuds of Greyhield’s army approaching sounding in the distance.



Blaze stood at the head of his forces, forming a ring around the mountain with the reptilous forming another ring that surrounded them. Blaze inspected the force as they approached, watching as the reptilous in their armor came closer and closer, only to stop at almost a predetermined point. Blaze felt a shift in the mood when, from the distance, the massive lumbering forms of Ursas came up behind the already massive force. The sky above the crowd grew back as a swarm of changelings massed above them in dark chitin armor, their green glowing eyes like small spots on a massive black curtain. At their head was one reptilous wearing a set of thick plate mail, looking almost large enough to hold two reptilous with room to spare. Another reptilous walked up beside him, though this one seemed different, with horns growing from the sides of its head and having a thinner figure, though still definitely male. It took out as staff, and after a brief twirl and a small light show coming from its staff’s ends, it slammed the wooden pole into the ground.

“Ponies of Equestria,” The reptilous spoke, its voice amplified such that it was heard all across the battlefield. “You have had your chance to surrender and leave, yet have refused! For this you shall meet your doom!” The reptilous with the staff removed his rod from the earth and stepped back only a few steps in front of the first line, and with him several others just like him, only varying in color, stepped forward. Blaze looked to his sides, the golden clad ponies, with their true mane and coat colors showing for battle.

“Guards,” Blaze shouted, turning his attention back to the reptilous, his voice now replacing the fading echoes as his spell amplified his voice, “Give them all they promise to us and more!” With that he swung his sword forward. “For the Equestria!”

“For the sisters!” The guards shouted in unison, their combined voice shaking the very earth beneath their hooves.

“For all those whom we love!” He joined his voice to the chorus of the guards with a smile as they completed the guard’s motto. As the echoes still rocked the plains the combined forces of Equestria charged, a hail of arrows, cannon fire, and scorpion bolts forming a dark cloud behind them. Blaze smiled as the first volley struck down entire sections of the changeling cloud and rained down upon the Ursas and the reptilous rear guard.

“For Greyhield!” The commanding reptilous roared, replied with a mighty roar, shrieks, and bellowing cries as each soldier gave a war cry. The line of reptilous then charged up to meet them mid-field. Blaze heard the explosions as the cannons on the wall, a more war oriented version of Pinkie’s party contraption, fired a second volley. Blaze raised his sword and shield as his horn glowed brighter as he prepared a spell.

In a blink Blaze disappeared and reappeared above the reptilous with a blinding flash. His horn glowed brighter as he sent actual flames raining down, no longer holding back any part of his spell. The reptilous below his cried out in surprise as the flames formed around them, and then blew them away, allowing Blaze a landing zone. Blaze quickly sent bolts of flame into the snouts of three charging reptilous before using his sword and their own to dispatch of them quickly.

Blaze turned around and kicked one of the charging reptilous in the knee, causing it to fall on its face in pain as its leg bent at a grotesque angle. Blaze ended it with a blade to the neck, only allowing it a sputter of blood before dying. Blaze drew out his sword, and quickly raised his shield, catching a reptilous’ attack before thrusting his own sword towards the reptilous, only to have it jump back, striking a rather impressive battle pose. Blaze shot a flame bolt straight at it, only to watch as it bent over backwards, the flame shooting right passed it. The reptilous let its weight carry it backwards and quickly flipped back upright. The reptilous pushed off the floor, its sword pointing out in front of it right at Blaze. Blaze rolled to the size, only to have a blade slam into his armored back. Blaze looked behind him and shot a flame bolt into the visor of the offender, who fell back, leaving his sword in Blaze’s armor.

Blaze lifted the blade out from his armor, sighing when he didn’t see any blood. Blaze turned back to the reptilous who seemed like it was just waiting for him to be ready. Blaze eyed it curiously as he began to walk to the right, weaving around ponies and reptilous that fought ferociously. Blaze was surprised to find the reptilous doing the same, mirroring him almost exactly until there was a gap in the fighting. The reptilous took its chance and dove for Blaze again, only to have its sword strike Blaze’s shield. The reptilous merely let its sword slide off the surface of the shield as it drew closer until it rammed into Blaze’s shield with enough force to knock him back a few steps.

The reptilous was on him in a second, its sword screaming downwards like a hawk after a piece of delicious prey. Blaze lifted his shield, only to find the blade slicing straight through it, and then upwards, parting the shield in a surge of strength. Blaze shot the now useless shield at the reptilous, who simply seemed to flow to the side, and then straight towards him, grabbing Blaze by the throat, only to drop him a second later.

Blaze looked up at the reptilous, but he was gone with a particularly enraged pony on top of him. The pony lifted his blade and swung it down towards the reptilous, which simply jolted to the side letting the blade sink into the earth. The reptilous planted its arms into the ground, then with a push, flew off the ground, sending the pony flying off, only to turn back around on a dime, its wings spread out wide, even after he landed.

“Commander Blaze, I hope you weren’t planning on dying today.” The pegasus said around his sword before kicking off the ground while beating his wings, charging towards the reptilous, who dodge to the side, grabbing the pony’s tail, swinging the pony back to the ground. The reptilous lift his blade and sent it down towards the pegasus, only to have Blaze strike it, sending the blade to the side. The reptilous looked towards the crimson unicorn, only to get a snout full of flame that singed his scales. The pegasus pushed off the ground, landing back on his hooves beside Blaze. Blaze looked over at him with a bit of curiosity.

“What’s your name soldier?” Blaze asked before returning his gaze to the reptilous, who wiped the soot from his eyes.

“Sergeant Palisade of the Royal Guard.” Blaze nodded with a smile. “Captain Bronze Buckler was my brother.” Blaze looked over to the stallion, noticing certain resemblances between the captain and this pony. “Bronze liked how you worked, keeping to the advice he gave you. I can’t let you die, that would only be another blow on my brother.” Palisade looked to Blaze. “You are one of the few ponies left who knew him personally. If you die, that part of the memory of him dies as well.” Suddenly Blaze felt a tingling sensation on the back of his neck. He looked towards the reptilous in time to react and move his sword to block the charging reptilous’ attack. Blaze looked back to Palisade.

“Together?” He asked simply. Palisade nodded before using his wings as extra thrust for his dive towards the reptilous. The reptilous stumbled forward with the addition of the weight of the armored pegasus. Blaze shot a bolt of flame into the reptilous’ face, causing it to stumble even more as it tried to get the soot off of its eyes. Palisade jumped off and bucked the beast as he took off. The reptilous fell forward, only to roll out back to his feet. Blaze shot his sword towards the reptilous, who only barely blocked it.

Palisade dived in, his sword at the ready, but the reptilous suddenly turned and sliced at the pegasus. A small spray of red splashed across Blaze, the warmth of the blood making his own blood run cold. Blaze felt the rage inside of him whelm up, but he suppressed the change from happening.

Palisade skidded to a stop before getting back to his hooves and charging towards the reptilous with one wing hanging limply at his side. Blaze shot a flame bolt at the reptilous’ sword, that caused it to let its grip go of the sword, letting it fly a short distance before clattering down on the ground. Blaze shot several more fire bolts at the reptilous as Palisade approached for his attack. Blaze let up on the fire when Palisade jumped up and wrapped his fore hooves around the beast’s neck and so dragged him to the ground. Palisade maneuvered his blade with his mouth and then sliced it across the reptilous’ neck. The reptilous let out a gargling roar as he pushed of the ground, out of Palisade’s grasp.

The reptilous turned and bared its claws and threw out a punch towards Palisade, its claws at the fore front. Blaze shot a fire bolt that struck the reptilous’ leg, causing it to fall the side opposite of where Palisade was. Blaze shot his sword out towards the reptilous, who simply grabbed the hilt as it came closer. Blaze struggled as it finally, and quite amazingly, tore the blade for Blaze’s magical grip. The reptilous then rolled and picked up his own sword in his second hand.

Blaze shot another flame bolt out towards the reptilous, who simply exposed his neck and let the fire strike him. When the flare had dissipated Blaze looked in shock at the reptilous’ wound now cauterized by his own flame. Blaze grimaced as he looked around the battlefield for anything he could use, only to find a rather barren field in weapons that weren’t in use at the moment. The reptilous charged Blaze, only to skid to a halt when a shadow passed by the battlefield. Blaze looked up to the sky, but saw noting causing the shadow.



Celestia stood on the observation platform with her sister at her side, looking over the battlefield below. Celestia shook her head.

“I never thought I’d see war come to our doorstep.” She said, her voice no longer the confident motherly tone, but a sorrowful, melancholy tone.

“War is one thing each kingdom must face, it was merely time before our turn had been called.” Luna replied solemnly.

“Not to sound too evil,” A voice interjected from nowhere, “But I think this is quite the display of chaos.” With that a theater chair with Discord sitting in it while munching on popcorn appeared, floating beside the platform. “I haven’t seen anything so chaotic since I took over Ponyville, and even that is near nothing compared to the chaotic energies I feel coming off of this.” He reminisced before popping another kernel in his mouth and then taking his drink from the cup holder and taking a sip of whatever concoction he had in it. Celestia rolled her eyes at the reformed spirit of chaos. “Hmm… but maybe it could be improved…” Suddenly Discord dropped his bag of popcorn, each kernel growing wings and flying away. Luna looked to him with a raised eyebrow. “I-it… it can’t be. It isn’t possible.” He stammered slightly. Celestia looked towards where he had been gazing, but saw nothing but the blue sky.

“What is it, Discord?” Celestia asked, turning to look at the frightened draconequus. “What did you see?” She pressed him.

“Celestia… Luna… I’d suggest a tactical retreat.” He stammered finally. “H-he’s here, and he’s coming right for us.” He finished as his chair disappeared.

“Who’s here? What are you talking about?” Celestia pressed, taking Discord’s words cautiously; though still ready to teleport her sister, Discord, and herself into the depths of Canterlot’s stronghold.

“Sister… I can sense it as well. There is a great mass of dark energy coming towards us.” Luna said, taking a step back from the balcony. “It’s… it’s like the vibes we received at the mountain, but…. but over a thousand times stronger.” Celestia raised an eyebrow, and then a shiver took her over, descending from the crown of her head to the tip of her tail. She too was now feeling it, the same power, just as Luna had said, but so much stronger. She froze as she felt the energy suddenly expand in size and intensity, and then, in an instant, it was gone.

“W-what… what was that?” Celestia stammered as she felt the rush of cold overwhelm her sense to the point she almost fell over. Suddenly she got her answer as an orb of a deep purple color formed over the battlefield, then dissipated to show Greyhield flying towards them, only to disappear in another purple surge of magic. Celestia looked over towards Luna, who was already looking towards her.

“H-he’s here…” Discord repeated in a small voice. The purple orb then appeared directly before them. Celestia turned towards it with her horn lit, her sister doing the same beside her. The dragon emerged from the orb in front of the trio, his gigantic wings keeping him elevated with mighty rushes back and forth. Luna stumbled back, looking as if she had seen a ghost while as Celestia maintained a firm position. Discord skidded back towards the tower, his eyes wide. Greyhield scanned over all of them, then settled his gaze on Celestia.

“I have come to reclaim my right. Surrender that I might execute your sentence.” Greyhield proclaimed in a loud booming voice.

“And what sentence might that be, and for what crime?” Celestia retorted, her horn glowing brighter.

“Your sentence, as it shall be with all ponies, is death, and as for the crime… have you truly forgotten?” Greyhield landed on the balcony, his weight causing the stone to crack in several places. Celestia then teleported all of them, except Greyhield, inside the throne room, only to have a deep purple orb follow, revealing Greyhield standing at half his usual height just to fit inside the relatively cramped space.

“I know not for what crimes you accuse ponykind of, but I know that this day, and for all the centuries before you have been nothing but a plague to Equestria.” Celestia’s horn once again flared up, bright as a star, its glow covering the room and the entire castle in a magnificent glow. Celestia then released a beam of magical energy directly at Greyhield, the massive crackling beam of power causing the windows around the hall to rattle, and anything that wasn’t fixed in place, to fall. As she continued to pour more and more power into the beam, Celestia sensed something was amiss, and so released the last of the beam and let the light dim. When the light was gone it revealed a dark purple sphere that still had small tendrils of light crackling about its surface.

Greyhield released the shield, his facial expression showing nothing of pride or anger; just a bland expression as if the powerful beam that had caused Canterlot to become almost a second sun were nothing more than a parlor trick that a street performer would use at the end of each show. Greyhield raised his right foreleg, a dark mass forming around it and crackling all about it.

“If you will not surrender at my word, than perhaps we can barter over the conditions. After all, it would not be a war with only one battle.” Greyhield stated plainly. He gave on twist of his wrist and an orb of darkness formed, then split into two, then revealed two equine shapes. Chrysalis gave a boisterous laugh, while the other simply smiled at Celestia and Luna.

“No…” Celestia said as she saw the one beside Chrysalis. “That’s not possible… you’re dead.” It was the second new arrivals turn to laugh.

“No, I was merely indisposed, Celestia.” She said, giving one last chuckle. “It was Greyhield who released me from my prison the first time, and it was him who gave me new breath, that I might stand beside him once again.” Celestia and Luna both exchanged glances with each other as the truth of the situation began to sink in.



Blaze blocked the reptilous strike once again, with his newly pilfered sword, allowing Palisade the opportunity to come from the side, only to have his attack blocked with the reptilous’ second sword. Suddenly a horn blared, causing all the reptilous to suddenly stop fighting and charge off towards the outskirts of the Canterlot suburbs. The reptilous Blaze and Palisade were fighting was no different, as when the horn sounded he shoved the ponies away and charged off, leaving Blaze’s real sword behind. Blaze looked around the field, the bodies of ponies scattering the ground, the green pastures painted red with blood.

“What just happened?” Palisade asked Blaze as he walked u beside him.

“I don’t know completely.” Blaze replied. In the distance he saw the army of reptilous scatter into the forest along with the Ursas and the remaining Changelings. “But I think it might be a trap. I don’t know if we really should follow them…” Blaze looked around, the field glittering with the blood and armor of fallen ponies, but the one thing that didn’t make sense was the seeming lack of the dimmer reptilous armor. It seemed the majority of corpses were of the ponies. Blaze turned back to Palisade, “Tell the field medic to get out here and start treating the wounded. I need a body count and everything about how this battle played out. Get accounts from the soldiers down here and on the wall, I need to know how the reptilous moved and acted.”

“Yes sir, right away sir.” Palisade saluted and charged off, his left wing still hanging limply to his side. Blaze looked around once again, then began to move from one downed pony to the next to find which ones were dead and which ones still were breathing.



Glenn stroked his blade with a whetstone, the edge of his blade glistening in the evening sunlight. Gylom marched into the forest encampment, a good portion of his soldier behind him.

“How’d it go?” Glenn questioned, not looking up from his work as he set his first blade aside and took up his second.

“Minimal casual as planned, while still delivering severe damage to the enemy while not going all out.” Gylom replied, sitting heavily down onto a tree trunk covered in moss. Glenn snorted as he set his second sword aside and began work on his daggers.

“Did the operatives get shown to their positions?” Glenn pressed as he continued.

“Yes, they made it and are working into their positions now if all is working out on their end.” Gylom replied as he grabbed his canteen from his belt and took a swig. “Really though, why didn’t they stay there last night? They had a chance to hide inside the wall but instead ran from the city.” Gylom set his first dagger down and took out his second one.

“Several did stay, we just needed a few more to make sure we had all the necessary, we don’t know if any were caught last night or killed during our attack on the captain.” Gylom replied as he inspected the edge of his blade, and when satisfied, took out his third while setting the second down on the same mossy patch as the rest of his blades. Gylom just shook his head as he took several more gulps from his canteen, quickly running it dry.

PreviousChapters Next