• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 1,389 Views, 17 Comments

Of Coal and Diamonds - Alaxsxaq

  • ...
3
 17
 1,389

11. Preparations

11. Preparations

For the better part of the morning, Jeffery had been cleaning his employer's home vigorously, vacuuming and sweeping every possible nook and cranny. Applebloom was expecting a lot of guests, and for reasons the handycolt was not informed of, the yellow mare was particularly agitated. Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle were doing whatever things Applebloom had them do for tonight's events.

Jeffery was rather thankful that those three ponies weren't in his vicinity. He could only imagine what sort of trouble those three would cause together, and distance between them as they tried to accomplish ANY task was essential. Somepony unfamiliar with their antics would ask the suited stallion "surely they can't mess anything up inside her own home."

To which he would reply. "You have no idea."

An expert multitasker, the butler often performed his assigned tasks simultaneously. Applebloom had grown reliant on his lightning-fast efficiency and top-notch job; the unicorn took great pride in his work. Wiping the dust off the living room mantel, and clearing the soot from the fireplace, Jeffery tidied up all the photographs and assorted knickknacks Applebloom had placed around the room.

After fluffing the sofa cushions and straightening the end tables, he heard the doorbell sound. Ridding his attire of any wrinkles or folds, the handycolt hastily cantered to the front door.

Using his magic to open the great wooden door, the tall stallion looked down to see a familiar orange earth pony.
"Ah. Miss Babs. Do come in."

Babs neither spoke nor even looked up from the ground. Her expression was dreary, and to Jeffery it seems she hadn't groomed herself at all. The unicorn knew enough about his mistress's cousin to know something wasn't right.

"Is everything alright, Miss Seed?" He asked sincerely.

Babs took a moment to respond. "Huh?...No....I'm mean...I need to tawlk to Applebloom."

"Of course. You will find her in the Great Room. I trust you know where that is."

"Thank you." She continued on her way, still looking on the floor. Jeffery thought he even saw a small tear. Seeing her like this pained the stallion.

"Before you go..." She weakly turned her head to meet the stallion's look. "If you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask." Jeffery smiled, but Babs merely nodded and made her way down the hall.

His mood saddened, the handycolt returned to his cleaning duties.

Meanwhile, in the Great Room, Applebloom was busy moving tables and chairs out of storage for the reception that was to take place tomorrow night. The large hall was a little over a story tall, and rather plain. She had it built to house any events Applebloom had the misfortune of hosting. Thankfully that seldom occurred.

During the whole morning she was quiet, but Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle could tell she was very stressed. But they knew any misstep could unleash her fiery temper. As such, the pair completed the tasks their friend gave them, in hopes that she'd calm down.

Scootaloo hovered below the ceiling, checking all the light fixtures and things. Sweetie's job was more varied, and she did anything from helping Applebloom with tables to checking off items from the list.

The trio was too occupied to notice a dour Babs enter the room. She slowly walked over to Applebloom, who was silently muttering to herself.

The orange earth pony took a deep breath before speaking. "Hey Applebloom...ya got a minute?"

Scootaloo heard her, and flew down to meet her. "Hiya Babs. Here to help?"

"Hi, Scoots. No I just need to tawlk to AB." Babs replied.

"Well you're gonna have to wait. Ah got too much to do right now."

"This is important. Somethin' happened last night." She said, sterner than before.

Applebloom's eyes widened, but she didn't cease her task. "Oh y'all bet something happened last night. Ah haven't been able to focus because of it...Ah been on edge all day. Ah haven't slept for the past twelve hours, or gotten any work down the past two days. And now Ah got this goin' on. Babs please you gotta wait. Ah'm at mah wit's end."

"This is serious! Like a hell of a lawt more serious than this stupid wedding!" Babs' rebuttal was angry, but drove the point home.

"What is it, Babs?" Sweetie asked.

"I gawt fired last night."

Applebloom calmed down a bit, and gave her cousin a sympathetic look. "Ah'm so sorry Babs. But we can deal with—"

"That ain't the serious pawrt." Taking another deep breath, Babs continued. "Somepony tried to...I mean..." her eyes began tearing up. The normally tough policemare cried herself to sleep the previous night. Even now she couldn't believe the events transpired as they did. "Somepony wanted me..."

"Wanted you what, Babs?"

"To...to....to KILL ME!" Babs fell into Applebloom's shoulder. The yellow mare embraced her, tearing up a bit herself.

"Who tried to do this?"

"I...I don't know who wanted it done...but Cruller tried to do it." Through her hiccups and sniffs the traumatized pony continued. "He caught me last night at the pawrk. The Mayor made him chief; gave him my job. Somepony else paid him to get rid of me."

Sweetie Belle was almost about to cry. "Where is he?"

Having wiped her eyes, Babs' expression became angry. Gnashing her teeth she replied. "At the bottom of the river. I...I shot him. Straight through the head. I killed that son of a bitch. He's dead,...because of me." She began crying anew. "I didn't want to, guys! I had no choice!"

For what seemed like several minutes, nopony spoke. Instead they all let Babs weep into Applebloom's shoulder. The yellow pony tried to come up with something to say; anything to make her cousin feel better. Several times she opened her mouth but the words died on her tongue. Soon she decided it was better to not say anything.

After a few sniffles, Babs looked up and wiped her eyes again. Regaining her composure, she looked around the room.

"You have to cancel the wedding." She said plainly. Applebloom's eyes widened.

"What? Babs. You know Ah love you, but Ah can't do that."

"You have to. Manehattan is too dangerous! Do you really want our family right here? It's bad enough my parents live in the city!"

"Ah know...but what am Ah supposed to do?"

"Babs makes a good point." Sweetie interjected. "Maybe we should cancel the wedding."

"Ah can't! Everything's paid for! The planners and caterers are already booked—"

"You're a damn billionaire! What difference does it make to you?!" Babs exploded.

"That's not the point! Everypony's already on their way! Ah'm expecting them all in a couple hours! Most are likely already on a train!"

Babs lost it, and flung herself at Applebloom. The two took to fighting, each one jamming their hooves at one another. "Dammit Applebloom! You gotta cancel!"

Applebloom dealt a spot-on punch to Babs' cheek. In retaliation, the orange mare bit her cousin's ear, drawing blood. Sweetie Belle was horrified at the sight. Scootaloo knew the pair wrestled occasionally, but an actual fight was something else.

"Should we do something?" The white unicorn asked.

"Each one of them is strong enough to throw us to the other side of the room." Scootaloo replied, desperately wishing to intervene. "What can we do?"

Fortunately, her question was answered when the tussling ponies put each other in a headlock. The two called a truce. Breathing heavily, Applebloom massaged her neck and wiped the blood from her nose. "Ah can't...Ah can't. What do you want me to tell them? Nothin' Ah say will avoid a mass panic."

"I just...I dunno. I'm scared...AB."

"We all are. But mah property is as far from the East End as y'all can get. We'll talk later, after everything is done. Fancypants might know what to do."

"You're inviting him?" Babs asked as she got up and popped her back.

"Of course." Applebloom said, her ear still hurting. "Owww...Ah can't believe you bit mah ear!"

"Oh...hehe sorry 'bout that. At least I didn't punch your eye or something."

Sweetie's expression was full of disappointment. "What are we gonna do with you two?"

"Y'all can decide that later. Right now we have to finish cleaning up and all that good stuff. But first Ah think Ah'll get a tissue." Applebloom then went towards a bathroom, all the while holding her head back to prevent blood from spilling on the floor.

In the great room, flying up to resume her assigned task, Scootaloo whispered to Babs. "What if something really goes wrong?"

"I've been asking myself that question all night. Looks like we'll have to take some extra precautions."

----------

Over the next several hours, the five ponies inside the household cleaned and arranged everything perfectly. The great room was filled with tables and chairs, and the rest of the mansion was spotless and flawlessly aligned. Applebloom looked on at their hoofwork, and sighed. Once Rarity and the planner got here, they could decide what to do with it.

She didn't care what they did with her room, so long as the bride-to-be was happy.

The four mares made their way into a room with various couches and chairs, a large bookcase, and a billiards table. Applebloom herself plopped down on the nearest seat. Tired and stressed out, the yellow pony needed something to calm her down.

A game, perhaps.

Babs must have had the same idea, because she walked over to the cue rack and grabbed a fine wooden billiards cue. "Anypony up for pool?"

"Sure!" Scootaloo enthusiastically replied, grabbing another cue from the rack. Chalking up its tip, the pegasus began practicing her shot. Sweetie Belle followed, smiling widely.

"Hold on." Applebloom however first got up and took a small box off of one of her shelves. Upon opening the box she revealed a very new-looking pipe. Inside one of the end table drawers was a tin of fine tobacco, which she packed into the pipe. Finally, after lighting up her smoke, Applebloom took another cue and puffed.

"Eight-ball. Babs and Scoots versus Sweetie and Ah." She dictated, clenching the pipe in her teeth.

"You're on!" Babs said, a determined look in her eyes. "We'll break. But first, I'm thirsty."

As if she were reading her cousin's mind, Applebloom opened the door to a mini fridge in the room and tossed Babs a bottle of beer. Biting off the cap, the policemare took a swig and lined up her shot.

Intently watching, the three others all became silent. Babs thrust the cue forwards, and scattered the balls across the table, pocketing several solid ones. "Looks like we got solids. Your turn."

"Applebloom can go first." Sweetie politely said. Nodding, Applebloom repeated the process and pocketed a striped ball. Smirking at her opponents, the industrialist backed away.

While Scootaloo was taking her turn, Sweetie Belle felt it was a good time to engage in small talk. "Hey, Applebloom. How many ponies did you invite?"

"Only Fancypants. Your sister took care of the rest."

"Really? No Diamond Tiara?" Babs teased.

Applebloom's expression grew sullen, and she looked down on the floor. Why did Babs have to bring that up?

She took her pipe out of her mouth. "No...we're no longer friends...y'all were right, guys. About her. She ain't nothin' but a no good crook." The mood of the room shifted from jovial to morose in a flash. "Ah’m such an idiot!"

Sweetie Belle, feeling like the instigator of her friend's bad mood, placed a hoof on her shoulder. "I'm sorry I brought it up. But today's a happy occasion. Don't worry; you'll never have to see her again, right?"

"Ah guess so. You're right. Ah'm not gonna let this put me in a bad mood. But still..."

"What is it?" Scootaloo asked, hesitating to take her shot.

"Never mind! Let's play! Like Ah said, we'll talk about it tonight. Uh...Scootaloo, you're up."

A sincere smile of empathy found itself upon the orange Wonderbolt's face, and she proceeded to take her shot. Several seconds after the cue tip hit the white ball, Scootaloo pocketed a couple solids

The game continued for around ten minutes; a very casual enterprise. By the end of the session, Babs lined up her cue to make the final move of the game. Sweating and narrowing her vision in sheer determination, the orange earth pony took a deep breath and mentally mapped out the ball's trajectory.

"I'm gonna pawcket the 8 bawll." She announced, and flexed her muscles in anticipation. The three others watched; Scootaloo rooting for Babs' success, and Applebloom and Sweetie for some miracle of the Almighty to mess this up. The latter camp would have their prayers answered.

For as soon as Babs thrust her stick forward, a noise sounded throughout the home. Babs would come to resent this ding, however petty it was, for quite a while. The doorbell had been pressed, indicating somepony was at the door.

The bell caused Babs to completely lose her focus, shooting the cue ball off away from the black 8 ball necessary for her victory. The white one found itself inside a pocket. The game was effectively lost.

"AH dammit!" The policemare took her bottle and held it over her open mouth. Not a single drop fell. "I need another beer..."

Applebloom and Sweetie Belle couldn't help but laugh, hoofbumping in victory. Scootaloo pat Babs on the back, trying to alleviate the sting of defeat.

"Alright y'all. Looks like we'll have to cut this short. Ah'm gonna see who's here." Applebloom trotted over to the front door, beating Jeffery to its handle. Shrugging off the occurrence, the handycolt returned to the kitchen and resumed preparing dinner for an upwards of several dozen guests.

The yellow mare opened the door, her smile stretching from ear to ear. Behind the tall block of wood were two unicorns, one white with a greying brown mane, and the other magenta with a similarly-aged purple mane. Each was lugging around a suitcase and wearing warm clothing for the weather.

"Well hi there, Applebloom!" The stallion said, whom the earth pony immediately recognized as Rarity's father. "Well isn't this a nice little place to call home!" He said in his Midwestern Equestrian accent.

"Oh you betcha!" His wife replied. Applebloom smirked. And she thought her accent was silly.

"Come on in! Follow me; Ah'll take ya to your rooms." She gestured them to come forth, puffing another cloud.

Before the elderly couple could, however, Sweetie Belle came running and stared on starry-eyed. "Mom! Dad!"

The three embraced and kissed, happy to be reunited. Applebloom smiled and teared up a bit. After they were done, the couple grabbed their things and followed their hostess up the staircase.

"Are you the only ones here?" Applebloom inquired.

"Oh don't cha know? We all came on the same train! The rest are outside, dealing with all the luggage." The mother answered.

"You bet! Say, Applebloom..." Rarity's father began. "Where's the bride and groom-to-be gonna bunk?"

"Haha! Typical dad. Ah got them in separate arrangements."

"Oh, that's a relief. I don't want any funny business going on before tomorrow."

Applebloom blushed. That was not an image she wanted in her head. "I think that ship sailed a long time ago..." She muttered.

"What did you say, dearie?" Applebloom's soon to be mother-in-law asked.

"Oh nothin'. Here you are." She opened the bedroom door, revealing the neatly made bed and furniture. "Now if y'all need anything, come on down and ask me." Rushing down the stairs, Applebloom caught the rest of the guests being informed by her handycolt.

"...Now there are TWO rules in this household, if you would respect them. Don't touch anything without explicit permission from the Mistress. She is very...possessive. Second, nopony is allowed inside her bedroom. I myself am only allowed in to wash sheets. Don't ask me why."

"Oh certainly, sir." A purple unicorn very politely agreed.

"Howdy Twilight!" Applebloom greeted. "How was your trip?"

"Fine, thank you. Though a couple someponies couldn't hold in their excitement." Twilight said, glancing over to the now entering Rarity and her pink friend. The earth pony known as Pinkie Pie bounced inside, exuberant as always.

"Hi Applebloom! Nice pipe! VERY fancy! What a pretty house! Oh this is going to be so much fun! Applebloom, did you know I'm one of the bridesmaids?" The yellow mare chuckled to herself. Same old Pinkie.

"Nice to see ya too." Rarity followed in, having her fiancé lug around several large suitcases.

"Applebloom darling! What a lovely home you have!"

"Thank you, Rarity. Seems like Ah'm gonna be hearin' that for a while now. How ya holdin' up, Big Mac?"

The large stallion, sweating profusely, merely gave his signature response. "Eeeee...yup."

"Applebloom!" A familiar voice called out, sounding a little less than pleased.

"Um...hi, Applejack..." The filly said to her sister, looking guilty for no reason in particular.

"What'd Ah tell y'all 'bout smokin'?"

Before Applebloom could speak up to defend herself, the normally soft-spoken largest member of the Apple family interjected. "Now AJ, Ah think our sister can do whatever she wants, bein' that this is her house and she's allowed all of us into it as guests."

Applebloom's only response was a smug grin, followed by a cloud of smoke. "Come on, Ah'll show you to your rooms. Since we got a lot more ponies that we have beds, it's gonna be tight." The businesspony went outside and looked at the rest of the horde advancing on the mansion; nearly the entire Apple family and friends were here.

The next hour or so was spent greeting all the guests, catching up, and Applebloom showing them to their accommodations. Sometime during all this, the wedding planner arrived, and Rarity and her friends went into the great room to decorate and arrange the reception area however they wanted. After everypony was situated, Applebloom returned to her living room and plopped down on a chair. Babs leaned over the side, sipping her beverage.

"So, how many in all came?"

Relighting her pipe, Applebloom sighed. "Ah lost count. Let's see...there's Rarity, Applejack, Twilight, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Granny Smith, the bride's parents, your parents, your sister, damn near the entire Apple clan...and Spike. Fancypants hasn't showed up yet, though. Where're Sweetie and Scootaloo?"

"Sweetie's with her parents and Scoots’ outside flying with Rainbow. You sure there's room for all of us?"

"Packed in tight, sure am." The pair shared a laugh, before being interrupted by the sound of the doorbell. Babs instinctively frowned and cursed the ding.

"Ah'll get it!" Applebloom galloped over to the door and opened it. To her delight, a tall white unicorn and his slender companion had arrived.

"Good afternoon, Applebloom. Forgive us for being late. Our train from Canterlot experienced delay before arriving into the station." The stallion said with the utmost sincerity. Shortly after, his stomach growled. Blushing, he kicked a hoof. "Excuse me...we haven't eaten since breakfast. I'd hate to sound rude, but when might I expect dinner to be ready? There's no rush!"

Jeffery, donned in a white apron, was happening to pass by on his way to the kitchen. "Master Fancypants, preparations of a meal for several dozen ponies does take considerable time. Miss Pinkamena however has lent considerable aid. I therefore pledge to my Mistress' guest that within the hour, you shall be fed." The blue unicorn then returned to his task.

"Then I shall wait patiently."

And patiently he did wait. Giving his dear Fleur a kiss and sending her off to mingle, he followed Applebloom into her living room. Greeting Babs, his face changed to an expression he seldom wore; seriousness.

"Applebloom, I'd hate to be direct, but what did you find out the afternoon you left?"

Babs spoke up, finishing the last of her second bottle. "Actually, we wanted to tawlk to youse about that. I gawt attacked last night."

"Oh my! Are you alright?"

"I'm fine, thanks for askin'. But after dinner, we should convene somewheres private. Behind closed doors."

"Yes. After dinner we'll have some time before the parties." Applebloom said. "Ya know, the bachelor and bachelorette parties?"

"Sounds interesting." Fancypants laughed softly. "But in all seriousness, I shall provide any counsel I can, Applebloom."

"Good!" She smiled and rose from her chair. "Now let's try to have some fun!"

The hour before dinner was spent very differently for each of the various guests. Some delighted in idle chitchat, others in played outside in the snow, while many enjoyed the things Applebloom's mansion had to offer. Enclosed in its walls, the house had a small bowling alley, an indoor swimming pool, and a projection room. There was even a large library, which Twilight Sparkle could not help but investigate.

Applebloom herself alternated between talking to everypony and getting drinks and such. In the parlor, several of her relatives were sitting and talking, warming up by the fire. Her older brother and soon to be father-in-law were laughing and bonding. Apparently the two had grown fond of one another. Applejack was busy in the great room helping Rarity, as were Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash. Twilight's aid was intermittent, Spike offering as a stand-in.

Eventually, Jeffery informed his employer that dinner had been completed. Ushering everypony into the giant formal dining room, Applebloom then sat at the head of the table. Tomorrow the bride and groom would sit there, but tonight Applebloom was the de facto Matriarch. Jeffery and Pinkie Pie brought out a great number of trays, each containing succulent pieces of culinary art.

After toasting the new couple-to-be, Applebloom gave the word and everypony dug in, including her handycolt. The meal was perhaps the finest they had in a long while, easily causing most of the guests to stuff themselves. Every single plate was cleaned and every glass emptied.

Afterwards, true to the Apple Family virtues, everypony pitched in to clean the dishes. Much to Jeffery's relief, the entire load was spotless in no more than fifteen minutes. The handycolt walked over to Applebloom and quietly thanked her.

"I express my gratitude, Mistress. Though I must ask, where are tonight's activities to occur?" He asked, a bit apprehensive for an answer.

"Don't worry; the stallions go to one place, the mares to another. We'll be out of your mane, unless you wanna come." She glanced to her side as everypony was taking a moment to let their food settle. "We're scheduled to leave in about a hour." she also noticed her closest friends going into the parlor, as instructed to during the meal. "Ah must host a...meeting in private."

"Of course, Applebloom." Escaping into the parlor, the yellow mare closed the doors behind her, preventing anypony from eavesdropping. Jeffery stood in front of the door to puzzled looks on the room's occupants’ faces.

Taking out his pocket watch, Jeffery noted the time. "In fifty-five minutes, you all are to disperse in two camps and have parties, I'm told. If any of you need anything, please do not hesitate to ask."

----------

Behind the locked parlor doors, Applebloom, Babs Seed, Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, and Fancypants all sat in their chairs, the room lit be the fire. Silence permeated for a few moments, before a white Canterlot stallion spoke.

"Now that we have privacy...Miss Seed, what happened?"

Gazing into the fire, Babs began. "Yesterday, I came back to the station to find my old Lieutenant was in my office. Turns out a guy I apprehended last Thursday didn't do anything wrong, accordin' to the new legalization of cocaine. Mayor dismissed me."

A single tear ran down her cheek. Her friends took notice, and prepared their hearts for wrenching. "He made Cruller Chief. It was a game of corruption. He was brided; apprently I have become a threat to their little operation. He was tasked with getting rid of me. Last night...in the pawrk...he came up...and pointed a gun at me..." Sniffing a bit, Babs continued. "We threw down, and I won. I shot him in the skull. Bastard was dead before he hit the ice on the river below."

"I'm so sorry, Babs." Sweetie Belle consoled. She knew of the events, but that didn't ease the pain her sympathetic heart felt. "So are the police...part of this 'organization'?"

"I don't know. Without Cruller, they might still be on our side."

"Then you haven't heard..." Fancypants said solemnly.

"About what?" Scootaloo asked, expecting the worst.

"Last night, on the East End, a police exercise occurred. The papers say it was a gross miscalculation on the part of police management."

"W...What happened, Fancypants?" Applebloom asked, removing the pipe from her mouth. "What's wrong?"

"They were ambushed." He said in a dreary tone. "All officers in the East End have been either...captured...or..." The kind-hearted stallion couldn't bring himself to finish that sentence.

"No...no! It can't be..." Babs' mind started spiraling, and she felt sick.

"I'm so sorry." Nopony spoke for a few minutes. Instead, Babs silently sobbed to herself, pounding her hoof down on the table beside her chair. Finally, Fancypants added to his statement. "At least, that is what the paper said."

Babs' ears perked up. "The paper? Blue Suit said the paper wouldn't even report on unconstitutional appointments. But they report the massacre of POLICE OFFICERS?!"

"How could somepony do this?...Wait! Why WOULD they let them report that?" Applebloom thought out loud. "It just don't make no sense. You think they'd wanna keep it secret. Unless—"

"They don't need to anymore." Scootaloo interjected, a revelation having just dawned upon her. "Think about it. The crime lords or whoever is orchestrating all this have the East End. It's theirs to control. Who knows how long they've been planting the seeds, but now they've taken over. They've got nothing to hide because...they know nothing can stop them."

"Are you sure?" Sweetie Belle asked.

"They taught us all about military strategy in Wonderbolt training. It's psychological warfare. They have, in one decisive move, eliminated all immediate threats to their position, as well as made an example out of them. They've sent a message to not cross them."

"So we know why they did it. What are we gonna do now?"

"There's only one thing to do, Applebloom! We fight back! Send every one of those bastards to Hell!" Babs had fire in her eyes and half a mind to leave right now and exact justice.

"Hold on! Let's piece this all together. Alright," Applebloom began. "The crime lords somehow fixed City Council and the Mayor. They manipulated them and now they're just puppets. They cheated in the derby with those sedatives that caused Scootaloo and Rainbow Dash to faint. They got money on the bets to use to bride ponies like Cruller."

"So that's what you girls found out the other day. This 'hyper-syndicate', if I may call it that, seems very well funded." Fancypants said, thinking just as hard as the others.

"The drug trade! Now that they can traffic all those drugs legally, they wouldn't be bothered. They could raise funds quite quickly, right?" Sweetie Belle said, casting her theory.

"That'd put a dent in their expenses, but Ah'm not sure it was exclusively that. And Diamond Tiara has to fit in here somewhere..."

Babs glared at her cousin. "What do you mean? What's that bitch hidin'?"

Sighing and slumping in her chair, Applebloom recalled her conversation with Tiara the previous night. "She ain't worth nothin'. She's a crook; a robber. Ain't got morals or values. She only thinks about money. Y'all were right. But she offered me a partnership. Ah turned it down, but she did say somethin' about the gangs. 'Buyin' 'em off'. She's a cog in the machine; no doubt."

"Diamond Tiara? As in the new head of Rich Enterprises?"

" 'Fraid so, Fancy." Babs said. "Well, I think we've pretty much solved everything."

"For now...but the important thing is...finding out what to do. The western half of the city is still free, Ah sure hope. But how can we dislodge all these gang members in the east? CAN we even do that? Babs, what do you think?"

"I don't know, AB. But I do know I'm burnin' with fury, and I just wanna rip them all apart."

Applebloom buried her face in her hooves. "Oh Ah've made a terrible mistake! The more Ah think about it, Ah really shoulda cancelled..."

"There's no point in blaming yourself, Applebloom." Fancypants assured her, smiling. "We'll think of something."

"Yeah, and in the meantime, we'll be extra careful!" Scootaloo said, leaping into the air and hovering. "I'm charged with protecting the citizens of Equestria from ALL threats, foreign and domestic!"

"And I may not be a cop no more, but I still have a duty to Manehattan."

"And whatever happens, we'll all stick together." Sweetie Belle said, caught up in the moment.

Applebloom however got up and slowly walked towards the fire. Gazing into its mesmerizing glow, she puffed her pipe. "You know, Ah never thought this would ever happen. Ah never thought when Ah came to Manehattan that this great city would fall to crime lords and gangs. Growin' up in Ponyville, we never heard of corruption or violence. But now it's very real." She paused. "Ah always try to be the best Ah can be, and be kind, generous, and above all honest. Sometimes it's a strange, alien thought that many ponies aren't like us. They're downright mean, cruel, greedy, and selfish. They lie and cheat to get what they want... Diamond Tiara is one of them."

Turning back toward her friends, Applebloom frowned. "Ah thought she'd grow out of it...Ah guess Ah was wrong." Then, out of the blue, she laughed quietly. "Sorry, Ah'm beginnin' to ramble."

The industrialist looked at the clock. "Ah think we should get ready to go."

"Alright Applebloom. Where are we going?" Sweetie Belle inquired.

"Ask Pinkie Pie. Ah have no idea."

The group exited the parlor and mingled for a bit before grabbing their coats. The mares and stallions segregated into two camps and went off in separate direction, Applebloom very conscious that the locations chosen were on the West End.

"Are you sure it's safe?" Sweetie Belle asked her best friend.

"As long as we maintain a low profile," Applebloom said, looking on at the cityscape. "Everything's gonna just fine."