• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 1,385 Views, 17 Comments

Of Coal and Diamonds - Alaxsxaq

  • ...
3
 17
 1,385

20. It's Settled

20. It's Settled

A quarter until one, the nighttime air chilling and filled with a healthy snowfall. The environment was all too reminiscent of the freezing cruelty of that pink pony a group of three mares had just escaped the grasp of. They had already crossed one of the bridges connecting the island to the mainland, facing no resistance. Quite unlike when they had first headed to the East End.

Along the way, the trio encountered a fiercely victorious group of citizens driving the criminals and gangsters from their hideouts. Rousing cheers and gunshots signaled the final victory in the Battle of Manehattan. Ponies emptied their cellars and pantries to arrange celebratory meals and parties, even at this late hour. Overwhelmed by sheer numbers and determination, the ponies who aimed to hold the city in their iron grip were now prisoners of a vengeful populace pushed too far.

And this victory comforted somewhat the three ponies passing by in a vehicle. A unicorn, pegasus, and earth pony. However they could not cheer or smile. Both physical and emotional pain preoccupied them on their journey back to Applebloom's large tower.

Applebloom herself remained silent the entire way, looking solemnly out the window and lost in her thoughts. Scootaloo periodically examined the wounds her friends had sustained, to ensure they would be fine until proper medical attention could be procured. Sweetie Belle winced every few minutes or so over her horn.

"Well looks like it finally stopped bleeding." Scootaloo remarked, dabbing the last bit of blood from the horn with a small tissue.

"Will I be able to...do magic again?" Sweetie Belle asked, afraid to hear the answer. Though she was never adept at using her magic, it was something she would dread losing. Thankfully Scootaloo's response lifted a great burden from her mind.

"Of course! Fractures above the foramen cornuale will heal good as new. Might take a while, though."

Sweetie decided to ignore the technical jargon and breathed a sigh of relief. "Still hurts, though. I'm sorry about your wings..."

"The feathers'll grow back come molting season." The Wonderbolt dismissed. Turning from the driver to the other pony in the vehicle, the pegasus studied the long cut running down Applebloom's head. "It's started clotting...probably won't need stitches. Definitely some kind of strip, though."

Applebloom didn't say a word, not even glancing at her "personal doctor". Awkwardly sitting back in her seat, Scootaloo waited for the trip to be over, patiently waiting for that tower to pop up.

The uncomfortable silence lasted a few more minutes, thankfully, as the destination appeared just down the street. Scootaloo observed the glowing streetlamps and undisturbed sidewalks. No hoofprints could be seen in the thin layer of snow on top of them. Had it been any other night, the avenues and boulevards of the "City that Never Slept" would be crowded with ponies living the nightlife amidst neon signs and intense light bulbs.

But tonight the emptiness only solidified the defeatist attitude permeating the automobile. The group was precariously perched on a teetering point, poised to fall at any moment. A critical error had been perpetrated by Applebloom, a fact which all three mentally agreed upon.

And this mistake might be the gust of wind to push the trio off the mountain.

Braking in front of the Apple Tower, Sweetie hopped out and galloped to the glass double doors, only to realize they were locked shut. Smacking her face with a hoof, Sweetie Belle awaited the owner's key. Still painfully dour, Applebloom slowly walked up to the doors and pulled out a ring of keys from one of her pockets.

After the door was opened, the three stepped into the lobby. Distant streetlights and moonlight barely illuminated the dark room. The centerpiece fountain had been shut off by the custodians tidying up after everypony else had left. The janitors finally went home a few hours ago. The only souls within this massive skyscraper were Scootaloo, Sweetie Belle, and Applebloom.

The time was perfect for a rest, and some private conversation. The orange pegasus looked up, seeing only blackness.

"Hey, AB? Would it be too much trouble to turn on some lights?"

No response or sound could be heard. Glancing around to see whatever her eyes had adjusted to, Scootaloo searched for Applebloom, Sweetie Belle joining in. "Applebloom?"

Still no response. Then Scootaloo spotted a dark figure across the lobby. The yellow mare was sitting quietly on a comfortable couch, placed to accommodate waiting business associates.

Trotting to her friend, Scootaloo looked down on the dark shape that was Applebloom's head. "Well? How do we turn on the lights?"

Again, there was no answer, as if the pony were locked in a trance. Scootaloo was losing her patience fast.

"Look; if we're gonna regroup and come up with some plan, we should at least be able to see two feet in front of us."

This time Applebloom did reply. "Ah have a plan. Leave town. Avoid Diamond at whatever cost. We should gather some supplies or―"

The mare was cut off by an angry Scootaloo smacking the back of her head, knocking off her brown Stetson.

"Dammit Applebloom! The hell's wrong with you?!"

Sweetie Belle gasped, but still trusted that the Wonderbolt would talk some sense into the despairing pony.

"I know you didn't kill that bitch 'cause you were too much of a coward! But I didn't think you'd run away! Ya know what they'd do to me if I ran away from duty?"

Applebloom looked up with a distressed visage. She struggled on what to say.

"They'd shoot me." Scootaloo said flatly. "Are you the same mare I charged into battle with? Or was she lost?"

Nearly hyperventilating, Applebloom replied with tears in her eyes. "We tried our best! But we―Ah...screwed it all up! Y'all heard what she's gonna do! To you both! To me! Mah family! If Ah fight back, she's gonna come down harder on all of us!"

"So you're just gonna give up?" Sweetie asked.

"She’s coming for us anyway. You gonna let her waltz in here and pick you up at her convenience, or are you gonna go kicking and screaming?"

"Ah can't take that risk..." The earth pony lamented. "If Ah fail...others will pay for mah mistake."

"Isn't that was all this is built on?" The pegasus gestured to the large metal globe above the fountain. "The idea that you'd fail? You're no stranger to risks, Applebloom."

"But...that was different. AH would've lost it all, not everypony else."

"You're just making up excuses. We looked to you as a leader; somepony to incite and guide us in saving Manehattan." Scootaloo sighed. "Whether you're beside me or not, I'm gonna stop that pink menace."

As the Wonderbolt headed towards the doors, Applebloom stuck out a hoof. "Wait! It's...not safe to go alone."

Scootaloo turned around and smiled, a fact unknown in the darkness. The yellow businesspony got off the couch and kicked the floor. "But...if we do fail...promise me...y'all won't..."

"Nopony can fault you for making an effort." Sweetie Belle warmly reassured.

"I'd follow you to Hell and back! Now what's the plan?" Scootaloo eagerly questioned.

"Hold that thought." Applebloom then galloped over to a fuse box hidden quite well behind the receptionist desks. How she found it in the dark would remain a mystery to her friends. Flipping a few switches immediately illuminated the lobby and delivered power to the elevator.

Heading to the elevator, Applebloom picked up her hat and placed it back on her head. Pressing the button to open the steel doors, the mare gestured for the other two to join her.

"Ah'd feel much more comfortable in mah office. Maybe after a drink or two."

The doors opened, and in a flash the trio stepped in and pushed the highest button. Careening up the tower, their next course of action could be determined in peace and quiet.

----------

Objects were hitting and shattering against the wall. A raging mare was destroying everything in her sight. Absolutely furious, everypony in the office cowered in fear from her. Calmed, the Donna was cruel; fueled by anger, she could commit deeds ponies only read about.

Her three prizes were so irrefutably contained. Nothing, no loose ends stood to change that. She had those three right where she wanted them. But she left for a few minutes, and then they were gone. Her best friend had betrayed her.

Finally out of things to hurl, Diamond Tiara glared at her silver companion. Crying and truly terrified for her life, Silver Spoon backed up as far as she could when the magenta filly approached. Only the wall stopped the retreat. Diamond Tiara slammed her hooves against the grey pony, pinning her to the wall. Visibly losing her sanity and composure, the Donna twitched as she interrogated Silver Spoon.

"Why?" She whispered, paradoxically calm and manic simultaneously.

Trembling, Silver Spoon fought an answer through her sniffles. "You need help. Please! I just want to help you." The sincerity in her voice was ignored.

"Oh yes...you were supposed to help. I...trusted you in keeping them nice and safe. And in here. And. You. Didn't."

"Diamond..."

Utilizing her earth pony strength, the pink mare pressed hard, possibly cracking several of Silver Spoon's ribs. "YOU BETRAYED ME!! I HAD THEM RIGHT WHERE I WANTED THEM!! And you let them go. Why? What'd they offer you?"

Crying in pain, both physical and emotional, the grey filly pleaded once more. "You're not well... You're my best friend! I just want to help you! You're breaking the law! Hurting innocent ponies! Even killing them! I can't take it anymore..."

"I would have never harmed YOU." She pressed harder. "But now you've left me no choice. How am I supposed to get her now? Applebloom's far too smart to fall into the same trap again." Diamond Tiara then got an idea. "One move, two pieces."

Diamond let up on Silver Spoon. Out of energy, she collapsed on the floor. The Donna ignored her, and instead picked up the phone from the pile of objects she threw. Thankfully it was still in working condition.

"Grey Eminence!" The stallion perked up, taking a breath from his cigarette. "You're my new right-hoof! Effective immediately. Now, what do you say we give our good friend Applebloom a call?"

----------

Having calmed her nerves with a single glass of whiskey, Applebloom was busy thinking of a plan with her unicorn and pegasus accomplices. Ideas were being thrown around, most extemporaneous machinations of desperate ponies' minds. Applebloom gazed out her window at the illuminated skyline.

She wasn't sure what to do about Diamond Tiara, but she had resolved to see it through.

"We can't kill her." Sweetie said. "Silver Spoon asked us to help her. We owe her our lives."

"Yes but she’s too dangerous to be kept alive." Scootaloo replied, showcasing an absolute outlook. "Besides, I'm not sure we CAN get her help. A padded cell, maybe."

"Sweetie's right." Applebloom said, downing the last sips of her drink. "We have to neutralize her. Silver Spoon still thinks Tiara can be redeemed."

"She's a damned fool." Scootaloo hissed.

"She's her only friend. That must awful..." Sweetie uttered, cringing at that prospect.

Before the conversation could continue, the phone on Applebloom's desk began to ring. The yellow mare looked at it puzzled.

"Who could be callin' at this hour?" The realization dawned on her immediately after she spoke. Picking up the device, she hesitated to answer. "Hello?"

"Hello m'dear." That voice would haunt Applebloom nightmares for a long time to come. "It's a shame you had to leave early. We were just getting started."

Applebloom only offered heavy breaths to the dialogue. "My good friend Silver Spoon sent you off too soon. You turned her against me. She is now my enemy."

"But...wait!" The yellow earth pony said, trying to form a thought.

"This could be a blessing in disguise. Who knows? I miss you, baby. When can I see you again?" The sound of a pistol cocking was very clear to Applebloom. Her eyes widened, and she placed the phone so Sweetie and Scootaloo could hear as well. "I'll let you decide that." Time slowed down, and Diamond Tiara looked over to the fear-soaked Silver Spoon. The grey pony's screams for mercy hurt the three former cutie mark crusaders. A gunshot later, and those cries faded as a faint "thud" came from the speaker.

The room was silent. The trio couldn't believe Diamond Tiara ki―no! They couldn't bring themselves to admit it. But it happened.

The Donna slipped back into madness, her voice becoming erratic. "I'll be at my mansion. Stop...by anytime." A demented laugh later and Tiara finished. "Come...bring down the Beast..." The distinctive click signified she had hung up.

Emotions running high, the office's occupants couldn't fully grasp the situation. Another one for the body count. That mare had claimed too many lives. The three nodded to each other, understanding all too well the logical and necessary measure to take.

Applebloom would have to do it. She truly was too dangerous to keep alive. This was her war, and she would be the one to lay the final blow. Her friends would be indispensable, but ultimately it was her burden. Any petty reservations she had were to be put aside. Now was the time for courage and resolve.

Producing her cherished revolver, she swung the cylinder out and made sure it was fully loaded. Six shots; five more than she would need. Girding it again, she looked at Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo.

"Ready?"

"As I'll ever be." Scootaloo said, her face unmistakably determined.

"Of course." The white unicorn confidently spoke.

"Let's go." They wasted no time in leaving the building, locking all doors and turning off all lights on the way. After shutting off the switches for the main lobby, Applebloom trekked outside into the cold night and galloped to the automobile they had used to escape. At first appearing to jump inside, Applebloom immediately hopped out bearing her rifle.

"We're takin' MAH vehicle." Scootaloo cranked up the industrialist's personal motor carriage while Sweetie Belle revved the engine. Applebloom checked her rifle. "Looks like Ah got a single clip left in here. Scoots!" She then tossed it.

The pegasus looked up and caught the rifle. She closed the chamber and got a fierce look in her eye. "Eight rounds. Let's do some damage."

After everypony was inside, Sweetie floored the pedal and raced off to the Rich Mansion. It was settled. The group determined Applebloom would confront the Donna, and Scootaloo would ensure a safe journey.

The red-maned earth pony knew that before Celestia's sun would rise again, only her or Diamond could see it. But Applebloom endeavored to make sure if she couldn't see the next day, by all her strength and will, neither would Diamond Tiara.

Her revolver would be emptied if necessary. No more than six bullets would be needed.

By her dying breath, Applebloom would ensure the Donna fell.