• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 1,386 Views, 17 Comments

Of Coal and Diamonds - Alaxsxaq

  • ...
3
 17
 1,386

10. From Bad to Worse

10. From Bad to Worse

On a Wednesday afternoon, the yellow pony sitting in her high rise office was hardly able to concentrate on her work. Applebloom's mind had been very busy the past two days, and at every opportunity she forsook the brief and documents in favor of gazing out her window, and pondering the situation she had found herself.

Earlier today, Applebloom had phoned Diamond Tiara, asking that they meet. In a couple hours, she would go over to the Rich mansion and solve whatever mysteries surrounded the acquisition of Amber Foods, as well as discuss the proposed merger.

She hadn't known the "new" Tiara for long, but Applebloom always saw the good in ponies. And the pink mare genuinely seemed to want to make amends. Indeed during the week or so of their "burying the hatchet", Diamond Tiara demonstrated a friendly and inviting demeanor. But Mr. Amber had resurged Applebloom's old thoughts on the matter.

She didn't want to believe it, and she still had trouble accepting that any kind of devious activity went into the acquisition. Tonight would clear things up, and if what Mr. Amber had said proved to be true, Applebloom could at least try and convince her "friend" to make things right.

But the merger was a different story.

Intently staring at the many buildings outside her window, Applebloom looked past the city to the many factories she had built. Every single refinery, every single mine, every single building, plant, and warehouse her company owned Applebloom knew its location and helped lay the foundation. Most every employee she knew on a first name basis. Nothing made her smile more than when one of her workers came and said "thank you for this job". Money was never the reason she went into business.

Money mattered little. True, Applebloom enjoyed the fruits of her labor. Her large house was a testament to this. But she had too much of it, so she thought. She could spend it on plastic surgery or solid gold swimming pools or other such idiotic things moronic billionaires did. But she'd much rather just give it away to the less fortunate or to firms that could cure diseases. Or maybe just a mining museum that would captivate a young filly or colt, as such a place had once captivated her.

Money was only second rate. The true reward was the idea that everything she did was to improve the lives of ponies. The sense of contributing to society, and perhaps many years from now, a little foal would look up at his or her parents and point at a picture of Applebloom, and say "I want to be just like mama."

A small smile grew on Applebloom's face, and she wiped a tear from her eye. Apple Industries was her baby, her legacy. When she would be long gone, ponies would remember her as a little yellow filly who had a dream. She'd never sell it or hoof it over for all the money in Equestria.

She'd have to tell Diamond Tiara, whether a robber baron or not, that Apple Industries will remain in her own possession.

Calming down from this intense resolution, Applebloom picked up a newspaper from her desk. Opening up the first page, she began reading the print. Nothing too interesting for most of the paper. The obituaries were last, and she made a quick survey over them. One entry, however, left the earth pony very saddened and disturbed.

There, written on the lower left corner, as clear as day in plain, everyday Equestrian, in black and white, the text clearly stated the name of one of her dear friends.

Earlier Tuesday morning, Amber Waves, former CEO of Amber Food Company, was found dead at his estate. The cause of death remains unclear, however authorities speculate Mr. Amber died of a heart attack, having had a history of cardiac problems. Amber Waves is succeeded by...

Every word Applebloom read filled her with soul-crushing sorrow, and she was unable to read any further. Indeed, after placing down the paper, she had a difficult time even accepting that this was true. For the next several minutes, Applebloom just sat at her desk, her face completely still and vacant. Her breaths were long and deep, accompanied by a loudly beating heart.

All the evidence was stacking up, and Applebloom slowly came to terms with this new revelation. She had learned a long time ago coincidences were very rare.

The next several hours were spent in deep thought. Today Applebloom wouldn't get any work done; instead she'd be planning out what she was going to say and do tonight. Fearing for her safety, she reached into her jacket and pulled out a firearm.

Placing the gun on her desk, she got out a few cleaning supplies from a drawer. It was a custom double-action .45 revolver, carried for her own protection. She started wearing it as soon as she had something worth stealing, but it was never necessary. Even so, Applebloom carried the revolver nearly everywhere. Perhaps she liked the tough cowgirl image it evoked. And she was no stranger to firing it, frequenting the shooting galleries with Babs.

But never before had it been used in anger. In fact, Applebloom never wanted to use it. She had never hoped it would be necessary. And even now, she didn't feel it would be used. But one can never be too careful.

Swinging out the cylinder, she unloaded it and began polishing the gun. After a few minutes, the stainless steel revolver shone brightly, no part more than the centerpiece: on the grip was a shining silver version of her own cutie mark, which these days she rarely paid much attention to. Loading each chamber in the cylinder, Applebloom flicked the gun to the side, bringing the chambers back into the gun.

Holstering it up, Applebloom looked at the clock. It was time now. Getting up from her desk, she neatly stacked up the papers, and did all the other things that were routine before the work day was up. Exiting and locking the room, Applebloom walked down the hall, bidding farewell to all her employees, who were also preparing to leave. A quick trip down the elevator, and then through the front door.

Now Applebloom was outside. Snow was falling down and the streetlights were beginning to turn on. Patting down her jacket to ensure her protection was with her, Applebloom took a deep breath and stood silent for a couple moments.

Working up considerable courage, the red-maned industrialist headed in the direction of the Rich Mansion, bearing a few choice words for her "friend".

----------

At the Main Manehattan Police Station, an orange mare had just walked in. Her blue uniform and cap signified to everypony in the building that she was in charge, and didn't put up with any nonsense. Making her way towards her office, Babs Seed picked up a donut from a box nearby and poured a cup of water from the water dispenser. Munching on her confection, the policemare then stopped in surprise at her own office door.

Where her nameplate had once been, a new one that read "Cruller" was there. Thinking it was some kind of prank, Babs burst into the office, startling the colt inside. He looked at his boss, her expression borderline homicidal.

Standing straight and dignified, Babs addressed the stallion. "Dammit Cruller! What the hell's the meanin' of this? Why are you in my office?" She took a look around, seeing that her Lieutenant had put posters and other personal effects throughout the room. Babs grew livid. "Why are YOU in my office!?"

Under normal circumstances, Cruller would've cowered in fear at his superior. Instead he gave a smug little smirk and laughed. "Oh hey Babs. Nice of youse to drop by MY office. Now get out."

"What are ya tawlkin' about? This is my personal place of work. I come back to the station after a lawng day of patrollin', and I find ya in here, sayin' it's yours. What gives?"

"You're lookin' at da new Chief of Police for Manehattan."

Babs' eyes widened, and she felt lightheaded. "What? But..."

"Dat's right, Babs. Dat little stunt ya pulled on Crank made its way to da Mayor. Here." He hoofed her a piece of paper.

Still shocked, Babs looked down at the print. It was a formal notice that she had been relieved of duty.

"You've been dishonorably discharged for usin' 'unnecessary force'. Ya can't go 'round arrestin' ponies for not committin' no crimes." Leaning back in his chair, Cruller's smile grew even smugger.

With half a mind to strangle the colt, Babs exploded. "WHAT!! You were supposed to tell me about the law change!! You...you planned this, didn't you?"

"Oh Babs, you give me too much credit. I ain't dat smart. Now turn in your badge, uniform, and all dat good shit."

Babs couldn't believe it. A stallion who was once her friend seemed to be taking pleasure in her leaving. But what really hurt was the fact she was no longer a police officer. Ever since fillyhood, she had wanted to get back at all the bullies in her life. All those punks calling her "Blank Flank" or talentless drove her to be very mean to her cousin and friends. She turned over a new leaf, and when she grew up, Babs became a decorated police officer.

She wanted to make a difference, and took down criminals left and right. Her entire adult life was dedicated to making the streets safe. And now, in one overzealous move, she lost it all. Trying her hardest not to cry, Babs complied with Cruller's orders.

She took off her uniform and cap, and placed them on his desk. Next her police badge. Cruller looked at her, as if she had committed some great sin.

"Your gun?" He eyed the pistol strapped to her chest.

Glaring at the colt, Babs replied. "It's mine."

"Alright, whatever. Not get outta here; you ain't got no business with da police."

Hanging her head low, Babs slowly exited the office. All the way from there to the front door, the other officers looked on at her, saddened to lose their leader. They took off their hats, and gave their friend a sympathetic look. Babs didn't look up. Instead she just grabbed her coat from the hanger, put it on, and left.

Outside in the snow and cold, Babs Seed wiped her eyes, silently sobbing to herself. She then headed in the direction of the park, hopefully to clear her mind and cope with this situation.

Meanwhile, back in his office, Cruller got a telephone call. Picking up the device, he bit into a donut.

"Yeah?...Oh yes, she'd gawn...Mhm went out like a crybaby...Of course. The 'exercise' will go as planned...I'm sure she does suspect something. Girls gawt a sixth sense for dis kinda stuff." The voice on the other end made the Chief curl his lips into a smile that would put a comic book villain to shame. "Consider it done." Hanging up the phone, Cruller rose for his office chair and went out into the main part of the Station.

"Alright, everypony. Da trainin' exercise starts in about an hour. Let's get movin'!"

----------

For the third time in the past week or so, Applebloom found herself at the front gates of the Rich Manor. The determined countenance she held indicated a mission not of friendly visitation, but of strict business. Pressing the button on the intercom beside the gate and saying her name, the gate swung open and the earth pony wasted no time running up the steps.

Knocking on the door, Diamond Tiara's hanycolt answered and allowed her in, remarking that Applebloom was expected.

Inside, Applebloom removed her coat and asked the whereabouts of the pink owner of the home.

"You shall find Mistress Tiara upstairs in the living room. Silver Spoon will be accompanying her."

Thanking the stallion, Applebloom trotted up the stairs and found the desired room. Amidst the crackling fireplace, that pink mare and her grey friend sat on two adjacent couches, smoking from fine black cigarette holders and reading different books.

Bookmarking her page, Diamond Tiara took notice of Applebloom's appearance. Smiling accommodatingly, she rose from the sofa and greeted her guest.

"Applebloom! Oh how nice it is to see you! What brings you here on this fine Wednesday evening?"

The yellow mare did not reciprocate the greeting. Instead she replied coldly. "Ah have a few questions for you, if'n y'all don't mind."

Diamond was taken off guard by Applebloom's accent. "Remember what we talked about concerning―"

"Ah know. Ah don't care no more. Some things have come to mah attention, and Ah want to get to the bottom of things."

"Alright. Let's have a seat on my sofa, shall we?" The two mares walked over to the couch and sat down. Diamond Tiara insisted on scooting closer to Applebloom, much to her discomfort. "Now, what seems to be troubling you?"

"Ah talked to Amber Waves on Monday. He said some pretty disturbing things."

Taking a sip from her glass of wine, Tiara smiled. "And what might those things be?"

"He said Rich Enterprises played dirty to get his company. He accused y'all of using...unethical methods to gain its shares; that his family wasn't quite treated as fairly as Ah was originally led to believe."

"Oh my. Well I can assure you, Applebloom, that they gave their shares to us, willingly. Though, they did require some...convincing. Indeed some of our methods weren't...how you say...honorable. But we have the company."

Applebloom's suspicions were finally starting to be made true. "Are ya sayin'...you admit to bein' a 'robber baron'?"

Diamond Tiara just laughed. "I would never use such a term. It was invented by the anti-corporate savages to demonize the true...extent of business deals. Applebloom, surely somepony as smart as you would realize sometimes certain means must be used to achieve a goal. I tried to be fair, but that proved ineffective."

Silver Spoon spoke up. "Indeed. We cannot let the disapproval of others get in the way of business."

Applebloom couldn't believe what she was hearing. "What about Mr. Amber? Ah read the obituaries. What happened to him?"

"Are you implying I had something to do with his untimely death? Applebloom, I must say I'm a bit hurt. Accidents happen all the time." She said, sipping again from her glass. "Why concern yourself with something you had no control over?"

"Because...he was mah friend." The red-maned pony said solemnly. "And Ah miss him."

"You'll make new friends, darling. In fact, friends come and go. All these 'old monies' are your friends now. Isn't that what you wanted?"

Applebloom was hesitant. "Well...yeah...but..."

"And now you have it all. Money. Power. Acceptance. The city is poised for you to take control. Imagine it, Applebloom. The entirety of Manehattan at your hooves. Together we could be unstoppable. We could bathe in money; be the envy of all ponies. Even the Princesses."

"So that's why you wanted the merger."

"That's not the only reason. If we worked together, we'd be spending..." Diamond tiara leaned up to Applebloom's ear, whispering. "Many hours with each other."

"I cannot deny it, I do feel a strong...attraction to you. But yes; if you were to join me, we'd be unstoppable. All you could ever want...and more would be in your grasp. We'd have each other, and money, and power. Isn't that what everypony wants?"

Applebloom scooted away from the pink mare. "Um...Ah like...stallions."

Her hostess merely uttered, "For now, darling."

"But that's not important. Ah'm sorry...but Ah ain't gonna be part of this whole thing. Ah like mah work, and Ah have a code of conduct. Obviously you don't." Applebloom prepared to get up to leave, her emotional distress unknown to the ponies in the room.

"Wait! Why? Why do you worry about how you appear to act? What do you care?"

"There is a right and a wrong. Ah ain't never done a dishonest deal, or stolen, or nothin'."

Diamond Tiara laughed mockingly. "That's right. You've done far worse. To some, those rights you've committed are evils. Two diametrically-opposed camps denounce everything that you are. To the aristocrats, a simple country hillbilly should never command the wealth you do. You belong in a field, toiling for your lord. To the communists, you stole your money from the hard-working proletariat, who have broken their backs to feed a fat cat like you."

Tiara got up, staring down Applebloom. "To them, you have committed worse sins than rape...or murder. To them, everything they do is just, and everything you do is evil. You see, morals are relative. What one group views as ethical is seen as sacrilege to another. Why concern yourself with what is right and wrong, Applebloom, when nothing IS right or wrong? When morality is an invention?"

The yellow pony digested Tiara's words. After a few moments, she responded. "Because Ah've made it right for mahself."

"To what purpose?" Silver Spoon said. "There is only what is and what isn't. You have wealth and power. Others don't."

"Exactly. Applebloom, we can have whatever we want. I get WHATEVER I want. I do not bog myself down with petty moral quandaries. The meaning of life is to please yourself, no matter the cost. If I want something, it is my duty to my own life to have it. No matter what ends I must go, it will be mine." Dimaond Tiara's look at Applebloom frightened her. Obviously the statement was partially meant for her.

"Ah...Ah can't believe this..."

"You will in time. Applebloom, you mustn't lie to yourself. Did you really think you’ll ever be a 'high-society' pony? You were born a farmer, and that's all you'll ever be. No matter how rich or powerful you become, the upper crust will always see you as an uncultured nouveau riche. They'll want to destroy you; break your legs and leave you for dead. Nopony cares for right or wrong. Only for what they want."

Diamond Tiara blew out a cloud of smoke. "But with me we can keep them in check. They will respect you if they fear you. The illusion you want for yourself can become a reality. How badly did you want to be accepted?"

"Well...Ah...very much...but that ain't the point!"

"It doesn't matter. The only way is to use extreme measures. A simple gold coin will make a poor colt murder his neighbor, or betray his parents. Think about what ponies do for money. They sell their bodies, their dignity, and their children! At their expense, we prosper. You've read the biologists' papers? The strongest survive to pick on the weak."

Applebloom’s mind was busy trying to process Diamond Tiara's speech. Everything she had grown up learning, about right and wrong, morals, honesty, kindness...it didn't matter to this mare. The scary thing, though, was that some of it started to make sense.

"The city can be ours. All you have to do is break from these ethical bonds that restrain you from your true potential. The gangs are mobilizing. Soon the city will fall into chaos."

Applebloom's ear perked up. Turned her head to face Tiara, the revelation dawned on her. "The gangs? The derby...the pardonin'...you didn't..."

"You give me too much credit. As if I were that cunning. A happy coincidence is all, which we can exploit."

A tear ran down Applebloom's cheek, and she responded, her chest heaving. "Ah don't care. A pony ain't nothin' if she doesn't have a good heart."

Diamond Tiara began to recognize her friend's resolve. "But...Applebloom...I'm your friend. I'm only looking out for―"

"Yourself. That's what you're sayin', right? You don't know what friendship is. Goodbye, Diamond. Ah don't have anything more to say."

Diamond Tiara however wouldn't take no for an answer. She rushed over to Applebloom and slammed her against the wall. Her mane became messy and her expression manic. "No! Applebloom, I will not be denied!" Silver Spoon got a worried look, and stood up to either intervene or flee. "The gangs are coming. I know it. Only if we work together can we survive. Do the smart thing!"

Applebloom had her hoof against her chest, right above her gun. Diamond Tiara calmed down, seeing the horrified face of the yellow pony. "Forgive me...I only speak for your best interests." She was, however, unaware that Applebloom was armed.

The industrialist pushed Tiara away. "Ah'm gonna do the right thing." Quickly running down the stairs, Applebloom exited the mansion. Outside, breathing heavily and beginning to cry, Applebloom galloped full force back home. She wanted nothing more to do with Diamond Tiara or Rich Enterprises.

Left in her living room, the pink mare grew increasingly angry and swung her hoof at a lamp, smashing it against the wall. "So Applebloom has chosen her fate. She will regret this night." Silver Spoon cowered in the corner, shacking in fear.

"You're not going to...to kill her?...Please Diamond..."

Diamond Tiara began laughing for a third time, but now it was offbeat. "No. I'm not going to kill that Blank Flank. I will give her a FAR harsher punishment!" The pink earth pony, adjusting her mane and then relaxing, gazed into the fire, now hell-bent on some terrible goal.

----------

The East End of Manehattan had become a terrible place to live. Along its streets strong ponies came and bullied the inhabitants. The mobs had a chokehold on this part of the city. In a run-down motel, several armed gangsters escorted a large golden pegasus, cigar in mouth, to a certain street.

Palomino was now in charge of the East End, and tonight was promised to be very...entertaining. Puffing a cloud of smoke, the Don looked around to see dozens of ponies in the street, all armed and ready to fight.

"Alright...now dis is what I'm tawlkin' about. What time did youse say they'd be comin'?" He asked one of his guards.

"Eh...'bout two minutes, on the mawrk, bawss."

"Good. Now let's get ready, ya bastards."

Another guards cocked his submachine. "Sure thing, bawss."

The ponies all scrambled into hiding places around the street. Further down the road was a large host of blue-uniformed policeponies, some holding flashlights.

One spoke up. "Hey! Where'd the Chief say he'd be?"

"Cruller said he had something to take care of. Don't worry; the Lieutenant'll direct the training exercise."

A third police officer spoke up. "Why the hell are we doin' an exercise out here at night? We should awll be at home."

"To simulate workin' in dark environments, I guess. Mayor's orders."

"Yeah. I think he wants us to be on edge, you know. Be prepared to do some night fightin'."

"But we hardly ever get into gun fights!"

"Never hurts to be ready. Who are we pretend fightin' anyway?"

"About half the officers are gonna be bad guys, and we switch every session. Should be like a game or something."

One officer chuckled a bit. "Yeah...'cept we get graded."

Stupidly standing around for the order to begin, the policeponies began making idle chat and whatnot.

Palomino peaked from behind his hiding spot. He saw all the colts and mares in blue, just standing there.

"Dis is too easy." Puffing his cigar, he grinned. "Go to town, boys."

----------

Babs Seed strolled alone in Central Park, feeling very downtrodden. Her hoofsteps were muffled by the snow, and it was a quiet and peaceful place to lament the loss of her job. The bitter night would soon set in, however, and eventually Babs would have to leave. Wiping her eyes for the last time, the orange mare walked over to the edge of a bridge. The river was partially frozen over, but it would break up some during the warmer daytime. Leaning over the rail, Babs sighed, and wallowed in self-pity.

As she prepared to leave, she heard a voice to her left. "Hello Babs Seed. Lovely night, isn't it."

She recognized that voice too well. She turned to face the pony and glowered at him. "What do you want, Cruller. Kick me while I'm down?"

The stallion smiled. "Why are you out here? There's nopony around...what if somethin' were to happen to you?"

"I came here to be alone...of course nopony's here. Now go away...I'm in no mood to put up with your bullshit." She turned around to leave.

"No can do, Babs. You see I've come here for a reason."

"What?"

Out of nowhere, Cruller pulled out a gun and pointed it at Babs. The orange earth pony stopped dead in her tracks. Trying to calm down, she carefully addressed the colt. "W...Why are ya holdin' a gun up to me? What'd I do?"

"You've become a real problem for my employer. I’ve given da privilege of getting’ rid of you."

"Employer? Who?"

"I don't know, actually. But I do know dey paid me good money to do deir dirty work. I gawt ya now, Babs."

"So that's why you didn’t tell me...that's why you gawt the job. Those corrupt bastards roped you in too, hah?"

“‘Bout right."

"How much'd they pay you to betray the city?"

Cruller smiled, and cocked the gun. "400k. It's a nice sum of cash I can use for a vacation, after you're nothin' but a memory. Bye bye." He prepared to shoot, but Babs was too quick.

She bobbed out of the way and swung her hoof into his jaw. Cruller fell to the ground, dropping his gun. Babs reached into her coat to pull out her own firearm, but Cruller immediately rose up and shoved Babs down onto the icy concrete.

Babs got up, and wiped the blood from her mouth. Cruller did the same. Both unarmed, the two ponies took to fighting. Babs lunged forwards and wrapped her hoofs around his neck. He wouldn't go quietly, and Cruller elbowed her in the gut.

Temporarily fazed, Babs allowed the new Chief to run over to his gun. Before he could grab it, the orange mare galloped forward and slammed her hoof into his snout, sending him backwards. The gun went flying, and she couldn't see her own against the like-colored pavement. She instead jumped onto Cruller's back, causing it to audibly pop.

Cruller cried in pain, and desperately tried to push the mare off. Pressing her hoof down on his chest, Babs took shots at his face. Bloody and bearing black eyes, Cruller just laughed. "You think killin' me will do anything? Just give up. We're too entrenched in da city now. By dis time next week, we'll have your little cousin on her knees beggin' for death."

In truth, Cruller was just trying to demoralize Babs. But it only served to make her even angrier. "If any of ya dares to touch my family, I swear I'll break every bone in every gangster's body!" She punched him again, but in her blind rage, she didn’t notice his own hoof before he smacked it into her temple. Babs fell off, momentarily confused.

Cruller ran to grab his gun, but Babs got up just in time to pursue him. He swung to point it at her, but his foreleg was caught in a hold by Babs. Bent in a way it shouldn't be bent, Cruller foreleg was broken. Screaming in pain and trying to get away, he saw Babs' gun. He picked it up.

"What ya shootin'? A .45? Seems a bit excessive." He was about to use it when Babs took his other foreleg and wrenched it so much that it left bloody bones jutting from it.

"The Apple Family don't believe in small bullets." Before she could make her next move, Cruller kicked her down onto the edge of the curb. Trying to balance on two legs, the stallion then kicked Babs' head so her teeth were biting the curb. The only thing keep him from yelling in pain was the satisfaction of what came next.

"You're a tough one, Babs." He then raised his leg up and placed it over her head. Before he could bring it down, Babs rolled out of the way. Cruller's hoof met the curb, hurting him. Delayed from the failed stomping, Cruller couldn't react fast enough when Babs turned around and bucked him with all the strength her hind limbs had. He flew back and slammed against the bridge railing. Nearly exhausted from having two broken legs and likely several more fractured ribs, Cruller tried to crawl away.

Wasting no time, Babs got her gun and pointed her semi-automatic pistol at Cruller. Not thinking twice, she fired the gun, and Cruller’s skull was pierced by a large lead bullet. The force sent him falling off the edge of the bridge. His lifeless corpse then slammed onto the ice, stained it red, and finally slithered off into the river.

The adrenaline rush fading, Babs' breathing became less intense, and her eyes began to water. Holstering her pistol, she looked at the bridge. Trembling and both physically and mentally exhausted, Babs spat on the pavement. She then made her way home, quietly weeping to herself again.