• Published 30th Nov 2012
  • 1,386 Views, 17 Comments

Of Coal and Diamonds - Alaxsxaq

  • ...
3
 17
 1,386

17. One Step Closer

17. One Step Closer

Just as Luna's night began descending upon the city, the single vehicle carrying the three Ponyville Cutie Mark Crusaders alumnae reached its commanding position at the head of the newly formed Manehattan liberation army. Softly roaring motors broke up the dead silence as the members anxiously awaited the "Thunder Runner" to charge into battle.

Looking up at the steel cables of one of the largest suspension bridges in Equestria, then at the starry sky, Applebloom closed her eyes and took a deep breath. Calmed in her inner thoughts, the yellow mare quietly whispered to herself.

"Forgive me." She uttered, barely audible.

Sweetie Belle, sitting in the passenger seat, heard her friend speak. "Who are you talking to?"

Applebloom paused and thought for a second. Then she replied with a vague statement. "Whoever's listenin'."

Taking a puff from her cigar, the pony was about to shift the vehicle back into gear when a rattling sound stopped her. Using her ears to pinpoint the source, she soon realized it was her unicorn friend. Sweetie Belle was shaking in fear, her rifle's components causing a faint tapping sound.

"Are you alright, Sweetie?"

"Yeah...um...Applebloom?" The white pony asked, trying her hardest to calm down. "Do you think...maybe I could drive? I'm sure you're a better shot than me...and well..."

Applebloom gave her a comforting smile. "Of course. Here."

The two swapped places and Applebloom rolled down her window to point her rifle out of the automobile. Sweetie Belle rolled up her window, feeling safer behind another piece of bulletproof glass.

Amid the glow of the dashboard lights, Sweetie moved the stick into "drive" and looked at Applebloom. The industrialist nodded, a stream of smoke coming from her mouth. The unicorn proceeded to press the pedal, accelerating the armored car down the bridge.

As the snow fell, the assembled horde of Manehattanites advanced at the urging of their leader. The dozens of vehicles sped up likewise while the "foot soldiers" galloped or flew full force. Rousing cheers erupted from these brave ponies.

Atop the Thunder Runner, Scootaloo prepped her weapons for an all-out barrage of lead. Squinting her eyes, the Wonderbolt surveyed for a target. As a member of Equestria's esteemed Air Force, she was finally going to engage in the activity she was trained for: actual combat.

The idea of killing another living thing for your country was one the pegasus occasionally had difficulties accepting. She knew the rules of war were different, and deeds must be commited that would be abhorred in peacetime. But enemy soldiers were loyal patriots, little different from her.

However, these mobsters were criminals, who'd gladly kill or steal for money. They tried to kill Applebloom and Babs, and very nearly succeeded. As much as it disturbed her, Scootaloo found it easier to aim the guns at these ponies.

As expected, perhaps twenty or so gangsters stood at the very edge of the bridge, drinking and smoking. They were placed there to restrict entry into the city to supply shipments. Now they would serve as the first line of defense for the massive syndicate that held Manhattan Island in a vice.

Sweetie Belle stopped the automobile right before them, at Applebloom's insistence. What looked like the ringleader, a green suited unicorn, approached it, a smug look on his face.

He directly addressed the red-maned earth pony. "Wow! Dey done gave youse some fancy toys, huh? Don't you come no closer. For every hoof that crosses dis bridge, ten ponies die. Kindly back up. I know the military don't wanna hurt innocent civilians."

Glaring assertively, Applebloom aimed her rifle at the stallion, the bayonet point touching his throat. Blowing a big cloud of smoke in his face, she sternly replied. "We ain't the military. We're just citizens."

The unicorn's countenance shifted from arrogance to fright. He galloped back to his group and seemed to be about to give some kind of orders. Before he could, Scootaloo pointed the dual .50 caliber machine guns at the "bouncers". A few short seconds later, after the sound of gunfire had subsided, all of them laid motionless on the cold street.

The battle had started. The decisive event that would determine Manehattan's fortunes erupted in a burst of gunpowder and blood. Hundreds of gangsters soon poured into the fray, bringing with them very effective weapons. Applebloom couldn't be sure how the other two bridges were doing, but the fighting here was getting intense.

Sweetie Belle kept racing down the streets and boulevards, hell-bent on reaching the Capitol. Quite a few bullets actually hit the windshield, terrifying her. Of course they didn't penetrate, but that made little difference to the filly. An eternity would pass before they finally reached their destination, with each minute agonizingly stretching on for Sweetie Belle.

For the other two, however, things were different. Scootaloo felt everything happening at the speed of light. Having a full three-sixty range of movement on her turret, the pegasus tried her damnedest to alleviate as much as she could the fights other ponies were engaged in. The gangs were outnumbered and likely outmatched, but that did not stop them from landing a few good shots. Ponies did die. Ponies Scootaloo had just met, spoken to, or even trained earlier today. They're lives ended; mangled and bloody corpses on a grim battlefield.

The many apartments passed along the way were not spared the chaos. At the knowledge they were under attack, many mobsters broke into the abodes and drug out hostages. Applebloom and Sweetie Belle could not see much of this inside the cab. Scootaloo had the cruel experience forever engraved in her memory. Wives and children screamed at the top of their lungs when their husbands were taken outside and shot in cold blood.

One bit a solace remained, though. The murderers wouldn't last long as the onslaught of freedom-fighters avenged their fellow compatriots.

These atrocities made Scootaloo furious, and she gunned down any mafiosos with extreme prejudice, especially if they tried to enter a home. Finally, when the ammo belts had been depleted, Scootaloo slipped back into real time, nearly hyperventilating.

And of course during this nightmare ride, Applebloom sat in the passenger seat, smoking her cigar and shooting a very accurate and deadly weapon. Rustic country folk enjoyed a nice gun, and she was no different. But Applebloom was not a soldier, and hadn't worked up the mentality Scootaloo had been trained with. The yellow mare shot many rounds off into the crowds of criminals, but she made no effort to see if anypony was hit. She made no count of her kills. In fact, she didn't even aim at anypony in particular.

For all her building up this army, for all the words she said and the work she did, Applebloom's mind just wasn't where it should've been. Consciously the pony knew she needed to shoot to kill. But something stayed her hoof, and she just couldn't accept that fact. The blood of two ponies was already on her hooves. Could she live with much more?

She was disgusted with herself in having shot those two, regardless of their intentions. As far as reason went, Applebloom was quite aware of the necessity of that act. Emotionally, she could not forgive herself. Her reservations on taking the life of another were very well hidden, to keep morale high. But in the thick of things, they started to show.

Every silenced scream, every sound of a pony hitting the asphalt, Applebloom shed a tear. When her eight-round clip was emptied and popped out, she even thought about whether or not to load a new one. But bravely she soldiered on. This first engagement was over before she knew it, but when the large white capitol building appeared outside the window Applebloom had to take a moment before she got an anxiety attack.

The sound of gunshots was distant here. Scootaloo took short breaths, visible in the cold air. The last rounds had come off from her barrels, the smoke still rising. Grabbing her rifle and flapping down to the ground, she opened the driver's door.

Looking inside, she saw Sweetie Belle still sitting at the wheel. The unicorn seemed zoned-out, staring blankly into space.

"Sweetie." The orange mare asked. "Hey! Sweetie!"

The filly snapped back into reality, jerking her head around to face Scootaloo.

"Are you alright?"

"Huh? Yeah...I'm fine. Just a little...shaken up." Scootaloo smiled and helped her white friend out of the vehicle. Before closing the door, Sweetie Belle levitated her weapon up off the seat and removed the ignition key.

The two hopped over to the other side, prepared to meet Applebloom. To their surprise, the earth pony was still inside, oblivious to the world, her cigar in hoof. She felt a bit nauseous, and was bowing her head, trying to make the illness subside.

Glancing out the window, the concerned looks on her friends' faces prompted Applebloom to exit automobile. She couldn't let any sign of weakness dishearten them. Puzzled and worried, Sweetie and Scootaloo tried to aid the yellow filly, but she gently shoved their hooves away.

"No. Ah'm fine...Come on! We're wastin' time." Slinging her gun, the cowgirl galloped up the steps of Manehattan's center of government, cigar clenched in teeth.

"Applebloom! We can take a breather! It was rough back there and we understand if you need a moment!"

She stopped and turned around, looking down the steps. Scootaloo was truly afraid Applebloom might just give out, sooner than later. "You'll push yourself too hard. A pony can only take so much."

"We can't afford to wait around. Not on mah account. Y'all can stay behind it ya want. Ain't no problem goin' alone." She replied, puffing once more. Dignity was restored to herself, and the ultimate goal still in her eyes.

Little solace was offered in Applebloom's response. Scootaloo knew the truth. That strong earth pony could only steam forth for so long until her "engine" blew. But taking after her idolized captain, the Wonderbolt remained fiercely loyal. Nodding to Sweetie, the pair rushed up the stairs.

Applebloom bucked open the large double doors of the building, causing a large echo to resound inside the vaulted marble room. Before all of this started, the room would have been bustling with politicians, union members, businessponies, interest groups, protesters; really just about any kind of pony.

Now vacant, the trio ran quickly, their hoofsteps painfully obvious. Two "guards" were standing in front of a staircase, preventing any entry upstairs. Upon noticing the three mares careening towards them, they stood up tall and puff out their chests.

"Hey! Stop right there! This area is off limits! If you want to see―" The senior guard was interrupted when Applebloom's bayonet found its end touching his jugular. The other guard was likewise threatened by Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle's barrels.

"How many are up there? How many ponies do Ah have to shoot to get to the Mayor?"

Gulping audibly, the terrified guard made it clear he wasn't armed. "It's...just the two of us. Listen, we're just security. Whatever qualms you have with him, we don't know nothing about it.

"What kind of guards are you!?" Scootaloo angrily shouted. "Unarmed and spineless!"

"The Mayor don't need a whole lotta protection: he's just a pawn." Applebloom proceeded to whack the guard across the head with her rifle's stock. Scootaloo did the same to the junior one. They both fell to the ground unconscious.

As they trotted up the stairs, Sweetie Belle looked down at the guards. "Will they be alright?"

"Well..." Scootaloo began. "Blunt force trauma's never a good thing, but they're strong stallions. I'm sure they'll be fine. I'm a little concerned Applebloom broke his skull, though."

Sweetie gave a soft chuckle, and followed the rest up the stairs. Dashing past many empty offices and rooms, Applebloom came to one marked with the Mayor's name. Narrowing her eyes, the industrialist kicked down the door.

Behind it was a lone secretary, just getting ready to return home. When she turned around to see what happened to the door, the light orange unicorn dropped everything in horror at the sight of a rugged, armed pony smoking a cigar. Throwing up her hooves, she began to cry.

"Please! Take my necklace! Take my money! Take everything! Just don't hurt me, please!" She was pleading for her life, mascara dripping from her eyes. She soon fainted, collapsing on the floor.

Applebloom simply rolled her eyes and continued on to the Mayor's office. Busting the door's hinges, she came to a stallion dressed in a blue suit leaning back in a nicely padded chair. He was talking on the phone, not minding the intruders.

"Are you sure? Who would dare do something like that? How many can we spare?...Yes I know!...Of course!..." His eye wandered to the three fillies standing in his office. That eye widened and beads of sweat dripped down his face. "I'll have to call you back."

Hanging up the phone, he sat up straight in his chair. Almost hyperventilating, the Mayor couldn't believe his eyes.

"A...Applebloom! How...is it possible? What are you doing here? Oh no..." The stallion was about the cry. His superiors had assured this couldn't happen.

"Surprised to see me?" She walked closer to his desk and threatened him. "Ah have some questions for you and you better have some answers, because I'm gettin' tired of holding ponies at point-bayonet with no payoff."

"I...I don't know anything! I’m a victim...like you!"

"You're a bad liar. Who're you workin' for? I'm gettin' antsy" Applebloom was of course bluffing, but the Mayor didn't know that.

Scootaloo figured she'd help with the interrogation, and flew up behind him. "I know quite a few ways to fatally shoot a pony but in such a way that they won't die for a little bit. Enough time to make you regret holding your tongue."

Trembling and nearly wetting himself, the stallion struggled to find any excuse that could save him. Then he decided it would probably be against his best interests to try and deceive these mares. "The...crime lords...I'm working for them. I'll tell you everything if you can stop them."

"That's better. First and foremost, why'd you pardon that son'a'bitch Palomino?"

"I...I got wrapped into this when they approached me with the idea of winning the elections every time."

"And in return for fixing the elections, you were willing to overlook some of the things they did, huh?" Sweetie Belle said, the story quite evident to her.

"Yeah. They fixed the council; bribed, blackmailed, threatened; you name it. Everything from legalizing the drugs to pardoning that murderer Palomino. They gave me lots of money and an estate in Western Equestria. You got believe me, I had the best intentions!"

" 'Best intentions' mah ass! What? You thought since you would be mayor for life you could enact whatever laws you wanted to?"

A weak nod from the pony followed Applebloom's outburst. "I wanted to make Manehattan the shining pillar of excellence for the whole country. But now..." He buried his face into his hooves as he sobbed. "I'm an unwilling pawn in all this. I would've gone to police...or Babs Seed."

"Babs is now in a coma because of them. Why didn't you?" Applebloom asked, fire in her eyes.

"Because..." He couldn't follow this up due to his sniffling.

"Because why?" Sweetie Belle interjected, curious about this unrevealed dark secret.

"Their leader...the Donna. She's the most sadistic, cruel...evil pony I've ever heard about. She took over the criminal underground and effectively drove Palomino into servitude. Thank all that is holy I've never met her personally. The things she does...never would I dream of having her as my enemy."

Applebloom now shook with rage. Leaning in closer, she blew smoke into his face. She grabbed his tie and stared the stallion down. "...Who? Who is the 'Donna'?" Thought she already had a pretty good idea.

"The CEO of Rich Enterprises...Diamond Tiara. Whatever challenges her rule is destroyed. Absolutely."

The words rocked Applebloom's very core, and her left foreleg came up, then slammed down, cracking half the Mayor's desk. Dropping her rifle she grabbed his lapels and pressed him against the wall. Her seething fury sent total fear into the stallion.

Scootaloo started to stop Applebloom, but she realized it was all but futile. The vengeful industrialist almost bit her cigar in half as she resumed the interrogation.

"Tell me...where is she? Is she at her headquarters?" The stallion whimpered. "TELL ME!!"

"I don't know." Applebloom raise her hoof, prepared to ram it straight into the Mayor's face. "I DON'T KNOW! I PROMISE!"

"She tried to have me killed. Ah swear Ah'll bring her to justice. And if you dare lead me astray..."

"You have my word. I don't know. They don't tell me much. I'm just another device for their aims."

"Do you know where Palomino is?" Scootaloo asked.

The Mayor's face lit up. "Yes! There's an old motel by the docks!"

Calming down, Applebloom looked at the clock. Almost eight o'clock. It was the best she could get, and she was wasting time. "You better hope Ah find that stallion. Because if Ah don't, you'll be facin' a lot worse things than an impeachment."

"Are you sure? Should we go there?" Sweetie asked.

"Might as well. We can't hang here much longer." Without missing a beat, the trio ran out of the room, leaving the Mayor to cower at his desk.

Outside in the cold, Sweetie Belle hopped back into the driver's seat. Turning the key, the engine revved and she shifted the vehicle into gear. Scootaloo flew up into the turret, while Applebloom resumed her position as side gunner. Sweetie pressed down the pedal as her yellow friend pointed her in the right direction.

The fights down the streets were likely still raging as fierce as ever. But the three mares had another matter to deal with. This was about cutting the head off the snake, slicing the roots and killing the beast. Applebloom had suspected for a while that Diamond Tiara was hiding quite a bit, a duplicitous mare with ulterior motives. She let her guard down, and it cost her dearly.

Applebloom still had questions, and they would be answered in time. But the hardest part would be dealing with that creamsicle-headed tyrant. Would she have to kill her? COULD she kill her?

Anger filled every vein in her body, but nothing could remove that looming hesitation. A price would be paid. In blood or something else; that remained to be seen.

----------

Chest heaving, the Mayor of Manehattan crawled back into his chair, silently weeping to himself. He glanced at his phone, and thought for a minute about what had just happened. That pony who had given this city so much life and prosperity now threatened his position and even his life.

Not just because she had pointed a gun at him not thirty seconds ago, but because if she succeeded in bringing down the crime lords, it would remove him from office. As unlikely as it was, this potential scenario could very damaging to those who grew very comfortable under the new regime.

Not to mention the wrath of a certain pink psychopath. Something had to be done to protect himself. Picking up the phone, he dialed a number he seldom ever dialed, or even dared to.

Placing the mouthpiece to where the receiver could hear, he summoned whatever courage he still had and waited for the line to pick up.

After what seemed like an hour, a voice finally sounded through the other end. A sultry, calm voice that on the surface would be soothing. To him, it was pure horror. "Yes, Mr. Mayor?"