• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 3,275 Views, 54 Comments

The Heart of Shadows - TheSilentAuthor



A young prince of the crystal empire saves a strange creature and soon becomes attached to it

  • ...
4
 54
 3,275

An Awkward Pairing

Sombra shielded his eyes from the morning sun invading the room as he awoke. He sat at the edge of the bed taking in the view of the city from the window across the room. He gazed until he heard a stirring sound come from behind him. Chrysalis’s forehooves wrapped around his neck as she rested her head against the back of his neck.

“Good morning.” He said in a whisper.

“Good morning to you to.” She responded. “That’s a lovely view.”

“Yeah I thought so too.” He said turning around to face her. “You know whats more lovely than that?”

"What?" She asked.

"Seeing your face every morning." Sombra said kissing her.

Chrysalis let out a laugh. "Good gracious you can be so corny sometimes."

"So what if I am? Can't one be a little corny from time to time." Sombra smiled.

"If only your subjects could hear there fearsome prince talk like a school colt writing a love letter to his crush." Chrysalis laughed.

"So where do you want to-"

A knock came at the door interrupting him.

"Who on earth could that be?" Chrysalis asked.

"I dont know, wait here." Sombra said getting up from the bed.

He went over to the door and flung it open to reveal a royal guard standing there.

"Can I help you?" Sombra asked.

"Sir, Sombra is it?" The guard asked.

"Yes that is me what do you want?" Sombra asked again.

"Forgive me I hoped I haven't disturbed you from slumber." He said taking a bow.

Sombra was a little annoyed but he kept himself in check. "No its no problem at all but may I ask why you are here?"

"I have been sent by princess Celestia herself good sir." The guard said.

Sombra frowned for he really didn't want to stay in Canterlot any longer than he had to. "Oh and what does the princess want from me?"

"She has requested that you and your guest have lunch with her today in the posh garden around the hour of three." The guard said nodding,

"But I have other plans already in place." Sombra said glancing back at Chrysalis.

"Sorry thats all that I was to tell you. Also I am to deliver a response to her so what is your response to this invitation?" The guard asked.

"Give me one sec." Sombra said closing the door.

Chrysalis looked at him with great curiosity. "Well that was certainly strange."

"Indeed I thought I told her we would be leaving today." Sombra said rushing over to the window to peer outside.

"So whats the plan?" Chrysalis asked.

Sombra turned around and sat on the bed. "I don't know I mean, yeah its nice of her to invite us and all but I thought we would do something different thats all."

Chrysalis scooted closer curling up against him. "You know we could just stop by and all. I mean how long would a lunch take anyway."

Sombra looked at her and smiled. "So you're saying that we should go huh?"

"I don't see why not." She said.

"All right, wait right here." He said getting up and headed for the door.

The guard was still standing there just as before not moving an inch.

"Tell Princess Celestia that we would be honored to join her for lunch." Sombra said with a smile.

The guard bowed his head and trotted down the hall away from Sombra's sight. Returning to Chrysalis he began feeling a sense of pride begging to take over him. His gaze was begging to worry Chrysalis for he was not saying a word.

"Um, hello Sombra you still there?" Chrysalis asked.

Sombra snapped back into the real world. "What? Oh, yes well we should begin getting ready to go soon shouldn't we?"

"Why we got a good while before lunch time. We should go out for a walk or something." She said.

Sombra smiled. "Sure lets."

The two strolled around the cities blocks during the early morning watching as the royal city was slowly waking up. Sombra was a little worried about going with Chrysalis to lunch with Celestia. He worried if Celestia would start questioning the changelings origins and that was something Sombra didn't want to happen. Chrysalis started to slow down a bit as the pair came to a square. Sombra continued to walk forward until he noticed that she wasn't beside him. Turning around he saw that she was puzzled about this part of the city.

"Hey, everything alright?" Sombra asked.

"Yeah, its just that this place seems familiar but yet I don't remember ever being here you know?" She said.

Sombra looked around and quickly knew why this sudden confusion clouded her mind. It was the block that was supposed to have the old mine shaft that he planned to help the circus creatures escape. He forgot that she was fading in and out during that time.

"Well I am sure it will come to you later, come now we should make our way to the palace." He said.

The two soon reached the palace which stated to shine in the early day sun. Sombra was approached by the same guard who came to their room. He quickly lead them through the palace and back into where the place opened up to the gardens. Sombra never had been in the famous Canterlot gardens but he was quite impressed from what he saw. They finally came to a small clearing where a table had been fitted for eating and both princesses where already there waiting for their guest.

Celestia spotted the pair and smiled. "Was wondering when you would show up."

"Like the old saying goes. 'Always show up when you feel like'." Sombra pulling a chair out for Chrysalis.

Sombra watched as Celestia eyes begging to study Chrysalis from head to hoof. From what he could tell she seemed to not recognize her. Which if that was the case he could care what would happen next. He quickly took his seat and soon an awkward silence fell over the table. Sombra began breaking out in a sweat.

"So, Chrysalis is it?" Celestia said breaking the silence. "Tell me what part from the empire dose your family hail from?"

Chrysalis smiled. "My father was born in the southern fields of gimstone and my mother was born in the capital itself. That is where I also was born."

Sombra couldn't help but smirked as he saw the expression on Celestia's face. It was a look of disappoint of being foiled of a plan.

"We hear the fields of the empire are quite majestic in the summer months." Luna said much more causally than Celestia.

"Oh if only I could described it in words. Its like looking over a sea of glass just as the late afternoon sun starts to set. Father would always take us every opportunity he could." Chrysalis said.

Sombra didn't know if he should feel grateful that Chrysalis was able to create such a vivid story or scared that she was able to so quickly. Earthier way he wanted her to keep talking.

"Well that sounds marvelous, so what do your parents do for a living. Just thought we would ask." Luna said.

Chrysalis's expression changed a little to a sad state. "My father used to be a general in the crystal army while mother was one of the local doctors"

"Was?" Luna asked.

"Forgive for its not proper table talk but my parents are no longer around." Chrysalis said in a low tone.

"Oh, we are so sorry for asking." Luna.

"No its alright it happen awhile ago. 'Weather the trees lose their leaves or the ground dries up, life still moves on'." Chrysalis said.

Sombra didn't recognized what the quote was from but he could tell it sparked Celestia's interest.

"You're a fan of Sir Rindlim?" Celestia asked.

"Oh yes I have read all his plays and major works but never have I seen them preformed. My favorite one has to be the 'The cold winter's grasp'." Chrysalis said smoothly.

"Really thats my favorite too." Celestia said.

Sombra was begging to ease up a bit at this spark in conversation.

"Hey I tell you what, our theater company here is putting on a production soon of 'winter's grasp'. Would you care to see it tomorrow night?" Celestia asked.

"Why, that would be lovely. I mean if its okay with you Sombra?" Chrysalis said.

Sombra could tell that she really wanted to see the play. Deep down he knew that it probably wasn't the greatest idea but then again crystal empire never had a theater company. So he smiled and nodded his head.

"Sure why not." He said.

"Splendid I will have seats arranged for us, and now I believe lunch is being served." Celestia said.

Lunch went better than Sombra could hope to imagine. Celestia and Chrysalis went on and on about different works by different artist. It was very relaxing to see them engaging in this type of conversation. He also tried to included Luna into the conversation but from what he could tell she wasn't into the theatrics like Celestia was. Once lunch was over Celestia had to go off and take care of certain things leaving them to do what they pleased. Chrysalis insisted on walking through the garden and Sombra agreed. During they're walk Chrysalis soon wondered off without Sombra noticing. It wasn't until he turned fully around to see she wasn't there.

"Chrysalis" He called out.

He began to worry, for he didn't know who else could be walking in the garden. He trotted down a short ways until he came to a clearing where there was a small fountain. Seeing no trace of here he was about to leave until he caught a glimpse of somepony. As he approached he could see that it was Luna. She was causally sitting by the fountain gazing into the water.

"Um, hello." Sombra said.

She quickly jolted and turned to look at him. "Oh, sorry you startled us."

"Forgive me I didn't mean to intrude but have you by chance seen Chrysalis?"" Sombra asked.

"Sorry but we haven't seen her around, did you lose her?" She asked.

Sombra walked over to her. "Unfortunately yes, I know this may seem odd but do you always talk like that?"

"Excuse us?" Luna said.

"Like that, I mean using the 'royal we' I can understand for royal events but you seem to use it all the time." Sombra said.

"We always have been taught that once in the face of other royalty we should speak this way. Unless given permission other wise." Luna said.

"Well whenever you're around me you don't have to use it." Sombra said.

"Thank you." Luna said.

"So I hear that you are raising the night now. Thats got to be exciting." Sombra said.

Luna gave a sarcastic smile. "Yeah its neat and all but its nothing like calling up the day. With the sun blazing and just overall waking everything up just seems so grand."

Sombra tried to think of something else to say to spark a conversation but nothing was coming to his mind. Luna seemed alienated and proceeded to go back to what she was thinking about. He slowly made his way out of the clearing and back into the almost maze like garden. It was quite for most of the time there but he was soon begging to fear that he may not find Chrysalis. Deep down he knew that would be impossible for she had to be somewhere here. Finally he heard something near by. Poking his head around a corner hoping to find Chrysalis he was instead greeted by the site of two random ponies, one a mare and one a colt. From what he could tell they were a couple with both having the same silver coat and almost identical with manes. The mare gave the stallion a kiss on the cheek. He smiled and moved on digging deeper into the garden. He came around the corner and was greeted by a force that knocked him off his hooves.

"Oh, I so sorry I didn't mean to knock you over sir." A sweet young voice said.

Sombra rubbed his hoof. "Its alright I should have-" He stopped in mid sentence when he looked up. Maybe it was just his imagination but he was staring at the same mare he had just seen not to long ago. "Weren't you just over there?" he asked.

"Excuse me sir?" She asked.

Sombra looked around in confusion. "Its nothing sorry again for running into you and all." he said getting up.

"Well sorry once again to you to, good day." She said trotting of in the opposite direction.

He stood there for a second trying to understand if he was seeing right. "Come on now Sombra your mind is playing tricks on you." he said to himself.

After awhile he could admit that he was lost. He deiced it was best to start wondering in circles hoping to find Chrysalis somehow. Leaning against a bush he began dozing off a bit.

"Sombra." Chrysalis voice said.

Sombra jolted and turned to see her standing there.

"Where in Equestria have you been?" Sombra said.

"Me, where on earth did you go?" she said in response.

"I turned around and you weren't there." Sombra stuttered.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes. "Sorry about that but I though you were behind me the whole time. Anyway its getting late we should make our way out of here don't you think?"

"Yeah lets I am growing quite tired of this place." He said.

The two eventually got out of the garden as the sun was begging its natural descent. Before leaving the area Sombra caught a glimpse of the couple he had seen in the garden. Except the scene was much different now, the colt laid against a bush appearing to be suffering form complete exhausted. The mare was kneeling down asking if he was alright. Sombra wanted to stop to see if he could be any assistance but he decided not to interfere with their business. Heading outside the palace grounds Chrysalis suggested that they find some place to eat for dinner. He didn't pay attention to the place she pointed out but once inside he didn't argue about the food. Overall it was good but to much of his surprise Chrysalis didn't eat that much. The look on her face seemed she had eaten an entire feast with just only having one small plate. Sombra didn't know what to think about it so he decided not to question it. Waking up the next day he jolted from the bed gazing around the room.

"Finally you decided to wake up." Chrysalis said leaning against the bathing room door.

Sombra rubbed sleep from his eyes. "What do you mean finally?"

"Its almost seven o'clock at night dear. I tried waking you up but you wouldn't budge." Chrysalis said.

"Really? What did you do all day." Sombra asked.

"Not much, after awhile when I couldn't wake you I decided to take a walk around the town." Chrysalis.

This both alarmed and concerned Sombra. A million and one scenarios began running through his head.

"Oh, also Celestia was in the one of the squares while I was out. She and I had a nice little lunch at this cafe in this wonderful campy part of town. Now please hurry up we got less than an hour before the play starts." Chrysalis said.

Sombra sat there not knowing what to say. Shaking off his awkwardness of sitting there he shrugged his shoulder and began getting ready to go. After a good solid half hour he and Chrysalis headed out to the theater. Upon arriving they were greeted by a guard who escorted them through the theater to a secluded part of theater. Soon they were greeted by Celestia.

"Sombra, Chrysalis I am glad you both could make it." She said.

"Evening Celestia, is it just the three of us here tonight?" Sombra asked.

"Yeah, unfortunately Luna doesn't share my love for plays. So Chrysalis you excited for tonights production?" She asked.

"Very, I think my hooves are shaking a bit." Chrysalis said with a smile.

"Well come on and take a seat the show will start very soon." Celestia said.

The play was a spectacle to behold of course Sombra couldn't follow the plot to save his life. During the duration of the play Chrysalis and Celestia kept whispering about the actors and the scenes in progress. Sombra's mind began wondering off half way through it and soon it was over. Walking out of the theater Chrysalis and Celestia went on and on about it.

"That was just wonderful Celestia thank you for inviting us." Chrysalis said.

"Anytime, say in a couple of months a troupe is coming to preform 'A midnight's love' you should definitely come." Celestia said.

"We shall see but I think for now me and Sombra are ready to go home." Chrysalis said.

Celestia frowned a little. "Aw so soon?"

"Well I got a kingdom to run and now so do you and you're sister." Sombra said.

"Well if I don't catch you both tommorow I wish you a safe journey back to the empire. And may I just say that it was an absolute pleasure meeting you Chrysalis." Celestia said.

"Likewise to you to." Chrysalis said.

"I have to go now as well I hope I see you both very soon." Celestia walking off.

Sombra watched as the princesses walked off into the direction of the place. Returning to their room Sombra laid his head against the head board of the bed.

"Something wrong Sombra?" Chrysalis asked.

Sombra looked at her. "Just a head ache thats all."

She kissed on the forehead right below the horn. "There better?" She smiled.

"Better." He smiled.

Author's Note:

Well this took longer than expected. Sorry for the recent decline of speed in publishing these chapters out but thats about to change. Once again I thank all those who have faved this, it really means a lot to me. I know it may seem like I don't responded when I see notifications but it doesn't mean I don't appreciate them. Thanks and I hope you enjoy the story and what is to come.

"Sometimes silence is the sweetest music one can wish to hear."