• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 3,259 Views, 54 Comments

The Heart of Shadows - TheSilentAuthor



A young prince of the crystal empire saves a strange creature and soon becomes attached to it

  • ...
4
 54
 3,259

Something Different

Morning had come, the knocking on his chamber door awaked Sombra. He stumbled out of bed and opened the wooden door.

“Yes?” he asked rubbing his eyes.

“Sorry to awake you sir but reports have been coming in that a Canterlot squadron of tropps was attacked by our boarders by a strange creature.” A mare said handing him the report.

“Hmm…they were attacked and proceeded...... forces of the crystal empire may have been responsible. Strange creature is intelligent survivor says name of said creature calls itself.....dis-cord.....Discord?” Sombra said out loud while reading the letter.

“Yes sir there were at least two battalions.” The mare said.

“Well you can send a letter to Dawnbreaker and tell him that if he thinks that I was somehow responsible that he’s got another thing coming. The nerve of that old fool thinking that I am going out to fight with a.......whats the name of the thing again?” Sombra asked.

“Um, its Discord, I believe sir. At least thats what the survivor says” She said.

“Right, if he thinks that I am going out to fight with this ‘Discord’, who apparently nopony knows a thing about. Then I would give away my royal title before risking a war with him” Sombra said clenching his teeth.

“Is that what you want me to send sir?” The mare asked.

Sombra sighed. “No tell him I that i had no hoof in this. Tell him…I don’t make something up.” Sombra said shutting the door.

He flung himself back on the bed hoping that he could get some sleep. His mind began dozing off but then he remembered.

“The changeling.” He said to himself while rising from his bed.

The halls rushed with servants going to and fro going about their daily chores and duties. Sombra reached the corridor where he would be fashioned to leave for a trip around the town.

“Keystone, Sarock, Pebs,” He called out.

The servants appeared and began dressing him in a royal outfit made for showing off oneself.

“Pebs have my opened top carriage ready by the time I am finished here.” Sombra said looking into a mirror.

“Right away sir.” The pony said while dashing off.

“Key have the cooks prepare a massive breakfast buffet, I want ever single little breakfast item that they can think of to be ready to serve at nine o’clock.” He said.

“It will be done sir.” The servant said trotting off.

“Sar.” The mare looked up ready for her orders. “Do you think this purple cape looks to bright compared to my mane and coat?”

“No sir it matches your natural white coat quite nicely and black mane makes the whole thing stand out.” She said.

“Thank you, can you hand me that box over there.” Sombra asked.

“My lord that’s not meant for Colts, it was part of your mother’s collection.” She said.

Sombra laughed. “Oh I know but I still want to have it on me.” He said.

“Yes my lord.” She said going to the box and handing it to him.

Sombra pulled out a long silver coated necklace incrusted with jewels all around it.

“It’s magnificent isn’t it?” He asked.

“Yes sir it’s quite the piece.” The mare said.

“Right, off I go now, alert the staff that they should be gathered in the great hall around nine forty to welcome our guest.” Sombra said walking towards the doors to his palace.

The morning was still in its early stages. Sombra waited for his carriage to arrive as he watch the sun began to rise. Soon the bright red carriage came and soon he was loaded on and off on his way. Everypony in the city bowed before him as he passed by. Sombra just waived and smiled at them like he always did. He thought to himself that it must be strange for them to see him act so normally. Nothing at all like the snobs who lived in Canterlot. The private hospital came into view in a matter a time. Stopping directly at the door Sombra stepped off his carriage and entered. The two guards where still standing there almost falling asleep.

“Attention!” Sombra ordered.

Both colts jolted awaked saluting their king.

“At ease, good sirs you are relieved from duty today. Take these coins and give them to my secretary Becky. She will know what to do with them. Now dismissed.” He said.

The colts saluted one last time and headed out the door.

Sombra slowly stepped into the room to see the doctor sitting by the bed explaining the brace to the changeling.

“How are we today?” Sombra asked.

The changeling smiled. “I feel a lot better, look I can move my hoof in any direction.” She said rotating it.

“Easy now don’t be doing to much of that it has to heal.” Winhelm said lowering her hoof back down.

“Is she ready to walk?” Sombra asked.

“Well my dear do you think you’re up to it?” Winhelm asked standing up removing the chair from the side of the bed to give her space.

The changeling sat up scooting herself toward the edge of the bed setting her two hind hooves to the ground. She then slowly lowered he body placing the one good hoof down first and them placing the braced one down second. She stumbled a little at first but then she began walking around the room.

“See I told you the brace would work.” Winhelm said to her.

“Oh thank you so much sir.” She said rushing to him and embracing him in a hug.

“It wasn’t any trouble at all.” The doctor laughed. “Now remember what I said, the brace stays on for two months okay.”

“Two months?” Sombra asked.

“Yes the wound in her hoof will take time to heal unlike the others which have been there for a while. Well my dear do promise to come visit me sometime during your stay.” The doctor said exiting out of the room.” Good by my king.”

The doctor then spoke a word that wasn’t recognized by the changeling. Sombra responded with the same sound.

“I will, so can we go now?” The changeling asked.

“Yes we can but first lets get that coat on you.” Sombra said pulling the bag towards him and holding up the white coat.

“Um what does it do?” The changeling asked

“It to keep you warm, now spread you upper hoof with the brace out as if your telling somepony where to go.” Sombra said while stepping behind her.

She did as she was told. Sombra slowly slipped the sleeve hole around the hoof with the brace making sure not to hurt her. Once he had the one side on he told her to lower he hoof so that he could do the other one. Sombra stepped back to see how it looked. It had a long end that flowed like a cape covering her wings. The coat seemed to fit but it could have been a little too big for her.

“You like it?” Sombra asked.

“Its wonderful I never seen something so grand before.” She said spinning around in it.

“Well it’s all yours now.” Sombra said.

The changeling’s eyes grew wide. “You mean that this belongs to me now?” She asked.

“Yes, now before we leave there is one more thing I want to give you. Close your eyes.” Sombra said.

She did so. He quickly went around her pulling the necklace out of his pocket. He latched both pieces together and stepped back in front of her.

“Okay open them.” He said.

She opened her eyes and looked down. Her mouth hung open when she saw the necklace. “This….this is beautiful.” She said with her eyes tearing up.

“I am glad you like, now shall we get some breakfast?” He asked holding out his hoof to escort her.

“You mean like actually food right?” She asked.

“Yes actually food in its finest form.” Sombra laughed.

He led her to the door, holding it open for her. The wind rushed blowing her greenish mane into a mess, covering her face. She quickly brushed it to the side and giggled as she began her descent down the stairs. Sombra followed and helped her up into the carriage. He took the seat beside her and ordered for it to move. They began making their way back to the palace going through the center of town. Everypony in town stopped and stared as the two past by.

“They’re all looking at me.” She whispered to Sombra.

“Well many of them have never seen a pony like you.” He said.

She lowered her head down. “I don’t think I like this.” She said.

“Just wave and smile.” He said raising his hoof to wave at the ponies.

The changeling notice how each pony waved and smiled back at his gesture. She decided to do the same hoping to get the same reaction. Rasping her hoof she waved it in the air, she got no response except stares of confusion. She quickly snapped her hoof back down to her lap the she began hanging her head. With a quick burst of magic she transformed into a light blue coated mare with a yellow mane.

"Hey now whats all that about?" Sombra asked.

"I dont like them staring at me." She whispered.

"Who cares what they think just be yourself." Sombra said in an encouraging voice.

Hesitantly she went back into her natural form. She was about to ask something but something else caught her eyes.

“What is that?” She asked pointing at tents being set up.

“Oh that, well you see its tradition that every year all the crystal ponies come together and celebrate our heritage. It’s kind of like a time to celebrate who we are.” Sombra explained.

“You mean like a fair?” She asked.

“Eh sure.” Sombra said shrugging.

“What do you do at this um….” She started.

“You can call it a fair if you want.” He smiled.

“So what does everypony do at the fair?” She asked.

“Well there are all sorts of things to do. There’s dancing, jousting, and all sorts of foods from different parts of the empire.” He said looking off.

“Um when is it?” She asked looking at him.

“I don't know actually, I feel like there is a fair every week, soon ponies will be coming in from all around.” He said.

She looked off towards the colorful tents and banners being raised. She couldn’t take her eyes off of them. Then she remembered what she was going to ask him.

“Um Sombra, what was that sound the doctor made as he left the room, the one that you made back at him.” She asked.

“That? Well along time ago before the empire was formed each tribe had a separate language. The particular word you heard was ‘farewell’. It’s a sign of honor to the old ways.” He said.

“Oh so its and old language I get it.” She said. “Can you speak it fully?” she asked.

“Good heavens no, It would take years to master that. The only thing I know how to say is ‘hello’, ‘farewell’ and a few other phrases.” Sombra laughed.

She looked down at her hooves trying to think of something to ask him.

“How would you say ‘beautiful’ in that language?” She asked.

Sombra looked at the sky trying to think of the word. “I believe it’s pronounced chry-sa-lis.”

“chry-sa-lis, I like it.” She said.

“Now don’t be asking me to translate a bunch of words now.” He chuckled.

“Oh I wont, how much longer do we have till we get there?” She asked looking behind her.

“Why don’t you look forward and find out.” He said.

Her head turned and before her lied the crystal palace. The palace stood high and mighty reflecting the sun in a fantastic glow. She had never seen such a thing. Her mouth hung open as they pulled up to the courtyard.

“We’re here.” Sombra said as the carriage came to a stop.

He hopped of the carriage leaping over the door landing on the ground. The crowd of servants rushed in response hopping the prince wasn’t hurt. He waived them off in which they responded with the tradition bow. Sombra opened the door and held out his hoof to the changeling.

“Well aren’t you going to come inside or just stare at it all day?” He smiled.

She looked all around, she couldn’t believe the size of it or it’s beauty. It was almost like something in a dream. She slowly got off the carriage and was helped down to the ground. Sombra was about to lead her inside but she galloped up to the wall staring at it. The wall reflected the sun, almost blinding her. She began running her hoof up against as if making sure that it was real.

“Beautiful isn’t it?” Sombra said from behind.

“I have never seen such a thing in my entire life.” She said turning to him.

“Well shall we go inside?” He asked.

The pair began walking towards the great doors, which opened with a great roar. The changeling looked around and began to notice something. Everywhere ponies stared at her most in confusion of her presence others looking down at her in a negative way. Sombra also notice this as well and quickly gave a look of his own to all of them. Once Sombra’s eyes fell upon them each changed their glances immediately, hoping that they didn’t anger him. The great halls came as a wonder to the changeling. The pictures on the walls, the smells, and even the structure itself gave her a sense of newfound hope like she was sure she was safe from the world. They came to a hall with a big circular table covered with all sorts of plates. Sombra lead her to a chair cladded with iron and pulled it out. He lowered his hoof offering her to take the chair. She looked all around as if he was asking somepony else but soon realized that it was meant for her. The changeling slowly took the seat and upon her sitting a pony wrapped a white cloth around her neck.

Sombra took the seat slightly diagonal towards her. “We are ready.” He said clapping his hooves.

The changeling turned her head to see ponies bring dozens of trays, bowls, platters, plates, cups, and all sorts of devices used to carry food. The arrangements were placed down upon the table each revealing a different kind of food. Sombra took a plate and began scooping and picking food from different plates before he had all that he wanted. He began eating and asked if he could have something to drink. The changeling just stared at the festival of food not making a move.

“Is something the matter?” Sombra asked looking at her.

“I am sorry but am I allowed to eat one.” She said gesturing towards a basket of rolls.

“My dear you can have anything you want that’s on this table.” Sombra said before biting into an omelet.

She reached out, looking at the servants as she did, and snatched a roll and began nibbling on it. Once the roll was devoured she sat for a second trying to muster up the courage to speak.

“Can..I get…something to drink?” She awkwardly asked.

Sombra clapped his hooves together and instantly a cup of milk appeared before her. Once again she looked around before taking a sip of the icy cold liquid.

“When was the last time you had something to eat?” Sombra asked looking at her.

“Um….four and a half days.” She said.

The room exploded with gasps and whispers of terror sending her into a state of panic.

“I had water if that makes it better.” She said looking around.

Sombra stared at her with horror in his eyes. “Marki, Nic.” He ordered.

The two ponies fixed a plate putting on all sorts of foods on it. The stallion set the plate before the changeling.

“Go on eat.” Sombra said.

The changeling looked down at the plate not knowing what was really on it. She picked up a small circular cake looking thing and began nibbling on it. The taste erupted in her mouth; it was sweet and warm giving her a feeling of glee as she chewed. With that she devoured the entire thing and then began to dig in on what was left. Her mind rushed as she bit into all sorts of foods, she wanted to try everything.

“Would you like some more milk Mrs.…?” A servant began asking her.

Sombra was about interrupted but she spoke up instead.

“Chrysalis.” She said. “My name is Chrysalis.”

“Would you like some more milk miss Chrysalis?” the servant asked holding a jug up.

“Yes please.” She said pushing the cup over to him so that he could pour into it.

“Chrysalis eh?” Sombra asked.

“I just like the way it sounds, thank you very much sir.” She said to the stallion.

Soon she had consumed everything on her plate pushing it forward to signify that she was done. Sombra also pushed his plate away ordering the servants to clean up the table. He rose from his chair and walked over to her.

“Well 'Chrysalis' you said you wanted to see the town are you ready to go?” He asked insantly forgetting about his servants being told to gather in the hall. "Nic, tell the staff upstairs to dismiss." He said.

She wiped he mouth with the napkin. “The town? That can wait I want to see this entire place first.” She said stretching her hooves out.

“Okay then so you want a tour of the palace well lets get started.” He said.

The pair walked through the great halls as Sombra pointed at every little thing and explaining it to her. He led her to the throne room, which was filled, with many ponies busy at work holding letters and talking with others about the kingdom. Her eyes fell upon the great crystal throne that sat at the end of the room.

“Sir, reports have been coming in all morning. It seems this 'Discord' is cutting through the Balgrin marsh and attacking Canterlot trade caravans to the south.” A brown-coated mare said running up to him with a paper. “Oh hello ma’am” She said to Chrysalis.

Chrysalis smiled back. “Hello.” She said softly.

“Right, sir this thing is dangerously close to the village of Hopkinsville. Mayor Yagmare has request troops support in chase of an attack.” She said handing him the letter.

“Excuse me Chrysalis.” Sombra said grabbing the letter and walking around the room. “Get me general Tung in here now!”
Chrysalis looked around the room; once again everypony stared at her with negative looks.

“Is there something wrong with me?” She asked herself.

She looked over to see Sombra talking to a greyish pony covered in armor about something, he was not happy at all. Not wanting to be in anypony’s way she made herself toward the throne sitting by its side. Holding her hoof up see looked at the holes that imbedded through her hoof. Was this the reason why everypony was staring at her? Her eyes caught something from another room whatever it was it was shining. Looking at Sombra who was still talking to the pony she slowly made her way to a small-secluded room. It was a cramp room with all sorts of bottles and potions that she could only think of was a makeup room. Her eyes were drawn to a huge sheet of glass that was placed against the wall. Her heart started to beat harder as her mind told her to go up to it. Hestiantly, she began making her way towards it until she was right up against is. The image before her puzzled her greatly; she couldn’t tell what she was looking at was a pony or some other creature entirely. It had a horn like a unicorn but it was all jagged and misshapen. The coat was jet black with several marks protruding from all over. Both the eyes and mane shared a shade of green with mane having more blue mixed into it.

“Hel-.” Chrysalis jumped back as the creature she was looking at mimicked her action

What was this she wondered? Her curiosity got the best of her as she approached the glassy sheet again. The creature came back into view, mimicking her actions entirely. She waived her hoof and the creature did also. No matter what she did the creature did the same thing. A thought entered her mind, a horrible dark thought. She raised her hoof to feel her horn; it was jagged and curved in many places. Heart raced as she slowly stared at the creature before her. Stepping forward the creature that she was looking had something around its neck. Chrysalis looked closely and to her shock the item matched the necklace around her neck. The sad revelation then came to her almost hitting her in the face. What see was looking at was a reflection of herself. Chrysalis never had seen a clear version of herself, she always new she was different but not like this. A tear started to from in her left eye and soon many more started to stream down her cheeks. She fell to the ground and began to weep.

“And another thing I want my forces to be ready to take on anything. I don’t want to take any chances with this….what is that noise.” Sombra said looking around.

The servants began also looking around with confusion on their faces.

“What noise.” General Tung asked.

Sombra’s ears moved as the noise came back into contact with them. “That noise.” He said walking towards the small room on the side.

Opening the door he saw Chrysalis sitting on ground holding her hooves up to her face.

“Hey what’s wrong?” Sombra said kneeling down beside her. She pointed up at the sheet of glass. ”The mirror?” He asked.

“I saw myself!” she cried.

“So? What wrong with seeing yourself?” He asked.

“I am……I am ugly.” She sniffled.

“Hey now that’s not true at all.” He said.

“Yes it is look at me.” She said looking up at him. “They all stare at me whenever I walk by, I am a freak to them and to everything else that has eyes.”

Sombra’s felt a lump of sadness beginning to form in his throat. Chrysalis eye’s were filled with tears and slowly becoming red from irritation.

“Everypony leave us!” Sombra ordered to the crowd that had gathered at the door and soon they were alone. “Chrysalis, look into the mirror.” He said.

She looked at him with terror in her eyes but soon she turned back to the great mirror.

“Now tell me what do you see?” He asked.

Chrysalis saw both her and Sombra in the reflection; one was a unicorn prince and the other a creature from a foreign land. Her heart sank deeper into her chest causing her to bite her lip to keep her from crying.

“I tell you what I see. I see a pony that has been through hell, a pony that has been mistreated all her life, a pony that no matter what fought through it all. I see a survivor, nah a warrior who has seen the darkest of life and still manage to pull through it. Now this pony has been getting stared at ever since she was small for other pony’s amusement. So to tell me that these ponies have the right to judge things like beauty or glory is down right upsurd. What have they got to show for their right to judge? Nothing they will never have the right to judge. Beauty is measured by the strength and passion that comes from the inside. If that’s the case then you are one of the most beautiful creatures to ever walk the earth.” He said pulling her up.

She looked at the mirror again and began to smile a little.

“Now tell me what do you see?” Sombra asked.

“I see me.” She smiled.

“Good that’s how it should be, we can’t worry about how other ponies see us. All that matters is how we view ourselves. So do you think you’re a freak or ugly?” He asked.

“No.” she said.

“That’s the spirit now before we continue that tour you wanted I need a quick word with my staff. Can you stay here for a second?” He asked. She nodded her head telling him that she would. “Good.” He said heading to the door. “Oh and Chrysalis do me one more favor please cover your ears until I get back please.” He said as he shut the door behind him.

The servants huddled closely to the door forming an almost wall surrounding the entranceway. Sombra stood in silence staring at them his blood started boiling.

“Let me be clear, yesterday I clearly stated that I wanted our guess to feel welcome. What have done with that welcome? Hmh? I tell you what you did with it you rubbed your noses to it. You all couldn’t help yourselves to give in to the natural urge to pass judgment upon something. Well let it be know if I ever hear a tiny remark about Chrysalis while she is here I promise you that it will be very unpleasant what befalls upon if your are the one making these judgments. I am clear?” He shouted.

“Yes sir!” everypony responded.

“Are you now? Crills what do you think about Chrysalis?” he asked the green pony.

“Well um I think she um has a nice mane.” She said nervously.

“Oh really you don’t think that the holes in her hooves are weird or disturbing?” He asked her stepping forward.

“No sir I barely noticed them.” She replied.

“Good tonight you shall treat my Chrysalis to a pedicure if that all right with you.” Sombra stated.

The green pony couldn’t control her response. “Please no.” She said but quickly put her hoof up to her mouth.

“Excuse me!” Sombra fired back.

“Sir please don’t make me touch…it's feet.” She said sheepishly.

“It? IT! That pony that you call ‘it’ is twenty times the pony that you will ever be. If I tell you to clean out her ears and mouth you better do it understood?” Sombra shouted at her. “Now get out of my sight your relieved from duty this week.” He said walking away. “Any other suggestion you ponies would like to add? No, good. Now I want the carriage to be ready in no less than an hour and for Tung to be ready to leave with seven squadrons of troops ready to deploy by lunch time is that understood?” He asked.

“Yes sir!” they all responded.

“Your all dismissed.” Sombra said returning to the door and opening it.

Chrysalis sat on the little chair with her hooves up to her eyes humming a marry tune to herself. Sombra tapped her on the shoulder. He calmed himself down and was soon able to reagin his smooth tone.

“Ready for the rest of the tour?” He asked.

Sombra lead her throughout the rest of the palace going through the kitchens and other halls. They traveled to the top and back down to the libraries filled with all the history of the empire. Finally they stopped on one floor in front of a large wooden door.

“And now this is where you will be staying.” Sombra said opening the door up.

Chrysalis stood in silence before crossing the doorframe and into the room. Everything around her was so magnificent and splendid.

“Oh my is that a bed?” She asked.

“Yes it’s all yours for as long as you stay here.” Sombra said.

“I don’t have to share it with anypony do I?” She asked almost concerned.

“No it all yours nopony but you can sleep in it.” Sombra chuckled.

Like a small filly she raced and jumped onto the bed bouncing herself up to a certain height before falling back down onto the large mattress. She laughed out loud for the first time since she and Sombra had meet.

“This wonderful I never had a bed much less a pillow to rest my head on in my entire life and yet within a few days you openly allow me to have such a privilege.” She said jumping up. Chrysalis ran and embraced Sombra in a hug. “Thank you.” She said.

Sombra smiled. “The pleasure is all mine, so how about we take a trip around town huh, what do you say?” He asked.

Chrysalis jumped back and agreed with his statement. Soon they were back down stairs and loaded into the carriage and began riding around the town.

The rest of the day was spent by marveling the sights and places in the great capital city. Everywhere they went Chrysalis asked questions about all that she laid eyes on. Sombra didn’t mind it but he was growing tired as the day dragged on. Soon night fell upon the land in which supper was served shortly to the pair. Chrysalis couldn’t believe all she had experienced that day, she wanted to see more. Even after protesting that she wasn’t tired she too began to fall asleep. Sombra had his servants escort her to her room as he made his way towards his.

Lying down in his bed Sombra could help but laugh to himself. Chrysalis was a fascinating to him. All her thoughts and questions she asked him, it was like teaching a new born how to speak. Rolling over to his side he closed his eyes and began to sleep.