• Published 3rd Apr 2013
  • 3,264 Views, 54 Comments

The Heart of Shadows - TheSilentAuthor



A young prince of the crystal empire saves a strange creature and soon becomes attached to it

  • ...
4
 54
 3,264

A Simple Dance

The next couple of days played out just like the first. Sombra would rise from his bed and go down stairs to have breakfast. Every morning Chrysalis would be waiting at the table for him eagerly eating her food so that she could go exploring. He taught her everything he knew about the history of the crystal ponies, who they were and where they came from. This struck Sombra with great pride, he felt a sense of accomplishment as he was introducing some pony to an almost new world. Sombra thought how everypony around him including himself really took their history for granted sometimes. His father always told him that if one were to become a proper crystal pony, one should look to the history of the empire to better present oneself. So he deiced to make Chrysalis the best crystal pony that he could make. With time Chrysalis soon became a book smart pony almost knowing all the historical facts about the empire and it’s race. Many of the regular guests of the crystal palace were stunned to here such knowledge coming from a changeling of all things. The days rolled by and soon it had been over a week and a half since the changeling had arrived and the celebration of the crystal ponies was soon at hand.

“Well sir everything is set for the evening, the only thing left to finish is the food and unfortunaly still no word from your brother.” The mare said.

“Oh thats a shame isn't it?" He said with sarcasm. "Has the dance group found a new mare lead yet though?” Sombra asked.

“No sir they haven’t but that hasn’t slowed them down. Sir Martin has taken the reigns and has reorganized it so that there really isn’t a mare lead this time.” She said.

Sombra leaned his head on his hoof as he readjusted his position on the throne. “Reorganized it eh? I don’t ever remember a time when the summer dance never had two leads.” He sighed.

“Well sir that’s what I was going to tell you.” The mare said.

“Excuse me?” Sombra said.

“It just that well we are thinking about cutting the stallion lead out as well.” She said.

Sombra was stunned "But thats imposible there has to be..."

"I am sorry sir but thats what Martin has told me. With both Sigarda and Bruna being unable to preform there is nopony who could know the dance in time for the ceremony." The mare said.

“Look I don’t care…” Sombra stop as he started to raise his voice. “Look the dance is suppose to symbolized unity throughout the empire we cant just not have any leads. Thats what the whole purpose of it. The heads of the royal family are support to be in it .” Sombra said while rubbing the back of his mane.

“Well sir i believe this year has to be one of those one time things and also.....” The mare stopped talking when she saw the look on Sombra’s face. It wasn’t a look of anger but a look of sadness as if he was just told devastating news.

"I dont want to let everypony down but tell Martin to continue with his way." Sombra sighed.

“Alright sir I shall alert Martin to keep the dance going as is. I am sorry if I intruded on anything.” She said.

“No it’s quite alright, you are dismissed.” Sombra said looking down to the ground.

The mare galloped out the room as fast as she could leaving Sombra by himself.

He sat in silence for a moment before rushing up and walked over to a giant mirror that hung at the end of the throne room. Sombra stared at his reflection; everypony told him that he was a spitting image of his mother. He wished he knew her a little more than the tiny memories he had as a young pony.

Sombra moved his hoof, kicking the ground as if he was trying to stir up dirt. “Pull yourself together Sombra so who cares if there isn't any leads this year it will be all right..” He said to himself. The words felt very bitter as they escaped his mouth. ”Even if I told them to keep me in nopony knows the first steps of the summer ballad apart from the two that are now decommissioned. Certainly it can’t be that hard but who on earth has the time to learn it in such short time.”

He thought. A great knock on the door interrupted his train of thought. “Enter.” He ordered. The door opened and Chrysalis came trotting in with a new brace wrapped around her hoof.

“Ah Chrysalis what did Winhelm have to say about your hoof.” He said returning to his throne.

“Oh it’s healing a lot quicker than he had expected. He said I can take off the brace as early in five weeks.” She said taking a seat at one of the chairs up against the wall.

“That’s great, so you excited about the festival tonight?” He asked.

“I sure am I can’t wait, while I was passing by I caught a glimpse of the completed stage. Oh how it shined in the sun it made it look so unearthly. I can’t wait to see how it shines when the moon reflects off of it.” She said.

“Well I am glad your excited for it, heavens knows that its going to be a stressful night.” Sombra said with a smile.

“So when does it start again?” She asked.

“Ha I swear you asked me that over a dozen times alone today it will start when the sun goes down. Which by judging by it now I would say a good five hours.” He said.

“Ah oh well, it’s going to be splendid.” She said.

Sombra sat for a moment until an idea began creeping in his head. The thought grew and grew until it was all he could think about. “Well it couldn’t hurt to ask.” He thought to himself.

“Chrysalis?” He asked.

“Yeah.” She responded.

“Do you anything about the summer ballad dance?” He asked.

“Why its one of key parts of the festival, it symbolizes the union between the tribes, commoners, and rulers. It also shows all the history of the empire in one grand parade.” She smiled.

“Yes well do you know how it is actually preformed like do you know the steps?” He asked.

“I don’t really know all of it just bits and pieces of it." She said looking at him. “Why?”

Sombra clenched his teeth together before he could utter the words. “Could…you…possible…walk through it with me them?” He said.

Chrysalis face went into complete shock.” What?”

Sombra let out a sigh. “It’s tradition that the leaders of the crystal ponies be the leads in the dance. Ever since I could remember the leads where my father and mother but as you know things have kind of change. Both the mare lead and her back up have suffered a strange sickness and can't preform. Deep down I know that its probably the wisest to leave it well enough alone but I don't to let down everypony. So what I am asking you is that....maybe you would like be the lead? You know what I mean?” he asked.

Chrysalis sat looking at him with a wide eyed expression on her face. It was the expression of disbelief.

Chrysalis smiled hesitantly. “I understand Sombra thats a lot to ask." She said taking a deep breath. "So shall we start.” She said rising for her chair.

Sombra looked with his eyes across the room. “You sure you ready for this?” he asked.

“Yes, now we only got five hours to get this down now come on.” She said pulling him off his throne.
She led him to the very end of the room right up against the door.

“Now are you ready for the first part?” He asked.

“Yep, you?” she asked..

“Yes, all right firstly the whole first part of the dance is nothing but the secondary groups doing their routine. Once the fire twirlers come out to symbolize the warring old tribes that’s were I will come in. After that first four acts you will come in. Now repeat ever thing I do.” He said casually Sombra moved forward and stepped back, jolting his body back and forth. “You keep the rhythm as you do this. One and two and one and two and slowly you move forward very slowly now you try.”

Chrysalis started to repeat the process. He felt happy. ”This might not be so hard after all.” He thought to himself.

Once he was done going through the entrance of the first master tribe leader the dance soon took a complicated turn. There where so many steps that it was hard keeping track of. Sombra kept trying to keep his frustration under control but he was becoming annoyed at how many times he was having to repeat a simple sequence to her. Despite these set backs Chrysalis kept herself trying it over and over again. Once she was done with one set he would make her restart from the very top and then added the next phase.

“Great that was almost perfect that time.” Sombra said while clapping his hooves together.

“Yeah? Well I guess I can do this huh?” Chrysalis said with a short breath.

“Now are you ready for the secondary lead role to come back in?” He asked.

Chrysalis looked up. “Yeah lets do this.” He said.

“Well lets walk through it now.” He said moving in front of her. “Now once the fire goes out the torches with glow blue and that's when the second lead, you will come in. you will take the stance opposite of me. Okay so the whole second tribe alliance sequence is just a standard ballroom waltz. You do know how to waltz right?” He asked.

“What a waltz?” Chrysalis responded.

Sombra laughed. “Okay its not that hard, first the pair stand on their two hind hooves and you use your right hoof and place it on my shoulder and it stays there. I will do the same with my left hoof but above you hip instead, and then the two use their other hooves and extend them out grasping each other. You ready?” He asked.

Chrysalis gulped. “Sure.”

She stood on his two hind hooves while Sombra did the same. He wrapped his hoof and rested it above her hip just like he told her.

“Good, now ready?” He said as he began leading her through the steps.

Chrysalis felt like she was doing terrible but Sombra kept her from stopping.

“You’re doing fine stop worrying about how your doing it and just do it. Free your mind and just go with the flow.” He said.

Chrysalis let go off all that was around her and soon she was starting to get all the steps right with almost no effort at all.

“See you can do this.” Sombra laughed.

Chrysalis watched her hooves. “I guess I need to stop doubting myself.” She smiled back.

“All right after the waltz is done then the presenter will come out with the crystal heart again.” Sombra said standing backwards letting go of her. “You will walk forward and grab it. Then you will hand it to me."

"Then you present it right?" She asked.

“Gotcha. Once I have I present to the kingdom everypony claps and then it all ends with the fireworks.” Sombra said.

“Right, now you think we can do it all?” She asked.

Sombra felt his chest swell with pride. “I don’t know, I am sure we can will you please be a dear and go and tell Martin that I have changed my mind and to prepare the dance as it should be.” Sombra said trotting towards the window.

“Of course I will.” Chrysalis said as she raced for the door. She opened it and closed it before turning around and reentering the room. “Um Sombra what if he still doesn't agree with this sudden change.” She said.

“Hmh? Oh um…” Sombra said gazing out the window but then the thought entered his mind that caused him to smile. He looked at Chyrsalis who was eagerly waiting his word. “Tell him that I have found a mare who is the best dance in all the crystal empire."

Chrysalis blushed. "Yes sir." She smiled.

“If he tries to protest this tell him that it is the decree of the prince. Now go now we got a lot to do in three hours.” He said.

Chrysalis rushed down the stairs almost slamming the door close behind her. Sombra returned to his throne and took in a deep breath as he sunk into the chair.

“Dancing lessons, me, ha.” He chuckled to himself.


As the sun began to set word had spread about how Sombra gave the lead to Chrysalis. Many were outraged at this, but as word spread about how Sombra himself was participating again their anger quickly washed away. The night sky was lit with roaring torches and loud music. Everypony in the empire was there, singing dancing, and generally having the time of their lives. Chrysalis was almost blown away with the whole thing. This was nothing like she never had seen before. She thought she would have been more prepared for this since she traveled to a lot of parties. Maybe the reason for her excitement was that this was the first festival that she was a part of and not the forced to preform for ponies. All throughout the night she enjoyed everything that there was to offer. She didn’t care too much for the jousting tournament but everypony else was so she watched as if she had interest in it. Then came time for the parade of history and the summer ballad. Chrysalis had been rushed to a tent so that she could prepare for the dance. All that the books she read about the outfits never fully detailed how they looked until Chrysalis saw them. The long feathers and war paint almost made her look like a real barbarian. Once she was ready she was lead to a small tent with the opening slightly patched open.

“Well hello there.” A voice whispered from behind.

She turned around and gazed before her. The colt that was standing in front of her wore a great feathery headpiece almost looking like a lion’s mane. She really couldn’t tell who it was until she looked long and hard.

“Sombra?” She asked.

“Yep couldn’t really tell could you?” He laughed.

“I really couldn’t, so you ready for this?” She asked.

“Ha those ponies wont know what hit them.” He laughed. “I swear I haven’t been looking forward to something like this since…goodness I don’t ever remember being excited for something like this.”

“Well I am glad you’re excited, I am nervous as all.” She said.

“Ah don’t worry you will do fine.” He said. The drums echoed letting the ponies know that it was almost time for the dance to start. “Its show time.” He said reaching his hoof at to her.

Chrysalis grabbed and was escorted to a small gathering of ponies all dressed in costumes. Some wearing tribal outfits with masks while other wore more modern day attire.

“All right is everypony ready to go?” Martin asked.

Most responded with agreement to his questions while the rest just nodded.

“Okay so Sombra once you enter with the third group you will be given a staff and your going to use that instead of the torch with fire.” Martin said.

“Okay.” Sombra said rolling his eyes at the safety precaution.

“Chrysalis the ‘Crystal heart’ that we made is fragile so be really careful when you pick it up.” He said pointing at her. “You ready for this?”

“Yes sir.” She said.

“Disgusting changeling.” A voice said.

Sombra whirled around to face the crowd, his eyes burning with rage. “Who said that?” He asked angrily.

A stallion made his way up to the front and got right up to Sombra’s face. “I did and you heard correctly I don’t think a changeling should have the honor of the lead. Much less a spot in the parade at all.” He said shaking his hoof at Chrysalis.

Chrysalis lowered her head a little bit, the words did hurt her feelings.

Sombra stared at the stallion and quickly raised his hoof striking him to the ground. The crowd gasped and took a couple of steps back. The stallion tried to stand up but fell to the ground, his nose gushed with blood.

“Now apologize to her.” Sombra said.

The stallion looked up at Chrysalis and spat blood towards her direction. Sombra drove his hoof into the side of fallen pony.

“Get him out of my sight.” He ordered to nearby guards. “Anypony else want to say something?” He asked.
All shook their heads.

“Good now are we all ready to preform?” He asked returning to his normal state as if nothing had just happen.

“All right everypony to your places we are starting in ten minuets.” Martin said looking at the clock on the tent wall.
The ponies rushed to various places while Sombra went over to Chrysalis.

“I am terrible sorry that he spoke about you like that. I hope it doesn’t bother to greatly.” He said in a low voice.

“No its fine.” She said.

“Well I don’t think it is that kind of stuff bothers me why do ponies have such ignorance within them?” Sombra asked.

Chrysalis sighed. “Sometimes I ask the same thing but hey forget about that we got a dance to preform.” She said perking herself back up.

“Right.” Sombra said smiling at her.

The music started and the torches were waved to signal the first part of the parade to start. Dancers rushed out to the opening to preform the first great tribe war. Sombra took his spot at the front of a group of dancer and soon it was their turn to step out and preform. Chrysalis watched as Sombra and othesr danced, he was doing everything perfect. The reaction to him sent the crowd into a frenzy of screams of joy and clapping. Chrysalis could tell that Sombra was feeding off of their energy and was starting to add a little more things to the dance. Once the sequence ended everypony clapped and cheered as the second act was about to begin. Chrysalis rushed to another opening where she would enter during the fifth act. She couldn’t believe how much Sombra was improvising, he was still doing what the traditional dance required but it was almost a new dance on it’s own. The crowd saw this too but to her surprise they where loving this a lot more. Finally the time came for her to make her entrance. The music changed and began playing a softer piece of music. A mare slowly handed her a makeshift heart made out of rock.

“Be careful and whatever you do don’t drop it.” The mare said.

Chrysalis held the heart with her hoofs and was signaled to make her move. Bursting through the opening she held the heart high in the air for all to see. She thought she was going to be greeted with boo’s but she was instead showered with cheers. Her heart beat fast as she made her way down the ramp and feeling the ground beneath her hooves. Sombra stood at the center waiting for her to make her way towards him. She spun several times making sure she didn’t drop the heart. A colt ran up to her taking the heart as she got to the center. Sombra stood on his two hooves reaching out his upper ones so that they could start. Chrysalis took a deep breath before she too took the positions. Both stood there for a second until the music started to play. Slowly they began making their way around moving in unison with each other. Sombra felt that he was going to mess up but something deep down inside of him told him to look ahead. His eyes locked forward staring into Chrysalis’s own green ones. She did the same as they made their way around preforming the waltz almost unearthly. Sombra couldn’t tell what he was feeling, was this joy or awkwardness? He and Chrysalis didn’t miss a single step. Chrysalis also to felt a sudden jolt of curiosity setting into her mind but she didn’t let it sink in to deeply. The music stopped letting Sombra know that he needed to move on to the next part. Once he let go of Chrysalis he felt a chill roll up his spine. The colt gave the heart to Sombra so that he could make the speech of the old kings. He walked forward holding the heart close to him as he made his way to the front.

“Mares and Gentlecolts of the crystal empire. The crystal heart guides us and stands as the symbol of our undying love for one another. We look today at the history of our kind and rejoice in each other’s company. Forever burning in our hearts to remember the mistakes we have made in the past to insure a better tomorrow stand now and raise your hooves to the heavens and shout for today we live in the better tomorrow!” He shouted at the top of his lungs.

The assembly of well over ten thousand ponies lifted their voices up shaking the very ground around them. Sombra handed the heart to a servant and made his way back to the mass of dancers. He nodded his head to Martin who signaled for the fireworks to begin. The night sky was soon showered with explosives with colors so grand. Chrysalis stood by Sombra as the pair watched the colorful showcase. Once the show had ended both where changed into normal evening attire. The table they were chosen to sit at was laid out with cloths made from the finest silk. Chrysalis had been used to the palace food but there was so many things see had never tried before. As the food was laid out in front of them the other elite ponies began talking.

“Oh that was the most splendid summer ballad I have ever seen.” A pudgy mare sitting across the two of them spoke. Chrysalis wasn’t sure who she was except that she was a wife of a general. “Probably the best ballad ever.”

“Well it was no surprise after all the prince here has dancing in his blood.” General Zardock said with a mouth full of bread. “And you did excellent to Mrs. Chrysalis.” He added.

“Thank you.” Chrysalis said with a smile.

“Oh my yes excellent indeed I haven’t seen such grace in ages.” His wife said. “Where on earth did you learn to dance like that?”

“I really don’t know I just kind of did it.” Chrysalis said timidly.

“Well that is talent if I have ever seen it, what did you think of it Sombra?” She asked.

Sombra stared at his plate not touching his food.

“Um Sombra Mrs. Val just asked you something.” A servant whispered to him.

“Huh? What? Oh the dance, well I think the whole thing was perfect wouldn’t you agree Chrysalis?” Sombra smiled.

“Yes very good.” She said.

The meal went on with almost no real conversation going on. Everypony just sat and carried very light phrases towards each other. Chrysalis hated the silence and she was glad to hear a pony ask something.

“So Chrysalis I hear you’ve become quite the historian, you excited about seeing the dancing star tonight?” Sombra’s head historian asked.

“To tell the truth I don’t know what to feel its just so fascinating. Have you ever seen it Mr. Tidestar.” She asked.

“Once a long time ago when I was young, let me tell you if I had my old eyes I would be watching the sky all night.” He laughed.

The others chuckled along only stopping when the great bells of the palace began to ring.

“It’s time for the closing ceremonies lets go everypony.” A voice called.

The table soon was empty besides Sombra and Chrysalis. Sombra sat with his head resting on his hoof while the other played with the roll on his plate. Chrysalis wanted to say something but it was apparent that something was bothering him.

“Um Sombra are you wall right?” She asked.

“Hmh? Its nothing lets go.” He said with a tired smile.

The pair made their way down to the courtyard where the final closing ceremony was to be held. Both of them took seats as the speech was being made by a small philly who had received the honor. Chrysalis listen with great intentions but she couldn’t help but feel something was troubling Sombra. She kept looking at his as he sat with his head hung forward.

She placed her hoof on his shoulder. “Do you need to see a doctor?” She asked.

“It nothing its just that all of the sudden I feel weak like I just did a bunch of work and my body is worn out.” He said.

“Well it could be through all what has happen tonight and you’re just worn out.” She smiled.

“Yes that could be it but I think I am going to retire for the evening.” He said rising from his chair.

He called out his servant to prepare his bed.

“But you’re not going to watch the dancing star with me?” Chrysalis asked.

Sombra smiled. “Of course I will, just come by room and give a knock when you’re ready to go up on the roof.” He said. “Good night to you all I had a wonderful time.” Sombra stumble on his way up the stares causing everypony around him to stare.“I am all right just a little tired that’s all.” He said.

He never felt so relieved to fall into his bed. After a good solid hour he felt his body regain some strength.

“What in the world was that all about?” He wondered. “I haven’t felt like since the days of military training with father.”

The young prince tossed around in his bed he was annoyed at how he was so tied and now he was full of energy. It was as if something had drained him of life and all of the sudden it was being poured back into him. Maybe sleep would help he thought and besides the dancing star doesn’t come out till midnight so he had a good three hours. All the thoughts on his mind were memories of his youthful days. Everything in his life was being played before his mind. Sombra tried to think of other things but for some reason he couldn’t take his mind off of them. From his time in school to his training to be prince he sat in his bed and thought of everything. The thing that stroke him the most was how the memories felt. It was as if he was relieving them one at a time. Soon the memory of his saving Chrysalis played through his head except this time it seemed more intense than he had recalled. All this was suddenly brought to a halt as a knock came at his door forcing him to rise from his bed.

“Sombra it’s me Chrysalis you still going to watch the star right?” He voice called out from behind the door.

“Yeah give me one second.” Sombra said dressing himself in a night coat . He quickly threw on the coat and then reached for his crown. Before he put it on he caught a glimpse of himself in the mirror. He like the way he looked without his mane pulled back and forced up so he tossed the crown on his bed. He went over and opened the door.

“Ready when you are.” He said with a smile.

Instantly he felt that same feeling of tiredness come haunting back at the back of his mind. He pushed it as hard as he could out of his mind. Chrysalis stood there with a smile on her face.

“We’re feeling better now I see?” She asked.

“Yeah guess you were right I just needed a little rest that’s all.” He said.

“Good I am glad that you are feeling better, sorry if I disturbed you from sleep.” She said.

“No, you did nothing of the short now lets start heading to the roof, we don’t want to miss the star now do we?” He said.
Chrysalis and Sombra walked up the long and lengthy staircase leading up to the roof.

“Why do you have so many stairs in this palace? I know it’s a silly question but I was just thinking about it the other day.” She smiled.

“My father told me that the old ones use to say that to see if somepony is really loyal to their king put a bunch a stairs in’.” He chuckled.

Chrysalis just giggled at this.

The two finally came to a door that swung open to reveal the top of the palace. It was quite the site to see the entire empire in the dead of night. With the wind blowing beastly, Chrysalis was glad she had brought a coat.

“Now according to the size and angle of the pro-grogrenot thorium the star should be about….there.” He said pointing a tad bit to the east.

Chrysalis stared intently at the direction he was pointing in but nothing had accord. Chrysalis leaned against the edge of the balcony and waited for the great star to appear. For the first five minuets nothing happened, then came thirty minuets and still no star. Chrysalis now rested her head on the balcony almost falling asleep. Sombra was doing his best to stay awake also he felt this need to stay awake so that he could tell her when the star came. As the clock began to strike one o’clock something caught Sombra’s eyes. It was small at first coming in from about eastern direction a small light ball started to appear.

“Chrysalis wake up it’s here.” He said.

“What’s here?” She asked.

“The dancing star look.” He pointed.

Her head lifted up and soon the star was almost directly above them. It moved from right to left in the sky hence the name-dancing star. Chrysalis watch as the great ball of fire moved all over the place before resting over the empire.

“Any particular reason it just stops over there?” Chrysalis asked.

“Not really ponies for years have debated the issue but there really hasn’t been an answer.” He said. “Just another one of life’s greatest mysteries.”

The star stood still and began slowly rising up higher and higher into the blackened sky. It began spinning around and around almost making a halo.

“What is it doing now?” She asked.

“Not sure some say it’s the gravity that causes it to spin but even I am not sure about it." He said

" Well all I know is that its beautiful isn’t it?” She asked gazing at the star.

Sombra looked at her and smiled. “It is.”


The rain beat down against the tent making it almost impossible to sleep in it. The colt jumped out of it to find his camp almost flooded.

“Where in the bloody hell is Hawk at?” The ringleader asked.

“Not sure but if we don’t move soon the rain is going to cause are wagons to be stuck.” One of the colts said running up to him.

“Alright prepare to move we got two day till the gig in Manehattan and I don’t want anything else to go wrong this week.” He said.

“There isn’t a gig we got cancelled.” Hawk said coming from the shadows.

“What do you mean the gig is cancelled they are paying us to come.” The ringleader said.

“Not any more every since that mishap in Canterlot nopony wants to see the ‘every changing circus’ unless we have the changeling.” He said.

“That is where you are wrong gentlecolts.” A voice called out.

“Who goes there?” The ringleader called out.

“My name is Samuel and I am the personal butler to Prince Sombra ruler of the crystal empire.” Samuel said stepping out of the darkness.

“Oh really and what would the ruler of the crystal empire want with us?” The ringleader asked.

“He would like to hire your...fine troop for a show.” Sam said.

“Well tell him that the circus is closed and he can shove his crown right up his-“ the ringleader’s mouth was closed by something being wrapped around it.

The lighting revealed an aura of light magic being produced around his mouth

“Come now such language can't possibly be discussed between to colts of honor. Not that you are one I was just being polite. I am sorry but my orders are to bring you back and he said i could do it my way.” Samuel said flicking his head back sending the ringleader to the mud face first.

The rest of the circus colts jumped forward only to be tripped by another one of Sam’s spells.

“Gentle colts if you don’t mind tying these barbarians up please.” Sam said.

Seven colts came from the darkness and began to tie up and move the entire circus so that is could be ready to go.

The ringleader looked as all his carts passed him.

“Now lets take a trip.” Samuel said.