• Published 3rd Sep 2011
  • 5,612 Views, 93 Comments

The Story of Reik: The Communist Revolutionary: MLP - Reik



The story of Reik. A pony trying to spread Communism across Equestria.

  • ...
2
 93
 5,612

Chapter 22: The Vanguard Party

NEITHER PONY SPOKE, a brutal silence overtook the dark and empty corridor inside the pavilion. Despite the cool temperatures, Applejack could feel only the warming grip of malice, as she noticed the similar unfading look in the red Pegasus standing still before her; she concluded her opponent felt the same sense of raw anger.

Sighing deeply, the grey stallion Vladimir voiced his disapproval. “What are you, Fillies?” The silence was quick to encircle the trio once more yet Vladimir drove it back with another statement. “You hate each other, fine, but in case you didn't notice, the food stores are nearly empty, if this little project gets finished on schedule, no mouth will go unfed, however if you two cannot learn to tolerate each other, we will not survive the winter." The weight of the situation finally fell on Applejack, she hated to admit it, but the stallion was right. Most of the ponies in Ponyville didn't know, but the village was already on the brink of starvation, the last harvest before winter had been next to nothing and the isolation from the rest of Equestria meant they were on their own. Applejack wanted shout that it was their fault, not hers, that things where the way they were. She wanted to roar that if Reik had never come to Ponyville, if Iris had just left, Vladimir had just stayed in the guard, if George had just stayed a farmer, if everypony had just enjoyed where they already where, things would never have turned sour. It wouldn't be the middle of the night for the past three days, ponies wouldn't be scared to leave their homes, nothing bad would have happened. Yet voicing such a thought would be pointless, too much had happened, she couldn't change things overnight, Applejack sighed as she realized she would have to make do with what she was given.

Iris glanced at the orange pony, her expression softening slightly, and then looked to Vladimir. If she hopped to find some kind of compassion in his glare, there was none. He simply stared back at her with the same look of annoyed anger that had painted his features for the past few days. She shrunk under his gaze. With a last glance at both mares, the armored stallion turned around and moved to exit the pavilion, joints and buckles sounding off with each movement.

As the stallion left, a sickly silence enveloped the room once more. Across the floor of the pavilion, that was swept in darkness save for the stray candle or open window allowing light to sweep across the stone face, Applejack could hear the chatter of a mouse somewhere off in the shadowy darkness. Applejack, continued to observe the grey stallion as he exited the pavilion, wanting to avoid contact with the red Pegasus for as long as possible. It was with a quiet groan that she turned to Iris once Vladimir had disappeared completely. Iris had evidently been doing a similar thing, her vision turned towards the stars leading up to the council chamber. Applejack wondered to herself what red Pegasus had wanted with the black pony that could not have been shared during the meeting. It was only after a forced cough from the orange pony that caused Iris to snap her head towards Applejack. There was a brief period of several seconds before Iris spoke. "I need your cooperation in this comrade." Applejack responded quickly, trying to make her tone less belligerent. "Ya gonna need to be a tad more specific partner." Iris groaned verbally. "Stop under mining me, be friendly, don't argue every five seconds-" Applejack quickly cut in. "Wouldn't need to argue if you wasn't provoken me at every turn." The red mare gave a sarcastic inquisitive look. "Case in point, now how exactly am I provoking you at every turn them?" Applejack, feeling her face grow warm from the stress and anger, responded immediately. "How about parkin yer goons on my property?" Iris physically flinched at this and spoke in a calm tone that obviously tried to hide an enraged one. "Do I need to explain the basics of socialism again or are you just trying to make me pop a blood vessel?"

Applejack felt a cruel sense of satisfaction to cause this annoying mare discomfort, however she remembered their predicament. Ponyville could no longer afford their squabbling. Her tone changing to one of reconciliation, Applejack spoke slowly, searching for words as she went. "Never mind, sorry, I agree this has to stop, what do ya need me to do specifically partner." Iris rose on eyebrow at the orange ponies sudden change in attitude, yet responded in kind. "At least act like you want to help, the other ponies respect you, a lot, and if they see you actually helping instead of resisting, things will get done faster." Applejack cringed at the concept of helping these communists with their backward plans. Yet she remembered her obligation, Ponyville would not last the winter if this issue wasn't settled here and now.

'Sure… whatever… anything else?" Applejack spat quickly, eager to end her submission and leave. The wind howled through the pavilion, causing both mares to pull their coats closer around their frames. Iris starred into the orange ponies eyes, as if searching for sincerity or bluff. Applejack could tell Iris didn't want to push the subject, she didn't intend to question her on every grievance. Both ponies stood in another round of silence, starring down one another, officially the tension would be put to rest for the sake of the village, but the conflict between them was still burning out of the public's sight.

Deciding the conversation to be well enough over, Applejack broke her gaze on the red pony and moved to leave the pavilion. As she neared the structures exit and began to feel the icy touch of the outside air, she could feel Iris's eyes tracking her. She maintained a calm, collected pace as her hooves moved over the stone floor, however, once her hooves connected with the dirt and cobblestone of the Ponyville streets, she increased her pace into a slow run.